Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 2,861 to 2,880 of 9,620

Pixelrobin

@ramstrong why not just start with a blogger site, then hand code html gadgets and pages like I did with my Blog? We could have multiple users/admins starting with us and the majority of the site will need some easy configurations then we could add in some custom web coding.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@ramstrong why not just start with a blogger site, then hand code html gadgets and pages like I did with my Blog? We could have multiple users/admins starting with us and the majority of the site will need some easy configurations then we could add in some custom web coding.

Ummm. OK. Do you mind if we take over your blog? Ahem. I meant, contribute materials to your blog.

Randomous: I can set aside a directory on my skydrive for it. No problem.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Hairmanban19

ramstrong wrote:

randomouscrap98 wrote:

So Village now has bugs that fly around, and I thought I'd share the algorithm for their movement. I know nobody asked for it (and probably nobody will use it), but here it is anyway.

Are you kidding? I love this kind of stuff! I'd rather have you post it on Tutorial thread, though.

Hey, since PetitProfessor is no longer there (anybody know what happened?) How about if we do Community Tutorial project and stuff? Begin with Hello World and keep going from there? We need somebody to provide an outline and have everybody fill in the details. What do you think?

Thats a great idea! Cause i have looked on tons of websites to learn BASIC and i haven't been able to learn much!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

ramstrong

hairmanban19 wrote:

Thats a great idea! Cause i have looked on tons of websites to learn BASIC and i haven't been able to learn much!

Don't get your hopes up too high. This is a community project, not a PhD teaching. The quality of material will be dependent upon community, not some genius teacher. In other words, what you get only what you put into it.

I don't see why you haven't been able to learn much if you have looked at tons of websites. It is possible that you are confusing learning the language (technical) and learning how to structure your program (design). All the tutorial/books out there emphasize the technical aspect of it, but none of the design aspect of it. So, that may be the problem. If so, please let us know what kind of trouble you're having, so we can help you.

I can come up with a few simple exercises tied to learning the language, but most people, due to not having proper design skill, always think my project is impossible to do. Then they give up. IMHO, the ability to ask the right questions is a vanishing skill.

EDIT:
Similar to the problem of "Y can't Metroid crawl?" type of thing.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal

Pixelrobin

@ramstrong I shall start a NEW one right away sir!

Edited on by Pixelrobin

damolii

Ok, guys, good news and bad news. Good news, I finished the first minecraft song XD !!!! Bad news, I do not know how to make the s with the line inside it on a keyboard. I am using PTC Utilities because I don't have an SD card. Help will be thanked

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

Pixelrobin

What should we call our site? I was thinking Petit Community. What are your thoughts?

steriaca

Bluerobin2 wrote:

What should we call our site? I was thinking Petit Community. What are your thoughts?

Me? How does "Petit COMPunity" sounds? It blends your ideal, Bluerobin2, and also refers to the program itself.

My Friend Code is 3368-1310-0690.

ramstrong

steriaca wrote:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

Me? How does "Petit COMPunity" sounds? It blends your ideal, Bluerobin2, and also refers to the program itself.

it should say Petit Computer or Petitcom for short so srarch engine can find it easy. add infoas necessary. Petit alone isn't enough. I wont be posting until ju e14 due to hitting my internet limit. sorry.

Petit Computer Journal

Charizord

I am interested in picking this up. Only question: does this app take lots of time or is a nice little thing you do on the side?

Charizord

Pixelrobin

@Charizord that is entirely up to you

GeekDude

PTCommunity
PTC Group / Union
PeopleTC / People That Code
PTCoders / PTCoDerS
ProgrammersTC
PTC on PC

Why did they choose "Petit Computer"? It doesn't abbreviate very well, which makes it hard to come up with witty names for the community to use

GeekDude

Pixelrobin

Ok, we seriously need to decide on a Final name. Soon. BTW @ramstrong live chat is a-go.

randomous

Why can't it just be really thorough and call it "Petit Computer Community Tutorials"?

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Sniper101

I like PTCommunity.

Sniper101

3DS Friend Code: 2208-4619-7423

Pixelrobin

PTCommunity
Going once

Discostew

@Bluerobin2 Sorry, I had been tied up with other things, including inspiration about my project which I just had to test. Anyways, I took into account your concerns. Your filter is back in, and the menu doesn't bug out if the GRP doesn't exist. I have the menu hidden during pixelation, but it displays the 4th GRP slot (which is basically nothing). So long as that doesn't get used, it should work fine. I can't use VISIBLE to hide it because it will affect the top screen too.

Now, about the custom COL. Its only purpose is for those GRPs that are not using the default palette, which is quite possible if someone were to make one using GRPED or import one from PTCUtilities (which I did for my test). There's no way for those GRPs to be pixelated correctly without the accompanying COL file if they used one. I have made a solution to this. If it so happens that the GRP isn't normal for the program, then it asks to load a COL file. It won't ask for a name. I restricted it so that the COL name must be the same as the GRP name. Only 2 options are given via button presses. (A) for yes, and (B) for no. If Yes, then it will attempt to load the COL of the same name, then pixelate. If it can't find the COL file, then it exits like when a GRP isn't found. If No, then it will rely on the default palette to best deal with it. If the GRP used the default 256 colors, and you select No, then expect a good approximation. If it required a custom COL, and you select No, then expect the result to be a random rainbow mess (which uses the base 15 colors).

Untitled

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Pixelrobin

@Discostew Can't we just manually assign all the other colors to the 15 using IF statements? It would seem less of a hassle...
Anyways, thanks for all your help. I will scan it as soon as Nintendo gives me my 3DS back.

Discostew

@Bluerobin2 GRPs contain absolutely no color information whatsoever. It doesn't know whether the supplied palette is the one designed for it. It doesn't even know if the default palette is designed for it. It isn't like 8-bit BMPs where the file contains both the color table and index table. It contains only an index table consisting of 256x192 indexes that range between 0 and 255, inclusive. It will display using whatever palette is currently set, even if it wasn't designed for it. In such a case, you'll see the structure of the image, but it will be displayed in a jumbled mess. Trust me on this.

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

GeekDude

To start messing with touch input, I made this whiteboard style program. Any idea why when you quickly draw diagonally, sometimes the points that are read are exactly in the wrong spot (e.g. to the top left forming a perfect right angle)?
Untitled

GeekDude

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic