Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 221 to 240 of 9,620

JohnDoe123

Thanks for all the help you gave me, @DrKarl and @Morphtroid. I'm disappointed I couldn't get the game part working, but it still wouldn't have been very fun. I think I'm done with Petit Computer now.

Edited on by JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

Taya

My game is finally starting to resemble something playable! Still has a long way to go, but I love seeing progress.

Untitled

Taya

Eel

OH! You're making a tamagotchi?!

My Petit Farm started as one, I love pet sims.
Good luck with your project, I want to play it.

@EmpireIndustries: I hope you continue working with Petit Computer in the future, you know, you can only get better!

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Kemba

If you're making a tamagotchi, I am downloading it. :>

Kemba

Valiance

Hello all, I've recently joined the forums and wanted to learn how to use this application. I've made a number guessing game based off the brief tutorial shown on another site ("simple tutorial to help with the basics", GameFAQS forum), but want to be able to make something more... complex. To be honest, I was tempted to join the forum because of Morphtroids' 'Petit Farm' program.

Here are some suggestions I had for games using the smileBASIC language:

-Drift Racing game with a mountain pass theme
-Sandbox Racer where you see how long you can last against cops in a city (using graphics akin to GTA 1 and 2)
-Making an Advance Wars clone from the graphics sets released on the official japanese site (http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_present/html_present03.php). you'll have to navigate it a bit to find the other sets through Google translate.
-Porting some older BASIC games into smileBASIC
-A side scrolling survival game using Front Mission: Gun Hazard-esque sprites where you see how long you can protect a base from aerial bombings and mechs
-A 3D shooter in first-person with a cockpit view; the player shoots down enemies and lands at the base to refuel
-A 3D first-person shooter, also with a tank-like cockpit view; player has to protect a city using dual rocket-launchers at a fixed point on the map.

Edited on by Valiance

I own the following online- capable games:
3DS- Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
I play the following online MMO's:
Spiral Knights (Unknownlord; recently became inactive)
Trackmania Nations Forever (active/ monthly)

JohnDoe123

@Valiance Welcome to the forums!
I'd recommend starting with much simpler programs than the ones you listed. BASIC isn't very well suited to 3D games, but they are theoretically possible.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

Valiance

EmpireIndustries wrote:

@Valiance Welcome to the forums!
I'd recommend starting with much simpler programs than the ones you listed. BASIC isn't very well suited to 3D games, but they are theoretically possible.

Thanks Empire!
I understand that making a 3D game with smileBASIC is difficult, I was only listing some suggestions. I'd rather start small and work my way up

Edited on by Valiance

Peidorrento

Here it is. It is very simple, still needs some twiking, but I couldn't wait. I think I forgot to uncomment the first line, which loads the custom graphics.

Graphics:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7640/graphbk.png
Invaders:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6180/invad.png
Please, be nice on the comments

"A vingança nunca é plena, mata a alma e a envenena" - Seu Madruga
Presidente, CEO, Programador e único empregado da Peidosoft.
https://www.facebook.com/nonamefornowsoft

retired_account

bro2dragons wrote:

I'm just waiting for @pixelman to make a game on here. Once he does, I'll download this app, boot up his game and go to town.

Not literally. I'll probably lay in my bed in my dragon-y underoos for eight or nine hours playing the thing in the privacy of my own home. I wouldn't do that in town. And it wouldn't really be the same appropriately dressed. True art never is.

Haha, I think programming on a DS would drive me mad. I think it'd be neat to make an app similar to Petit for computers though. i.e. easy-to-share games, small file sizes, a simple scripting language.

retired_account

Valiance

I have a question regarding the character files [CHR]. Whenever I load one into the CHRED program, it doesn't display in the proper colours; it appears red, blue and purple. However, other programs that I've downloaded via QR code display the CHR files without any problems. Is there a way to fix this, or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I figured it out. The option to change the colour was staring at me the whole time.

Edited on by Valiance

Peidorrento

Valiance wrote:

I have a question regarding the character files [CHR]. Whenever I load one into the CHRED program, it doesn't display in the proper colours; it appears red, blue and purple. However, other programs that I've downloaded via QR code display the CHR files without any problems. Is there a way to fix this, or am I doing something wrong?

You might be choosing the wrong palete. Did you check that?

EDIT: Solved

Edited on by Peidorrento

Eel

pixelman wrote:

Haha, I think programming on a DS would drive me mad. I think it'd be neat to make an app similar to Petit for computers though. i.e. easy-to-share games, small file sizes, a simple scripting language.

Well, you could use that Petit Computer Utilities thing, it allows you to edit your programs on your computer and generate a QR code to load them back to the DSiWare.

@Peidorrento: It seems to be a good game, but I think it isn't loading the correct graphics or something... Because all I see on the screen are half drawn arrows!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Peidorrento

Sorry about that. As I said: load invader4 first in "write a program" and take the ' from the first line. That should do it

Morphtroid wrote:

pixelman wrote:

[/div]

Well, you could use that Petit Computer Utilities thing, it allows you to edit your programs on your computer and generate a QR code to load them back to the DSiWare.

@Peidorrento: It seems to be a good game, but I think it isn't loading the correct graphics or something... Because all I see on the screen are half drawn arrows!

Taya

He said that he forgot to change the load command from a comment and that's why the graphics don't work. You can just edit the comma from the code to fix it.

Can someone help with this weird yet simple problem? In my virtual pet, I have it so that if you press A you will give it one unit of food but subtract one unit of drink. The code is simple enough. I have food set to 5 and drink set to 10 when the game starts. That works fine. When you press A

@AFOOD
FOOD=FOOD+1
DRINK=DRINK-1
GOTO @CHECKUP

Where @CHECKUP simply prints the new values of food and drink etc. The problem is that this code increases the value of FOOD and decreases the value of DRINK by 4 instead of 1. Why is that happening?

Taya

Valiance

I had another question: In the SCRED program, if you make a screen in the foreground, will animated sprites still show? Or is it simply for dual-layered screens?

Eel

@Peidorrento and @Taya: Yeah, that's what I did to fix it, however it is the kind of error that the programer should fix before releasing.

@Taya: It could be that the code is being executed four times, are you using VSYNC on your code?

@Valiance: Sprites need to be adjusted to appear under the background layer 1, in the middle of layers 1 and 0 or above layer 0 manually when setting the sprite with SPSET.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Kemba

We're still accepting links to QR codes for games, right? I'm just scrolling around the internet and finding a few. Might have already been posted but I haven't seen this, and it looks fun...

Kemba

Eel

The more codes we share the better.

I already scanned this one, it's fun and a nice example of how fun games can be made without sprites.

Bloop.

Kemba

There're a bunch of projects on the go, I hope some of'em turn out. These'll be great.. PArticularly if that dual version of Xevious comes out. I wouldn't mind playing with a friend....

Depressed because this tiny_yarou guy's stuff looks amazing and yet he won't post the QR codes.

Pretty professional looking Minesweeper.

And a hilarious little one that just appears to be a bunch of cats that follow your cursor around

Edited on by Kemba

Kemba

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic