Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 9,620

portealmario

I haven't been of here for a long time. Can someone tell me how the forum is doing?

meng ๐Ÿ˜
3ds friend code:1762-2769-7142

Pixelrobin

bigdog00 wrote:

bluerobin2 wrote:

Well said @Discostew, well said. I am taking a break from Battlewood and currently making a Microsoft Word-like program with a custom keyboard, but I was too lazy to have the alphabet so I used number instead (less work ). I could release it now as full, but I was wondering, is there any way to save an entire screen filled with characters as a MEM or a GRP or something like that?

Is it like Petit Pocket Office (PPO)?
To get to PPO,
Boot up CINCOS
Login
Goto the app bar (dock)
Select MTool
Press B

Answer: yes but with a custom keyboard using sprites on the bottom screen. It was sort of a tech demo...

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Pixelrobin

portealmario wrote:

I haven't been of here for a long time. Can someone tell me how the forum is doing?

Its going fine.
โ— I'm working on an RPG-like game called Battlewood (I have a demo)
โ— @Morphtroid is making a sandbox-esque game
โ— @Discostew is (still) working on a Mega Man 2 clone
โ— @bigdog00 just released an OS
What is everyone else working on?

portealmario

BTW, making an os insn't a beginner project that someone makes because they don't know enough to make a real program. Real OS's are very complex, and take a very long time to make. A good os for petit computer would take alot more than a menu that takes you to other programs and has a few mini-games and mini-tools in it. To make a true petit computer os, you need to completely chame the system. No offence to people who tried to make os's, I tried it too once. Sorry for the long post, I just want to see someone take os's seriously, and try to make a real one.

meng ๐Ÿ˜

portealmario

I'll try this new one, I haven't seen it before.
Edit: if that post sounded mean, I'm sorry. Really. Just take it into consideration.

Edited on by portealmario

meng ๐Ÿ˜

portealmario

Also, anyone who has tried out anything that I have made, and mentioned anything I made, thank you.

meng ๐Ÿ˜

Pixelrobin

an OS is never really needed for petit computer is an OS in itself. The best you can do to make an OS is to make a simpler one. (Which honestly with the simplicity of petit computer is very hard). I want to make an "OS" later on that is just a collection of mini programs so they dont clog the existing one. Kind of an "all in one" thing.

bigdog00

Ok, sorry, but there IS NO OTHER WAY. My computer sucks, and I'm not trying to be rude, but there's no other way. I will post the update in ~a week. sorry, windows XP just hates me.

I like petit computer! Asphault 3d is awesome!

3DS Friend Code: 0473-8697-6288 | Twitter:

ramstrong

bigdog00 wrote:

Ok, sorry, but there IS NO OTHER WAY. My computer sucks, and I'm not trying to be rude, but there's no other way. I will post the update in ~a week. sorry, windows XP just hates me.

Ah, a windows XP user! How long ago was that? A loong time ago. I'm going to be updating my XP to Windows 8 this weekend. Today, actually.
I wonder if your problem is related on your end, though, because I have been doing it on XP so far no problem.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Hale-Bopp

Man, I really need to finish what I'm working on. I'm the worst procrastinator ever. At least I built a really nice menu so far, lol. Maybe I should work on something smaller.

NNID: Hale-XF11

Twitter:

bigdog00

OSX ALL THE WAY! I have both XP and OSX, and I prefer OSX a lot more (thats why cincos is themed off of OSX). anyway, the new cincos features a better GUI, better IM-Mail encryption, and may, just MAY, include @hamjam00 's OS, OaSys. it will be better.

I like petit computer! Asphault 3d is awesome!

3DS Friend Code: 0473-8697-6288 | Twitter:

portealmario

Can someone show me the qr codes for the new os's? i can't find them. I want to try them out.

meng ๐Ÿ˜

Hairmanban19

bluerobin2 wrote:

portealmario wrote:

Its going fine.

You forgot to mention Dungeon Adventure 1&2 that @Swordx is working on!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

KAHN

WELL, i haven't exactly began programming it yet (i recently began studying C++, and thus don't have as much time for BASIC as before). i'm still on the drawing board for story/gameplay mechanics (if you're interested, i'll explain to you my supposedly amazing story). i'm trying to compose some music right now, as you might be able to tell from my previous comment. i'm still iffy on sprite collision and movement. i've designed a couple sprites for the game (i've never done pixel art before, so they aren't as beautiful as i'd like. i just can't get link's hat right!). i'd like more time to work on PC to learn about the cod behind it, so i'm focussing more on side projects, like a castle defense RTS (info on this if interested). following this method, Zelda iii, i plan to be my final PC project, this way i know i'll have learned enough to make it the best i can make it.

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

ChangeV

if we know the region(JP or US) of petit computer, we can add dual language support (such as RPG dialogue or menu) and game automatically selects proper language at start up.

There are 2 simple ways to check the region of Petit computer/puchicon.

first method is checking the system version.
There is numeric system variable for version number, VERSION

Currently (March/10/2013), Japanese petit computer's version number is 8240
US petit computer's version number is 8224

simply, check this system variable and guess the US/JP region.

Untitled

CLEAR
CLS

IF VERSION==8224 THEN REGION=0 ELSE REGION=1
IF REGION==0 THEN ? "Petit Computer" ELSE ? "ใƒ•ใ‚œใƒใ‚ณใƒณmkII"

'wait for button press
FOR I=0 TO 1:I=BUTTON():NEXT

above code uses US version number, so if SmileBoom updates US version of PetitComputer, we need to modify our code with new version number.
of course, if SmileBoom updates both JP/US with same version number in the future then this method will become useless.

the other method is using TALK command.
both JP and US petit computer can run TALK command without error, but US version doesn't produce any sounds.

if we use TALKCHK() function while talking something, we can check if it is Japanese version or not.

"." period is valid letter that can be used in TALK command.
since it is just talking control symbol, it will not produce any sound even on JP version of petit computer.
(You can use other talking control symbol such as "'", "/", "|", "_", "?", "!", "%", or " ". I simply used "." because it looks good.)

it will pause about 3/60 seconds. but if we use TALKCHK() function within those 3/60 seconds, it will return TRUE even though we don't hear anything.
on US version, TALKCHK() function will just return FALSE no matter what.

Untitled

CLEAR
CLS

TALK"."
REGION=TALKCHK()
IF REGION==0 THEN ? "Petit Computer" ELSE ? "ใƒ•ใ‚œใƒใ‚ณใƒณmkII"

'wait for button press

I don't think SmileBoom will restore the TALK support in the future. so I think this method is reliable way to check the region of petit computer.

if anyone uses these checking-region-and-auto-change-language in your game, don't forget to add option to change the language manually in option menu.
some user may want to play in other language.

here are actual screenshots.
same program on different JP/US system.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

here is practical example using TALK method.

there are 2 simple way to use the region value.

first, use it directly in IF statement and put something on screen.
when print something, if region is JP, draw Japanese text.
if region is US, draw English text.

second, use RESTORE to read JP/US section of DATA into array.
make 2 sections of DATA. list of Japanese DATA and list of English DATA
make 2 labels. english label has same label name with extra 'E' at the end.
when using RESTORE, use MID$("E",0,region_value) to add E to end of label name string.
RESTORE will be set to correct JP/US DATA section.

Untitled

CLEAR
CLS

'check JP/US region
'JP ใƒ•ใ‚œใƒใ‚ณใƒณmkII = 0
'US PetitComputer= 1
TALK"."
ENG=!TALKCHK()

'put JP/US menu
LOCATE 5,5
IF ENG THEN ? "ITEM MENU" ELSE ? "ใ‚ขใ‚คใƒ†ใƒ  ใƒกใƒ‹ใƒฅ-"

'read JP/US data into ITEM array
RESTORE "@ITEM_DATA"+MID$("E",0,ENG)
FOR I=0 TO 2
READ ITEM$(I)
NEXT

'put ITEM array
FOR I=0 TO 2
LOCATE 6,7+I
? I;":";ITEM$(I)
NEXT

'wait for button press

'japanese data
@ITEM_DATA
DATA ใƒ›ใ‚œ-ใ‚ทใƒงใƒณ
DATA ใ‚ฝ-ใƒˆใ‚›
DATA ใƒชใƒณใ‚ณใ‚›

'english data
@ITEM_DATAE
DATA Potion
DATA Sword
DATA Apple

here is screenshot of result.
Untitled

white 3DS is Japanese LL version.
black 3DS is regular US version.
both run same program and it automatically selects proper language.

It is possible to eliminate the needs for 2 separate language versions in games.

ChangeV

swordx

hairmanban19 wrote:

bluerobin2 wrote:

portealmario wrote:

Its going fine.

You forgot to mention Dungeon Adventure 1&2 that @Swordx is working on!

Yayyy someone cares. lol I just programmed the first boss for Dungeon Adventure 2. The game has some graphical issues, such as automatically changing the position of the player when hit. I've tried to fix this using interpolation times on the SPOFS command, but that pretty much breaks the game, so I'm stuck with a perma-bug that will (hopefully) be fixed in the sequel.

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Pixelrobin

@Swordx, pardon the irony, what is dungeon adventure? Do you have a demo or screenshots?

steriaca

Morphtroid wrote:

Making fan games is completely ok since you can't make money off this anyway.

Are you shure? Thay may be companys which are extremly tight about there copyrights. Just because your not makeing any monie off of it DOSEN'T mean thay can't sue you for it. Just be warned!

Of course, you could say it is a homage or parody, but then would have to prove it somehow in a court of law.

Or you can move to Tiwan.

My Friend Code is 3368-1310-0690.

steriaca

bluerobin2 wrote:

@Swordx, pardon the irony, what is dungeon adventure? Do you have a demo or screenshots?

Well, I am not Swordx, but prehaps I can answer the questions.

Dungon Adventure 1: What I have played of it in it's demo phase is a maze game/rpg (basicly an expantion of one of the sample games which came with the Petit Computer). There are more options and such, and boss fights, but in a nutshell, it is a third dimention maze game (note, third dimention does not mean in 3d).

Dungon Adventure 2: What it has been told, it is a Metroid/Castivania style RPG (Metro-vania?), where you jump on platforms, slash at monsters, find switches to open doors, ect, ect, ect. I haven't played the demo yet.

My Friend Code is 3368-1310-0690.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic