Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,681 to 3,700 of 9,620

randomous

@Gimmemorecoinz The flicker is probably caused by you not using VSYNC. Make sure you put at least VSYNC 1 in any loops that are supposed to continuously draw to a visible part of the screen. The weird tile set that won't go away is probably because you overwrote the "empty" tile in your BG sheet, which is the very first tile. The very first tile of the very first BG sheet you're editing should always be left transparent. But I could be wrong...

randomous

Eel

@randomous: oh don't worry! Not disappointed at all (I too dislike petit vaporwares!) By scene I meant "that series of comments", sorry if I worded it in a weird way.

And... I completely skipped that part where you mentioned the minecraft clone! That's a classic of our petit computer history.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

randomous

@Morphtorok Lol when you said scene, I immediately thought of a child having a temper-tantrum. I thought I had tramped through the corridors of this forum in a blinding angst-like rage or something lol.

Edit: There's going to be 3 special "ores" that will reference some of my favorite games and anime in Village. The rest are pretty basic. I won't spoil them for you, so when the next update comes out, be on the look out! One of them is going to be a "one time only" find (because there's only supposed to be 1... I think). I might do something special with that one... like increase luck or something when it's in your inventory.

Edit 2: Vaporware... now that's a real term I've never heard before!

Edited on by randomous

randomous

swordx

Morphtorok wrote:

@randomous: oh don't worry! Not disappointed at all (I too dislike petit vaporwares!) By scene I meant "that series of comments", sorry if I worded it in a weird way.

And... I completely skipped that part where you mentioned the minecraft clone! That's a classic of our petit computer history.

lol I found th page where I state that the Munecraft guy was a troll before anyone else. lol

swordx

Eel

swordx wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

lol I found th page where I state that the Munecraft guy was a troll before anyone else. lol

I think we all knew... But noone wanted to say anything just in case it was real.

It wasn't until he started to say s program was over 3000000000 lines long and used 90 qr codes that we all jumped on him lol

Bloop.

Gimmemorecoinz

I have another issue... I think it's more to do specifically with the fact bgput places the tile at the tile offset and NOT at a specific coordinate...
Like say I want the tile to be camera_x+temp

where..
temp is say, 2
so the tile is placed at the TILES bg coordinate of X=2
now.. I want to add the camera_x value to it. Let's say the camera_x value is 4
this will result in the tile being placed at it's X location offset of 6
so if my tilesize is 8
The tile will be placed at screen coordinate 8*6
this is NOT what I want.
Is there a way I can place tiles (without turning every tile in my damn game into a sprite) at screen offsets that aren't grid locked.
Grid locked tiles=no
and I don't want to use bgofs to make the entire map scroll because I want pixel perfect collision or very specific collision.
Erm.. and yeah.. I'm not getting that here. :/
Any advice on a better way to do a large scrolling map would be nice.
NOTE: I don't want to scroll tile by tile. I want the tiles to scroll pixel by pixel. >.> smoothly.
I dont want them to do it over a certain number of frames either.
I want to place the tiles on the screen at "any" coordinates of my choice.
Help? thanks! in advance.

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

What would be realistic.. is if he said.. he was using homebrew software to create minecraft for an architecture similiar to the one the 3DS uses that way when it's done, and homebrew is possible on the 3DS, he can then use the 3Ds's 3d capabilities to launch a modified version of minecraft for 3DS
Which basically all he'd have to do. .is get some version of tinylinux or microlinux with java support and miniatureize the java runtime.
recode alot of minecraft from the original version not the pc version but classic minecraft.
and then, boom.
Because i'm pretty sure minecraft classic is small enough to be ported directly to 3DS using a form of a linux kernel that's able to run a java VM.
Then you just run minecraft IN the java VM on the 3DS.
Problemo solved... only...
you'd have to give the java vm a modified version of graphical and hardware context references to work from.
So you'd probably need some kind of kernel specifically for 3DS running the java VM to start with.
That's not un realistic to develop but it sure would take more than just petit computer to accomplish this.

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

randomous

@Gimmemorecoinz Have the things I've said helped at all? Unfortunately, I don't think BG's support placing tiles "wherever". That's probably what lets you have a whole bunch of them on the screen at one time... there's less data to sift through if it's all locked to a grid (even if the grid can be offset by a pixel amount... I think).

@Morphtorok Were you able to buy your cow statue before the shop reset?

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Gimmemorecoinz

randomous wrote:

@Gimmemorecoinz Have the things I've said helped at all? Unfortunately, I don't think BG's support placing tiles "wherever". That's probably what lets you have a whole bunch of them on the screen at one time... there's less data to sift through if it's all locked to a grid (even if the grid can be offset by a pixel amount... I think).

@Morphtorok Were you able to buy your cow statue before the shop reset?

Yes alot of the things you've said have helped.
I wish I didn't have to make my array one size larger than I actually want it to.
I sort of forgot that when I dim Myarray(10, 10)
it actually sorts it from 0-9 and so 10 isn't valid. That's kind of unfair on the user's part. if you ask me. Lol.
I'm trying to figure out a good way to use bgofs now, because, my issue last time I did that was that I couldn't get link to move at the same scrolling speed
as the background per pixel. So doing collision would be sort of hard...
I guess I might have to create a seperate "layer" of data that works as collision data, and uses a real screen coordinate offset and
scrolls exactly with the tiles in the backdrop.
I could do it that way but I really don't want to have to go to the trouble.
any other suggestions?

Huh. okay.. so. I've figured out part of the problem. I keep moving link's sprite relative to the screen, while the bg scrolls.
It doesn't scale because he reaches the top of the screen before he's supposed to.
In other projects this isn't an issue since I just convert all graphics to screen coordinates then draw my tiles directly and do collision checks.
This doesn't seem to be the case :/
I think I might have an idea on how to use the bgofs though.
I could use a camerax and cameray parameter as the bgofs then check links coordinates relative to the camera
and then, once i've done that I can use the tile check. get the tile closest to link and check against their coordinates by subtracting from the camera. or something.
I'm thinking of an alternative to.
I could use the gpage commands to draw all of the tiles, and then scroll the tiles from that gpage myself somehow.. I dunno though if I can place tiles on the gpages or not.
It might not work.
Anywho I'm learning more about how this stuff works every day. I have to really change how I think about programming and coordinates to make my ideas work on petit computer. How do you guys put up with these limitations lol?

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

randomous

@Morphtorok Lol but I worked so hard on the gameplay!

By the way, weren't you going to update Petit Farm to include that song? I wanted to see how well they went together!

randomous

Eel

randomous wrote:

@Morphtorok Lol but I worked so hard on the gameplay!

By the way, weren't you going to update Petit Farm to include that song? I wanted to see how well they went together!

I did! I haven't, like, been able to use my computer to read my SD card for quite some time now though, so the update is kind of stuck with me for now.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Ralph

Wow there were a lot of posts last night, although they were all by the same 6 people haha.
Going to mess around with touch screen input today.

Ralph

Waffle003

Ok, SSB... Unleashed, sound good? Check the Wikia, I've got a demo coming next week!

Waffle003

InsertPi

I'm in the process of making artificial 3d. It has the same properties as regular 3d, except because there is no DRAW3D command in PTC, you have to make it manually. You have to define EVERYTHING!!! Below is the formula I use to control the X coords of the top-right-front corner when going left the first 45 degrees:

F(3)=(F(3)/1.05)•1.05/5

The numbers are extremely sensitive as well. Some of my numbers are as exact as 1.00125. Very difficult to do, but I encourage anyone who wants to do so to try!

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

swordx

Waffle003 wrote:

Ok, SSB... Unleashed, sound good? Check the Wikia, I've got a demo coming next week!

Can you stop trolling? Clearly it is not coming out...

swordx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic