Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 9,620

Gimmemorecoinz

Okay everyone I've made a new image file in order to show you what's really going on.
I posted the raw sprite things themselves to. If you want me to upload the sprite sheet I'm using for link's sword seperately and see if somone else
can get it to work the way you guys keep saying to sure.
But before anyone tries to give me anymore advice they should look at what this is doing.
I checked the checkbox that says sprite btw, I also unchecked it.
To clear up any confusion that means, I loaded the qrs both with it checked and with it unchecked, but each time, I reloaded the png image file.
So it wouldn't get scrambled (When it's being displayed inside of ptc utilities)
I'm assuming that if it's not scrambled inside ptcutilities it won't be scrambled inside of petit computer as long as I have the sizing right.
I don't know what's going on with this.
http://imgur.com/IkBQlvK

Load in all the QRS and run it, then try to help me figure out the issue.
I don't think it's related to how I'm exporting my sprites that doesn't make sense since I tried every way possible already.
Read the code here: http://pastebin.com/E1qxGDn8

Also, in this version link can now move in all four directions. HOORAY!

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Pixelrobin

ramstrong wrote:

Thanks for the improvements. Need your last name in there, Mike.

I'd rather keep it as mike. I am entering something else as well.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Pixelrobin

Speaking of which, Who will enter this game?

Hairmanban19

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

@hairmanban19

Thanks, I can't wait either. I'm starting more work on it tonight/tommorow if when I come back from the dentist I don't feel all messed up.
I'm going to try to import some lttp tilesets soon and see how it goes splitting them up and re-rendering one of the areas from LTTP.
I can't believe how many QR codes I end up generating just from simple things like one of link's sprite sheets, and that's just walking in one direction.
I'm going to have to really , be careful with how I use sprites... but that's OK I think.
I want to get some basic menus working. I've messed with adding in some music from LTTP using Qmidi studio's feature.

An update on what i've changed so far: I added an update timer for when link walks that way , the animation has time to finish and it loops when he walks.
The values, at the header of the program after the music (MML) data, are adjustable.
Changing the amount of time between ticks (cpu clock cycles as it were) , or "counts", changes how long it waits between frames but also slows down links
actual animation.
I'll be adding some other things to the engine soon, that will help me control the framerate of the sprites, and I'll be adding a real framerate counter soon as well into the mainloop as part of a subroutine.

Here's what I'm working on right now: Making link walk in all four directions.
Importing more sprites/music: Creating a new spritesheet for link and finishing the first one.
Better sprite timing: Link's walking and movement animations.

Eventually...add in a full map and have it up and running.
The plan for the future is to create an editor for pc that contains all the code for the LTTP game engine, and map data as well.
That way, the editor can just generate the data statements and they can be pasted into the game that way.
That's after I figure out what format I want to use for the data statements.
So yeah. and.. when alot of that stuff is done I'll release the editor as well, for people to use and mess with, along with the full game code.
It'll be in a project zip file containing the QRS, the actual code files itself in plaintext, and as a PTC file. So you can edit it without having to import from QR first. Which will be nice -.-"

And I'm going to give the game engine it's own scripting system for things like "door_open:left"
so I'm going to be adding a subscript string parser...
The level headers themselves well rather the room headers are going to contain information about what room to load upon specific events.
Or what actions to perform upon specific events.
Ie: All_enemies_in_room=dead: result=North_door OPEN"

In the editor I'm making, a chest will be able to be invisible at first, the game engine won't draw it nor will it check for collision. Then it will be able to appear, along with the sound effect of it appearing.

This is the only way I can do certain actions that are room specific so a system like this for the engine is needed.
In order to simplify the entire process, I'll load the scripts from external files to save room in the program itself.

A little help with figuring out how to store the data for each room would be nice from anyone who has experience with this. Not tiledata, but script data.
I'm going to try to limit the script for each room to about two lines of real code. So even if I can't store the data externally that'll be ok.

I think that's about it. If anybody wants to help me create graphic sheets that are compatible with ptc utilities/petit computer that include link sprites or enemy sprites please let me know. I'm going to have to map out which sprite indexes will be used for which rooms and how many sprites on screen at once.
I'm debating a maximum of 25 to 50 sprites. Per dungeon. And 10-15 sprites maximum per over world.

One issue I'm going to have is sprite transparencies. Or multiple foreground bg layers that have transparency. Does petit computer support that?

Sounds great!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Hairmanban19

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Okay here's an update. if anyone is watching my posts. Link to the past for Petit Computer is coming along.

I've nearly perfected the movement and animation aspects of controlling link's sprites, which I can recode later on in order to create a re usable routine
to control alot of sprites. Erm.. I can use it for almost any normal sized sprite in the game or any sprite in the game that has link's sizing.

WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY here's link to the past for petit computer version 0.3 ALPHA.
http://imgur.com/lhg9fmz

Enjoy! I hope you really like it. As per request.. if you guys tell me what part of the game you'd like to see added most first, tell me.
I'll code any of the items for link, no mobs and no levels yet.
I'll add any item to the game right now, that is items link can use. Such as the hookshot, boomerang.. you get the idea.
Also I'm going to be adding simple chests, the "discovery" sound effect. And a few other things.. Eventually the addition of enemies will be added, BUT...
those enemies will need to be coded specially since later they will only exist in specific maps.
That's all I guess. I hope you're all looking foreward to the first "challenge" level of the game. traditionally, I could COULD start by adding the LAMP but I'm unsure about how exciting lighting torches is for everyone.

Its getting better!

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

One issue I'm going to have is sprite transparencies. Or multiple foreground bg layers that have transparency. Does petit computer support that?

Transparency, or translucency? Sorry if I make a point of this, but in computer graphics, transparency usually refers to cropping out of pixels (like for sprites against a background), while translucency usually refers to blending in to make it "see-through". Anyways, Petit Computer doesn't support translucency, but you could imitate it somewhat by flickering the specific sprites/BGs on and off rapidly. With BGs at least, you can set their visibility through VISIBLE, but for sprites, you'll have to either move the sprites on and off the visible area, or set the sprite's graphic back and forth to one that is completely blank/transparent.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Hairmanban19

@Gimmemorecoinz i know this not the place for it but please add my Friend Code,its in my signature,my name is Matt,what is your Friend Code?

Pixelrobin

@Gimmiemorecoinz, Have you considered starting a blog? You'd be good at that kind of thing. Also would you like to contribute in the group program? Please answer before doing anything though.

@Ramstrong, Sorry if I was rude. And you can change anything you wish. Alas, That was the only way I knew how to generate the 'background'. Technically, Its not a background, but decorations. Taxes got in your way? Oh no. Im going to have to do taxes soon... that can't be good...

Gimmemorecoinz

@hairmanban19 I can't give it to you right now I don't have my 3DS with me. I can give it to you later on though if you stick around the forums.

@bluerobin2 I have considered starting a blog but not one specifically for petit computer but I kind of added it to my blog site. I'm not the best at choosing the whole lay-out thing and I'm a bit new to making blogs.
I would love to contribute to your group program I love trying to be part of bigger projects but I've never been that good at it before. I'm still learning with Petit Computer but as for general programming I'm okay at it. So basically yes sure I'd love to

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

Nitras wrote:

In PTCUtilities, check the little box that says "sprite" next to the image field.

I tried that. Didn't work. :/ And I uncheck it to and it even gets more scrambled

Anonymous_Ninja

@gimmemorecoinz yeah i misunderstood you, sorry about that. as far as i can tell from reading your code you didnt make a mistake in your coding, i havent downloaded the code so i will as soon as i get a chance.
one thing though instead of using SPSET each time you need to change something use SPCHR which is made for what your doing. it changes the color, character, ect. but without resetting or moving the sprite, which saves time (once you get all the different commands in the loop you'll need every bit of time you can save) unless you already knew that.

Edited on by Anonymous_Ninja

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

Gimmemorecoinz

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Transparency, or translucency? Sorry if I make a point of this, but in computer graphics, transparency usually refers to cropping out of pixels (like for sprites against a background), while translucency usually refers to blending in to make it "see-through". Anyways, Petit Computer doesn't support translucency, but you could imitate it somewhat by flickering the specific sprites/BGs on and off rapidly. With BGs at least, you can set their visibility through VISIBLE, but for sprites, you'll have to either move the sprites on and off the visible area, or set the sprite's graphic back and forth to one that is completely blank/transparent.

Transparently. Can a tile have a transparent color in it.

@hairmanban19 My friendcode is: 3639-4327-6055

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Yes, you can. The very first color of each palette row is the transparency color, and any tiles/sprites/etc that have pixels assigned to that will not have those pixels drawn.

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz

bluerobin2 wrote:

@gimmemorecoinz, when @ramstrong releases the new qrs, You can take it on.

Alright sounds good!

KAHN

this question is directed mainly at @Discostew , but anyone can answer if they want. how do i make the screen scroll so my sprite is always in the middle of the screen?

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Discostew

0SP_ZELDAiii wrote:

this question is directed mainly at @Discostew , but anyone can answer if they want. how do i make the screen scroll so my sprite is always in the middle of the screen?

I assume you know how to make your level/map scroll, right? Well, that is based off a position relative to the top-left of the screen. Now, imagine your sprite is in the level/map, having its own position relative to what it is in. If you set the level/map's position based on your sprite's position, but offset by <-128,-96>, then that should allow you to "center" your sprite in the next step. For all sprites at that point (including the one being focused on), they each have their own positions in the level/map, so find out the difference between their position and the level/map's set position now, and use that result for placing those sprites relative to what you see on the screen. For example

The focused sprite is at "map" position <232,102>. Another sprite is at "map" position <160,150>, which is down and to the left of the focused sprite
Set the map's position to <232-128,102-96>, which is <104,6>
Set the focus sprite's "screen" position to <232-104,102-6>, which is no coincidence to be <128,96>, the very center of the screen (if the HOME position of the sprite is at the center of it)
Set the additional sprite's "screen" position to <160-104,150-6>, which is at <56,144>, still down and to the left of where the focused sprite is placed, both relative to the map, and relative to the screen.

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

MrSirr

I guess nobody noticed so I'll say it again. I NEED HELP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I don't know how to make a man move over to a car (use the eariler post with my program) and get in it and drive it. AND REMEMBER the car should be faster than the man (obviously) thanks!

MrSirr

Hairmanban19

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

It says your Friend code is not valid.

Gimmemorecoinz

hairmanban19 wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Discostew wrote:

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

It says your Friend code is not valid.

Sorry.. omg... I hope I'm not going dyslexic. It's 3969-4327-6055 and my name on there is Rain

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic