Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 9,620

MrSirr

It helped a lot, I finally got my car to move in all directions! Including upleft(BUTTON()==5) and all those. Thx randomnousman!

MrSirr

Discostew

@Gimmemorecoinz

Do you have Quicktime installed/updated on your computer. The functionality to import and convert images in PTCUtilities relies on it.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz

Discostew wrote:

@Gimmemorecoinz

Do you have Quicktime installed/updated on your computer. The functionality to import and convert images in PTCUtilities relies on it.

Okay, my only remaining question now is this.
WHY?! and..
why didn't anyone mention this in ANY of their posts or tutorials that I've seen so far (Not saying somone didn't at all just saying it wasn't easy enough a fact
to find on google to start with.)

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

MrSirr wrote:

It helped a lot, I finally got my car to move in all directions! Including upleft(BUTTON()==5) and all those. Thx randomnousman!

I love to see people get excited over their first working code. It brings back such wonderful memories and joy.

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Hairmanban19

bluerobin2 wrote:

@Ramstrong
OK here is the new Coral maze. The basic principal is there, but it needs (a lot) Of polishing and a better GUI.
The game:
Untitled
Its needs a little shorting though. I bet the code could be simpler.
Here is the updated version of @Morphtroids sprites:
Untitled
Yeah, Do whatever you want. We have 19 days.
I think that it is going in the right direction. It needs:
*A better GUI
*Harder arrangement (Maybe)
*Better sound @Morphtroid did a good job with p farm hint hint
Also, I finished this at night so there are mistakes at line 151 and 153. They are if statments. It should be pretty easy to fix.
From now on, I won't be able to work on it much. I am in the process of shortning Temple Raid and putting on finishing touches.

Thank you
-Bluerobin2

Thanks for this.Its fun to watch it generate the map!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

Discostew wrote:

@Gimmemorecoinz

Okay, my only remaining question now is this.
WHY?! and..
why didn't anyone mention this in ANY of their posts or tutorials that I've seen so far (Not saying somone didn't at all just saying it wasn't easy enough a fact
to find on google to start with.)

I've mentioned it at least once or twice in this thread that PTCUtilities requires Quicktime for some functionality. It's easy to understand why the programmer went that route. If the wheel is made, then don't re-invent it. Doing so just wastes time.

Discostew

MrSirr

Ok so heres my progress so far, if u want to help, that would be GREAT. In fact, if you could, plz help. Like i dont know how to set where the sprites are, there location. Anyways,

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4990/qr0s.png

And heres the Characters

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6375/qr0.png

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/596/qr1.png

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2391/qr2n.png

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/451/qr3.png

I'm finally starting to get the hang of sprites thanks to you guys thx! Help is greatly appreciated! I'll give credit to you guys!

Edited on by MrSirr

MrSirr

Justlink

@gimmiemorecoinz
do you know spscale? if u don't, its used like this.
spset 0,64,0,0,0,0
spofs 0,50,50
spscale 0,200 [200 largest #]

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Gimmemorecoinz

Okay I know I said I'd produce results. first of all A BIG HUGE THANK YOU to DiscoStew who made the post that made it possible for me to get these custom sprites to work.

Here's the first demo of link, able to move with the D pad
Yes, it was sweat and blood and almost tears but I got it to work.

http://imgur.com/lg8NlR2

There is the image link! Scan those QR CODES , hopefully nothings broken . :/
It works on my 3ds.

And a question towards DiscoStew: How do I get past the pallete limitations seems like I can only load in one pallete.
Does that pallette apply to every single last sprite?
how can I get around this? link to the past is a colorful game.
Could I create a function that is fast enough to set the pallete and then draw different sprites?
If I change the sprite pallete, will it change something that's already been drawn on the screen for "this" frame?

Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: Well I thought why post needlessly more posts?
I've updated the movement a bit, and changed a few tiny things. Note: to see the animation it's better if you tap the foreward button rather than
hold it.

http://imgur.com/yGVQvlR

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

Anonymous_Ninja

@gimmemorecoinz you can load different pallates for sprites and background, if you didn't already know. other than that you have to use one pallet at a time, but you can have more than one for different areas that have the same spots for link and items but the rest changed for enemies ect. and load them up as you need them.
@MrSirr one trick for your car game since you said you were going to controll a guy or the car is that you can assign labels to text variables, like
label$=@kumquat
goto label$
that way you can have one loop for the man and one for the car without losing time on IF commands to goto each.

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

ChangeV

Here is my plan for petit computer 1 minute compo.
Untitled
I wrote down the general idea on some masking tape.
If thing goes well, it will have simple 1 minute mode and endless mode.

ChangeV

Justlink

@gimmemorecoinz
use can use only one pallete at one time when creating them, but when you use spset, the third number used is the pallete number. The number for pallete you built your sprites is the one you enter there
ex: i built a brown sprite with 8
load "spu1:brown",false
spset 0,64,8,0,0,0

steriaca

Me? I consider myself a beginer. All I can realy do are text games based on 'guess and/or avoid a random number'. Anyone worth there grain of salt programing can do such a program (like my BOMB and BOMB2). The only other text game I did was ZOMBIE HORDE, which is basicly a fighting engen using random numbers. Looking over the code, one can see slopy code (not nesasary 'spagetie code', but experts could easly overhall it and do it better with less lines of code).

My Friend Code is 3368-1310-0690.

MrSirr

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

MrSirr wrote:

I love to see people get excited over their first working code. It brings back such wonderful memories and joy.

I've made more programs, just not with sprites, I looked and looked but couldn't find info on them thx guys!

MrSirr

Anonymous_Ninja

i know, by pallate i ment all 16 that you save together, sorry for the confusion.

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

boot

ok any one helping on pokemon ,I need to know who is good at:
sprite art
making visual animations
battle simulators
and story.
this is all I can think of now but there will be more.

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

randomous

@boot Speaking of Pokemon, the movement in the overworld is a rather interesting thing to think about implementing. The game is divided up into cells, and you can move between individual cells by just tapping the direction button. However, you can also hold the direction button and move smoothly between them as if there aren't any cells, but you're still snapped to a grid. Thus, you'll have to be able to stop listening to button presses while the character is being animated across a cell (otherwise you could move the character off the "grid"), and then immediately start reading again as soon as it's done. Finally, if you go back and play Pokemon (or pretty much any grid-based game), you'll notice that if you hold a direction then start also holding another direction, your character will switch to the new direction (even though you're pressing two directions). Then, if you lift your hand off the new direction and continue holding the old direction, your character will go back to the old direction. For instance, if you're holding right, your character will of course move right. However, if you then start also holding down while holding right, you'll start going down. Then, if you release down (still holding right of course), you'll start heading right again. This is the movement scheme I used in Village, so if you'd like some example code, I wouldn't mind explaining it (the code is messy, so it might be hard to look at it and just tell what it does). Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to tell you what to do, I just thought I'd bring up a topic of interest in regards to implementing a Pokemon game.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Justlink

@boot
i'm not go at making sprites, but i'm good at controlling their movement. Also, i would like to help with your story line.

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

And a question towards DiscoStew: How do I get past the pallete limitations seems like I can only load in one pallete.
Does that pallette apply to every single last sprite?
how can I get around this? link to the past is a colorful game.
Could I create a function that is fast enough to set the pallete and then draw different sprites?
If I change the sprite pallete, will it change something that's already been drawn on the screen for "this" frame?

Any help is appreciated.

Re-creating that game is an ambitious goal. As others have said, you can assign each sprite to use one of the 16 available palette rows it has (each having 16 colors if you include the transparency color). Unfortunately, this only limits you to 16 rows at any given time. Unlike many 2D engines that rely on "display buffers" that render graphics to it before the buffer gets displayed, the DS's 2D hardware (along the lines of the NES, GBA, etc) refresh the screen automatically with no buffer. It literally renders the BG layers, sprites, etc the moment its refresh cycle (which runs at 60hz) begins, and this is done internally, outside of code execution. Command like VSync halt code execution to keep it in line with the refresh rate, but nothing stops the refreshing cycle. So, the moment you change a color on the palette, anything that was using that color index will automatically change in the next frame.

Now, a game like Link to the Past is limited by this same thing, where there are a limited number of sprite palette rows it can use (it might be 16, but I don't know if it is also 16 colors total for each), but, with each screen the character moves to, it may have to swap out some palette rows for different sprites. Unfortunately, you would have to use COLSET and set them in yourself. While you can do it that way, you'd have to have the palette on-hand in code form and not as a file (preventing you from using PTCUtilities to build the palette) that you use the LOAD command with, as the LOAD command loads a complete 256 color palette.

But, you do have an option, but only if you aren't currently using it. If you aren't using GRPs, then you could try this. Imagine you've got 32 unique color palette rows (spread in 2 COL files, 16 in each). If you need only one of the rows from a particular file, you could load that file into the GRP palette, and then on that row, use COLREAD to grab each color in that row, and use COLSET to write it into the sprite palette row of your choosing. Reading/writing to the palette is a little slow, but if you only do this during the loading sections, it shouldn't be a problem.

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz

@Anonymous_Ninja: Thanks for that , I was a bit afraid I'd be stuck using one ROW of a pallete for everything. Now I realize what you meant. That helps a bit.

@Discostew: Thank you for explaining that so well. Is there any way I can control when the next frame occurs?
using a grp file to store the pallette and doing it that way seems the best way around pallete limitations, I don't mind some lag during changing of scenes.
People will just have to deal with that lag if they choose to play it.

What about bigger, open scrolling areas? I guess I'm going to have to examine lttp's design a little and figure out how many different types of sprites
are in a single room. Come to think of it, in alot of dungeons, specific enemies are always very common.
The boss fights might be difficult to code.. hmm.. that's OK though. I think I can figure that part out later.
I'm realizing now I'm going to have to design each map in the game, and create a loading and unloading routine for maps.
If I include a list of what pallette to load, under what maps and match the maps to each pallette it might not be too hard.
The first two pallette entries I think should be for link's items... if each item sprite has it's own pallette that might be had to work around I think I have an idea for that. Probably during the start menu the pallette will change so link's items display correctly. I'll capture the overworld screen in a GRP file
that way the tiles and stuff appear to still be there since all game movement is halted anyway, then I can display the exact screen the player was just in (like a pause point) and scroll the border, and sprites for the start menu downwards.

You're right about this being an ambitious project but I've always wanted to remake LTTP but never had any reason to for pc since there's so many mods/remakes already. But with petit computer there aren't any yet. And I figured.. if I can develop a remake of link to the past (I know the approach I have to take already to a point) Then I can learn alot more about how my favourite game (one of them), is designed and put together.

And I'm already considering, doing a complete remake of the original first, maybe miniaturize some dungeons.
Then, do a unique version, keeping alot of the same design concepts in mind.
If I compress the data I need for the maps and the maps current pallette or if I make it so that each room can have it's own pallette, and have
methods for handling that then I can technically have as many pallettes as I want, limited to one per room.

As for the scrolling rooms in the game I'm going to need an update method that can scroll the tiles smoothly enough that the game updates in real time. I don't want it to feel choppy. Your megaman 2 engine runs pretty decently, but I think for something like lttp, for example when link gets the pegasus boots, I'm going to need a much faster update. Luckily with things like the pegasus boots in the original he can't run diagonally.

Right now it's not so much the programming that's an issue, I know alot about how to do maps, and tile engines etc.
It's worrying about how the hardware is going to deal with all this since petit is an interpreted language and I don't have direct access to the 3Ds's internal hardware, or processing power.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic