Forums

Topic: DSiWare Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,774

brandonbwii

This may sound a little funny, I'm looking for a shooting game for my 6 year old. It can be E-T rated. If it's a game I can enjoy too, all the better.

EDIT: By shooting, I mean any game that uses anything that resembles a gun of some sort like Foto Face even.

Edited on by brandonbwii

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

bboy2970

@Brandon: A shooter huh? I don't think there are too many on the service. That's not to say there isn't a couple options. If you are wanting an arcade shooting experience somewhat like Galaga, then Metal Torrent may be a good option. Its a bit bare-bones with just Normal and Hard mode but there is a little variety because you can opt for the enemies to be in patterns or random. Also, to give it legs, its got full online leaderboard support for all modes which is very nice. Its 500 points.

If you are more in the market for a Third-Person shooter then look no further than Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. The game has a great atmosphere and pretty good graphics for DSiWare. There are plenty of bosses and they are all rendered in full 3D. And here's the kicker, the game is actually a full cartridge release. Nothing has been cut from this downloadable version which is great. The game can also be quite a challenge, but not too much. It is 800 points.

If you're after more of a First-Person Sci-Fi shooter, then X-Scape is a great option. Its one of the more ambitious DSiWare games sporting a very sleek, yet minimalistic style. It is also quite a lengthy little adventure with alot of variety and side quests. Honestly, this game could likely stand as a DS retail game for what it packs. It is 800 points.

Those are the only DSiWare shooters I've played personally. Other items on the shop you might consider is Thorium Wars(1000 points) or one of the G.G. series games, I'm not quite sure of the title. Hope you find what you're looking for!

EDIT: Hmmmm...In response to you edit, I guess Cave Story could also be a good option. I personally don't think it's THAT great but it is certainly good and quite a long game. Its also a bit steep at 1000 points.

Edited on by bboy2970

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

KnucklesSonic8

Thorium Wars is great, and X-Scape is highly recommended.

KnucklesSonic8

Birdman

@bboy - Zombie BBQ for a 6 year old? While the gameplay is simple enough, the dialogue and character design show why the game got it's T-rating.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

bboy2970

Birdman13 wrote:

@bboy - Zombie BBQ for a 6 year old? While the gameplay is simple enough, the dialogue and character design show why the game got it's T-rating.

In this day and age I don't really think its a big deal. He did say that rated T was fine. I guess it really has to do with how strict of a parent we are talking. I don't personally think its bad. Its not like there's any blood or swearing involved. Just guns and Zombie's which given the current climate of the industry is perfectly normal.

KnucklesSonic8

Just because it's socially accepted doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate.

Edited on by KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8

bboy2970

KnucklesSonic8 wrote:

Just because it's socially accepted doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate.

Hey, I don't agree with where society has gone, I was just given the guy a suggestion based on his criteria. I would hope he would look a little deeper into any game that has been recommended to see if that game is truly the right for his situation.

brandonbwii

Thanks bboy for your recommendations. I did in fact consider Zombie BBQ when I looked up the shooter category on DSi Shop, but then I thought about how the kid gets nervous at the sight of zombies, even the ones in Plants vs. Zombies LOL. I don't necessarily keep my kid away from "bad" games though unless it's something extreme like Dead Space. He can even play/watch Red Dead if it's not Undead Nightmare. Pretty much everything is fair game if sexual themes are kept to a minimum and it doesn't involve zombies/demons/vampires etc.

Anyway I ended up buying him Defense Wars, Paul's Shooting Adventure, and Cosmo Fighters. I figured we could have a good time beating each other up in that title.

In case anyone was wondering about the 200pts. games I settled on they are:
myDiary
Go series: 10 Second Run
Extreme Hangman
Pop Island: Paperfield
Glory Days: Tactical Defense

Edited on by brandonbwii

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

JohnDoe123

I'm trying to decide between Digger Dan, Animal Color Cross and Tetris Party Live. Advice would be appreciated.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

SlyGuy29

EmpireIndustries wrote:

I'm trying to decide between Digger Dan, Animal Color Cross and Tetris Party Live. Advice would be appreciated.

Tetris Party Live is a good game. Don't know about the others.

"HEY DUDES, THANKS FOR RESCUING ME. LET'S GO FOR A BURGER.... HA! HA! HA! HA!" President Ronnie.

KnucklesSonic8

Animal Color Cross is decent. Would choose TP Live over it, though.

KnucklesSonic8

bboy2970

@EmpireIndustries: I would say my favorite game out of that group is Tetris Party Live. Its got a good amount of replay value on it because of the online. The only problem is that it doesn't have local multi-player for whatever reason. That's not to say Digger Dan isn't good. I actually quite liked it and it seems to have a pretty good set of legs on it with 100 levels in all. The art style and design is a little strange but its still a fun puzzle action game. As far as Color Cross goes, its....good. It just feels a little lazy. There isn't any music and it lacks a certain level of polish. Just a little rough around the edges. So if you really like Tetris and don't have any version on DS already, go with Tetris Party Live. If you could live w/o Tetris, Digger Dan is a great option. Only opt for Color Cross if you don't mind a game that is a little rough and you are desperate for Picross on the go. Really though, you should spring for both Tetris and Digger Dan as both deserve your time and are great games. Hope I helped

slidecage

can anyone recommend

505 Tangram

Fun game to pick up and play every so offen... Trying to do all of the puzzles without hints so it takes longer ...
did around 20 puzzles in around an hour.... if the pace keeps up... 25 hour game .

hit the states tomorrow and thinking about it

Edited on by slidecage

slidecage

TTGlider

I've been meaning to give a shout out to a game for a long time. It seems I haven't found the energy to write in detail about why the game thoroughly captures my attention, so just take my word for it: Metal Torrent rocks! OK, let me elaborate a little. Are you the type that likes to chase high scores? Do you have your WIFI setup so that you can track your progress on the leaderboard? Do you like quick bursts of action, learning patterns and exploding things? Metal Torrent rocks. It's a shooter made with the platform its on in mind. Meaning the length and 'high score' chasing is entirely deliberate and symbiotic with the DSi. The refinement like screen selection (I actually prefer the non default bottom screen) and button mapping (again I enjoy non defaults even more) and statistic tracking are clues of Nintendo's publishing. This is a REALLY nicely done title and woefully overlooked.

TTGlider

clvlndpunk

i'm looking for a game like bejeweled. We tried bejeweled twist and didn't like it, we'd just like something similar to the original version. Can't believe popcap hasn't released it! thanks everybody.

clvlndpunk

slidecage

clvlndpunk wrote:

i'm looking for a game like bejeweled. We tried bejeweled twist and didn't like it, we'd just like something similar to the original version. Can't believe popcap hasn't released it! thanks everybody.

stay AwAY from six spin... awful game .....

slidecage

xAlias

Shantae or Cave Story?

xAlias

Nintendo Network ID: xAlias

bboy2970

@labrat: I say Shantae for sure. Even though it is a tiny bit on the short side clocking in at about 6 hours, everything from the outstanding spritework to the smooth gameplay is just perfect. Plus, you probably won't find every treasure you're first time through giving you a reason to come back. That's not to say CS is bad, I just didn't enjoy it NEARLY as much as I did Shantae!

lOnE-WolF

What's worthwhile at 200 points? I have the full GG and GO series as released in NA to-date, Frenzic, Rytmk RE, etc. Was originally stuck between Majhong and Boom Boom Squaries, also looking at Airport Mania. I got plenty of classic puzzle games so I'm considering tossing Majhong. Any opinions as to whether Squaries or Airport's the better buy?

lOnE-WolF

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic