Forums

Topic: DS successor dropped in favor of DS

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Corbs

According to an IGN Article Nintendo already had the new system finished and then cancelled it in favor of the DSi upgrade. I guess the DSi system is here to stay for awhile.

Edited on by Corbs

Plain old gamer :)

y2josh

Darn.. maybe they just delayed the new system for a E3 2010 anouncement

y2josh

Corbs

I said the other day that I figured since they had made another upgrade to the DS system, there would likely be a long wait for the next handheld and that appears to be the case. This DSi sold way too well at launch for an upgrade for Nintendo to mess with that.

warioswoods

It seems like the new way of updating a handheld device -- this is essentially what Sony is doing, unless I'm mistaken. They also dropped one feature that was bulky / outdated (UMD) while adding a new emphasis on downloadable games, and basically are trying to transition their old base over to the new product. I don't know the PSP world very well, though, so I'm not sure how closely that analogy holds, but it seems like a somewhat parallel strategy at a glance, upgrading rather than completely replacing, so that you (hopefully) keep some of your base intact during the transition, rather than forcing an all new product with zero backwards-compatibility and an empty library of games.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

y2josh

Yeah, more than likely you both are right. I just hate to face the facts the DSi is going to be here for another couple years at least. I was looking for a better update from the DSlite than the DSi. So far the download service hasn't made me really want to upgrade when my DSlite is like new. Guess I'll go get a PSP3000 and act like its the nintendo DS2, now with 1 screen! lol

y2josh

Adam

I don't understand why people want new hardware. As long as new software is coming, I don't want to pay extra money for a new machine. But to each his own!

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Corbs

I just think the hardware itself is plenty powerful enough and the addition of the DSiWare service makes it even more appealing to me. Now if they'll just get off their duffs and put the DSi Virtual Console on there, I'll be happy. For now.

blackknight77

I have been happy with my DSi, so I am not really concerned with a new DS. It just needs a VC with Super Mario Land

Reopen the Wii Shop Channel

Adam

A DSi VC might not have the huge appeal DSiWare does for the general audience, but I think it would be all Nintendo needs to get those on-the-fence long-time fans to upgrade from the Lite.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Cheezy

I'd be stoked if Nintendo announced a second DS now. I just got the DSi less than two months ago. I'd feel like the same customer who had gotten d'nide by Sega when they announced the cancellation of the Saturn only 2-3 years after it's release

Who Are You?

theblackdragon

weirdadam wrote:

I don't understand why people want new hardware. As long as new software is coming, I don't want to pay extra money for a new machine.

this. we've already got the hardware, now let's see them putting out some awesome software for it.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

RonF

Why moving to another platform while the DS is still selling strong? Nintendo did the right thing. I expect they will start working in the new portable machine to be showed at 2011.

RonF

Slapshot

Nintendo already ticked off Wii customers royally last year with the lack of games and alot of those gamers have turned to the DS for Nintendo products last year. I know I did myself. I upgraded to DSi and If I found out that I just dropped 200 bucks on a system that was released as a dead product I would prob be done with Nintendo permantly. I dont think Nintendo would want to take that chance. I spend thousands of dollars gaming a year and a big portion of that goes to Nintendo, I think they knew that would have been to tick off gamers that were already a little on edge towards them prior to E3 2009. Now give me some DSi VC, Its now got to be coming soon.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Corbs

I think we all pretty much knew with the success of the DSi, even early on, there was no way Nintendo was going to take a chance on ruining their cash cow. And in all honesty, the DSi is a perfectly capable system with some amazing titles headed it's way this year and next. I say keep 'em coming!

TwilightV

They have a Wii successor lying in wait, too. They're just waiting for the right moment to announce them. Timing is everything and this just proves they're WAY ahead of the competition.

TwilightV

Slapshot

@Corbie.... I agree with you completely. I'm really impressed with the DSi. I like the setup of the menus, bright/large screens and touch screen seems to be way more responsive and precise. Not to mention Nintendo has never needed HD graphics and huge processors to make great video games. Now with downloadable game(unsellable) available also. Nintendo simply doesn't need a new system. Developers are already aboard in masses for the DS and know the ins and outs on how to develop for the system, they just simply didn't need a "new" handheld system at the moment. That's why I spent the money on DSi. Software support.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Jadman950

also u can get better sd cards to upgrade

Jadman950

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.