DSi / DS Forum

Topic: Was Golden Sun Dark Dawn Really That Bad

Showing 1 to 20 of 27

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pianomanfreak

1. Posted:

The title says it all was golden sun dark dawn really that bad. In my opinion maybe cause of points of no return.

My Youtube channel!

3DS Friend Code: 4425-2766-8363 | Nintendo Network ID: Pianomanfreak

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

2. Posted:

As a sequel to one of the best duos of JRPGs potentially ever made, released over 7 years later, yes.

As a JRPG in general, no.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jollykarp

3. Posted:

As a game resulting from a drunken joke between developers one night, it's pretty darn fantastic.

As a JRPG it's just about mediocre, and as a Golden Sun game it's a disappointment. Except for the bit where you slap the sun in the face. That was awesome.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

4. Posted:

No. It's not that bad. I liked it, personally.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

5. Posted:

As Captain Falcon would say, Yes!

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CorporalPegasus

6. Posted:

My only real big gripe was that the ending sucked. Well, it wasn't even an ending. It just stopped in the middle of a story.

Catbugloggery

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

7. Posted:

It was more of a disappointment than anything

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

8. Posted:

If you play it before playing the two GBA games not really. What I've gathered is that it's only really disappointing as a sequel.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ernest_The_Crab

9. Posted:

I didn't find it terrible so much as it being a disappointment due to obviously being rushed. If you look at some of the stuff in-game you can tell they had a lot of ideas but never really fully implemented them or they lacked polish (like some of the battle mechanics). The game also, has quite a number of unexplained details or remaining plot holes.

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPO

For example, the machine that you find Alex standing near when you first meet him again. You NEVER go back there nor do you do anything about it either.

ENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERSENDSPOILERS

It just seems like the game was rushed out to market compared to Lost Age and the original, which is understandable since fans were getting up in arms at that point..

Edited on by Ernest_The_Crab

My Backlog | http://www.backloggery.com/thesolarknight

Friend Safari: Espurr, Munna, Duosion

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7515-3526 | Nintendo Network ID: ThePillowGolem

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

10. Posted:

it really ended on a huge cliffhanger. that's what disappointed me most about it.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mamp

11. Posted:

Here's my take on why I think that game was terrible. SPOILERS
1) The worst cast of characters ever- they were not like-able at all, and the one thing I noticed was that all they ever did was whine, I have never met a cast of heroes that whine about having to go on an adventure to save the world. The characters were not interesting (one character literally joins you just because she has the skill you need to get into a dungeon, she actually states it too and that's her entire role in the game). The most interesting character was Amiti and it's not that the character himself was interesting it's just that everyone thought it was crazy that Alex was his father.
2) Same game new Graphics- I didn't expect a complete overhaul but I expected some more unique stuff. I expected new summonings (all they added was the Crystal Dragon which I liked), I expected the cast of characters to have new psynergy spells but they all have the same spells as the previous cast even their stats are similar to the previous cast (except that one cat-like girl who transforms). The Djinn while apparently different do the same things as the previous Djinn. The weapons are all the same. Everything was kept almost exactly the same except for the graphics.
3) This game takes the word Easy to another level - I know people hate random encounter battles but in this game it feels like you literally have to go looking for a fight in order to find one. If you actually try to grind you will level up too quickly. It felt like dungeons had been significantly simplified and the puzzles had become too easy (they didn't really feel like puzzles they felt more like annoying obstacles since puzzles actually require thinking). I thought the secret boss that guards the strongest summoning was going to put up a hell of a fight like it did in the lost age but I beat it like it was nothing.
4) Worst ending ever - No not just because of the cliffhanger ending. The last boss didn't even feel like a last boss it felt like it just randomly happened I was seriously thinking the real final boss was going to show up after I beat that guy. Also I think they were so focused on getting us hyped for another game that they failed to give this game a proper ending. The original Golden Sun had a cliffhanger ending but it felt like the game was finished properly (like I had finished the chapter and now it's time for the next one).

I guess I find it terrible because it took all these years just to get that!? I didn't wait that long for Lost Age and the game was amazing. I was disappointed to the point that I want to treat this game the way people treat CD-i Zelda and pretend like it doesn't exist.

Edited on by mamp

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

12. Posted:

mamp wrote:

Here's my take on why I think that game was terrible. SPOILERS
1) The worst cast of characters ever- they were not like-able at all, and the one thing I noticed was that all they ever did was whine, I have never met a cast of heroes that whine about having to go on an adventure to save the world. The characters were not interesting (one character literally joins you just because she has the skill you need to get into a dungeon, she actually states it too and that's her entire role in the game). The most interesting character was Amiti and it's not that the character himself was interesting it's just that everyone thought it was crazy that Alex was his father.
2) Same game new Graphics- I didn't expect a complete overhaul but I expected some more unique stuff. I expected new summonings (all they added was the Crystal Dragon which I liked), I expected the cast of characters to have new psynergy spells but they all have the same spells as the previous cast even their stats are similar to the previous cast (except that one cat-like girl who transforms). The Djinn while apparently different do the same things as the previous Djinn. The weapons are all the same. Everything was kept almost exactly the same except for the graphics.
3) This game takes the word Easy to another level - I know people hate random encounter battles but in this game it feels like you literally have to go looking for a fight in order to find one. If you actually try to grind you will level up too quickly. It felt like dungeons had been significantly simplified and the puzzles had become too easy (they didn't really feel like puzzles they felt more like annoying obstacles since puzzles actually require thinking). I thought the secret boss that guards the strongest summoning was going to put up a hell of a fight like it did in the lost age but I beat it like it was nothing.
4) Worst ending ever - No not just because of the cliffhanger ending. The last boss didn't even feel like a last boss it felt like it just randomly happened I was seriously thinking the real final boss was going to show up after I beat that guy. Also I think they were so focused on getting us hyped for another game that they failed to give this game a proper ending. The original Golden Sun had a cliffhanger ending but it felt like the game was finished properly (like I had finished the chapter and now it's time for the next one).

I guess I find it terrible because it took all these years just to get that!? I didn't wait that long for Lost Age and the game was amazing. I was disappointed to the point that I want to treat this game the way people treat CD-i Zelda and pretend like it doesn't exist.

just to enlight the younger crowds this video show the "zelda that doesn't exist" have fun laughing or having nightmare for something too dumb to exist...
0:54 is my favorite part :p

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

13. Posted:

I like how points 3 and 4 are essentially true about the first 2 games.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mamp

14. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I like how points 3 and 4 are essentially true about the first 2 games.

I can see why you say that, but you have to admit this game takes the cake. Also I want cake now, I should go buy some cake.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

15. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

If you play it before playing the two GBA games not really. What I've gathered is that it's only really disappointing as a sequel.

Well, it was my first Golden Sun game, and I'd easily call really, really bad, just as a JRPG fan. Bad story, super generic cookie-cutter unlikable cast. The talking system (With the emoticons) in scenes was horribly broken, and served to make the protagonist even worse than he was. There was a point of no return every five minutes, which just made the world less interesting than it was. Not to mention the game was so easy I could beat it in my sleep, the only reason I didn't was because the game just about put me to sleep.

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

16. Posted:

Ok audience here's the story of the game...now let's forget about that and move on to this story. Now, remember the first story? Well here it is again...and too bad there's a cliffhanger.

Pure writing genius :)

Edited on by Unca_Lz

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Banker-Style

17. Posted:

Never played the first 2,but I did love this.
But I had friends who played the previous 2 and found this to be quite crap.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slayer

18. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

As Captain Falcon would say, Yes!

Nope. He'd say, "Show me your moves!"
Now, Golden Sun Dark Dawn can't be that bad. I haven't tried it. Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age were great and the two best GBA games of all time.
Let me try it.

"Hello sir, may I take your order?"
"Yes, I'll have a cheeseburger and fries..."
"I AM the cheeseburger and fries!"
Things you need to know about me:
I hate Texas.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

steamhare

19. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I like how points 3 and 4 are essentially true about the first 2 games.

To be fair, the first two games don't solve the puzzles for you, and dark dawn usually forces you to use the puzzle solving psynergy before the puzzle can be completed. Even though the puzzles are all easier than anything in the first two games.

But yeah, combat hasn't changed difficulty much, and the first golden sun had an incredibly unsatisfying cliffhanger ending.

Edited on by steamhare

steamhare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

20. Posted:

0Games wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

As Captain Falcon would say, Yes!

Nope. He'd say, "Show me your moves!"
Now, Golden Sun Dark Dawn can't be that bad. I haven't tried it. Golden Sun and Golden Sun The Lost Age were great and the two best GBA games of all time.
Let me try it.

Well, IMO, it's not only that bad, it's worse!

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai