Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 241 to 260 of 9,620

MikeDanger

Boy I am lost with this game(app?)

Fan of: Shin Megami Tensei/ (Classic) Mega Man/ Pokemon/ Batman Arkham/ Metal Gear Solid/Peanuts/ DBZ/ Regular Show/ Power Rangers/The Walking Dead/ Invincible/ Detective Comics/ Secret Six/ Immortal Iron Fist/ Lobo/ Green Lantern
Colors 3D:

Kemba

MikeDanger1 wrote:

Boy I am lost with this game(app?)

Generally you would want to go into it knowing a little bit of BASIC (Or programming language in general. I started in Turing and went touchy-feely towards BASIC)... It's not really a mainstream-everybody-buy-it application unless you just want to scan QR codes from others. Basically, if you don't know programming, maybe this can help, or just use it to read QR codes that other people post so you can enjoy their games at your own pace.

Kemba

Valiance

Hmm, I'm currently trying to make a text-based adventure, and was going to eventually add scr files to display on the top screen while displaying text on the bottom. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag: Call me daft, but I can't seem to find the button values for the 'BTRIG()' command. Does anyone have a list they could post for reference?

Note: I do know that 'BTRIG() == 16' is A, 'BTRIG() == 32' is B and 'BTRIG() == 1024' is Start.

@Kemba: The QR Codes for those programs are listed somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw them. Additionally, there are a few user-made blogs from Japanese users containing QR Codes floating around.

EDIT: Found the list, its within topic 24 (Console Entry, BUTTON() page) of the manual.

Edited on by Valiance

I own the following online- capable games:
3DS- Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
I play the following online MMO's:
Spiral Knights (Unknownlord; recently became inactive)
Trackmania Nations Forever (active/ monthly)

Kemba

Valiance wrote:

Hmm, I'm currently trying to make a text-based adventure, and was going to eventually add scr files to display on the top screen while displaying text on the bottom. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag: Call me daft, but I can't seem to find the button values for the 'BTRIG()' command. Does anyone have a list they could post for reference?

Note: I do know that 'BTRIG() == 16' is A, 'BTRIG() == 32' is B and 'BTRIG() == 1024' is Start.

@Kemba: The QR Codes for those programs are listed somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw them. Additionally, there are a few user-made blogs from Japanese users containing QR Codes floating around.

the QR's are linked in the youtube descriptions.

Also, Unclesporky had a good skeleton for text adventures, I can't remember where it is. Also also, I have already made one with text on the top and images on the bottom... I did it with GRP files though. If you could stand to draw the images you need Morphtroid and I have gone over it earlier in the thread..

Kemba

Valiance

@Kemba I've looked around and seen Unclesporky's thread about his template, but wanted to learn from scratch. I don't think I'll attempt to use graphics until after I've finished the whole program.

There's another problem I've stumbled across: I figured out how to make a button input change a scene, but when I use multiple BTRIG() == commands at once only one of the button inputs work, and requires a rapid double-press (even though I put in a simple BTRIG() command without an input check state) The code I've written is as follows:

CLS
PRINT "TEXT ADVENTURE"
WAIT 120
BGMPLAY 3
GOTO @ENTRANCE
WAIT 1
@ENTRANCE
PRINT "Welcome to the land of Fantasy."
PRINT "YOU ARE IN A FORESTED AREA."
PRINT "THERE IS A PATH LEADING AHEAD TO A TOWN."
WAIT 240
PRINT "Use the Control Pad on your"
PRINT "Nintendo 3DS or DSi to navigate."
PRINT "Press start to quit."
PRINT "UP: Head to town"
@STARTLOOPENT1 (this is where the problem seems to be occuring; either one or the other works, but not both)
IF BTRIG() != 1024 THEN GOTO @STARTLOOPENT1
WAIT 1
@STARTLOOPENT2
IF BTRIG() != 1 THEN GOTO @STARTLOOPENT2
WAIT 1
@INPUTLOOPENT
IF BTRIG() == 1024 THEN GOTO @ENDGAME
IF BTRIG() == 1 THEN GOTO @TOWN
GOTO @INPUTLOOPENT
WAIT 1

(then, at the end of the program)
@ENDGAME
PRINT "Thank you for playing!"
BGMSTOP
END

EDIT: I think I might have to set a 'BUTTON()' variable for each of the buttons I'm using first...

Edited on by Valiance

ShawnWilson

@Taya I hope you do well with your game because I dig pet simulation games.

ShawnWilson

Mk_II

@Valance: does the label @TOWN exist somewhere else in the code?
Not sure what yu are trying to do this way but i would remove all code from @STARTLOOPENT1 and @STARLOOPENT2, like this:

[...]
PRINT "UP: Head to town"
@INPUTLOOPENT
IF BTRIG() == 1024 THEN GOTO @ENDGAME
IF BTRIG() == 1 THEN GOTO @TOWN
GOTO @INPUTLOOPENT
etc...

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

Valiance

@Mk_II: Hmm, I never thought of that. I'll rewrite the sections into what you suggested. Also, the code I posted was only a portion, but it was where the problem was occuring.

EDIT: Everything appears to be cleared up Thank you very much.

EDIT2: I've now coded the first area. It's a town by the name of Rosewood.

Edited on by Valiance

ejamer

Totally not my work, but I really enjoyed watching this and thought others might too:

(Hint: If you dislike Mega Man, then feel free to skip this link.)

A lot of content missing from this "work in progress", but it's still awesome to see. Wonder how many lines of code this take up?

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Valiance

@ejamer That is awesome. I'd definitely want to see what the full game has to offer. Now if only someone made a game based off of F-Zero and/or Xtreme 1 and 2...

Edited on by Valiance

Mk_II

@Valance: the BTRIG() probably clears the key buffer after reading a key. that would explain having to press twice.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

neoxid500

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks to all everyone who's been helping out with some of us who don't understand BASIC yet. I've actually been following this forum thread for a while and just made the account, and I've been able to get a basic comprehension of what I'm doing now =P. Anyway, thanks you guys, expect a few questions from me as I work on my first game. It's a bit like COD overhead view, or I suppose more accurately Go:Series Undead Storm except people can shoot back at you and there are a few more weapons. So again, thanks for the help! (specifically with how to load custom sprites, I didn't realize there was an actual "LOAD" command XD)

neoxid500

6ch6ris6

i am getting more confident that i will buy this just to play all the games YOU are creating xD

maybe i will try to program later^^

now the game just needs to come to europe. stupid localization. i can speak english!!! just gimmie the damn game

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Peidorrento

Does anyone knows how to save and load a single variable in a file? I couldn't figure out googling it... I found that it has something to do with a "mem" file, but I don't understand how to manipulate it.

"A vingança nunca é plena, mata a alma e a envenena" - Seu Madruga
Presidente, CEO, Programador e único empregado da Peidosoft.
https://www.facebook.com/nonamefornowsoft

JKCB97

I have no IDEA how to use pedit computer. If some one could send me links to learn BASIC and pedit computer in general i would appreciate it! I've been able to do what the manual told me to (PRINT "WORDS" BEEP) and then get the Line across the edit screen i beleive. But other than that have no Knowledge about computer programing. My email is [email protected] .

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have them"
"Too much proof to be proven"
Shigeru Miyamoto for president!!!!

Eel

Peidorrento wrote:

Does anyone knows how to save and load a single variable in a file? I couldn't figure out googling it... I found that it has something to do with a "mem" file, but I don't understand how to manipulate it.

You need to use the variable MEM$.
As you can see it is an alphanumeric variable so you'll need to use the command STR$(Variable) to save numbers on it.
MEM$ can contain only 255 characters (or was it 256?) so you need to think of a good way to use that space.
After you fill MEM$ with the contents you want to save just use SAVE "MEM:name", that will save all the contents of MEM$ on the MEM file named "name".

Example:
MEM$=STR$(highscore)
SAVE "MEM:HSCORES"

To load it back, you need to use LOAD "MEM:name", that will replace the local MEM$ variable with the contents on the MEM file named "name".
Then you can start reading MEM$, since it is actually a string of characters, if you want to read numbers you'll need to use VAL(string).

Example:
LOAD "MEM:HSCORES"
highscore=VAL(MEM$)

If you have more than one value stored on MEM$, then you'll have to use MID$ or something similar to search through MEM$.
And of course you can save and load more than one MEM file for the same program, but there is only one MEM$ variable.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Peidorrento

Thanks man! I'll go for a run now. As soon as I get back, I'll try this.

EDIT: Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot! Now I have to work on the "Options" menu and it is all done. Can't wait to work on "Invaders 2: O Retorno"!

Morphtroid wrote:

Peidorrento wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

You need to use the variable MEM$.
As you can see it is an alphanumeric variable so you'll need to use the command STR$(Variable) to save numbers on it.
MEM$ can contain only 255 characters (or was it 256?) so you need to think of a good way to use that space.
After you fill MEM$ with the contents you want to save just use SAVE "MEM:name", that will save all the contents of MEM$ on the MEM file named "name".

Example:
MEM$=STR$(highscore)
SAVE "MEM:HSCORES"

To load it back, you need to use LOAD "MEM:name", that will replace the local MEM$ variable with the contents on the MEM file named "name".
Then you can start reading MEM$, since it is actually a string of characters, if you want to read numbers you'll need to use VAL(string).

Example:
LOAD "MEM:HSCORES"
highscore=VAL(MEM$)

If you have more than one value stored on MEM$, then you'll have to use MID$ or something similar to search through MEM$.
And of course you can save and load more than one MEM file for the same program, but there is only one MEM$ variable.

[/div]

Edited on by Peidorrento

Valiance

An update on my text adventure: It's up to the beginning of part 3 (out of either 4 or five parts). I just realized that I'll have to rewrite the whole darn thing in PTCUtilities afterwards, and I'm up to 700+ lines of code...

Edited on by Valiance

Peidorrento

So there it is. The "retail version" of my invaders port. It is very simple but I think it is better to start simple.
There are 2 dificulty levels which will give different points count. It saves your Highscore.
The graphics are the same as before:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7640/graphbk.png
The code:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7163/invaders9.png
Enjoy and please give me some feedback!

Edited on by Peidorrento

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic