Forums

Topic: DSiWare Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,774

Retro_on_theGo

Oh,sorry about that. Well then I would recommend Game&watch Donkey kong jr. or Mario cement factory. Both nice little minigames to pass a few minutes,but can get addicting and last you an hour. Another good 200 point game I enjoyed Was Pop Island: paperfield. It has DS download play so it's fun to play with friends and alone.

KnucklesSonic8

I second Pop Island. Glory Days is good too.

KnucklesSonic8

Bassman_Q

The April lineup is looking good. Captain Sub and Airport Mania seem pretty interesting, and that animation studio seems like a premium version of Flipnote. I'm glad Nintendo's still releasing quality games even after the 3DS' release.

@rayword45- D-Tank, Escapee GO, and Glory Days are all excellent 200 pointers. Haven't tried Pop Island Paperfield, but I've been hearing nothing but positive comments about it.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

slidecage

if anyone Downloads ART OF INK let us all know ... tempted to buy it but the 800 pt is putting me off... Maybe sunday

slidecage

jdarrell

(Disclaimer: This game isn't really my type and I only played a bit passed halfway through one of the careers)

I would be skeptical of Art of Ink. It was kind of fun at first, and I liked the presentation for the most part, but the basics that made it fun at first quickly become very limited. I believe you have to hold L or R while drawing to do everything except erase, so your L-button can't be broken and it gets in the way of how you want to hold the DSi while drawing, and also caused my view of the small DSi screen to be blocked by the stylus a bit more. Once I unlocked larger pens, more tattoos, and colours, I just felt playing the game wasn't a good use of my time. Overall, I would recommend one of Sabarasa's other games, or Inchworm instead (if the camera works as good as in the Youtube trailer).

For a brief description of gameplay: There's two modes, tattooing and conversation. Tattooing is the same as in freeplay mode, but you have to unlock a lot of stuff in career mode I believe. Career mode has the second conversation parts. Unfortunately, even if you use the skip option the text is still tediously slow to display and you have to repeat half of it to see everything. I'm assuming the text for each of the three careers is the same, but if you do like the game it should be enough along with the achievements --the stats and achievements are good and stay out of the way of the actual game if you don't like them-- to get a lot of replay out of the game. One unique thing worth mentioning is the eraser only erases what you drew outside the lines (errors), and drawing outside the lines only seems to have a minor negative effect on your score. So if you do like the game it's a fun way to get a lot of practice drawing with speed while being rewarded with nice results.

So basically it's a game where you draw/trace tattoos. In freeplay mode you can practice drawing and in career mode you progress the conversations. There's also an upgradeable shop that adds some fun, but it's really only mindless mini upgrades and nothing amazing to write about except to do a better job of showcasing the game presentation.

I'd assume you can get a good idea of what the game is like from the screenshots, and what the goal of the game is from the trailer: http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/games/dsiware/art_of_ink/scre...

Edited on by jdarrell

jdarrell

rolLTheDice

rayword45 wrote:

Any good 200 pointers? I need 2 more. Right now I'm thinking

Primrose
Army Defender
Electroplankton Beatnes

Primrose and Army Defender are nice 200 pointers. Though you don't get anything for beating your own high scores. So they are kind of comparable to the Game & Watch games in that department.
I haven't played Electroplancton Beatnes yet.
Aura Aura Climber is the best 200 points game i've played so far and though these two games can't compete with it they're still nice games to play for some 30 minutes in between.

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

slidecage

jdarrell wrote:

(Disclaimer: This game isn't really my type and I only played a bit passed halfway through one of the careers)

I would be skeptical of Art of Ink. It was kind of fun at first, and I liked the presentation for the most part, but the basics that made it fun at first quickly become very limited. I believe you have to hold L or R while drawing to do everything except erase, so your L-button can't be broken and it gets in the way of how you want to hold the DSi while drawing, and also caused my view of the small DSi screen to be blocked by the stylus a bit more. Once I unlocked larger pens, more tattoos, and colours, I just felt playing the game wasn't a good use of my time. Overall, I would recommend one of Sabarasa's other games, or Inchworm instead (if the camera works as good as in the Youtube trailer).

For a brief description of gameplay: There's two modes, tattooing and conversation. Tattooing is the same as in freeplay mode, but you have to unlock a lot of stuff in career mode I believe. Career mode has the second conversation parts. Unfortunately, even if you use the skip option the text is still tediously slow to display and you have to repeat half of it to see everything. I'm assuming the text for each of the three careers is the same, but if you do like the game it should be enough along with the achievements --the stats and achievements are good and stay out of the way of the actual game if you don't like them-- to get a lot of replay out of the game. One unique thing worth mentioning is the eraser only erases what you drew outside the lines, and drawing outside the lines only seems to have a minor negative effect on your score. So if you do like the game it's a fun way to get a lot of practice drawing with speed while being rewarded with nice results.

So basically it's a game where you draw/trace tattoos. In freeplay mode you can practice drawing and in career mode you progress the conversations. There's also an upgradeable shop that adds some fun, but it's really only mindless mini upgrades and nothing amazing to write about except to do a better job of showcasing the game presentation.

I'd assume you can get a good idea of what the game is like from the screenshots, and what the goal of the game is from the trailer: http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/games/dsiware/art_of_ink/scre...

Thanks i think you saved me 800 pts.... on the fence now until more reviews.....almost went down tonight to get it

slidecage

Birdman

Well, with the end of DSiWare almost upon us and Nintendo Points probably not making the transition to DSiWare, I'm left with 200 points and 3 different 200 point games left to decide between: Anonymous Notes Chapter 1 - From the Abyss, G.G Series D-Tank, and Paul's Shooting Adventure. Which one should I get? Keep in mind that my shoulder buttons are broken on my DSi, so that'll factor in as well.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

KnucklesSonic8

From what I remember, you need the shoulder buttons for D-Tank. Hopefully someone else can confirm that, though.

KnucklesSonic8

Bassman_Q

KnucklesSonic8 wrote:

From what I remember, you need the shoulder buttons for D-Tank. Hopefully someone else can confirm that, though.

Indeed, you do need them for D-Tank. @Birdman13 this is the game I would wholeheartedly recommend to you if your shoulder buttons were working properly. Unfortunately, without them you can't play the game properly, so I'd recommend something different... Captain Sub is pretty good, if you're into a Metroid-y / arcade-y experience. Ananymous Notes is pretty meh quality imo.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

Portista

I think the best 800 point game to get is Plants vs. Zombies. It has 50 levels, and 20 minigames. It'll keep you occupied for probably a month or longer. I would rate it 9/10.

Monster Hunter for the win!!!!! Check out my music album at https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fifteen-ep/id589290511

slidecage

ubongo is a fun game..showed how hooked i got on this once you learn how to play it ... played it about 2 hours last night.. got up to the 3rd stone (out of 7)

not sure yet on how high the replay is

slidecage

LucinaSmash

I never own a DSi, which means that I never experience DSiWare games. For the upcoming eShop on my 3DS, what will be a good DSiWare game for the very first time that defines DSiWare?

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

Squashie

I totally recommend Glory Days Tactical Defence, for 200 points this game has a lot to offer.

Squashie, Video Games Journalist,
Nintendo Feed - Everything Nintendo, all in one place...

3DS Friend Code: 0345-0525-1420 | Nintendo Network ID: Squashie | Twitter:

Birdman

@OtherL - At least personally, I don't believe there is any one single game on DSiWare that can define the entire system, but if I had to choose one to define it, it'd probably have to be either X-Scape or Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Both of those games I think can best define what DSiWare's all about: Providing another way for unique and excellent games that would be considered too big of a gamble to release as a full cart to be released. Keep in mind that those two are just the tip of the iceberg for what DSiWare has. Other games I'd easily reccomend to check out before 3DS(Ware) releases pick up are Aura-Aura Climber, A Kappa's Trail, Cave Story, Dark Void Zero, Digger Dan & Kaboom, Number Battle, Starship Defense and Trajectile.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

slidecage

ubongo is a fun game... VERY Easy for the first 5 gems and then you just want to throw your system across the room when you get to the 6th gem... you have to make 4 pieces fit into the shape. was easy when it was 2 and 3 pieces.. 4 pieces are just driving me crazy

its about a 6 hour game i think (i played it for 5 hours and still stuck on the 6th level)

slidecage

KnucklesSonic8

Trajectile, Starship Defense and Pop Island all come to mind as great choices.

KnucklesSonic8

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic