Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 9,620

KAHN

swordx wrote:

0SP_ZELDAiii wrote:

swordx wrote:

0SP_ZELDAiii wrote:

i've been told by a lot of my local friends that my story is too dark for a zelda title. i always intended it to be dark, but maybe it's too dark? i hold the zelda series very close to my heart, and i would not dream of tainting the series. i've decided not to call it Zelda iii. i'm still making it, but i'll have to skin the game with a different setting, list of characters, etc. i'm still making the game, and if you want, you can try and connect the dots to find out which character is linked to which. the story is pretty much identical to my Zelda iii project, the only difference being that names are different.

Good. I always enjoy original games more than fan-made spin-offs of already existing franchises. I'm excited to see your game. Will it be top-down or side-scrolling?

One of the games I'm working on is top-down. The engine is good, but it has a bug or two that can't be fixed without redoing the coding, so I'll have to wait for Dungeon Adventure 3 to fix it.

By the way, a video of Dungeon Adventure 2 will be released within the next month. It will only show a little bit of combat. There will NOT be any demos for this game.

it will be top down with side scrolling portions, like in Link's Awakening. i am working on sprites, but i am new to sprites, so they look really bad. i don't want to post them here until i'm satisfied with them. and since this isnt Zelda iii, i have to redesign them D;

Do what I did and start from pre-built sprites, then edit them. I made a girl with ponytails from the basic boy, and I'm TERRIBLE at art, so it helps a lot. You should also ask people if they can make you sprites.

one of my friends is already on the case with character design (he's also my man for map design and character/land names). from there, i think i'll manage sprites. thanks for the tip though!

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Justlink

@Discostew plz show me an example

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Discostew

justlink wrote:

@Discostew plz show me an example

Alright.

'Saving
SOMESTRING$="This is a string"
MEM$=SOMESTRING$
SAVE "MEM:MYSTR"
END

'Loading
LOAD "MEM:MYSTR",FALSE
SOMESTRING$=MEM$
PRINT SOMESTRING$
END

The loading code loads the string "This is a string" into a regular string, but then that string is copied to MEM$, and then saved using the save command. The saving code loads up the MEM file (the FALSE at the end dismisses the dialog that pops up when loading), and then I assign the MEM$ to a regular string, which is then sent to be printed on the screen. In fact, you don't even need that additional string if you wanted. You can read/write to MEM$ directly.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Justlink

OMG! Thank you so much. that wrked perfectly. i mean i changed the names to match wat i had. when im done with it, ill try to post qrs. its a face book like app called petit book.

@Discostew
plz add me i added u

Edited on by Justlink

Justlink

@swordx
are you almost done with your zelda like game, or are you busy with another game. Also, wasn't the first zelda game a basic made?

swordx

justlink wrote:

@swordx
are you almost done with your zelda like game, or are you busy with another game. Also, wasn't the first zelda game a basic made?

My Zelda-like game has about 2000 lines of coding. The first area (forest + temple + town) is near completion. The forest itself is done, but the town and dungeon need a little more time. Don't expect any of my games to be released until this upcoming Summer/Fall. My Spring Break starts this weekend, so I'll program a lot during that time.

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Pixelrobin

@Discostew so that is how you do it. thanks! But another question from me this time, can you save multiple variables in a single MEM?

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

swordx

bluerobin2 wrote:

@Discostew so that is how you do it. thanks! But another question from me this time, can you save multiple variables in a single MEM?

I know that this isn't directed towards me, but yes, you can. But I don't remember how to explain how to do it...

swordx

KAHN

justlink wrote:

i think making a zelda game is one of the hardest thing to do you using basic. This is because of all the things that need added. For example, are there sidequests, or will u not include them and make everything a must have for the game.

well, it all really depends on the size and content of the game.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Justlink

you know wat, i don't appreciate your attitude!

no just kidding. ok, another question @swordx. So how did you get so you could have your character move across different backgrounds. Does it sidescroll like mario, or change when reaching a certain area. And, what code allows you to do that. Sorry about all the questions, i'm a pretty much a beginner at this and learn by example.

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

justlink wrote:

@swordx

My Zelda-like game has about 2000 lines of coding. The first area (forest + temple + town) is near completion. The forest itself is done, but the town and dungeon need a little more time. Don't expect any of my games to be released until this upcoming Summer/Fall. My Spring Break starts this weekend, so I'll program a lot during that time.

I can not wait for your Zelda-like game! How many dungeons will there be in it?

Edited on by Hairmanban19

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Discostew

bluerobin2 wrote:

You can as strings (in which your numbers get converted using STR$), but what you need is some method to separate them within the 256 character MEM$ string. Assume you have "/" as your delimiting character. You can then concatenate strings together, and then save them as MEM files. When you want to load them from MEM, you would need a parser such as the following...

Use INSTR to find the delimiting character, and get its position
Use LEFT$ to grab the left portion of the string containing the first variable, and set the string as the remaining part using RIGHT$, both excluding the "/" character found using INSTR
The string after being set with RIGHT$ now excludes the first variable, so the 2nd variable now becomes the first in the full string. Repeat the above 2 steps to grab all remaining variables. Convert number strings with VAL.

CLEAR
LOAD "MEM:MYSTR",FALSE
DIM STRARR$(257)
NUMSTR=0
@GRABNEXT
SPOS=INSTR(MEM$,"/")
IF SPOS==-1 GOTO @FINISHEXT
STRARR$(NUMSTR)=LEFT$(MEM$,SPOS)
MEM$=RIGHT$(MEM$,LEN(MEM$)-SPOS-1)
NUMSTR=NUMSTR+1
GOTO @GRABNEXT
@FINISHEXT
STRARR$(NUMSTR)=MEM$
NUMSTR=NUMSTR+1

FOR I=0 TO NUMSTR-1
PRINT STRARR$(I)
NEXT

If MEM$ contains "This/is/a/string", then the output would be

This
is
a
string

If MEM$ contains "This/is not a/string", then the output would be

This
is not a
string

WARNING:
I have not tested the above code, so let me know if problems arise.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Pixelrobin

@Discostew thanks! And a quick question to everyone. If you have the battlewood demo, How do you think I can improve it?
Battlewood is planned to have the following:
-A save/load systen (Thanks to Discostew)
-Two primary weopons: A bow which has limited arrows and a sword that you can use as a backup to the bow
-A shop which you can visit between battles
-(Maybe) Custom sprites
-A more detailed but humorously twisting story
-pause option
-MORE ENEMIES (Please stop bugging me about that. It will come. Eventually )
Also, I would like someone[s] to give ideas for the story if you would like to. Also, since pretty much all of you helped in some way so can I put your club nintendp usernames in the credits? Say no if you would not like your username there. Thank you all, and from where I am, good night.

Edited on by Pixelrobin

Justlink

I have not played "Battlewood" but its sounds cool. The way to increase the fun of playing would be to lengthen the playing time by adding more diverse enemies. Another way to increase the fun, include a choice to be girl or boy, so both can play and enjoy it as much.

boot

Hey bluerobin you should make the game storyline about a boy/girl in a forest for any reason then a monster attack and the characters dad give him the bow then the dad die due to the monster. My nintenfo User name is boot.

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

Pixelrobin

@boot okay.

Justlink

@bigdog10
hey guess what. i figured out how to send messages to other people. it was simpler than i thought, but it took me forever to figure it out.

swordx

justlink wrote:

you know wat, i don't appreciate your attitude!

no just kidding. ok, another question @swordx. So how did you get so you could have your character move across different backgrounds. Does it sidescroll like mario, or change when reaching a certain area. And, what code allows you to do that. Sorry about all the questions, i'm a pretty much a beginner at this and learn by example.

I'm not sure how to make it scroll...Sooooo I decided to make it more like the older Zelda games! When you get to a certain point, it loads the next area. I generally did this with sprites, but I used the variables' value in the town, that way I could have it more open.

swordx

swordx

hairmanban19 wrote:

swordx wrote:

justlink wrote:

@swordx

I can not wait for your Zelda-like game! How many dungeons will there be in it?

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POSTING! I didn't mean too...

I'm not sure, so I'll go with three. However, there WILL be an update that adds an area that will (hopefully) be ALMOST EXACTLY like a Zelda, except with its own story and the dungeon being revamped.

You get one guess as to what Zelda game it will be from!

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Justlink

will you release a demo. And i say majoras mask. i loved it on wiis virtual console

i have also finished my first app. its called petitbook. it allows you save posts and friends and send messages over it(limited to ds wireless play, srry)

Edited on by Justlink

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic