Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 9,620

Anonymous_Ninja

to use CHRED, background for example, there are four pages for background shown with small 0-3 buttons beneath the edit area. when youre done editing you can save the page by opening the file menu, then you choose a name for the page of background tiles. you can load them later by using
LOAD"BGU0:name"
BGU1, BGU2, and BGU3 can be used for loading on to one of the other pages. it doesnt matter which page you were using when you saved it, it can be loaded onto any of the four availiable, then you just use commands like you normally would. the same goes for sprites and fonts. sprites use SPU0 instead and there are eight pages of them, i dont remember about the other since i dont really use it.

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

Pixelrobin

Can anyone explain the origin behind the talk command and why it never got implemented into the non-japan version?

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Eel

It reads japanese characters and plays them with an electronic voice, with adjustable pitch and all.

It's not in the english version because most people in this continent can't understand Japanese and would never use it anyway. It probably gives us some extra space for apps, too.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anonymous_Ninja

guess they didnt want ro rewrite it to read english. i understand why not, but i still wish we had it.

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

Pixelrobin

It would be nice I guess, but I agree with @Morphtroid. It probably took up a lot of space. Besides, I don't really see a point. We can all read right?

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

KAHN

quick update on the game i'm working on, i have begun production, and have learned that i must scale down the overworld in order to fin everything in (on my PC version, i'll be able to fit everything in). There will be a town where you can buy weapons, arrows, items and potions. in this town is also a library where you can read up on the history of the land you play in. i want this library to contain much information because the game will have no kinds of cutscenes. the game will be about exploring the land and fighting monsters. if you want to learn about quests, you can hear about it from villagers or read about it in the library, and so on (but it is entirely possible to accidentally stumble upon some adventure by mistake).

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Gimmemorecoinz

So if this is the only thread that people post in about petit computer it must be pretty confusing!!
Is there a more organized way to talk about petit computer projects, like a seperate thread for each project? Somone should make a forum
dedicated to discussing petit computer so it's easier to follow everyone's stuff. Any ideas?

I'm trying to learn how to use petit computer but I'm finding it difficult and frustrating. I program in other languages and I dont' find it as difficult.
The basic rules make sense to me but alot of the sprite specific things don't. I've been able to use some basic mml commands, tile drawing, and such.
i can't figure out how I'm supposed to animate characters though, and I haven't gotten around to importing my own graphics.
I've been trying to learn just how limited petit computer is and what I should and should not try to do using it.
Would a higher level mark up language or scripted interpreter language made in petit computer be too much to create?
I Was thinking of creating a sort of SDK that uses a higher level user created scripting language.

It would have to hold all the commands in memory in an array and do different things for flagging jumps and calling other functions.
It would have it's own internal scope and clear variables once used, but this could create alot of issues.
One thing i want is a higher level scripting engine that allows the programmer to have define functions which also return local scope function variables.
Keeping track of all this in a BASIC language seems difficult at first though.
PTC utilities doesn't alway work for me and typing in it seems slow (If I enter too much at once)

Another question I have, because I've seen alot of people proposing projects like, REMAKE link to the past, I doubt that with ptc's limitations a full version or remake of lttp would be possible. Perhaps a smaller spin off game could work. I think that a game where you have to hit switches to open doors is feasible and
basically anything we've seen on the nes could also be done. I have a platforming engine I'm trying to port to petit computer but all the coordinates for each tile
are stored in an array. This might get tricky. The collision doesn't work on tiles it works on a free roaming (non tile) base.
Er..
Anyone ever think of making a program to port higher level language code INTO petit computer code? like a ptc C++ interpreter, C++ to petit. Or something similiar? with differences?

I'm thinking of making one that can port the basic language I use into petit computer, and I've gotten some of the language differences down with a few limitations.
I'd have to substitute higher level commands like :

Type mytype
x
y
hp
level
endtype

dim npcs(5) as mytype

for temp=1 to 5
npcs(temp).x=rndrange(1, getscreenwidth() )
npcs(temp).y=rndrange(1, getscreenheight() )
npcs(temp).level=rndrange(1, 3)
npcs(temp).hp=npcs(temp).level*1000/pi
next temp

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

boot

I'm making a Pokémon battle game. if you want to help tell me

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

Gimmemorecoinz

Sure i'll help. But I have to ask , what's the nature of the game? Is it the same as that other pokemon demo I saw on youtube. The one with the houses and such that looks like it's from pokemon ruby/sapphire/emerald?

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Justlink

ok, its might seem weird you know c++ and not basic. the reason is you're either expecting it as complicated, or to simple. i believe tjey didnt make petit computer c++ is they want us kids to learn basic programming, it takes space, and kids wouldn't need to buy todays games if they learned C++ and programmed it themselves. To answer another question, it would be hard to convert C++ to basic, but not the other way around. the reason being C++ is relient on alot of functions, as my dad tells me, takes a bunch of variables, and alot of different codes. last answer. i dont know c++, so are those codes C++ because i dont understand tthem

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Gimmemorecoinz

Right now, I'm working on testing something in microsoft C++, I want to see if I can make a basic interpreter to convert C++ code, or a different type of basic code straight into petit computer. I'm thinking of making an assembly parser in petit computer as well but that might be difficult.. If I can get a very low level assembly parser to work we could soon have emulators on petit computer. That's a pipe dream right now though. The data for a tile in an emulator on petit computer would have to be stored in a multidimensional array. i'll be testing some stuff this week though. I'm about to create an IRC channel specifically for petit computer because I'm not sure if any have been made yet.

Justlink

boot wrote:

sure. i could help with sprites, main story line, or new pokemon ideas. I'm good at sprites. I make a mean green dot

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

bigdog00

It's just as hard in python... Anyway, The reason I want to do Python instead is because I can assemble a whole team (I already have, including @hamjam00) and not overwrite all the code. We can actually make a little bit of money by the time we've made our first game. I will release our first game on this thread (maybe even though I'm not supposed to) and you guys can have it for free.

I like petit computer! Asphault 3d is awesome!

3DS Friend Code: 0473-8697-6288 | Twitter:

Gimmemorecoinz

Okay. I made an IRC channel.
The channel name is #PetitComputer and it's on the darkmyst IRC server!

Join join join!

ramstrong

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

So if this is the only thread that people post in about petit computer it must be pretty confusing!!
Is there a more organized way to talk about petit computer projects, like a seperate thread for each project? Somone should make a forum
dedicated to discussing petit computer so it's easier to follow everyone's stuff. Any ideas?

I'm trying to learn how to use petit computer but I'm finding it difficult and frustrating. I program in other languages and I dont' find it as difficult.
The basic rules make sense to me but alot of the sprite specific things don't. I've been able to use some basic mml commands, tile drawing, and such.
i can't figure out how I'm supposed to animate characters though, and I haven't gotten around to importing my own graphics.
I've been trying to learn just how limited petit computer is and what I should and should not try to do using it.
Would a higher level mark up language or scripted interpreter language made in petit computer be too much to create?
I Was thinking of creating a sort of SDK that uses a higher level user created scripting language.

It would have to hold all the commands in memory in an array and do different things for flagging jumps and calling other functions.
It would have it's own internal scope and clear variables once used, but this could create alot of issues.
One thing i want is a higher level scripting engine that allows the programmer to have define functions which also return local scope function variables.
Keeping track of all this in a BASIC language seems difficult at first though.
PTC utilities doesn't alway work for me and typing in it seems slow (If I enter too much at once)

Another question I have, because I've seen alot of people proposing projects like, REMAKE link to the past, I doubt that with ptc's limitations a full version or remake of lttp would be possible. Perhaps a smaller spin off game could work. I think that a game where you have to hit switches to open doors is feasible and
basically anything we've seen on the nes could also be done. I have a platforming engine I'm trying to port to petit computer but all the coordinates for each tile
are stored in an array. This might get tricky. The collision doesn't work on tiles it works on a free roaming (non tile) base.
Er..
Anyone ever think of making a program to port higher level language code INTO petit computer code? like a ptc C++ interpreter, C++ to petit. Or something similiar? with differences?

I'm thinking of making one that can port the basic language I use into petit computer, and I've gotten some of the language differences down with a few limitations.
I'd have to substitute higher level commands like :

Type mytype
x
y
hp
level
endtype

dim npcs(5) as mytype

for temp=1 to 5
npcs(temp).x=rndrange(1, getscreenwidth() )
npcs(temp).y=rndrange(1, getscreenheight() )
npcs(temp).level=rndrange(1, 3)
npcs(temp).hp=npcs(temp).level*1000/pi
next temp

We do have different threads for Petit Computer. There are Tutorial, QR, Project, and OS. Not that people are posting on them much. If you haven't done so, please read the Tutorial thread. It would be nice if you have tutorial posts here that you can repost there for reading convenience. How to post QR seems to be a popular question.

To have a dedicated forum will yield too many thread and will fragment the community, so having a single point of contact is helpful, especially for beginners. You may take your discussion to different thread freely.

Modern style BASIC is actually pretty good. This BASIC is old-style, which means everything is flat, and you have to do your own organization outside the program. As in, write it down on paper. Then it won't be as confusing. Most of the old style games are rather simple anyway, so it's perfectly manageable.

Think of sprite as independent objects with their own thread and variables. Set it and forget it. They're not part of the main program. You merely set their states and they'll do their own thing. Tutorial is available on Tutorial thread.

As for porting other languages to BASIC, think of a compiler. What you need to do is then manually compile your program by hand to lower level language. This BASIC is very primitive, but if you can do that, then no problem. Most popular languages today is what is known as higher level language. It provides abstraction to isolate you from the machine, and what you need to do is to remove those layers of abstraction and really concentrate at what's going on on the machine level.

If you do want to write your own interpreter/compiler to BASIC, I suggest that you do it on PC. It's not impossible to do it on Petit Computer, but it will be even more limited than Petit Computer.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Gimmemorecoinz

justlink wrote:

ok, its might seem weird you know c++ and not basic. the reason is you're either expecting it as complicated, or to simple. i believe tjey didnt make petit computer c++ is they want us kids to learn basic programming, it takes space, and kids wouldn't need to buy todays games if they learned C++ and programmed it themselves. To answer another question, it would be hard to convert C++ to basic, but not the other way around. the reason being C++ is relient on alot of functions, as my dad tells me, takes a bunch of variables, and alot of different codes. last answer. i dont know c++, so are those codes C++ because i dont understand tthem

no they're not C++
I actually learned alot of basic first.
Those codes are PlayBasic.
There's a few things that a person could do to make it more advanced.
The whole point of me learning C++ is to eventually make serious games.
not true, even if kids learned C++ it would take ages of refining your abilities to make something close to AAA game.
you'd need to be extremely good at maths to for making your own 3d engines and understand alot of different sciences
AAA game titles today combine alot of difference sciences (Lighting, sound design, machine/hardware design) etc.. I mean if you were to go
completely from scratch.
Basically you wouldn't be a kid anymore when you got to that point cause that's how long it takes to learn hehe. But
not saying, people can't learn and make really GOOD games, just not games like "call of duty" or "fallout 3"
Well, now a days it's easier since we have the use of things like valve's game engine. Etc..

Gimmemorecoinz

boot wrote:

So tell us how it's going to work and all that? I'm going for a walk, be back later! Be sure to respond please.

MrSirr

I'm trying to print my own sprite on the screen. HELP?
I know that LOAD "SPU0:MAN",FALSE loads it but i dont know how to print it.
I also know that SPSET prints sprites but how do I use that with custom sprites?

MrSirr

MrSirr

Peidorrento wrote:

Finally figured how to use custom sprites. I will post my program soon

HOW? SHOW ME AN EXAMPLE PLZ.
i know how to load it and SPSET prints it but how do I print custom sprites?

MrSirr

MrSirr

Also how do I use SPANIM to make it move?

MrSirr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic