DSi / DS Forum

Topic: Gamers love hate relationship with Pokemon Black and White 2

Showing 1 to 20 of 20

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

1. Posted:

Pokémon Black and White 2 was the first true sequel to a Pokémon game. Many fans either loved or hated Black and White, and the sequels had high hopes. When it launched, the game got decent to average reviews by critics. Fans either loved or hated this one as well (but instead of their being a middle ground, their was usually one extreme or another). Do you love or hate this Pokémon title?

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

2. Posted:

Seriously, I had probably 65% of the Pokedex in White. But in White 2, I haven't made it past the desert city where Skyla takes you. It seemed to bare an extremely strong resemblance to the original (much too similar for how much the game hyped up the differences) and the story wasn't even as good as the original Black/White. The legendary situation was just nuts, and the new features like the movie place were a lot less fun as they boasted they would be. Despite the game having such a diverse Pokémon ecosystem in the region, it introduced almost no new Pokémon. The storyline was supposed to be the biggest attraction to this game, but it was in some ways worse than the original Black and White storyline. The whole game felt like DLC to the original, but since they couldn't make DLC that big for the DS, they threw together some features and called it a game. My sister and I thought it was disappointing and it is my personal weakest mainline Pokémon game.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mamp

3. Posted:

Hated it only because it was the first true sequel to a pokemon game and they f***ed it up. I felt like they just did more of the same, I figured since it was a sequel it would do more to differentiate itself from other pokemon games but it didn't. Also considering how Black and White made some really interesting characters with interesting stories, the story department in black and white 2 was lacking and N who some considered interesting in the first game was just not as interesting in this game.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

4. Posted:

mamp wrote:

Hated it only because it was the first true sequel to a pokemon game and they f***ed it up. I felt like they just did more of the same, I figured since it was a sequel it would do more to differentiate itself from other pokemon games but it didn't. Also considering how Black and White made some really interesting characters with interesting stories, the story department in black and white 2 was lacking and N who some considered interesting in the first game was just not as interesting in this game.

It was just as if the world advanced 2 years in real life. NOT MUCH WOULD HAPPEN! The characters didn't change that much, and it was a snooze fest most of the time. They only added like 2 legendary Pokémon and that was all! No new starters or anything! For a sequel made for storytelling purposes, it should have been better.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MixMasterMudkip

5. Posted:

I agree. Personally, I loved Black and White, but Black and White is in my opinion is almost the worst entry in the series. Only beaten by Diamond and Pearl. Which I think is the best way to explain. Diamond and Pearl were rough games to say the lest. They just didn't hold up to me, granted Platinum fixed them. I think Platinum was needed. Moving to Black and White I loved them to an extant, and I thought they pushed the boundaries and veered in their own direction ultimately becoming the most unique entry in the series. After it, Gray wouldn't have been necessary, so B/W2 was a smart and logical decision. A squeal could have made itself better and pushed this new direction forward. Did Black and White 2 do this??? NO, and here comes a rant I've needed to get out of me for over a year...

Black and White 2 showed promise to be something great, and the first part of the game was amazing. It felt like a new region, but once you got to Castelia City things began to go wrong. First off the game practically repeated itself and made you do the same thing you had to do in Castelia you had to do in the original. Except you had to go through a sewer which was practically a cave. Which leads to one of my biggest issues. Most of the new areas after Castelia were caves. The most bland and annoying area within the entire franchise. Every single time you'd have to go through another cave. It was awful. It was like I was exploring Unova in Black and White, but I had an extra cave to go through every time. By that point I might as well replay B/W. Which I'd rather do considering how bad B/W2's story was. They ruined every single thing that made Team Plasma interesting. They were so bland and boring in B/W2. Not to mention the whole hype of Unova freezing over was hardly prominent, and It was just pointless to even be a part of the game. Now finally the game did add lot's of Pokemon from previous gens, but the issue is that there is a ROM hack that adds Pokemon to B/W from previous gens. So you can just play that, and not have to deal with B/W2's nonsense. I'll give it this it tried to be new, and the PWT was extremely cool. B/W just was stronger in every aspect except for post game content, but that value is lost since now you'd just play X/Y, and you'd only play 5th gen really for the story anyway. The fact of the matter is that it is still a very good game. Just not one I'd every want to replay ever again for those reasons.

Edited on by MixMasterMudkip

Friend Code: 5241-2232-9791
Friend Safari is Fire with: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixan
Mario Kart 8 Tournament: "Rosalina's Booty Cup" Code: 5852-0678-9577

Nintendo Network ID: MixMasterMudkip | Twitter: MixMasterMudkip

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

6. Posted:

MixMasterMudkip wrote:

I agree. Personally, I loved Black and White, but Black and White is in my opinion is almost the worst entry in the series. Only beaten by Diamond and Pearl. Which I think is the best way to explain. Diamond and Pearl were rough games to say the lest. They just didn't hold up to me, granted Platinum fixed them. I think Platinum was needed. Moving to Black and White I loved them to an extant, and I thought they pushed the boundaries and veered in their own direction ultimately becoming the most unique entry in the series. After it, Gray wouldn't have been necessary, so B/W2 was a smart and logical decision. A squeal could have made itself better and pushed this new direction forward. Did Black and White 2 do this??? NO, and here comes a rant I've needed to get out of me for over a year...

Black and White 2 showed promise to be something great, and the first part of the game was amazing. It felt like a new region, but once you got to Castelia City things began to go wrong. First off the game practically repeated itself and made you do the same thing you had to do in Castelia you had to do in the original. Except you had to go through a sewer which was practically a cave. Which leads to one of my biggest issues. Most of the new areas after Castelia were caves. The most bland and annoying area within the entire franchise. Every single time you'd have to go through another cave. It was awful. It was like I was exploring Unova in Black and White, but I had an extra cave to go through every time. By that point I might as well replay B/W. Which I'd rather do considering how bad B/W2's story was. They ruined every single thing that made Team Plasma interesting. They were so bland and boring in B/W2. Not to mention the whole hype of Unova freezing over was hardly prominent, and It was just pointless to even be a part of the game. Now finally the game did add lot's of Pokemon from previous gens, but the issue is that there is a ROM hack that adds Pokemon to B/W from previous gens. So you can just play that, and not have to deal with B/W2's nonsense. I'll give it this it tried to be new, and the PWT was extremely cool. B/W just was stronger in every aspect except for post game content, but that value is lost since now you'd just play X/Y, and you'd only play 5th gen really for the story anyway. The fact of the matter is that it is still a very good game. Just not one I'd every want to replay ever again for those reasons.

I had this rant built up inside of me too.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

7. Posted:

I felt that Unova, although it wasn't the most diverse region, was one of the biggest with tons of areas to explore. New Unova was basically the same size, which was a big disappointment. I had loads of hype built up for this game. Stuff like Unova freezing, the return of iconic characters like N, and new Pokémon were what I was hoping for. But the characters were poorly portrayed with characters like Chren being as 1 dimensional as paper. The online was a minor upgrade with the mall and film studio being filler to substitute for more content that was clearly missing. Practically no new Pokémon were created for the game, and you were thrown into "new" areas that were just re-skinned (like the sewer instead of a cave).

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

8. Posted:

The few good things this game did were:
.Making some cool looking legendary Pokémon
.Adding some stepping stones in more advanced online for X and Y to build on
'Putting a diverse Pokémon ecosystem in Unova
.Giving us closure on at least a few characters we loved.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NavySpheal

9. Posted:

I quite liked BW2, actually. It's probably close to the bottom of my favorite Pokemon games list mind you, but I don't think it's terrible. It did feel almost exactly the same as the prequels, however. All I know is, BW2 had some amazing battle themes.

3DS FC: 4596-9744-5868
Buffalo wings are a gift from the gods themselves.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

torotoid64

10. Posted:

Second best Pokemon games since heart gold and soul silver, best story, it shuted up a lot of 5th gen haters, and had some of the best best available Pokemon ever (a Riolu early game?! ) IMO it helped blow 4th grn out of the water only games that can top it are X and Y

torotoid64

Twitter: Mattchuspie

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

11. Posted:

I think they are the best Pokemon games on the DS.

Absolutely loved every bit playing those.

BW1 on the other hand, were pretty meh.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

torotoid64

12. Posted:

Sure it didn't have TONS of changes to Unova and it's story didn't have the best character progression, but it's story did built on Black and White in a good way versus some other game sequels where you're literally stuck in the same place as you was in the beginning of the original! Stares at Final Fantasy 13-2 but the places where the game did shine in it really shined and plus all dat fan service given out in this game made it feel like a Pokemon love letter from gamefreak

torotoid64

Twitter: Mattchuspie

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Banker-Style

13. Posted:

I have Black 2 but I've never ever played it, still on my shelf unopened.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mookysam

14. Posted:

Black/White are excellent - one of the best in the series, I think.

I don't hate Black/White 2, but the story was particularly weak compared to the first game and I was sick of hearing about the Purrloin.

mookysam

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nickvp95

15. Posted:

I just couldn't get into Black 2. I played it while I was fizzling out of a Pokemon kick and i never finished it. Something about just didn't capture me like others did

Shovel Knight Review
Fire Emblem: Awakening Review
Mario Kart 8 Review
Games: Steamworld Dig (3DS) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) DKC: Tropical Freeze (WiiU) Shovel Knight (3DS)

Nintendo Network ID: Nickvp95

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo_Ninja

16. Posted:

mookysam wrote:

Black/White are excellent - one of the best in the series, I think.

I don't hate Black/White 2, but the story was particularly weak compared to the first game and I was sick of hearing about the Purrloin.

Don't remind me! PURRLION THIS, PURRLION THTA, I HATE TEAM PLASMA BECAUSE THEY HURT PURRLION! We can tell, bro! Don't have to say it in every meeting with Team Plasma.

Nintendo ID Network: Ninja84
I play World of Tanks: Ninja840

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

17. Posted:

BW1 was a step down in pretty much every area except storyline. BW2 was basically the exact opposite, it improved over BW1 in every area, the Pokedex got a much needed expansion, the region design was still crap but slightly less crap than BW1 (Game Freak really needs to stop making linear regions), and they added a bunch of neat things like the Habitat List, Pokestar Studios, and the PWT. However, the storyline got worse, as novel as the idea of a sequel was, the storyline was really light and predictable so it didn't quite have the same impact that BW1 had.

Aside from that, I think the game could've used more polishing, because you can tell from the game's pacing that they did little more than change the storyline path and leave everything as is. This might not seem like a big deal, but it led to some pretty horrible consequences such as having the Day Care post game and a lot of the past gen Pokemon added to the Unova Dex were absurdly late in the game. It's especially grating for team design when so many of your options aren't there when you need them.

So yeah, good game, novel idea, but it could've been better.

EDIT: @MixMasterMudkip Thanks for reminding me about this. I'm not quite bothered by the storyline path quite as much as you, but I do think the entire middle of the game was far too similar. Same path through the region, same gym leaders with only minor edits to their teams, only a handful of new Pokemon and new areas. By far the least interesting part of the game and could've used a lot more changes. I mean, changes in storyline path are good when they change up the way you explore the region. Like if you fought Skyla as the first gym leader, or if Burgh were later in the game and could use stronger Bugs (which IMO is a huge injustice because 5th gen brought a lot of great Bug types). Having the entire middle of the game follow the same ordering was boring, and that was half of the gym leaders. At least the rest of the game felt fresh though, even if you were revisiting older areas, you traveled through them in a different order. I liked that they took some of the post game sections from BW1, for instance, and made them late game areas and had you travel up to Opelucid that way instead of through Twist Mountain like usual, that was an interesting change (it was also a pace breaking one because of how far you had to travel, and I would've liked them to put an extra gym in that section maybe in Lacunosa Town).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Fabaroo

18. Posted:

I actually really liked White 2. The PWT was infinitely more interesting than the Battle Subway, which they still left in if for some reason one preferred that.
I thought Colress was a really interesting character. And overall, I think everything was made much more user friendly, especially if you battle competitively. I absolutely loved Join Avenue, the ability to get more than one Master Ball without lottery, move tutors, the ability to get N's Pokemon (always with 30 IV in every stat), Hidden Grottoes, Dream Radar, White Treehollow (great for easy levelling), and so many gift/legendary pokemon.

Fabaroo

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7842-9783 | Nintendo Network ID: Fabian94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

19. Posted:

i love BW2 cause it changed up the game with out going to a new region plus we finally got to see kyurem in action(One of my favorite legendaries)

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

I Love Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

20. Posted:

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

i love BW2 cause it changed up the game with out going to a new region plus we finally got to see kyurem in action(One of my favorite legendaries)

We would've seen Kyurem in action regardless.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike