Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,261 to 3,280 of 9,620

Pixelrobin

OK K'm back and ready for duty! I went camping with a bunch of friends and on the way, I started making a game that simulates the career of a lumberjack. (Its actually my first real use of BGOFS). And do I dream of Petit Computer 3D. Do I dream...

The site is going along fine. Most of the work is done off the actual site and a new logo is in progress. I will still use the original to show off ideas and such. So far, only me and @ramstrong (←improper grammar) Have access to the site.

@ramstrong Do something awesome with it .

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

OK K'm back and ready for duty! I went camping with a bunch of friends and on the way, I started making a game that simulates the career of a lumberjack. (Its actually my first real use of BGOFS). And do I dream of Petit Computer 3D. Do I dream...

The site is going along fine. Most of the work is done off the actual site and a new logo is in progress. I will still use the original to show off ideas and such. So far, only me and @ramstrong (←improper grammar) Have access to the site.

@ramstrong Do something awesome with it .

I've been working on an outline for lessons. So far, I've divided it into 3 phases: (1) Basic Commands - what the Help function on the program tells you. (2) Sprites, BG, CHR - Hardware wise (3) Projects - Program Based Construction Kit. Think of Lego pieces, but with subroutines.

I'm still working on the Algorithm section. Pathfinding, AI, and UI will need to be featured as well.

PS: Incorrect grammar? How would the correct one look like? Anyway, I don't mind. There's ARM-strong, and there's RAM-strong.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

randomous

@twinArmageddons You're welcome! There're actually many ways of accomplishing that. I actually prefer doing it a different way, even though it's just the slightest bit slower to process. Instead of:

SPSET 0,0,0,0,0,1
@GAMELOOP
B=BUTTON()
IF B AND 1 THEN Y=Y-1
IF B AND 2 THEN Y=Y+1
IF B AND 4 THEN X=X-1
IF B AND 8 THEN X=X+1
SPOFS 0, X, Y
VSYNC 1
GOTO @GAMELOOP

I do this:

SPSET 0,0,0,0,0,1
@GAMELOOP
B=BUTTON()
Y=Y+((B AND 2)==2)-((B AND 1)==1)
X=X+((B AND 8)==8)-((B AND 4)==4)
SPOFS 0, X, Y
VSYNC 1
GOTO @GAMELOOP

Why do I like that better? I don't know, I like equations more than if statements in BASIC (because the formatting for IF statements is just plain dumb). Also, this saves a few lines, which is important when I'm doing it 80 billion times in Village. Shoot, there I go promoting my programs again.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Pixelrobin

I still get e-mailed every time someone says @Loop (There's another e-mail) Its kinda funny....

@ramstrong I meant the overall design of the site. Don't post anything... yet.

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@ramstrong I meant the overall design of the site. Don't post anything... yet.

I like the simple version that is ramstrong.blogspot.com. I have another, fancier blogspot, but I kind of regret having it. I'm thinking of reverting the style to the simpler version. That, and some pages that acts like an outline would be best.

As far as graphic design is concerned, I'll leave it up to you. You'll be doing the lion's share of it. I'm going to start yet another blogspot. I have some wicked ideas that I've been thinking about all week, and I will start doing it tomorrow.

Petit Computer Journal

TexMurphy

@randomous
How do you get animation to work when you move around? And stop when you don't move? And by the way I use alot of @LOOP @LOOP @LOOP Bluerobin2. : P

Edited on by TexMurphy

TexMurphy

Hairmanban19

UntitledUntitled Alright here is the tutorial program @Zeldafoursword . I will be making another one that teaches you some more commands

Edited on by Hairmanban19

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

swordx

Hey guys! This finally released in Europe, so I'm going to get back into PTC! I'll try to release some games before September, including Dungeon Adventure version 1.0. If we make great games, Europeans will buy it and make great games! Let's get programming!

I just came up with a great idea for a game! GAME & WATCH Punch Out!! I'll begin working on it soon. It should be easy to program.

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Markybhoy

I've been looking forward to trying this so glad to see its coming out in Europe, the forum will probably get flooded with Europeans soon

Markybhoy

ramstrong

Markybhoy wrote:

I've been looking forward to trying this so glad to see its coming out in Europe, the forum will probably get flooded with Europeans soon

Well, then. Let's get the tutorials ready! I wonder if we can clean up the Tutorial thread a bit?

Petit Computer Journal

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

Hey guys! This finally released in Europe, so I'm going to get back into PTC! I'll try to release some games before September, including Dungeon Adventure version 1.0. If we make great games, Europeans will buy it and make great games! Let's get programming!

I just came up with a great idea for a game! GAME & WATCH Punch Out!! I'll begin working on it soon. It should be easy to program.

Glad your back @Swordx . A lot has happened,i've been making text games and i just finished a small tutorial program,and there has been a lot of other awesome games people have been making here......Your Punch Out idea sounds great! Those Game and Watch games are really fun!

Hairmanban19

ramstrong wrote:

Markybhoy wrote:

Well, then. Let's get the tutorials ready! I wonder if we can clean up the Tutorial thread a bit?

Yeah,i guess its good that i just finished my tutorial program. I'm gonna start finishing up my second one!

Pixelrobin

oh me oh my! I will never get the site done in time. ITS SUMMER!

@ramstrong you're making a tutorial site too?

@TexMurphy @TexMurphy @TexMurphy @TexMurphy @TexMurphy There are many ways to go about this, but I cannot give you a solid example right now. So maybe do something like:

BT=BUTTON(0)
ANIM=FALSE
@LOOP (lol)
IF BT==0 THEN SPANIM (whatever),1,0,0:ANIM==FALSE
IF ANIM==FALSE AND BT==TRUE (or replace this with all ppssibe combos using OR) THEN ANIM==TRUE:SPANIM (whatever),1,0,0
GOTO @LOOP

(Not tested)

Soultic

ramstrong wrote:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@Soultic the main reason your questions aren't being answered is because you go big. You ask us how we would go with large chunks of code and in other words, we are making some of the game/program for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but try starting smaller. Like the guy who asked how to print stuff on the bottom screen. Another reason is that it is not the job of the people of this thread to answer every question and not everyone knows everything about Petit Computer. Most of the time, the people on this thread look over to answer some quick questions because of lack of time. Even if then you do not get your questions answered, look at earlier posts. Someone could have already asked it. Or check out the tutorial thread. Then look at the included quide with Petit Computer. Look in the code of other games. Or just try to figure it out yourself. There is nothing wrong with discovery. I started like you, with no SmileBASIC knoledge whatsoever, so I know how you feel. Tons of my questions got turned down too. Just don't get angry with it. Try another route or wait.

On the other hand, If you would kindly re-post your questions, I shall try to answer the ones I can.

Great answer, @bluerobin2. Perhaps it's a good idea to re-post this answer on the tutorial thread, just in case there are many more people who cannot ask question properly.

It is frustrating trying to help people when the other person doesn't know what he's talking about. Looking at the text, the questions he asked is generic, broad, and really has no one definitive answer. You can fill a whole book trying to answer that question properly. And no, I don't believe he's a computer programmer. Computer programmer knows how to spell, right?

I think what he meant to say is that he knows certain computer languages. Certainly, there are many books on the subject. However, the thinking and problem solving skill that goes along with computer programming is lacking. I can't find any book on the subject. So, I think that's the problem. It's not computer programming skill problem, but a communication skill problem.

Unfortunately, computer programming is communication skill. It's like trying to tell a stupid box this complicated algorithm, and well, that's communication skill.

PS: I finally managed to get my Raspberry Pi to work and connect to the Internet! I'm using it now! So, which one is better? Python 2+Pygame, or Python 3 w/o Pygame?

Added Friend Code of @Bluerobin2 and @Discostew

Sorry! I'm so sorry please forgive me guys and I actually have no experience in computer programming! Sorry I didn't relies. But I didn't mean and I am a good speller I just wrote down stuff and didn't check over it. Sorry guys so sorry but I have not just started smile basic. I would have posted sooner but my computer messed up! I got mad because I thought I was finally going to get my answer just like that but I didn't relies! Please I started off on the wrong foot, posting something like that.

My question was how do I program a way to hold down the button to make the sprite move instead of pressing the button like 50 times to get it move 3 steps. You suggested the tutorial thread and ill check that out but I'm so sorry. Please do you forgive me? I have the skills for it and you kind of misunderstood. I have been trying to find the answer to my question and tried everything I know on it but I couldn't figure it out, so I turned to here. But I've actually never programmed another language. I have the skills of what you said I lacked. You see what I posted before was... I guess not me. I wasn't thinking and I've started off on the wrong foot so now I relies. I acted like a little kid and I'm deeply sorry BUT I DO have the skills and what it takes. Please listen to me I wasn't thinking before. Ill try the tutorial thread to find my answer. But I have not just started basic so yeah I want to leave everything in the past... pages XD and Ill restart. Thanks guys!

Edited on by Soultic

"Lets fight fire with fire!" "won't that just burn the house down?"

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

oh me oh my! I will never get the site done in time. ITS SUMMER!
@ramstrong you're making a tutorial site too?

As if winter is any better.

Not tutorial. More like simulated classroom environment. Teacher and Student. You'll see what I mean when I have it up. Something should be up by the end of this week. No promises, but I don't see how I can miss that assuming the blog is up and running.

@Soultic

Show, don't tell. Don't say you're good at spelling or programming. Show us that you are.

EDIT:
relies=realize

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal

Pixelrobin

@Soultic What are you using now? If its BTRIG() then use BUTTON(0)

swordx

I'll have Dungeon Adventure's QR codes up soon. I now have a smartphone, so uploading videos to Youtube SHOULD work for me. I hope you enjoy the game. Also, if areas past the ninth floor have bugs, PLEASE tell me. I...uh...sorta didn't test those parts. There's no save feature, so it takes a while to get that far...sorry. Also, I don't remember if I tested the character Zannaroth, or his quests. Tell me if he works when I release the game.

swordx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic