Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,841 to 3,860 of 9,620

ramstrong

I see that the link ALSO have info on 3D hardware. Very interesting read, indeed! Thank you for posting it. Rather technical, though. My brain is at max capacity just trying to understand what's going on.

@randomous
Yes, I did. That's why when I'm testing math operation, I use single letter variable and put it all in one line. Thank you for posting your tests.

@discostew
FOR I=0 TO 90000:A=(TEST):NEXT
where (TEST) = 6+3, 6-3, 6x3,6/3,COS(4),ATAN(6,3)
My theory is that PTC parse multiplication ahead of addition/subtraction for program running optimization.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

boot

When are the ssb games going to be done cant wait. Will it be today

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

Hairmanban19

@Swordx i probably won't be able to post the sprites today because my dad is using the computer that i've been using for today. And my SD card won't fit in my other computer.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Pixelrobin

@IamAPerson620
I found another overflow which sometimes occurs upon colliding with a wall while walking with it. There isnt much we could do, for the error is a result of PTC not being able to handle all those numbers. You might want to remember that PTC was created for the dsi, and needs to translate the BASIC code into native code.

I still have dreams of PTC3D and it being able to handle polygonal elements. That would be quite cool.

As of PTC, I'm generally not doing much on it as of now. I got back into Gamemaker. The C - similar code is like a breath of fresh air.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

I still have dreams of PTC3D and it being able to handle polygonal elements. That would be quite cool.
As of PTC, I'm generally not doing much on it as of now. I got back into Gamemaker. The C - similar code is like a breath of fresh air.

I still prefer Processing.org to Gamemaker. You prefer Gamemaker to Processing?

Petit Computer Journal

InsertPi

zorkzedork wrote:

To the person here who was asking how to edit DATA ti change the map in that raycasting program just edit the mapdata array instead to add/remove blocks.

That was me. I knew I could do that, but I wanted more of a minecraft-creative-mode feel.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

swordx

Hairmanban19 wrote:

@Swordx i probably won't be able to post the sprites today because my dad is using the computer that i've been using for today. And my SD card won't fit in my other computer.

No problem!

By the way, I won't be posting anymore videos for about a week. I'm going on vacation.

swordx

InsertPi

boot wrote:

I think they will be posted this Monday.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

Ralph

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

zorkzedork wrote:

To the person here who was asking how to edit DATA ti change the map in that raycasting program just edit the mapdata array instead to add/remove blocks.

That was me. I knew I could do that, but I wanted more of a minecraft-creative-mode feel.

I don't know that feel.

Ralph

Discostew

ramstrong wrote:

I see that the link ALSO have info on 3D hardware. Very interesting read, indeed! Thank you for posting it. Rather technical, though. My brain is at max capacity just trying to understand what's going on.

@randomous
Yes, I did. That's why when I'm testing math operation, I use single letter variable and put it all in one line. Thank you for posting your tests.

@discostew
FOR I=0 TO 90000:A=(TEST):NEXT
where (TEST) = 6+3, 6-3, 6x3,6/3,COS(4),ATAN(6,3)
My theory is that PTC parse multiplication ahead of addition/subtraction for program running optimization.

Maybe, but I wonder if using static whole numbers has something to do with it. Think you could try using a mix of fractional numbers and whole numbers for the test (so 4 tests? whole+whole, whole+frac, frac+whole, frac+frac) and see how they differ? Maybe even test them being in variables rather than static as they are? My theory is that, internally, additions might be doing 3 operations while multiplication is only doing 2, all on the basis of dealing with fixed-point numbers.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

boot

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

boot wrote:

I think they will be posted this Monday.

Cool

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

InsertPi

How do I make/use sprites? I want to add to the Raycasting program a Minecraft-like menu on the bottom screen, with touchable buttons. (By the way, I have added the ability to toggle 8x8/16x16 textures. Should I add support for texture packs?) Also, a couple more questions, is it possible to save a variable in one program, then use the EXEC command and use that variable in another program? And can I use RESTORE in one program, then use EXEC and still be able to use the restored data?

swordx

The recent Petit Computer Wiki poll thinks I'm making Obliviation...WTF!!!

swordx

ramstrong

Discostew wrote:

Maybe, but I wonder if using static whole numbers has something to do with it. Think you could try using a mix of fractional numbers and whole numbers for the test (so 4 tests? whole+whole, whole+frac, frac+whole, frac+frac) and see how they differ? Maybe even test them being in variables rather than static as they are? My theory is that, internally, additions might be doing 3 operations while multiplication is only doing 2, all on the basis of dealing with fixed-point numbers.

You have an interesting theory, but I'm afraid the parsing overshadow that theory. Unless you want me to use 6.0x3.5 instead of 6x3.5
ADD
WW 175,175,175
FW 185,185,184
WF 202,203,203
FF 195,194,194

MUL
WW 172,173,173
FW 182,182,182
WF 183,182,183
FF 192,193,192

Interesting that ADD Whole+Fract yields 203, instead of expected 184. Yes, I triple checked the source code!

Petit Computer Journal

ramstrong

Here's with variable assignment to avoid parsing problem:
ADD
WW 201,202,202
FW 202,202,202
WF 201,201,201
FF 202,202,202

MUL
WW 199,199,199
FW 199,199,199
WF 200,200,200
FF 199,199,199

B=6:C=3:FOR I=0 TO 90000:A=B+C:NEXT

I can only guess that variable lookup is very expensive. Strange that the times flatten out, though.

EDIT:
Splitting variable assignments and FOR loop does not change the timing. Just in case the parsing screws up because it's all in one line. Well, it doesn't.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal

ramstrong

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

Also, a couple more questions, is it possible to save a variable in one program, then use the EXEC command and use that variable in another program? And can I use RESTORE in one program, then use EXEC and still be able to use the restored data?

I think you can. Just stay away from CLEAR. CLEAR is used, among other things to clear the memory variables including arrays, and since you need to initialize array when starting your program, it's rather tricky to use.

I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can RESTORE in another program. Try storing the data in an array/BG/Graphic instead.

Petit Computer Journal

damolii

ramstrong wrote:

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

Also, a couple more questions, is it possible to save a variable in one program, then use the EXEC command and use that variable in another program? And can I use RESTORE in one program, then use EXEC and still be able to use the restored data?

I think you can. Just stay away from CLEAR. CLEAR is used, among other things to clear the memory variables including arrays, and since you need to initialize array when starting your program, it's rather tricky to use.

I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can RESTORE in another program. Try storing the data in an array/BG/Graphic instead.

I don't think you even need to use EXEC. I had used some of another person's code so I could use some of it for my walking engine. However I realized that although it worked when I ran that person's program before mine,Mine did not work individually. I had to dissect the code and figure it out.

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

Gimmemorecoinz

I'm awake now. Hoorayy. and feeling mildly lazy.
I'm going to post a video of my ssb game, and touch it up a bit today then release the QR codes. I realized why sometimes palletes might mess up on me.
I'm not feeling up to coding alot today so I'll probably just post the whole thing as it is. And let people mess with it.

Though.. I did want to do more with the stage, I'll get to it later. I set out mostly what i wanted to accomplish even though there's literally nothing/no one
to fight in the game yet.
Was thinking of playing smash bros for gamecube today and just testing some things so I have a better idea of what I'm trying to do again.

EDIT: I may try to add different npc enemies you can fight but they'll only be one or two frame characters, or at best squares. For now.
I plan to slow down development on this and take a break so I can do other stuff with my free time. But I will continue developing it from here on out alongside my LTTP game.
FYI Sprites that are 32X32 in petit computer are a PAIN in the arse to work with.

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

Okay so now I've changed my mind again... I'm going to try to do some kind of a nice little intro to the game first.
Then a title screen.
Then the first stage.. with some music. and leave it at that for today.
It shouldn't take me too long since the intro will only feature one cut scene.
With probably no custom sprites.. just text (For now)
and then the graphical title screen
With the "push start" button.
Then you end up on the stage as mario (for now)
then a character select screen will be coded up later.
the reason I haven't added anything for you to fight yet is because I want to just get the game to feel more like a game than a tech demo.
I feel like once some kind of menu and title screen is in place it'll be more of a game and then I can go on to add other features.
Mario's jump might need tweaking. I'll finish up this one part and then i'll post QR codes. Hooray.. erp..
I may need to export some of this and paste it into petit computer >.<
ah well... we'll see i guess..

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic