Forums

Topic: DSi update....Defeated :(

Posts 21 to 39 of 39

Black_Fenrir

this sucks... this means that no matter the update and how big it is hackers will get around it. ...not like I didn't already know that but this just makes it that more obvious.

Just a wolf with a lost soul...

Grumble

but i guess i don't get... unless you're a nintendo ceo or stockholder, how does this affect us? surely it just gives gamers more "options"??

Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 Fan of: Zelda, Mario, Pac-Man, Metroid, Capt Toad, the list goes on. Love all systems: GBA, GBA SE, NES, Gameboy, 3DS, N64, Super Nintendo, etc, Atari, etc.

LzWinky

The industry is still successful regardless of pirates, so they hopefully won't hurt it much

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

warioswoods

@ballistikboy

Of course it affects us; it isn't that hard to understand. More piracy means that games becomes significantly less profitable which means that there's far less incentive to put much development funding into them.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Grumble

Ok. Got it. That's what I was thinking, too. I'm totally AGAINST games being more expensive and less profitable to make so I'm with you guys! I don't believe in piracy, either, just curious...

Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 Fan of: Zelda, Mario, Pac-Man, Metroid, Capt Toad, the list goes on. Love all systems: GBA, GBA SE, NES, Gameboy, 3DS, N64, Super Nintendo, etc, Atari, etc.

theblackdragon

@MarkyVigoroth: I'm just surprised there were so many people who seem to have thought it would've taken longer, lol. This kind of thing is pretty normal IMO.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Grumble

True. How many times and how soon has the iphone sw version been broken? Like, yesterday...

B

Rensch

There's always someone who finds a way around it. It's similar to the mod-chips in home consoles.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

MarkyVigoroth

theblackdragon wrote:

@MarkyVigoroth: I'm just surprised there were so many people who seem to have thought it would've taken longer, lol. This kind of thing is pretty normal IMO.

I actually thought that I would have to wait a month!

Actually, I like Bowser AND hairy bellies!

warioswoods

A quick update on the matter: it's looking more and more like the update wasn't really defeated by a software fix, and that the old R4i's are all permanently disabled. It seems like the company is actually having to release a new hardware iteration, which means that all current R4i users are indeed screwed (victory!).

Here's the hilarious google translation of the manufacturer's note on the matter:

To the users that bought the R4i cards before Aug 10th, please do not connect to the Internet to upgrade your DSi firmware version 1.4, because DSi firmware version 1.4 will disabled all the 3rd part accessories, and it will made you can not use our card. But Cards that made after Aug 10th can be use in the course of nature. We are sorry about that, and beg your forgive

Found here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=172194&st=150

So, if you buy the new card, it will work "in the course of nature," whatever that means.

Edited on by warioswoods

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

MarkyVigoroth

I think that, in that sense, "in the course of nature" means "like always" (in this case, like normal until a new update).

Actually, I like Bowser AND hairy bellies!

LzWinky

Wow, that can hurt the business if Nintendo constantly updates the DSi

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

koolkitties

You guys are such fanboys.

CheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitout

LzWinky

koolkitties wrote:

Why? Because we don't like pirates who are too cheap to pay for stuff?

LzWinky

Would the prices be higher? Nintendo's making enough even with the pirates, and historically the prices of video games aren't much higher than they used to be with the exception of the Playstation 3

warioswoods

@Mange

I don't agree at all about prices; if anything, they might actually be able to drop prices a little if everyone playing the latest game was actually paying for it; it's basically the case right now that those of us who pay are subsidizing those who don't. We're paying for great games to be developed and distributed, while others are just letting us subsidize their ability to enjoy them anyway.

As for the article, it makes sense with regard to music, but not games. They even note in the article that what they're describing--ie, the positive impact of sampling artists and songs for free--does not easily apply to movies or other types of property.

There are some people out there who would never buy the games anyway, but the much more problematic issue is that these devices have been sold in increasing numbers in recent years, to all kinds of consumers, and many of those are certainly lost sales. If Nintendo can keep making it difficult for someone to pirate, by shutting down the current cards and requiring one to keep track of software updates, buy new versions of the flashcards and so forth, they will greatly help to keep the problem under control.

koolkitties

lz2009 wrote:

koolkitties wrote:

Why? Because we don't like pirates who are too cheap to pay for stuff?

Because you despise them! Pirates are getting taken down! If prices go up, then there will just be more pirates, and Nintendo knows that. Unlike PC games, the dent on DS games is nearly nonexistent... I know a Wii pirate, and have been offered to get a Wii chip. I turned it down, but I think you guys should turn your hate down. So what if someone is getting their games for free? There are gonna be people like this on every console...

CheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitoutCheckitout

Mange

Of course they would be able to drop prices... would they? I believe not.
Havn´t read the article for a while but didn´t it mention that freeloaders tend to be those that buy most games?

Mange

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.