Forums

Topic: Which Final Fantasy game for the Nintendo DS should I buy?

Posts 21 to 25 of 25

Knux

Ok everyone, I have made my decision.
I ordered Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, and Dragon Quest V. Those three games will soon be mine! Oh, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:The Crystal Bearers IS a Final Fantasy game [it is a spin-off, but it is still a Final Fantasy game], which I also plan on buying in the future.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Edited on by Knux

Knux

CanisWolfred

WaltzElf wrote:

irken004 wrote:

Have you never heard of a spinoff? They're pretty common nowadays.

Yes, but a spinoff is not what people have in mind when they ask for a game.

More examples!

If I ask "what Mario game should I buy?" - I'm not thinking of Tennis, Golf, Olympic Sports or Fighting games - I clearly want a platformer
If I ask "what Sonic game should I buy?" - exactly the same thing - I want a platformer.
If I ask "what Metal Gear Solid game should I buy?" - Do I want Smash Brothers, or, you know, a Metal Gear Solid game? Because Snake is in SSB.
What about Soul Calibur? If I ask what Soul Calibur game to buy, do you think I am looking for a fighting game, or one of the spinoffs?

I could go on, and on, but when someone asks "what Final Fantasy game should I buy?" They want a Final Fantasy game, not a spinoff.

The point about giving advise is that you give sound advice. At the very least this guy should know what is, and isn't a real (read: not spinoff) Final Fantasy game. That's only fair.

The thing is, a lot of the Final Fantasy Spin-offs are still RPGs, it's just that they play somewhat differently from the main games.

Glad you finally made your decision, SuperSonic1990! I hope you like them! Especially FF3, that one was among my personal favorites in the series(although I never played the DS version)

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

The thing is, a lot of the Final Fantasy Spin-offs are still RPGs, it's just that they play somewhat differently from the main games.

Somewhat differently? I've got just about every copy of every Final Fantasy game possible, and have played through most of them multiple times. I will buy a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing XIII (initially, at least).

I cannot stand FF:CC games, which are much, much closer to a Zelda than a Final Fantasy. So no, they're not even close to one another.

Ok everyone, I have made my decision.
I ordered Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, and Dragon Quest V. Those three games will soon be mine!

Nice choices!

Oh, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:The Crystal Bearers IS a Final Fantasy game [it is a spin-off, but it is still a Final Fantasy game

Only in name.

Edited on by Bankai

CanisWolfred

WaltzElf wrote:

Somewhat differently? I've got just about every copy of every Final Fantasy game possible, and have played through most of them multiple times. I will buy a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing XIII (initially, at least).

I cannot stand FF:CC games, which are much, much closer to a Zelda than a Final Fantasy. So no, they're not even close to one another.

But what if SuperSonic was a big Zelda fan? Chances are he would like Chrystal Chronicles. If he does, then maybe it'll convince him to try the main series as well, possibly one that was referenced or cameoed in Crystal Chronicles.

The point is, spin-offs are a great way of getting new-comers familiar with the game world, which can be just as important as being familiar with the gameplay, if not more. I got into the Final Fantasy series through Kingdom Hearts, into Dragon Quest through Rocket Slime and Dragon Warior Monsters, heck, Super Smash Bros. was the reason that I got into any of Nintendo's series at all! Sometimes just having your favorite characters in another game can be enough to convince you to buy that game. Hence why so many games have spin-offs that could easily be another series entirely.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.