Forums

Topic: Nintendo DS Books

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

R-L-A-George

@theblackdragon Sadly all the good book stores where I live met a death, there is Hastings but its nothing more than a pop culture store with Twilight and Harry Potter on display. Although they do have a pretty good cheap manga.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

Bankai

R-L-A-George wrote:

Awesome, I'll definitly get it.

Shakespeare is hard to find in book form and picking up the manga form of the stories makes me feel a little illiterate.

Wait, what?

In Australia, literally any book shop you walk into will have a million Shakespeares from various authors in the "classic literature" section

R-L-A-George

WaltzElf wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Shakespeare is hard to find in book form and picking up the manga form of the stories makes me feel a little illiterate.

Wait, what?

In Australia, literally any book shop you walk into will have a million Shakespeares from various authors in the "classic literature" section

I also forgot to mention, the local public library where I live doesn't even have any, I can probably find some in Tulsa but I can't always go there, America is sad. You can only find the books on the internet, but I don't have a card.

R-L-A-George

Bankai

R-L-A-George wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Wait, what?

I also forgot to mention, the local public library where I live doesn't even have any, I can probably find some in Tulsa but I can't always go there, America is sad. You can only find the books on the internet, but I don't have a card.

That's pretty terrible.

theblackdragon

there is no way a public library wouldn't have books on Shakespeare (unless they're already checked out). seriously.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

James

WaltzElf wrote:

I'm confused by this statement, unless we're getting into the "was Shakespeare really just one man?" argument and I don't think anybody wants to read that.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

RowdyRodimus

Prosody wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

I'm confused by this statement, unless we're getting into the "was Shakespeare really just one man?" argument and I don't think anybody wants to read that.

Probably the editor of the collection or the person who wrote the forward to the collection. It's like the annotated Sherlock Holmes books, you can find fifty different versions listed by the editor instead of Doyle.

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

RowdyRodimus

R-L-A-George wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Wait, what?

I live a state over from you in AR and you can get Shakespeare in every bookstore or library around so I don't know if I'd say America is sad or if you just haven't looked in the right sections.

Edited on by RowdyRodimus

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

the_shpydar

Honestly, there's something seriously wrong if a public library doesn't have at least one copy of every Shakespeare work. That being said, it would sadly not totally surprise me, given the horrible funding (or lack thereof, to be more correct) for many libraries across the country.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

R-L-A-George

the+shpydar wrote:

Honestly, there's something seriously wrong if a public library doesn't have at least one copy of every Shakespeare work. That being said, it would sadly not totally surprise me, given the horrible funding (or lack thereof, to be more correct) for many libraries across the country.

Yeah they are limited, I've been friends with 2 librarians in the same position. They would tell me that, the allowance is used up. If I had the money, I would donate a ton....Also my library has a internet system that you can't always find what you want/need all the time and I don't care much for barrowing a book from another district(yes you can actually do that in OK)....Atleast my library has gotten better since I've started going to it.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George

RowdyRodimus wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

R-L-A-George wrote:

Wait, what?

I live a state over from you in AR and you can get Shakespeare in every bookstore or library around so I don't know if I'd say America is sad or if you just haven't looked in the right sections.

Yeah I have, I tried to find Hamlet one time and all I can find is this beautiful, I'm guessing 60 year old, tiny hardback book that was falling apart. All it was, is some kind of casting instruction book?

R-L-A-George

cheapogamer4life

Maybe when I get this title Tuesday and hopefully a lot of americans do as well. We can trick Nintendo into thinking that we are reading now.
But none of the Flips books in the DSiware shop have made the top 20 list here so that may not be enough.

3DS Friend Code: 4339-2558-1701
http://passid.ca/N4Life
PSN id: cheapO4life
Xbox gamertag: cheapogamer

Merilee

cheapogamer4life wrote:

So on their website for the title it says that they have a extra 10 books available to DL to your Nintendo DS system at no charge for anytime use. Does anybody know how how it takes to DL one of this books?

Hi! It doesn't take long at all to download the 10 books...maybe 10 minutes total. The only thing is that you have to download each book separately. The books are about 35 to 250 kb each in size. The books are stored on the game cartridge NOT on the SD card (which is what I had read somewhere) and you have something like around 985 kb of storage for additional books. However, by the time you download the 10 additional books, there isn't much room left for any more books. The instruction manual says you can delete books so that you can make room for more books...so...hopefully, this means more books will be available inthe future!!

Merilee

Merilee

This thread doesn't really seem to be a first impressions thread, but I was hesitant to create a new thread on the same topic...so here are my first impressions of this title!!

The interface for this title is (I think) pretty outstanding! You have options for background music, sounds which include choices such as Classical, Easy Listening, Ocean, Forest, etc. ("NONE" is also an option). You can choose small or large font. My eyes are NOT the greatest and on my XL the small font is readable. You can search for books by scrolling through the spines (and it's just like looking at books on a bookshelf) or there's a search function where you can sort the books in groups by Author, Title, Genre, etc. There's even a nifty little feature to help you decide which book to read if you just can't make up your mind. You can turn pages using the stylus OR using the buttons and there are even options that you can choose for mapping which button performs "next page" or "previous page". You even can choose whether you want to hold the unit with the controls/touch pad on the right or on the left (hurray...since I am a lefty!!!).

I started reading the Count of Monte Cristo last night in bed and found it very enjoyable. My only complaint is that you can only bookmark one book at a time! So, if you are a person who likes to read a couple of different books at the same time, you're out of luck if you are planning on the system to keep your place for you!! This is such a shame, and I just can't imagine why they would have programmed it in this way....otherwise, the app is top notch!

I'm looking forward to additional titles available online!!

Have Fun Reading!!
Merilee

Merilee

Victoria

Merilee - There was a thread about people's impressions of this quite a while back because it's been out in the UK for a long time. But it's always nice to read that someone else is enjoying it.
As for what you said about being able to only mark one book at a time, it bugs me too, but I'm not so sure that it's true. I might be wrong but, I've noticed that if you start reading a book and then quit to read something else, if you go back into that original book again it will ask you if you want to continue reading from the last bookmarked page. I should do some experimenting and see if that's the case.

I've been curious to know what people are currently reading on it, or what books they'd recommend? Right now I'm reading Little Lord Fauntleroy. I read it on the DS last summer, and enjoyed it so much I'm reading it again. It's not a book I ever would have picked up and read had it not been in the collection.

My Art Academy artwork can be viewed here: My Gallery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.