DSiWare Forum

Topic: Petit Computer

Showing 141 to 160 of 9,306

AuthorMessage

Maskeraid

141. Posted:

@Morphtroid sadly, the manual was the part that I got lost at. So I suppose it's off to google...

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

142. Posted:

I'm starting to regret buying this now. I can't seem to do anything other than display text. The manual is poorly put together, it's a very non user friendly program.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

AuthorMessage

Taya

143. Posted:

It is definitely not user friendly. No arguments there.

I think I'm going to attempt a text adventure first, before trying my main idea.

Taya

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

144. Posted:

The included image/graphic editors are awful, does anyone know of any better ones?

JohnDoe123

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

145. Posted:

They are hard to get used to but they're actually pretty good. Any other option is probably in japanese anyway.

And yeah, if text is all you can do, you may as well do something text based :D

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

6ch6ris6

146. Posted:

is there a way to experience programming with BASIC without petitcomputer?

i know it is a VERY stupid question but i have no idea how programming works xD
how can i programm something with basic on my PC? do i need a programm for that first?

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

147. Posted:

I guess it helps if you know what each program does and how to use it's products.

JohnDoe123

AuthorMessage

Shadowflash

148. Posted:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

is there a way to experience programming with BASIC without petitcomputer?

i know it is a VERY stupid question but i have no idea how programming works xD
how can i programm something with basic on my PC? do i need a programm for that first?

I'm currently using QB64 (QBasic for 64bit computer.); and there's a Youtube channel called Schoolfreeware that has a QBbasic/QB64 tutorial. I've been using that to learn QBasic, and I imagine QBasic and SmileBASIC aren't that much different.

"Can you do that? Can you explode twice?!" -Spike

3DS FC: 1676-3897-8278

3DS Friend Code: 1676-3897-8278 | Twitter: Shadowflash0

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

149. Posted:

EmpireIndustries wrote:

I guess it helps if you know what each program does and how to use it's products.

CHRED lets you edit CHR files, these are the ones that you can use as sprites AND background tiles.
The CHR files you create with this can be loaded to a game to replace one of the following default settings:
BGU0-3 (background tiles)
SPU0-7(sprites)
BGF0(text characters)
Example, the comand LOAD "SPU1:mysprites" will replace the default SPU1 page of sprites (the one with the warrior and the witch) with those on the CHR file named "mysprites".
It doesn't matter where in the program you create your sprites, once you save them as a CHR flie, you can use them for any of these purposes.

Note: saving will only save the page of sprites shown on the upper screen, if you edited more than one page you need to save each one manually before leaving the program.

SCRED allows you to create SCR files, SCR files are actually just "premade" backgrounds you can load directly to your game and use them without the need to set every single tile manually by code, backgrounds can use two layers, layer 0 and Layer 1. You need to be very careful with these, L0 is actually the top-most layer and L1 is under it.
The SCRED program start asking if you want to load a character, saying yes brings up the oportunity to load the CHR files you created with CHRED.
To save your background just press X to bring up the menu and then A to pen the File Menu. If you type just S it will only save the layer you're working with right now, type SW to save both (the program will save 2 files, one for layer 0 and another for layer 1)
To use them on your game you need to load both files using LOAD "SCR0:background0" and then LOAD "SCR1:background1"

GRPED lets you create and edit GRP files, which are pretty much just drawings you can load to your game to use instead of backgrounds or something idk. GRP files can be loaded to 1 of 4 layers by using LOAD "GRP(0-3):grpfile".

I don't really fully understand the other one though.

Written on an iPad, sorry if it's hard to read.

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

150. Posted:

After reading Morphtroid's post I'm too scared to buy this game. .____.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

DrKarl

151. Posted:

UPDATE: This is not a bug, it's a feature :)
You can only write the bank of graphics currently visible. Similarly you can only read into the currently visible bank. For example, if I write out bank 7 of the Sprites, when I want to load it back in I must first switch to bank 7 of the sprites PRIOR to doing the load.

Original Post below:

I'm going nuts here with what I feel is a bug in CHRED.

Can someone try out these steps, and let me know if they get the same result:

1. Run the CHRED from the gallery
2. Switch to the Sprites - Tap the SU button
3. Switch to page 7 - Tap the 7 button on the row of buttons below the sprite

You should see all black in the editor, as this area has no graphical information

4. Chose a color other than black from the color choices on the top row
5. Draw anything in the sprite editor, a simple X through the 4 boxes is sufficient
6. Tap the file folder button to get to the file management screen
7. Tap S and then Enter
8. Enter a filename - say bugtest then tap Enter
9. Chose yes to save the file
10. Press the select button and return to the main screen

11. Run the CHRED from the gallery
12. Tap the file folder button to get t0 the file management screen
13. Tap L and then Enter
14. Enter the filename you used for step 8 then tap Enter

Here is where I see the bug. Although I edited Page 7 of the Sprites, now Page 1 of the Background is totally messed up. The simple X that I drew in the sprites, along with all of the spaceship shows up on this background page.

Can anyone please confirm this? Did I do something wrong, or is this a bug?

Thanks for anyone who tests this out.

Edited on by DrKarl

DrKarl

AuthorMessage

iphys

152. Posted:

I tried, and I got only the top half of the X showing up with some other non-black sprite stuff underneath, and then the bottom half of the X is to the right of it rather than below.

Edit: if you switch to SU before loading, it appears normal though.

Edited on by iphys

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

153. Posted:

@Morphtroid Thanks, that makes it a lot easier for me.

JohnDoe123

AuthorMessage

DrKarl

154. Posted:

iphys wrote:

I tried, and I got only the top half of the X showing up with some other non-black sprite stuff underneath, and then the bottom half of the X is to the right of it rather than below.

Edit: if you switch to SU before loading, it appears normal though.

After I posted, I re-read what Morphtroid had to say about CHRED and it clicked for me. You need to have whichever bank you want to load into active before doing the load. Problem solved. I must have scratched my head over this one for 3 days straight.

DrKarl

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

155. Posted:

Yeah, that's because CHRED auto-arranges anything you load as background tiles (BGU) in 8x8 squares, so anything you draw in sprite mode (SPU, which by default is 16x16) and load as background tiles (BGU) looks different.

This

QW
ER

Becomes this

QWER

I'm glad I could help.

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

156. Posted:

Has anyone managed to make their own music yet?

JohnDoe123

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

157. Posted:

I managed to get a simple tune to play by editing the MML sample, but I don't think I'll ever get too far with music :P

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

JohnDoe123

158. Posted:

@Morphtroid Could I trouble you to post the code or QR code of that tune, please? I just cannot figure out how to do it myself, and I haven't seen any games with examples of MML yet.

JohnDoe123

AuthorMessage

ejamer

159. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

EmpireIndustries wrote:

[/div]

... (lots of great info)...

This is a great post! I've never done much work with graphics, and appreciate the discussion around using the built-in tools. Thanks!

EmpireIndustries wrote:

@Morphtroid Could I trouble you to post the code or QR code of that tune, please? I just cannot figure out how to do it myself, and I haven't seen any games with examples of MML yet.

I've seen a couple of posts on the GameFaqs forums discussing MML coding. Try checking these links:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/663843-petit-computer/63524945
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/663843-petit-computer/63484250
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/663843-petit-computer/63497779

There is also someone there who talked about making a tool to help create MML a bit easier - something I've also considered, but am unlikely to get around to in a reasonable amount of time.

ejamer

AuthorMessage

Moorpheel

160. Posted:

I'm not sure how it works, I just edited the string with the notes, but here it is:
Untitled

@ejamer: Thanks :D

Edited on by Moorpheel

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.