Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 782

MikeDanger

oiiopo wrote:

Hey, I hear a lot of praise for the Dragon Quest DS games, and here where I live DQ is really unpopular. I see games like Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies and DQ Monsters: Joker and lots of other DQ titles in the returns pile for $8-20. Do you think that's a good deal? I'm new to the series too, but I tend to like JRPG's for the most part. Is it just the cutesy character designs putting people off or is there something else flawed with these games?

Get em'. especially DQ9. If you love RPGs, the DQ series is as good as any.

Fan of: Shin Megami Tensei/ (Classic) Mega Man/ Pokemon/ Batman Arkham/ Metal Gear Solid/Peanuts/ DBZ/ Regular Show/ Power Rangers/The Walking Dead/ Invincible/ Detective Comics/ Secret Six/ Immortal Iron Fist/ Lobo/ Green Lantern
Colors 3D:

MikeDanger

sykotek wrote:

Untitled
If you're in North America, the one you want to avoid is the one on the right... the one with the full color label. If you live in Europe, there's no glitch to worry about.

My game card is the one on the left, so that means mine doesn't get the glitch? Well then, that sums it up a couple of points. Thanks for telling me this.

Fan of: Shin Megami Tensei/ (Classic) Mega Man/ Pokemon/ Batman Arkham/ Metal Gear Solid/Peanuts/ DBZ/ Regular Show/ Power Rangers/The Walking Dead/ Invincible/ Detective Comics/ Secret Six/ Immortal Iron Fist/ Lobo/ Green Lantern
Colors 3D:

R-L-A-George

MikeDanger1 wrote:

sykotek wrote:

Untitled
If you're in North America, the one you want to avoid is the one on the right... the one with the full color label. If you live in Europe, there's no glitch to worry about.

My game card is the one on the left, so that means mine doesn't get the glitch? Well then, that sums it up a couple of points. Thanks for telling me this.

I got mine today, yay its post recall.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

Nightwalker

oiiopo wrote:

Hey, I hear a lot of praise for the Dragon Quest DS games, and here where I live DQ is really unpopular. I see games like Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies and DQ Monsters: Joker and lots of other DQ titles in the returns pile for $8-20. Do you think that's a good deal? I'm new to the series too, but I tend to like JRPG's for the most part. Is it just the cutesy character designs putting people off or is there something else flawed with these games?

Also, DO buy DQV and DQVI... There's a good chance you'll enjoy them more than DQIX and DQ Monsters.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

rolLTheDice

oiiopo wrote:

I see games like Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies and DQ Monsters: Joker and lots of other DQ titles in the returns pile for $8-20. Do you think that's a good deal? I'm new to the series too, but I tend to like JRPG's for the most part. Is it just the cutesy character designs putting people off or is there something else flawed with these games?

I'm in no way an expert when it comes to JRPG's. The only one i've really gotten into and beat so far is DQIV. I loved the old-school, strictly turn-based battle system and the ego perspective in battles. As well as the way everything looks and how easy it is to understand what effect each spell has.
So even if the only RPG's you played before were the Mario ones (as i did) i highly recommend it.
DQV and VI seem to give some more options as recruiting monsters for your party and V for giving you more choices in the story. DQIX somehow feels a bit more shallow but should also be good. Especially if your friends also own the game and you can play it in multiplayer mode.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

CanisWolfred

Dragon Quest's problem has always been that it's tedious. The flavor text makes battles take a little too long, drops are never as plentiful as one may like, equipment costs just a little too much, and you generally outgrow the monsters in your area after only 2-3 levels. If you can get past that, you'll be golden. The games are charming, and fun if you don't mind grinding. Dragon Quest V also has a great story, too. And you can start with this series where ever. They don't actually change much from game to game, so if you like one, you'll like them all.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iBazly

I always see various DS RPGs, of all kinds (Strategy, Action, etc.) on sale at Game Stop. I wanted to know if you guys could let me know what some of your favorites are! Some examples of games I keep seeing but don't know a lot about are: Heroes of Mana, Children of Mana, Glory of Heracles... and the list goes on. I've been looking stuff up online about a lot of them but I trust you all much more!

CanisWolfred

Bazly wrote:

Heroes of Mana, Children of Mana, Glory of Heracles

Stay away from all of these, for one.

As for the ones I like:

• Disgaea DS - No voice acting, but otherwise it's actually the definitive version of the first Disgaea, IMO. Lucky for you, so few agree that it goes for a decent price nowadays.
  • Knights in the Nightmare - One of the most unique games out there. Just make sure you get it with a manual. It's really, really complicated.
  • Dragon Quest IV - The worst of the DS Dragon Quests, but still a goodie. Nice if you enjoy simpl(-ish, it's got a lot of variety, actually) RPGs and don't mind grinding.
  • Phantasy Star Zero - It's the sequel to the grand MMO of yesteryear in all but name. It's not quite as good as PSO, but it's still good fun, and has a good price nowadays. Be warned, though, the controls take a lot of getting used to, especially if you don't use guns (though really, why wouldn't you?).
  • Chrono Trigger - Easily the definitive version of the definitive RPG. New copies can still be had for pretty cheap.
  • Contact - Well...I liked it at least. :/
  • The Dark Spire - great if you like hard RPGs. It's got charm to spare, great music, a surprisingly interesting story considering the old-school style, and a dungeon that's fun to explore. Good luck finding it cheap nowadays, though.
  • Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Like The Dark Spire but not as good, not as hard, and a lot more variety to its gameplay and visuals.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Beginners Strategy RPG. It's fun, and long, and pretty cheap nowadays, too. Just don't expect a challenge like in, say, Fire Emblem.
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - The only FE game I liked happens to be the least liked among FE fans. If you're new to the series, this is a good place to start - it actually teaches you how to play and gives you some helpful tips.
  • Lunar Knights - a hack n slash dungeoncrawler RPG with a lot of style. Be warned, it's kind of repetitive and the story sucks, but other than that, it's a lot of fun. There's also a lot of puzzles (most of which are kinda simple) that break up the flow enough to keep it from being a bore, like Children of Mana.
  • Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer - A decently fun Rogue-like. Be warned, though, it's hard and unforgiving - death resets your level and you start at the beginning of the dungeon, too!
  • Nostalgia - An average game on all levels, but if you have any nostalgia for RPGs on the PS1, you might very well enjoy it.
  • Sands of Destruction - a quirky, fun, relatively fast-paced RPG. Nothing about is is particularly good, but it tries (which is more than I can say for Nostalgia). Also, make sure you get it with a booklet, as you'll need it to understand how the gameplay works.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Easily the best SRPG on the system. It introduces a lot of mechanics you don't often see in SRPGs, and it has a great story with interesting characters. Be warned, though, the definitive version is the 3DS version. Get that if you can.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - The first story-focused dungeon crawler I ever played. It also has a good story to it, too. The gameplay is fairly standard, but with a nice little twist that keeps things interesting. Plus there's a monster-rasing mechanic, where you can negotiate with monsters to get them into your party, and you can fuse monsters to make new monsters with additional skills. The graphics are old school, but the moster designs are great. And the soundtrack is phenominal! Easily my favorite game on the DS. Be warned, though: It's a bit expensive nowadays, and hard to find in stores.
  • Super Robot Taisen: The Endless Frontier - Fun, fast-paced, and funny Action-RPG. The combat is more like that of a fighting game, but the rest is a normal RPG. Be warned, though: It's got a tremendous difficulty curve - I've died a zillion times just in the first area! But once you get it down, you're set.
  • Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - An old-school RPG in every way outside of the graphics. If you like games like Final Fantasy V, you'll love this game. Be warned: It's really hard, and sorta grindy.
  • Dragon Quest IX - The latest in the long running Dragon Quest series, though not quite the best. It's long and grindy, though it does have a large set of classes to choose from. It's as tedious as other Dragon Quest games, too. However, it has loads of charm - you can tell they put more effort into the dialogue and names of things than anything else in the game!
  • Radiant Historia - The DS' swan song, and a fantastic game in every way. Easily my second favorite on the system. Be warned, it's kind of expensive and a bit hard to find in stores.
  • Dragon Quest V - The best Dragon Quest, period, if only because it has a great story. Otherwise, it's still Dragon Quest - you either like it or you don't.
  • Final Fantasy III - A simple, yet charming RPG of yesteryear. It's still an old school game, for better or for worse, and the end game is grueling - I seriously never died until I fought the final boss, and never had to grind. In the end I had to grind for 4 hours straight in order to beat that guy, and it still took me several tries. Still, I love the game from the bottom of my heart.
  • Digimon World: Dusk - It's a decent game in its own right, but if you like Digimon, you'll enjoy it a LOT more. Be warned: It's hard to find and a bit expensive.
  • Solatarobo: The Red Hunter - My Dream RPG. It's got a unique battle system, customization, an great story, loveable characters, and loads of charm. Problem is, it has more dialogue than some people seem to care for, and it's super easy. I can aim those same criticisms at the ever beloved Golden Sun and those same people who complained about it in Solatorobo probably would defend GS to the end (and Solatorobo is the more interesting game by far, IMO). It's also really cheap right now, too. Highly recommended.

Out of all of these, my favorites are:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Radiant Historia
Solatorobo: The Red Hunter
The Dark Spire
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Lunar Knights
Disgaea DS
Phantasy Star Zero
Dragon Quest V

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamesake

@Bazly Radiant Historia is still the best DS RPG I've played. I really like Dragon Quest V as well, but it's old school and not for every gamer. After those two I'd go with Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger if you haven't played them on the SNES/VC already. The DS has a ton more RPGs, but most of them that I've played have just been OK.

I should probably warn you away from Black Sigil if you find it. The story moves too slow, and the random battles are too frequent. The battles are pretty typical stuff too. I'm trying to finish it, but I just can't play it for long before I get bored sick-- and I'm never much further into the game then when I started. And yes, it is glitchy! Even had to restart my game once.

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier is one I should have avoided too. I thought it would be humorous like Sakura Wars but it wasn't. The characters are unlikable, the dialog manages to be both boring and cringe worthy, the graphics outside of combat are lacking, and the combat while fun enough at first gets tiresome very fast.

...in my pants.

iBazly

@Mickeymac and @Gamesake:

I probably should have specified a bit more! I was raised on RPGs so I like old school RPGs just as much as new. I alreayd have the final Fantasies, Mystery Dungeon, Chrono Trigger, and Disgaea but it's good to know what sort of things you like as well! I will definitely look into all of your suggestions though, thank you!

@Mickeymac again: What sort of game is Digimon World: Dusk? The only Digimon World game I have enjoyed is 2, because it combined the monster collection RPG gameplay with Roguelike gameplay, so it remains one of my favourite RPGs to this day. I find I never enjoy any other Digimon games though, despite loving the anime.

CanisWolfred

Digimon World 2 was your fave? Interesting. My bro likes that, too, though I found navigating the dungeons too difficult. Anyways, Dawn/Dusk (there's two versions) is more like Dragon Quest in its combat, except with a bit of strategy thrown in, while the overworld is more like that of Digimon World 3 - you have towns you go around, and maze-like dungeons you explore that don't really have much in them besides treasure chests. The biggest problem is that the story is told through a series of quests you get from a counter, but you're probably used to that if you liked Digimon World 2. There's also a farm you can put the digimon you're not using into, which you can customize and upgrade. To put it simply, it's less polished than, say, Digimon World 3, but ultimately I had more fun with it than almost any other Digimon game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Wheels2050

Unfortunately the Digimon Dawn and Dusk games fetch a very high price these days!

And Mickeymac, I noticed you left off Devil Survivor 2. Have you not played it yet, or do you just not like it?

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

CanisWolfred

I haven't played Devil Survivor 2 yet. I don't even have it yet. It's on my list, though. I just don't have any more money at the moment.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Wheels2050

Fair enough. I know how you feel about the money situation! Personally I've only got about 5 more games I definitely want to get for the DS, and after that I may pick a few others up if I have the money down the track. Of course, that's assuming that there aren't any unannounced games for it that I'll really want!

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Wheels2050

Which ones?

I'm looking to get Kirby Superstar Ultra, Tales of Hearts (the most expensive one on this list), Chibi Robo: Park Patrol and Peggle: Dual Shot (I thought there was one more, but maybe not). I might look into getting the new Pokemon games when they come out, depending on what they're like.

There's a few 'maybes' for me, such as Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Draglade, the Rub Rabbits, 42 All Time Classics etc. but with a collection of over 150 games I'm sure I can do without

Edited on by Wheels2050

CanisWolfred

Pokemon Platinum (Most expensive if I get it new, I don't want to get a used cartridge).
Dragon Quest VI (I don't even like DQ, but I have to finish my collection now that this and 7 are all I'm missing)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclasia (I'm so behind on these games, but I want to grab it before it becomes hard to find)
Devil Survivor 2 (It's an Atlus game. Better grab it before it's hard to find)

There are a bunch of lesser games that I'll likely get some time down the road, but I have 60 DS games already, I think I'll be just fine without those games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MikeDanger

Sorry to interrupt, but i've finally gotten the hang on Front Mission on the DS. And I gotta say it's got it's learning curve, but it gets fun once you get used to it. I recommend it to any one that likes Advanced Wars of Fire Emblem, and of course, giant customizable fighting robots.

@Mickeymac I don't know if this is for every store, but I saw copies of Dragon Quest 6 on Best Buy for $15 brand new. Hope it helps.

Colors 3D:

Xilef

I'm planing to pick up one of the Castlevnia games. Which one of them is good to start with if you have never played a Castlevania game before?

Xilef

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic