Forums

Topic: Flip Notes ok for 9 yo?

Posts 21 to 29 of 29

BedCommando

Scarecrow wrote:

If your worried about his going on Hatena flipnote, you had better not let him go to school then.

Quoted for huge amounts of truth. If you're worried your kid will learn these things through Flipnote, and use them in a negative way, then do your job as a parent and teach him these things before hand, so that when he sees this stuff, he knows what's right and wrong.
Plus, he already knows about sex, and every curse word in the book, he goes to school, right? Yeah, he knows.

Edited on by BedCommando

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

Philip_J_Reed

Guys, the TC is asking specifically about the appropriateness of one downloadable program. Whether or not a child could conceiveably pick up bad language / habits from other sources is not an issue.

Yes, children encounter inappropriate things all the time. No, that does not absolve a parent of the responsibility to evaluate the content that he or she CAN control.

So please keep your comments to the question at hand.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Funky_Gamer

Flipnotes are ok.
Hatena... Eh, depends.

"Remember: when life rocks you, RAWK BACK!" ~Rawk Hawk
FNS: Y B L R R R B >

Turnip

This is definitely not for a 9-year old. and anyone who says: "If he already knows about sex and swear words then why not let him?" or something like that: Just because he knows about it doesn't mean it's good to keep putting it through his head.

In the end, I would wait until he is 12 or 13. or maybe try it out yourself for a few days.

Cringing is really fun.

BedCommando

Akatsuki wrote:

This is definitely not for a 9-year old. and anyone who says: "If he already knows about sex and swear words then why not let him?" or something like that: Just because he knows about it doesn't mean it's good to keep putting it through his head.

In the end, I would wait until he is 12 or 13. or maybe try it out yourself for a few days.

How is there harm in bringing up an issue to remind your child? It's better to remind them rather than them forgetting. Education and experience should never be barred.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

SpentAllMyTokens

Akatsuki wrote:

I would do this. The app is free, so you could definitely test it out yourself. You can also view flipnotes on the hatena website, if you don't have your own DSi at http://flipnote.hatena.com/. Content worries could be balanced out by the opportunities to express one's creativity artistically. It seems like the app would be great for a kid since you can create your own animations.

For people who use flipnotes, is there a way you can play and possibly share with friends without signing up for the site? That could be the best of both worlds for you.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Turnip

BedCommando wrote:

Akatsuki wrote:

How is there harm in bringing up an issue to remind your child? It's better to remind them rather than them forgetting. Education and experience should never be barred.

swearing is education? wow, i never knew >.>

Okay, obviouslly people have a lot of different opinions, so you should probably try it out for yourself.

Edited on by Turnip

Cringing is really fun.

triforceofcourage

There aren't THAT many flipnotes with inapporpriate content. As long as the kid is responsible it shouldn't be a problem. Hatena is 100 times safer for kids than youtube though.

monster hunter tri: name: hakota HR 140+ / flipy HR 1 On: every other dayish.
Current games: MHT, Kirbys Epic Yarn, SMG2, SSFIV.
3DS friend code: 3823 - 8517 - 3969
Wishlist: OoT3D, Mariokart3D, Kid icarus 3D, LoZ Skyward sword, and (in my imagination) Monster Hunter 3D.

theblackdragon

this topic has run its course. there are plenty of opinions here already to help you come up with your own decision if you're that interested. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.