Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy Remakes?

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

MmBuddha

I've recently been playing Final Fantasy VI on my DS via the GBA slot. It's an amazing game, honestly one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and it's made me wonder about others in the series pre-FFVII. Both Final Fantasy III & IV are both out on GBA in their original form, but there's also the 3D remakes. Has anyone on here played both the original AND the remake versions? If so please give me your opinions: Should I stick with the original - the way it was played back in the day, or go with the graphically superior 3D DS remakes?

"I had to take the young general, I couldn't turn out the holy man, I couldn't stop the wind from blowing and the air from being as clear as crystal; and I couldn't hide the mountain."

Starkiller

I've only played a little of the FFIV GBA remake, but I've played quite a bit of the DS one. The word is it's harder than the 2D versions, but I can't say.
Graphics-wise, it's your choice. You can play with crystal clear sprites, or decent-looking 3D. It all boils down to taste.

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

theblackdragon

actually, FFIII is not available on the GBA -- it was never released outside Japan before the DS remake.

as for FFIV, i have to say that i liked the remake, 3D graphics or not, because of the Augment system. i specifically did not play FFIV for GBA because i was waiting for the DS remake, so i can't say anything about it in particular, but the ease of customizing your battle options really made the game for me. it's up to you whether you'd rather go for the original on VC (which certainly deserves a playthrough if you've never played it before) or the DS version, though.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Digiki

I much prefer FFIV Advance to the DS version.

Charming 2D > Passable 3D
Being 2D is also beneficial as attack animations are shorter, so battles are quicker paced. 3D battles are fairly slow.
The DS version is somewhat harder, but that isn't good, as the game goes from being not grindy to grindy, the slower pace doesn't help things either.
The Advance bonus content is also much better.

The only fault with the Advance version is that it has a few minor glitches, rendering some commands less worthwhile, and sometimes granting your characters an extra turn. Nothing game breaking like freezes though, and the EU version fixed the glitches.

the_shpydar

I agree with Digiki. I love FFIV, but the DS version seemed to me to be missing some of the "charm" that the 2D version has/had. But that's probably just my own bias. And to be fair, i didn't end up playing through all of FFIV for the DS, as i started playing it shortly before i bought Dragon Quest V, and for me, it's always DQ > FF.

I was actually thinking of getting back to IV in the DS (or probably just start fresh) if/when i pick up an XL (i keep hoping i'll find some deal or something ... plus, the 3DS "announcement" kinda de-motivated me from getting it already).

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Old_School

I enjoyed FF3 in the fact that I never had played it before and on FF4, I really enjoyed the original script and score. This made more sense than the first time I played it, you know, in the early 1990's on the SNES. To anyone who will complain about any 16 bit game and never played the original on the NES or SNES, shut up!

Vegeta: Just...just...transform damn you...
Bulma: We are going to have a penthouse sweet...and he'll drive a corvet...and we will make love every single...
Zarbon: (transforms)
Bulma: KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Adamant

I've played both the original and remake of FF3. I... really can't make up my mind which one I prefer, they're both good in different ways. The DS version gives some proper balance to certain classes, making the relatively worthless ones useful and the overly powerful ones more on par with the others. It also reduces the amount of monsters in random encounters, generally making them less potentially threatening, but it also makes monsters and particularly bosses harder, so it doesn't really affect the overall challenge level THAT much.

They're different. Either one is fine. The DS version should be far more accessible unless you know Japanese, too.

Haven't played FF4DS, but it has Vegeta in it, so it can't be that bad

Edited on by Adamant

Adamant

Bassman_Q

I stopped playing FF4 because it got too hard for my tastes. The graphics are excellent, but the difficulty just killed the experience for me. FF6 is loads better, and much more quick-paced during battle, which I like.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.