Forums

Topic: DSiWare Recommendations Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,774

Bankai

irken004 wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

I know there's a few people here who really love Precipice. I don't have it myself, though, not yet :3

It's good, imo, but Pictobits blows it out of the competition.

I couldnt' disagree more. Other than Intersect, Pictobits is the weakest of the Art Style games across both DSi and WiiWare, imo. It's still a good game, but it's needlessly difficult - the limited screen space means you have very little room to work with - imagine tetris, but only half a "tube" - so with little advance projection you need to deal with, sometimes, some very complex shapes.

That and you need to be a retro Nintendo fan to properly appreciate the music and graphical aesthetics. I'm not, so much, so much of the game's charm is lost on me. The futuristic vibe of precipice, or the psychodelic colours or rotohex, or the watery chill vibe or aquite are far more appealing to me.

So be warned - like all art style games, pictopict isn't for everyone.

Bassman_Q

@WaltzElf- I couldn't agree with you more. I started to hate PictoBits because it got SOO unnecisarily hard.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

Bobpie

You do have to start doing things unlogically and annoyingly, but it's not terrible in my view.

The Pie O' Bob be watching you...

Bankai

Bobpie wrote:

You do have to start doing things unlogically and annoyingly, but it's not terrible in my view.

Yes, I don't think any of the Art Style games are terrible, and I think they are so subjective that anyone's list of favourites will be different.

It's almost at the bottom of my list, but other people put it at #1 - it really depends what kind of game you're looking for when buying art style games.

Percentful

I never really thought castle of magic looked that good.Is it an ok game?

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Eel

guitar rock tour can use the +pad & the xyba buttons to play the drums instead of the shoulder buttons.
And its not THAT bad as waltz is making it to look, it's actually quite decent.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bankai

110percentful wrote:

I never really thought castle of magic looked that good.Is it an ok game?

Not really. It plays ok, but is still a cheap game, clearly produced for mobile phones or low-cost downloads (like everything Gameloft, really). Rayman's the better-quality platformer on the DSiWare, and Photo Face stealer (whatever it's called) is better for the younguns.

Birdman

I need an opinion on something. I only have 800 points left, and I want to know if Touch Solitaire is worth it. I have a version of Klondike Solitaire on my click-wheel iPod, so do you think I should get it if I have the iPod version? I'm not looking to get anything that's already out (Next week will be tough, between Dark Void Zero and Starship Defense), so I just need an opinion on this.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Bankai

Birdman13 wrote:

I need an opinion on something. I only have 800 points left, and I want to know if Touch Solitaire is worth it. I have a version of Klondike Solitaire on my click-wheel iPod, so do you think I should get it if I have the iPod version? I'm not looking to get anything that's already out (Next week will be tough, between Dark Void Zero and Starship Defense), so I just need an opinion on this.

Not really. Touch Solitare is Solitare - no more, no less, and assuming you carry your iPod with you, you've already got ready access to it.

Or, perhaps, you might be a massive fan of Spider solitare, and then it's probably worth it.

Bankai

abgar wrote:

guitar rock tour can use the +pad & the xyba buttons to play the drums instead of the shoulder buttons.

It's decent if you've never played a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game before, and you're still stuck in an era where midi music is acceptable for a music-based game.

If this game was released 15 years ago, it would be awesome. But then we discovered what is generally known as an .mp3, and there is no excuse for a music game (you know, with music being the most important thing in the game), to have horrible music.

Eel

WaltzElf wrote:

abgar wrote:

It's decent if you've never played a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game before, and you're still stuck in an era where midi music is acceptable for a music-based game.

If this game was released 15 years ago, it would be awesome. But then we discovered what is generally known as an .mp3, and there is no excuse for a music game (you know, with music being the most important thing in the game), to have horrible music.

I am actually very fond of midi music, and i never said it was a precious jewel of a engine, i said it was decent (and actually a good time waster). Being a download with 15 songs, id rather have 15 "archaic" decent midi songs for 500 points (its not like they couldnt have added some more songs, being midi) than 5 crappy mp3 for 800 points just because they where to heavy to fit in the 500 category.
I have played these music games you mentioned before too and i can say this game will stay in my dsi menu, unlike some other high rated games.

its just a game~

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Bankai

abgar wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

abgar wrote:

I am actually very fond of midi music, and i never said it was a precious jewel of a engine, i said it was decent (and actually a good time waster). Being a download with 15 songs, id rather have 15 "archaic" decent midi songs for 500 points (its not like they couldnt have added some more songs, being midi) than 5 crappy mp3 for 800 points just because they where to heavy to fit in the 500 category.
I have played these music games you mentioned before too and i can say this game will stay in my dsi menu, unlike some other high rated games.

its just a game~

You do realise that you are in the minority when you say you like midi music? "It's decent" from a midi music fan doesn't help any if you're like me and can't stand midi music. Like all Gameloft's other games (except Uno, which is admittedly decent), I haven't touched it since I moved it to my SD card slot.

Now, between the two of us, the OP has an idea for the game. If he likes midi music, he'll like the game. If not, it's a wasted 500 points.

Edited on by Bankai

Armand

I'm interested in trajectile, Is it funny?

Armand

Bobpie

Funny? No......

It's a great game though, you get alot for your money.

The Pie O' Bob be watching you...

Eel

dont belive "funny" would suit trajectile, but i have heard its quite good.

... Touch solitaire goes so well with my card classics <3

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

_mikero_

I've got 2000 points to spend (already have the mario set of downloads). Which games do you think are must-haves?
I was thinking about getting MFC, and two art style games (any suggestions?).

_mikero_

Percentful

get pop island. It's a great game. An electroplankton [read my overview earlier on] pairs nicely with MFC, and maybe an art style.
So, pop island, MFC, electroplankton, and and art style. Sounds like a pretty good 2000 points!

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Eel

for 2000 points?

well you could try one of my theme sets!:

For an intellectual set:
myNotebook/a calculator if you dont have one- 200
Brain Age (any)- 800
Glow Artisan- 500 OR Art Academy (any semester)- 800
1 Art Style (any) / Sudoku (master, sensei or brain age) / Bookworm- 500 OR (if you bought art academy) Robot Rescue- 200

Or a saloon set:
Card Classics- 500
Touch Solitaire- 200
UNO- 800
The Royal Bluff / Bejewled Twist- 500

No? What about the Arcade set?
Pinball Pulse- 500
Pop Island- 500
Dragon's Lair- 800
Army Defender/Bird&Beans/Paper Airplane Chase- 200

No? well, i tried.
You could try mixing them too...