Forums

Topic: DSiWare Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 1,772

jdarrell

Re: Link 'N Launch

Mission mode is very fun (I really like the presentation in this game), but a bit underwhelmingly short and easy. There's an initial learning curve, but if you're a puzzle fan then it's nothing to worry about.

Puzzle mode is the opposite. A bit too challenging and tedious. Even though you won't run out of puzzles (completing the first 100 unlocks 100 more), you'll probably be better off replaying easier ones every now and then when you hit a roadblock.

Overall I'd say it's good and worth it, but wouldn't expect it to be someone's favourite puzzle game. Rotating pipes is slightly more tedious / less fun than usual puzzle gameplay, but the game is otherwise very well done.

Edited on by jdarrell

jdarrell

Martin_Linda

Rytmik Retrobeats is not out yet. I hope it will be released this autumn. Each version of Rytmik has its unique sound set. Just check demo songs at http://rytmik-retrobits.cinemax.cz/ it will give you good picture, how does it sound like. And each new edition has added some new features as well (and has all previous features). In Retrobeats edition I added new fx - arpegiator. It is really powerfull feature and very characteristic for chiptune music;)

Martin_Linda

Shadowflash

Martin_Linda wrote:

Rytmik Retrobeats is not out yet. I hope it will be released this autumn. Each version of Rytmik has its unique sound set. Just check demo songs at http://rytmik-retrobits.cinemax.cz/ it will give you good picture, how does it sound like. And each new edition has added some new features as well (and has all previous features). In Retrobeats edition I added new fx - arpegiator. It is really powerfull feature and very characteristic for chiptune music;)

Can't wait. I love both Rytmiks (I live in US, so I can't get my hands on Hip-Hop) and I use both all the time. I've always wanted to make 8bit style music. It'd be awesome if you guys made a cartridge version later down the line with a bunch of different sounds. I'd buy it...probably first day .

"Can you do that? Can you explode twice?!" -Spike

3DS FC: 1676-3897-8278

3DS Friend Code: 1676-3897-8278 | Twitter:

slidecage

Martin_Linda wrote:

@Cengoku - I can recommend you Puzzle Rocks. But I'm programmer of it:)

36 levels or normal play
36 levels of timed play

only thing i dont like about this game it gives no hint before starting the level what score you need to earn each medal

seems if you hit the start button it gives you a score but not for each level
like 100 for x 200 for xx 300 for xxx

Edited on by slidecage

slidecage

cheapogamer4life

Are people still playing Bomberman Blitz online? Ive been thinking about download it again for my 3DS, but online if its pretty easy to find people to play online.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2558-1701
http://passid.ca/N4Life
PSN id: cheapO4life
Xbox gamertag: cheapogamer

Cengoku

hi hi,
just spent my last euros on eshop this night:

• Link 'n' Launch (I trust the intelligent systems team behind this game and IGN gave this a 9)
  • Go! Go! Kokopolo! The only game that I bought at 8 euros . NL and IGN gave this a great note and its developper looks a cool person. I Hope I will not be disappointed.
  • GO Series Portable Shine Wars. Own 10 second run too. Long hesitated about Picdun but finally didn't bought it.
  • Art Style Nemrem : from what I read, this looks very difficult. this is my 5th Art Style Game.
  • Zelda Link's Awakening: loved the gameboy (not color) version when I was a child and I've just beat the Zelda 1 NES yesterday.
  • Learning Piano Vol 1 (because I like the volume 2, never played piano before).
  • Calculator from Cinemax games: because of the need to have one when I'm on travel or at work

I wanted to buy Rytmik but finally say no because the retrobits version interest me more, so i'll wait.

Cengoku

Terave

Hey people: I'm going to buy a few titles, and I'm getting a 2000 points card. What games are worth their money? I already own:
-Shantae
-Mighty Flip Champs
-Aura Aura Climber
-DodoGo Robo
Photo Dojo

I was thinking of Go Go Kokopolo and Cut The Rope.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

Rocketship

cheapogamer4life wrote:

Are people still playing Bomberman Blitz online? Ive been thinking about download it again for my 3DS, but online if its pretty easy to find people to play online.

I picked this up yesterday and I have no problems finding people online which is a real bonus because I really wanted another online game!

"People were throwing shoes at us in SF and LA. I don't know why. It's like 'You guys are great. Here's my shoe.' People must have been walking around with one shoe." James Hetfield

slidecage

Terave wrote:

Hey people: I'm going to buy a few titles, and I'm getting a 2000 points card. What games are worth their money? I already own:
-Shantae
-Mighty Flip Champs
-Aura Aura Climber
-DodoGo Robo
Photo Dojo

I was thinking of Go Go Kokopolo and Cut The Rope.

number battle is a good 500 pt game
airport mania is a good 200 pt game
go series picdum is a good 500 pt game.
puzzle rocks is a okay 500pt game
go series something fishing for 200 pts is a very good game for 200 pts
Alphabouce is a very good long game for 500 pts

slidecage

ReptilynSamurai

I got my 3DS at launch, and eagerly explored the DSiWare back-catalog after the eShop became available. Here are my top recommendations so far:

Number Battle - More people need to be aware of this game, I think it is a true sleeper hit. The game is very poorly named and advertised, so hopefully word of mouth will spread because it ended up being my number one favorite DSiWare game. It's a steal at $5, and it even includes online (but not local, perplexingly) multiplayer. I bought it on a whim (thanks to a great review on this site) and ended up absolutely loving its simple, yet deeply strategic gameplay. My only disappointment is I can never find an online match unless I set one up with my friends - and I want to play more against humans! Highly recommended if you love board games or strategy games. Despite the title, it has nothing to do with math (as long as you know the order of 1 through 5).

Shantae: Risky's Revenge - It deserves the perfect scores it gets everywhere. A wonderful 2D platformer that is very well balanced, and looks and sounds beautiful. My main complaint are some of the trickier platforming sections over bottomless pits can demand a level of precision that causes some frustrations, but at least you get endless retries.

Glow Artisan - I've enjoyed this puzzle game more than the Art Style games. The puzzles are intriguing. It's nice that there are no time limits, and unlimited undoes, so you can really work to figure out the best way to recreate the image. Recommended for puzzle gamers that enjoy puzzles like Picross and Sudoku. It throws in some excellent multiplayer modes as well, like taking turns adding to a puzzle and alternating solving the shared puzzle.

Absolute Reversi and Absolute Chess - All you could ask for and more in a portable version of these games. Both games are very cheaply priced ($2 each), they have challenging AI, functional touch-screen controls, and download play multiplayer (which is all too rare). They even have a number of "challenges" in single player which give you a good reason to keep playing and trying for different goals. Definitely underrated on this site.

Rytmik: Rock Edition - well worth it for $2 (in NA anyway). A lot of fun to play around with, and very easy to make a composition. I only wish there were more instruments and the ability to export the songs to the sd card.

Tetris Party - Great for some multiplayer Tetris over online play. (And of course some single-player tetris when you're in the mood).

Puzzle Quest - I actually have the DS cartridge version of this, but I have to mention it, because it's one of my all time favorite DS games. An incredible value to get the full game for $8, I'm actually tempted to buy it just to have it accessible always without bringing the cart around, and I'd love to replay the game. (The sequels never really matched the first one imo).

Downtown Texas Hold'em - Just picked it up yesterday after agonizing for months over which version of Hold'em to get. Disappointed that it doesn't have the online or download play that are advertised in the eShop, but I really wanted the single player to be good - and so far it has been satisfying, with challenging AI and fun tournament modes where your winnings carry over and let you buy in to bigger tournaments. Also nice that it tracks statistics over games, which shows you what your play style is. My main complaints (besides no multiplayer other than local multi-cart, and false advertising) are that it's very slow and imprecise to set the raise amount (scrolling left or right to select the amount, and it loops over at the lowest and highest. I've accidentally raised the highest amount before when I intended to only choose the lowest, and lost a game because of that), and that games only feature up to 4 CPU opponents, I'd like bigger matches (although 5 players is still fun). They aren't deal breakers, and I'm looking forward to playing this one more.

Animal Color Cross - I'd been enjoying Mario's Picross on virtual console, so picked this one up after my girlfriend really recommended it. It adds another dimension to 2D Picross in that you have to solve multiple colors to fill in the picture. It's a little difficult to be precise with the touch-screen controls on some of the larger puzzles, I've accidentally chiseled blocks that I did not intend to, but that's the main complaint here - it's still a very solid puzzler.

Those are my recommendations so far. I'm always looking for more DSiWare to play, so let me know what you like! As you can see, I enjoy strategy / puzzle games that can easily be picked up and played for any amount of time. And again, I cannot recommend Number Battle enough, you must get this game!

~ReptilianSamurai

Jei'Sohnar
5155-2910-8933

Link79

Would anyone recommend Zenonia? I noticed on the shop it was the staff pick of the week for today.
Is it as good as most Snes era RPG's? I've been considering it for a while.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

slidecage

heads up downtown texas holdem Does NOT have touraments

each area you move into has 10 hands in a game.. whoever is in the lead after the 10th hand wins .. iwouldnt call that a tourament

slidecage

fchinaski

Link79 wrote:

Would anyone recommend Zenonia? I noticed on the shop it was the staff pick of the week for today.
Is it as good as most Snes era RPG's? I've been considering it for a while.

It depends. How much patience do you have for level grinding? Later in the game, you'll spend hours killing the same enemies in the same area in order to increase your levels and buy stronger equipment just to proceed to the next area. Even though I found the game quite charming, it started to bug me towards the end how repetitive the whole grinding-equipment buying-fetch quests can be. But, on the whole, it is a good enough action RPG, but not as good as the SNES era ones like Secret of Mana and such.

fchinaski

ReptilynSamurai

slidecage wrote:

each area you move into has 10 hands in a game.. whoever is in the lead after the 10th hand wins .. iwouldnt call that a tourament

Regardless of what you consider to be a tournament, and what the game calls a tournament, I've been greatly enjoying that game. Do you have any recommendations of better Hold 'em dsiware? I noticed that Ante Up had a better score here, although the review didn't seem to back up why. (And in fact the review for Downtown complained about the cost of getting everyone to buy a copy to play multiplayer, where the review for the same price Ante Up said that it wouldn't break the bank to get everyone a copy. WTF?)

Jei'Sohnar
5155-2910-8933

slidecage

ReptilynSamurai wrote:

slidecage wrote:

Regardless of what you consider to be a tournament, and what the game calls a tournament, I've been greatly enjoying that game. Do you have any recommendations of better Hold 'em dsiware? I noticed that Ante Up had a better score here, although the review didn't seem to back up why. (And in fact the review for Downtown complained about the cost of getting everyone to buy a copy to play multiplayer, where the review for the same price Ante Up said that it wouldn't break the bank to get everyone a copy. WTF?)

i been asking around as well about the Downtown texas hold em game to see if other people got it but never heard from anyone.. I love to find a Real texas hold them game that had Real life touraments ... so far i havent found anything on any handheld systems. ...maybe one day i will download downtown if i ever have spare pts lying around or time but my backlog and that one Rpg type game coming this thursday i wont have many pts to just risk anymore

slidecage

RudysaurusRex

I'm looking for a good 500 point game. I've already decided on Dracula Undead Awakening, Car Jack Streets and Army Defender. Could you tell me of a good point game No Anti-Pole, Lost Town the Dust, or Pop+ Solo.

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

Birdman

@rudydog13 - AlphaBounce, Bejeweled Twist, Castle Conqueror, Dark Void Zero, Digger Dan & Kaboom, A Kappa's Trail, Maestro! Green Groove, Number Battle, Pop Island, Starship Defense, and Trajectile are all great 500 point games worth considering.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Geonjaha

My DSiWare Games:

• Pyoro (200)
  • Paper Plane (200)
  • Dragon Quest Wars (500)
  • STARSHIP PATROL (500)
  • Link 'n' Launch (500)

All are worth it. I also bought Pop Island: Paperfield (200). I found it boring, I found the gameplay and characters weird, and I hated the graphics; so much so that I deleted it. Just goes to show not all reviews are for you (Site gave it a 9/10).

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic