Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,321 to 3,340 of 9,620

swordx

Markybhoy wrote:

Since Petit isnt out yet until tomorrow would it be worth working through this basic tutorial ?

http://www.svatopluk.com/qbtutor/

I'm assuming most variants of Basic are similar ?

I've not done any Basic programming before.

I'd suggest that you just do what I did: mess with coding and use the manual for help. If you ever have trouble with something, just ask around on the forums! That's something I'll be doing soon to get a better understanding of the save function. I've had it explained to me before, but I don't remember exactly how to do it.

swordx

damolii

@swordx thank you for responding to my question, but it basically does the same thing as before. Thanks, though

@everyone I am trying to find a way to make the opponent sprite act as an obstacle, so my sprite doesn't go through it. Anyone have ideas???

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

swordx

damolii wrote:

@swordx thank you for responding to my question, but it basically does the same thing as before. Thanks, though

@everyone I am trying to find a way to make the opponent sprite act as an obstacle, so my sprite doesn't go through it. Anyone have ideas???

No no no, you don't understand. Say the variables for player positionvarevX and Y. When you press the button to move, set the variable OLDX as X, and OLDY as Y. If collision is detected, set X as OLDX, and Y as OLDY. In other words, you're returning the X and Y values to their old values from before the collision wa detected. This is what I used in my game's engine.

swordx

Hairmanban19

@Swordx now i got stuck on QR code 30 but i don't want you to go through more trouble trying to fix it so sorry if i'm being annoying.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

swordx

hairmanban19 wrote:

@Swordx now i got stuck on QR code 30 but i don't want you to go through more trouble trying to fix it so sorry if i'm being annoying.

I'll review the video to see if there's a problem.

Pause at different moments. Also, try scanning at an angle. It looks fine to me.

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

hairmanban19 wrote:

Pause at different miments. Also, try scanning at an angle. It looks fine to me.

I guess its just my computer or my 3DS camera that is being annoying,because i paused at a bunch of different parts and i tried different angles. But like i said i don't want you to go through all of that trouble just for me.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

swordx

hairmanban19 wrote:

swordx wrote:

hairmanban19 wrote:

Pause at different miments. Also, try scanning at an angle. It looks fine to me.

I guess its just my computer or my 3DS camera that is being annoying,because i paused at a bunch of different parts and i tried different angles. But like i said i don't want you to go through all of that trouble just for me.

It's okay...I'll just do what Randomous suggested...

Or I could just post a video only containing QR code #'s 30-35.

Edited on by swordx

swordx

ejamer

Markybhoy wrote:

Since Petit isnt out yet until tomorrow would it be worth working through this basic tutorial ?

If you are really eager to get started, the official Petit Computer Strategy guide (available from http://www.petitcomputer.com/ in Kindle, iOS, Android, or PC formats) might be your best bet... just be aware there are some caveats.

First off, it's an extra $10. So your budget will certainly affect interest.

Also, this book is also a weird mix of introductory/background information, sample programs with source code provided, and bits of detail about the Smile Basic language. It's not going to hold your hand and teach you how to program, nor will it give advanced reference materials for people who really want to dig into the language. It kind of falls into an awkward spot where I'm not sure what the intended audience is. However, the tips and programs and history come together as an interesting enough read that most people who want to use Petit Computer should be able to take something away.

So not an automatic recommendation... but if you are interested in working with Petit Computer then it's not a bad read.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

swordx

randomous wrote:

@swordx I'm still willing to do it for you if you don't want to sign up for dropbox: [email protected]

Ewww you haz AOL. lol JK But nah, I'll be fine. I've done this much already. I'd be better off just finishing this.

swordx

ramstrong

swordx wrote:

damolii wrote:

No no no, you don't understand. Say the variables for player positionvarevX and Y. When you press the button to move, set the variable OLDX as X, and OLDY as Y. If collision is detected, set X as OLDX, and Y as OLDY. In other words, you're returning the X and Y values to their old values from before the collision wa detected. This is what I used in my game's engine.

That will work. There is a built-in command SPCOLVEC just for the purpose of collision detection, though. You simply set the displacement x and displacement y, and the sprite collision detection will activate prior to the sprite actually being there.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

swordx

ramstrong wrote:

swordx wrote:

damolii wrote:

That will work. There is a built-in command SPCOLVEC just for the purpose of collision detection, though. You simply set the displacement x and displacement y, and the sprite collision detection will activate prior to the sprite actually being there.

Really? I didn't know that...

swordx

damolii

@swordx and @ramstrong thank you both very much. I will try these!!! XD

P.S: @swordx, with your way, I would need SPOFS, but I am using background scrolling though. My fault for not mentioning that. Would you mind writing it here,so I can see it visually???

Edited on by damolii

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

randomous

@swordx Lol that's my email that I've had since the dawn of the internet. I don't use it for anything personal anymore, it's just the one I give out in case people want to contact me for random crap.

randomous

randomous

@Bluerobin2 Haha, well at the time, that wasn't the case. But it fits now, so yes!

randomous

Pixelrobin

So the video editing program finally stoped crashing, but then my computer did. I am upgraging to, 7 now ›:/. Me no like XP.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

swordx

damolii wrote:

@swordx and @ramstrong thank you both very much. I will try these!!! XD

P.S: @swordx, with your way, I would need SPOFS, but I am using background scrolling though. My fault for not mentioning that. Would you mind writing it here,so I can see it visually???

Oh...yeah...I use sprites for almost everything. I also use SCR backgrounds when I need a background, but my backgrounds don't scroll. I use a sprite, and when my character collides with the sprite, the next screen loads up. I know how to do scrolling, but I won't do that until Dungeon Adventure 0. lol The engine I made was made in about two hours. I didn't make it too complex.

swordx

Markybhoy

ejamer wrote:

Markybhoy wrote:

If you are really eager to get started, the official Petit Computer Strategy guide (available from http://www.petitcomputer.com/ in Kindle, iOS, Android, or PC formats) might be your best bet... just be aware there are some caveats.

First off, it's an extra $10. So your budget will certainly affect interest.
So not an automatic recommendation... but if you are interested in working with Petit Computer then it's not a bad read.

Thanks, I will check that out also.

Markybhoy

Pixelrobin

Why don't we write our own strategy guide? We could each make a chapter or 2 explaining some different commands and uses of PTC. By the end of each chapter, users would have created a simple game or app while learning (ex. simple top-down fighting game with a chapter that demonstrates all sprite-related things. While you teach others, you program code with them line by line. Then we could have all the QR's at the end of the book. Heck, we could even publish it as a real book if its good!

I probably won't contribute much because of the site I'm working on though...

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic