Forums

Topic: dsiware downfall!?

Posts 41 to 58 of 58

rayword45

kurtasbestos, as a younger member (age 13), I agree whole-heartedly with you. The demands for quality are getting larger and larger, and I cannot see why.

Yes, perhaps Wii/WiiWare/DS/DSiWare games are often shovelware, but you know what else had a lot of shovelware? The NES, and the Atari 2600, and the PS2, and many other consoles, which no one complained about.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Squashie

For me I do not own an ipod touch or iphone or even Android device. So dsiware is a great service and so as long as it is there I will continue to download games. I enjoy downloading the odd 200 point game to pass the time know and again. But I am running out of space on my dsi.

Squashie, Video Games Journalist,
Nintendo Feed - Everything Nintendo, all in one place...

3DS Friend Code: 0345-0525-1420 | Nintendo Network ID: Squashie | Twitter:

Dradune

i only bot mysims camra 4 my dsi

Dradune

Dradune

lol yeh ur ritte xxx

Dradune

Supermarioman

I've bought all of one game off the service as of now. Dark Void Zero which I only have because I got a free 500 Points with my pre-order of Monster Huner 3, and thought it looked good, which it is. But the service has never really appealed to me on a deep level. I'd like to get Shantae, Cave Story, Mario Vs. DK, Dr. Mario, and a couple of other odd ones out, but when I have $20 and its between points for the Wii, DSi, a new CD, or cheap full old games, I tend to skip over the DSi option (And Wii, but it gets more attention than DSiWare.) There is probably a lot of great things I have missed (In Fact I Know I"ve missed in some cases) but its just hard for me to justify it to myself.

Supermarioman

Turnip

rayword45 wrote:

kurtasbestos, as a younger member (age 13), I agree whole-heartedly with you. The demands for quality are getting larger and larger, and I cannot see why.

Yes, perhaps Wii/WiiWare/DS/DSiWare games are often shovelware, but you know what else had a lot of shovelware? The NES, and the Atari 2600, and the PS2, and many other consoles, which no one complained about.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is exactly what i was going to say.

Cringing is really fun.

FonistofCruxis

I agree with kurtasbestos, there are just so many games I want to get on all the platforms and download services that I can buy games from with the consoles that I own that I wouldn't be surprised if there are still a significant amount left of those games when I die unfourtanetley and I'm only 16. Although that could partly be because I'm not as fast a gamer as some gamers on this site and because of this I only buy 1 or 2 games a moth with the occasional month where I don't buy any because of the amount of games that I still haven't finished.

I also agree with tbd and the others about how much they've used their dsiware clocks. I've found mine to be very useful and have used them frequently since I bought my animal crossing and mario clocks in January last year.

This year hasn't been as good this year compared to last year for dsiware but the same goes for wiiware and although wiiware overall is better than dsiware, dsiware has been better recently even if its not as good as it has been but there is 3dsware comign soon which is probably part of the reason for this.

brandonbwii

theblackdragon wrote:

i don't see why the clocks get so much hate. yeah, they're not really games, the system comes with a built-in clock, yadda yadda, but i've been using the Mario Clock almost every single night for over a year now. i can have multiple alarms set if i want, change what music i wake up to, and if i want to mess around for a few minutes there's the little running-mario minigame on the top screen. there's nothing wrong with wanting something with a little more functionality than what came pre-installed, and i'd say i've gotten my 200 points' worth out of it for srs.

The only problem I have with apps like that is that it would've been a MUCH better value if the calculator was included too. It's a bit ridiculous to pay two dollars for each app.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

SpentAllMyTokens

I also have to chime in agreement with Mr. Asbestos. Even downloadable games take time to develop, and you can't expect five AAA (for a downloadable title) to be released every week. Even one exceptional game per week would be impossible (and when would you have time to play them all - assuming you play retail DS games too).

I've been quite happy with releases. I feel all the games I've downloaded have been worth their money, polished, and fun. There's still some more games I'd be happy to pick up if I had time/$$$ (Art Style, some more G&W, etc.). I have Art Style PiCTOBiTs, Aura Aura Climber, Cave Story, MFC, MvDK, AiRace Tunnel, Ivy The Kiwi, Pinball Pulse, and some G&W. All quality.

I just wish it was easier to find good games on the store itself (luckily for us we have NLife reviews which have been invaluable in making choices). Demos, easier sorting system, dev updates, etc. would be wonderful - and we'll hopefully see them on 3DSWare. DSiWare was really just a way to get a big launch downloadable library for the 3DS, I think, and it's been successful in that way. However, devs have had access to the 3DS kits for a while, so it's no surprise that we're not seeing so many "big" releases anymore.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

kurtasbestos

I finally got around to downloading Shantae a couple of days ago, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. It's a pretty fantastic game, and makes me wonder what other gems I'm missing that I've read great things about.

AQUIA BASE 10 BOXLIFE CUBELLO DIGIDRIVE light trax ORBIENT PiCTOBiTS precipice ROTOHEX Rotozoa ZENGAGE

Nintendo Network ID: kurtasbestos

Raptor78

What can I say... I bought the DSi on launch with the DSiware in mind, I went from buying retail games to getting one or two points cards a month and getting DSiware instead, some of it great and some not so good. Some even surprising like the Mario Clock, I had a couple of hundred points left and thought what the heck, but it turned out pretty good.
Now the DSi wasnt my only way of playing downloadable portable titles. I have an android phone and an iPod, but I will say this, with the exception of one or two titles the android/ipod market is piled high with shovelware stuff that I dont keep for very long unlike a large chunk of my DSiware library. Sure it costs me more and most of the quality titles are actually smaller versions of their retail counterparts but I like that. I like to have a large library of pick up n play games that I dont have to get too deep into, and I dont want shovelware and the bitesized retail games and the GO! series of games are great for that, but then again im older, I have family to worry about, bills to pay and a roof to keep over our heads and mabey if I was younger and no responsibities then I may want a more substantial piece of entertainment. But gone are the days of playing Final Fantasy for days and week on end instead its replaced by getting my gaming fix on the way to work or when the kids are in bed.
DSiware has been great for me and I have high hopes for the 3DS eshop. I having a blast with my 3DS with SF4 and SW:C in the meantime, but I can understand why some people are not happy and maby Nintendo need to address this more in the future.

3DS Friend Code: 2621 - 2654 - 6355

OnLive Player Tag: Raptor78

Heroes of Ruin online profile -
http://heroesofruin.com/profile/Raptor1978

http://passid.ca/raptor

currently playing: Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo Network ID: Raptor78

Sean_Aaron

I'd take DSiWare over WiiWare any day of the week and I have a Japanese DSi LL. Between Starship Defender, Bejeweled Twist, Reflect Missile, Number Battle and Illust Logic I'm sorted for fun casual games. I buy more games on iPhone now than I do DSiWare, but I have no plans to ditch my DSi.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

slidecage

i still think more people would download games if NIntendo would allow you to transfer games from system to system... only one system can have the games on though

Say i got system A code 3434 and i go out and buy Sysstem b 5555

i could call nintendo up and say i want all my 3434 games moved to 5555 nintendo does it.. all the games will now play on system 5555 but they would no longer play on 3434

slidecage

kurtasbestos

I know this is just me being incredibly lazy, but I would download a lot more games on my DSi XL if I could download to/load from the SD card directly.

AQUIA BASE 10 BOXLIFE CUBELLO DIGIDRIVE light trax ORBIENT PiCTOBiTS precipice ROTOHEX Rotozoa ZENGAGE

Nintendo Network ID: kurtasbestos

Sean_Aaron

My main gripe about DSiWare is the shop is slow as hell and you can only see two games on the screen at once - even more painful than browsing the Wii shop!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

slidecage

wow nintendo just put up the list for the rest of May for downloads on the dsi.... i can say i will not be spending any points in may on any downloads (maybe the fishing game) but doubt it

slidecage

ShinRPGGamer

cheetahman91 wrote:

PhoenixSage wrote:

is it just me or has dsiware always been terrible

This, with a couple of exceptions.

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.