Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 9,101 to 9,120 of 9,620

damolii

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

A post about collision in the zelda engine.. any opinions/comments are welcome.

Also a collision extension needs to be coded for things like enemy arrows, fireballs, and such.
And link's sword.
I could simplify it and assume if link is swinging and his sprite hits an object then the object dies if its within a pixel range in front of whatever direction he's facing.
But you see how this quickly consumes conditional statements.
If link_facing==2 then if link_swinging==true then if swing_frame<=4 then if current_enemy_x<link_x+16 and current_enemy_x>linkx and current_enemy_Y<link_y+16 and current_enemy_y+16>link_y then hit_en==true: en_hit_num=current_enemy

Can you.... do that? O.o

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

Discostew

Gimmemorecoinz wrote:

A post about collision in the zelda engine.. any opinions/comments are welcome.

Also a collision extension needs to be coded for things like enemy arrows, fireballs, and such.
And link's sword.
I could simplify it and assume if link is swinging and his sprite hits an object then the object dies if its within a pixel range in front of whatever direction he's facing.
But you see how this quickly consumes conditional statements.
If link_facing==2 then if link_swinging==true then if swing_frame<=4 then if current_enemy_x<link_x+16 and current_enemy_x>linkx and current_enemy_Y<link_y+16 and current_enemy_y+16>link_y then hit_en==true: en_hit_num=current_enemy

Why not set the sword sprite with a collision box via SPCOL, enemies also with a collision box, have them both contain a group bit that is the same that is not shared by Link, and then during the frames of the sword swinging, check via SPHIT to see if the sword sprite is colliding with an enemy sprite?

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

BonChoi

Okay,. after many days of hard work, here it is! PTC-DOS 1.6!

BonChoi wrote:

Okay after long days of working, it is out! PTC-DOS v1.6!

...I'm sorry.

Programmer for Minecraft DS!

Press B!

Gimmemorecoinz

Hey everyone, if you like cool games, here's my new little demo. ROBOT BATTLE.
It's a bit minimilistic. But I tried hard with presentation.
Here.. it is... http://imgur.com/WiBMAHE
I hope people are cool with it. >.<
Dont die!

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

SmokedSausage

damolii wrote:

I think that the lure and awe of a programming tool on portable devices such as the DSi and 3DS is starting to wear off sadly :/

On a lighter note though, does anyone have any idea on text effects?? For instance, I have this method of making text appear next to one another, but it's rather tiresome:
?"H":WAIT 5: CLS: ?"HE":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HEL":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HELL":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HELLO"
As you can see it's really long... and "bulky", as it erases all the text on screen. Anyways, I thought of saving letters, and storing them as numbers or characters, then finding a way to load these characters whenever I please. However, the method I thought of applying those characters seemed rather counterproductive, as it required going through the same process mentioned above, just with characters. Does anyone have ideas on how to make this process more efficient, especially the part about erasing all the text on screen(it bothers me)? It's pretty exciting thinking about different ways. It could change the PTC text world forever!!! ^o^

FINALLY SOMEONE BESIDES ME HAS THE FREAKING STANDALONE!? Omg, we should play sometime.

Hi, I'm SmokedSausage and i like meemoos :^)

Twitter:

InsertPi

I have begun work on RPG Maker 2014 PTC! RPG Maker PC brought us games like Ib and The Witch's House. This PTC version will allow you to make games like that, just not as complicated. The game maker will come as two programs. One for the editor, and one for the engine. You edit your game in the editor. When you save, it uses 4 GRPs for the data and any provided custom spritesheets, all packaged with the engine. This whole process will be automatic, so upon launching your program (name of your choice—also automatic) it will load up just like a normal game! The final product is packaged so you don't have random files floating around and for ease when publishing your game. You can make a full-out game without ever going into the PTC editor! The GRPs will hold data as follows:

1 for map layers one and two
1 for all strings of text in the program (up to 382 128-character long strings
2 for the event layer (stuff like going from room to room, doors, inspect items, triggers, cutscenes, etc.)

From the people I've asked, it's a good idea. What are you guys' opinions?

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

LeviCelJir

Sounds kewl Hi. I hope you finish it Hi.

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

Mariominer

I discovered something while programming with BG tiles. So, I loaded a BGU0 file, and display looked fabulous on the top screen, but on the bottom looked terrible. It turns out that when you load a BGU resource tile to display on the top and bottom screen, you need to load it 2 times-changing the BGPAGE. So does this mean potential? Could you have 2 different BGU files of the same number loaded at a time and do something funky with that? I also discovered something else. It turns out in DATA statements, the quotes around strings do not need to exist as long as there's no spaces. This can be useful in some cases, like in making a hexadecimal string in data-
DATA FFFFFF
READ WHITE$
COLSET "GRP", 1,WHITE$
So it can be useful. Feel free to use quotes, and don't forget to do quotes with strings with spaces, commas, or colons. Quotes are still probably the way to go.

Edited on by Mariominer

Like a boss? Please, I AM a boss. You're welcome

3DS Friend Code: 1543-5315-3818 | Nintendo Network ID: Storybookten9

damolii

SmokedSausage wrote:

FINALLY SOMEONE BESIDES ME HAS THE FREAKING STANDALONE!? Omg, we should play sometime.

??? The..standalone...??

InsertPi

Petit Computer yet again defied my expectations with memory. For RPG Maker 2014 PTC, I need a map array for 380+ rooms, each room being 15x9. So look at how huge these arrays are that I DIMmed with no problems!

DIM MAP(5760,18) '15*384 rooms, 9*2 layers
DIM EVENT$(5760,9) '15*374 rooms, 9 layers, string to hold "event commands"

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

LeviCelJir

IAmAPersson wrote:

Petit Computer yet again defied my expectations with memory. For RPG Maker 2014 PTC, I need a map array for 380+ rooms, each room being 15x9. So look at how huge these arrays are that I DIMmed with no problems!

DIM MAP(5760,18) '15*384 rooms, 9*2 layers
DIM EVENT$(5760,9) '15*374 rooms, 9 layers, string to hold "event commands"

Whoa that's amazing Hi

Edited on by LeviCelJir

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

damolii

@IAmAPersson I have been messing with your text scrolled TRYING to get it to work with DATA.. and I haven't solved a things Self Esteem-9001!! Could you release the QR code with the DATA already there? Thx '~'

InsertPi

@damolii sure.
Also, I have to remember that I DIMmed a 30,000 slot array for the memory for my Brainf*ck Interpreter, plus a 100,000 for code storage. Minecraft DS has 4 128x128 arrays. They can be very large.

SmokedSausage

damolii wrote:

SmokedSausage wrote:

??? The..standalone...??

Wow, did i seriously just quote the wrong reply...my bad...

Hi, I'm SmokedSausage and i like meemoos :^)

Twitter:

Mariominer

Hey! I noticed that GRP data is my favorite way to store map information. For these following reasons I support this claim: 1. GRP data is easily changeable and modifiable, 2. You can easily save map data by just saying "SAVE "GRP:NAME", and 3. With 256X192 pixels, it can save large amounts of data.
My first reason is that GRP is easily changeable (GRP is really just short for Graphic). You can call commands to modify 1 block or a whole section using a single command- GPSET or GFILL or GLINE or a whole ton of graphical commands. Graphic is also easily read because of the 255 numbers they can store. And if you take two spaces you can hold 255255 (EDIT: No. You can't. You could with 6 pixels though 030). All you need to Use if GSPOIT().
Saving map data is really easy. You can write the inventory using some FOR NEXT and GPSET. Then all you need to do is load it and read the inventory and, if you use GRP in the entire program, no reading is needed for the map.
Lastly, GRPs can hold massive amount of data. with 255*191 pixels, you can hold a 255*190 map and still have enough room to have a 255 item inventory! They can hold all your variables, as long as you make sure the map isn't too big, or you'll run out of space. You still probably won't run out of room. I have a map that is the entire screen with 1 block map tiles, and I can still put WAAAAAAAY more data in there.
As you can see, I can bring a GRP debate to the table. Consider what I thought, and vote for the Affirmative team! Totally debate!

Edited on by Mariominer

Discostew

@Mariominer A little off on your numbers. It can hold 256x192 bytes worth of data. 2 pixels can hold a value up to 65535 (p1*256+p2). It's the best way to hold raw data, but unfortunately, its rather slow to read/write to it.

Discostew

Mariominer

Ha ha ha. I knew the first numbers were wrong- I just assumed of the coordinates at first. The data of 2 pixels I just estimated as a string value thing type-
A$=STR$(GSPOIT(X,Y))
B$=STR$(GSPOIT(X+1))
A=VAL(A$+B$)
I'm not sure if that would work, but thanks for saying what I was off from.

Edited on by Mariominer

Discostew

Mariominer wrote:

Ha ha ha. I knew the first numbers were wrong- I just assumed of the coordinates at first. The data of 2 pixels I just estimated as a string value thing type-
A$=STR$(GSPOIT(X,Y))
B$=STR$(GSPOIT(X+1))
A=VAL(A$+B$)
I'm not sure if that would work, but thanks for saying what I was off from.

Technically, it wouldn't work because it would not allow all the values between 0 and 255255. A value like 1830 is possible, but now you have to base it on either "18"+"30" or "183"+"0". Now, what about a value of 100001? In string concatenation with 2 values from 0 to 255, you'd attempt something like "100"+"001". You can get "100" easily, but how would you get "001"? Or what about the value of 100830? "100" is possible, but not "831" as that exceeds 255.

Discostew

Mariominer

Yes. I always get SOMETHING wrong. Maybe you could do something odd to make it work like
IF A$!="0" AND LEN(B$)<3 THEN B$=B$+"0"*(3-len(B$))
As for the 100831 example, you have a good point. AGAIN I'm not sure if that code bit would work, as it's untested.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic