Forums

Topic: Nobunaga's Ambition X Pokemon announced (DS, 2012, SRPG, Koei Tecmo X Nintendo) they got Pokemon in my three kingdoms

Posts 61 to 77 of 77

Joeynator3000

Alright, I'm fine with most turn based strategy games. (don't know why I can't stay into Fire Emblem, lol)
Dunno why they chose DS, but whatever.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

cc-plus

Never thought this game would come to the West, I just love the premise of it. XD I'm not too familiar with this series' renditions of the characters (I'm more of a Basara person) but the screenshots looked quirky and hammy enough for me to like them.

cc-plus

Bankai

Radixxs wrote:

Spread it around, it can't get any worse~
Not getting this~

Couldn't get worse for the Nobunaga's Ambition fans - I couldn't agree with you more.

My review for this game (import review) is about to go live. This game does a terrible job of being a crossover. It's all about the Pokemon, and about as strategic as a game of checkers without any pieces.

Wheels2050

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Radixxs wrote:

Spread it around, it can't get any worse~
Not getting this~

Couldn't get worse for the Nobunaga's Ambition fans - I couldn't agree with you more.

My review for this game (import review) is about to go live. This game does a terrible job of being a crossover. It's all about the Pokemon, and about as strategic as a game of checkers without any pieces.

Hmm, that's disappointing. I've never played a Nobunaga's Ambition game before, but I was hoping for something fairly in-depth.

Oh well.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

They probably aren't interested in a simplified crossover.

you don't know fans of...anything, if you believe that

ChocoGoldfish wrote:

Looks like I was right after all. XD

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Joeynator3000

Is there a way to raise a certain stat in Pokemon? I've checked some sites and they said some evolve when a certain stat reaches a certain number.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

MrGameluvr

I'm confused on a certain matter, can someone help me? Every Pokemon site I go to says that there is a new episode available for Pokemon Conquest but when I went to get it I got an episode about a completely different character than the one that was talked about in the announcement. Can someone help me clear this up?

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7646-0932.
Nintendo Network ID: MrGameluvr92

RabidPikachu

I am a fan of both series and actually while its not as difficult in the main story some of the other ones are more challanging. I've had my copy since its US release and I think considering its a very bizzare cross over between two totally differant series and concepts the game was nicely done, even though they practacally sacrificed good story telling in exchange for cutesyness which is the biggest flaw since ambitions was never a cute game to srart. I'd give it a rating of 6.5 out of 10.

3DS Friend code 4425-2142-6328

Hokori

Still can't find this game, I really want it to

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

oninowon

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

I don't really understand how you guys feel deceived that this isn't more like Nobunaga's Ambition. The title, after all, is Pokemon Conquest. The Nobunaga game was only linked to this game because Koei is famous for the Nobunaga game line and they were making a strategy rpg using Japanese characters in a Pokemon srpg.

I disagree about it not being a good mix. It is a great mix if you want to experience Pokemon in a different type of genre. The thing you have to keep in mind is that it is foremost a Pokemon game and less about Nobunaga's Japan. Hell, it doesn't even take place in Japan. Nobunaga is cast as a villain and isn't even the main character. The only similarities to the Nobunaga game is that it is a strategy rpg, you recruit Samurai, you can level up areas within the provinces, and train your troops (in this case your Samurai and their Pokemon) in between battles. If you really want to get technical there is a bit of Advanced Wars and even Final Fantasy Tactics in the game. Each Samurai have an ability you can pull off once per battle. Each battle has a winning and losing condition.

Strategy rpgs, in general, are usually much deeper than typical rpgs and this is no exception. Not only do you have to worry about which pokemon to pit against an enemy Pokemon, you have to worry about facing, direction of attack, terrain, and the Samurai that is partnered with that Pokemon. Strategy and tactics play a large part in this game. You have to make decisions on which Samurai to station in which province because the enemy can counter attack. You have to take time improving the relationship between Samurai and their Pokemon partners. Not only are you looking to find all 200 Pokemon, but also recruiting and finding the perfect partner for each Samurai. You are constantly recruiting Samurai so it is important to see what their affinity is (just like Pokemon) so you can create either a balanced unit or a unit geared to exploit an enemy's weakness.

What Koei did was something so wacky but it works and it works great. All the elements mesh well.

oninowon

kkslider5552000

I will say the complaints about this being too simple seem a lot more valid when it's being called simple compared to FE and FFTA. I dunno, I think this might be a rare time where "but it's for kids" is somewhat of a justified explanation? It would be a lot more justified if I wasn't specifically thinking of America on a handheld system that was replaced more than a year ago. Maybe a sort of strategy game equivalent of Mystic Quest even.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

oninowon

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I will say the complaints about this being too simple seem a lot more valid when it's being called simple compared to FE and FFTA.

I think it is nearly on par with FE and FFTA. Those games have a deep advancement and class system. There is a paper-scissor-rock element to those games as well (some units are stronger or weaker against certain units). Terrain plays an important part. Facing too. FE and FFTA also has a good amount of goods to equip your troops with. PC has all of that too.

In PC, you have to divide your time between improving your Pokemon and Samurai stats and improving the relationship between Pokemon and Samurai. Each Pokemon has more powerful forms with some giving you more control as to what type of Pokemon you want them to grow into. Some Samurai also seem to have a higher form (but I don't knwo if the story dictates the growth or if it is in player's control).

The combat system is much deeper than the regular Pokemon game and on par with FE and FFTA. Not only do you have to worry about the elemental nature of each Pokemon, you also have to worry about the Samurai that is linked to each Pokemon because they will throw you a curve ball to the predictable rock-paper-scissor aspect of Pokemon battle. As with typical srpgs, terrain is very important since certain terrains will effect the effectivenss of certain Pokemon. Even the equipment that a Samurai has effects the outcome of battle in some way.

I thnk it unfortunate that just because it has Pokemon in the title, this is considered a shallow strategy rpg. It really is anything but.

oninowon

Bankai

Oninowon, this game is called Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan. I am perfectly entitled to expect it to be more like a Nobunaga game. Especially since I have the Japanese box, and there it is with a name mocking me, pretending it's a real strategy game.

And no, this, FFTA, Fire Emblem, none of these are strategy games. These are tactics games. They're strategy games that have had lobotomies. Nobunaga's Ambition is a strategy game. It requires tactical intelligence of a kind more like a PC game like Civilization, and so it exists on an entirely different plane.

It was dumb to try and pull Nobunaga's Ambition into this game. Really, really dumb. It let me expect something - and get really excited for it, since I am a big fan of Nobunaga's Ambition - and then was crushingly disappointing. There's no real depth there. Flanking? Terrain? That's strategic child's play.

oninowon

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

Oninowon, this game is called Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan. I am perfectly entitled to expect it to be more like a Nobunaga game. Especially since I have the Japanese box, and there it is with a name mocking me, pretending it's a real strategy game.

And no, this, FFTA, Fire Emblem, none of these are strategy games. These are tactics games. They're strategy games that have had lobotomies. Nobunaga's Ambition is a strategy game. It requires tactical intelligence of a kind more like a PC game like Civilization, and so it exists on an entirely different plane.

It was dumb to try and pull Nobunaga's Ambition into this game. Really, really dumb. It let me expect something - and get really excited for it, since I am a big fan of Nobunaga's Ambition - and then was crushingly disappointing. There's no real depth there. Flanking? Terrain? That's strategic child's play.

OK, I can see how the Japanese title could have been deceiving. I also agree that Nobunaga's Ambition and console srpgs are really 2 separate genre. I've played some form of Nobunaga game back on my Mac LC and understand that it is straight up wargame whereas strategy rpgs are more a mixture of grid based combat plus rpg elements. So I can see for people like you who wanted a level of wargame as deep as Nobunaga's Ambition would be somewhat disappointed that it is not the straight up wargame like NA.

At the same time though, I would think the words Pokemon and strategy rpg would have given you a clue that it would not be the NA like game you were expecting. For me, I expected that instead of fielding different types of units such as cavelry, riflemen, and other types of units, PC would replace them with more traditional srpg of unique Samurai personalities and their Pokemon. In NA, you are fielding a general and several units consisting of hundreds of men. In PA, you are only fielding 6 Samurai and their Pokemon. While I agree with you that in general srpgs are tactical and not really strategy oriented, I think Pokemon Conquest is one of the few exceptions. Like NA, you are conquering provinces and your work isn't done with that province after taking over. You have to hold onto it which means keeping a force in there to protect it. Also, since certain provinces give you a better defensive position or a better staging area, you have to think strategy-wise which territory will be of more important to conquering now as opposed to later. Also, like NA, you have the option of improving certain areas within that province such as greater gold output. Also, later in the game, like NA, while you are training your forces, the enemy is training theirs so there will be this back and forth in obtaining and losing provinces.

Anyway, when I read the first impressions of the game, I came to realize that it would be more Nobunaga game fitting in Pokemon styke gaming as opposed to Pokemon fitting in the Nobunaga family of games.

oninowon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.