Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 782

Nightwalker

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Isn't there anyone here that can give me their opinions on Sands of destruction or isn't there anyone here who has played that?

I am playing it atm...
Just don't expect a non-linear game, and you will find it quite entertaining! It has this "Hollywood" feel to it, with the voiced characters, orchestral music and all...

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

FonistofCruxis

Nightwalker wrote:

mariofanatic128 wrote:

Isn't there anyone here that can give me their opinions on Sands of destruction or isn't there anyone here who has played that?

I am playing it atm...
Just don't expect a non-linear game, and you will find it quite entertaining! It has this "Hollywood" feel to it, with the voiced characters, orchestral music and all...

Thanks, I'll get it at some point then and I know what you mean about the music. I've heard some of the game's awesome soundtrack on youtube.

ThePirateCaptain

RevolverLink wrote:

GundamMac wrote:

iPancakez wrote:

I'm looking for a good ds strategy game while my wii is in for repairs . Should I get Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon or Advance Wars: Dual Strike? Also could anyone recommend some good rpgs. I have FF3 and Chrono Trigger already but I'm looking fore any more suggestions.

I'd recommend Advanced Wars everytime, but in this case, Dual Strike has some rather unbalanced CO skills, so it can make things more frustrating. Basically, if you're an Advanced Wars Beginner, I'd suggest you stay away from it. As for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, it's good if you're a beginniner. The story isn't very important, and the tutorial at the beginning does a great job of teaching you how to play the game, better than any other Fire Emblem, in fact. If you're a Fire Emblem veteran, though, the crumby story and ease of difficulty will likely put you off.

As for RPGs, if you're just looking for DS RPGs, I can recommend these:

The Dark Spire
Disgaea DS
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest IX
Etrian Odyssey III
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Grimoire of the Rift
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
Lunar Knights
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer
Nostalgia
Phantasy Star Zero
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Bold = Highly Recommended

I'd like to second Dragon Quest V and Radiant Historia, and add Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Pokemon White/Black, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver and Suikoden Tierkreis to the recommend list.

And although much of its gameplay has more in common with Zelda than its source series, I'd also recommend Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, if you can find a copy. It's more fun than a spin-off has any right to be.

Thanks to everyone who recommended games. I have way more stuff to get now through you all and internet searches, now to just get enough money to buy everything xD.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

TheImpossibleKid

Hmmmm I'd like to recommand a game seems like it is overlooked a lot. Summon Night: Twin Age, never hear anything about it what so ever and it's actually a really good game O.o oh also got some other great games that arent mentioned yet... Atleast asfar as i've seen.

Soma Bringer (it's a great game I played the heck out of it)
Luminous Arc series
Suikoden Tierkreis
Spectral Force Genesis
Deep Labyrinth (pretty original Hack and slash game, low scores and all but it really isn't that bad)
Children of Mana

TheImpossibleKid

FonistofCruxis

Riiyuki wrote:

Hmmmm I'd like to recommand a game seems like it is overlooked a lot. Summon Night: Twin Age, never hear anything about it what so ever and it's actually a really good game O.o oh also got some other great games that arent mentioned yet... Atleast asfar as i've seen.

Luminous Arc series
Suikoden Tierkreis
Spectral Force Genesis
Deep Labyrinth (pretty original Hack and slash game, low scores and all but it really isn't that bad)
Children of Mana

Soma bringer looks pretty good but isn't it Japan only? If so, does it have a fan translation? BTW, Welcome to the site!

TheImpossibleKid

Yes there is a full translation pretteh win had a lot of fun with this game OH also check out Tales of Innocense there is also a full translation for that one also a great game ^^ and thanks

TheImpossibleKid

CanisWolfred

Riiyuki wrote:

Luminous Arc series
Suikoden Tierkreis
Spectral Force Genesis
Children of Mana

Deep Labyrinth is that bad. I love Hack n Slash games, but even DL couldn't hold my attention. Spectral Force Genesis was also pretty bad - poorly balanced, slow, and just pooly designed overall. I haven't played the rest, but I do suggest at least explaining those two more thoroughly.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

FonistofCruxis

Riiyuki wrote:

Yes there is a full translation pretteh win had a lot of fun with this game OH also check out Tales of Innocense there is also a full translation for that one also a great game ^^ and thanks

I'll add Soma bringer to my list of DS games to get then and I already knew about the Tales of Innocence translation patch. I loved ToS and I'm currently playing TotA on 3DS, which I'm loving and both have become two of my favourite games ever so I'll definitely get ToI at some point.

Undead_terror

if its ds then if you like horror i suggest the dementium series,black ops ds got zombies on it(one of my fav first person shooters),the best 3rd party fighting game is ultimate mortal kombat,lot of nintendo games are good and the only rare games i can think of is game and watch collection 1&2

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

RevolverLink

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Solatorobo: Red the Hunter and/or Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past? I've been thinking about getting them for a while now.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

CanisWolfred

RevolverLink wrote:

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Solatorobo: Red the Hunter and/or Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past? I've been thinking about getting them for a while now.

Solatorobo is good if you like wordy story-based RPGs with easy action-y gameplay, as well as a gorgeous art style and soundtrack. As for Jake Hunter, I'll direct you to this review: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/jakehunter-motp/index.html

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThePirateCaptain

Does anyone know why copies of Radiant Historia are going for 70-90 dollars? Was there a limited amount of copies and where could I find a cheap one?

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

RevolverLink

I was leaning towards it already but after some further reading, I'm definitely feeling Solatorobo more than Jake Hunter. My only concern with it is that I'll be adding yet another unfinished RPG onto my growing pile.

Thanks for the input, GundamMac.

iPancakez wrote:

Does anyone know why copies of Radiant Historia are going for 70-90 dollars? Was there a limited amount of copies and where could I find a cheap one?

Yeah, Atlus only printed so many copies of Radiant Historia the first time around (even a month after the game was released, I had a hard time finding myself a copy) and even used copies are going for insane amounts. But Atlus is asking fans on Facebook and Twitter whether they'd be interested in buying the game if they give it a second printing, so depending on the response they get, you might be in luck.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Joeynator3000

Ok, someone isn't really helping me with this, so I'm coming here to ask you guys who aren't always stubborn. Fortune Street is making me wanna get into Dragon Quest, and the best bet for me to get into them are the DS games. (while this other person keeps telling me to start with 1- 3..)

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Nightwalker

Eureka wrote:

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Well, if you decide to start playing the Dragon Quest series on the DS, you have several titles (DQIV, DQV, DQVI, DQIX, DQ Monsers (1 & 2))... I'd recommend that you play them, since I was also one to get into DQ on the DS (not having any other DQ game on another console), but I didn't feel "lost" at all... Just play them numerically (they are very loosely connected to each other), and you won't regret it (the sixth part being my absolute favorite ).

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

RevolverLink

Honestly, you can play them in any order you want; the battle system doesn't change much save for some tweaks from entry to entry and the DQ series is much like Final Fantasy in that the stories aren't directly related and there's no overarching plot that you need to pay attention to (IV-VI are very loosely connected because they feature a location called Zenithia, but you would't be missing out on anything even if you played them backwards).

There really isn't a wrong answer here, you should just go with whichever game sounds most interesting to you. As for my personal recommendation, VIII was the first one I played and it's still my favorite, so get that if you have a PS2. But if not, and the DS is the only way to go, I've played IV, V and IX (I do plan on getting to VI eventually); I really liked all three, but I enjoyed V's more personal story and monster taming element the most.

The Revloggery

Joeynator3000

Yeah I was looking around on IGN and saw that 5 was the one that started to do this whole Pokemon thing, which grabbed my attention. xD
Might go with that one, lol
EDIT: Eh, guess I'll hunt this down some other time...one of the stores didn't have V. Maybe later this week when I can go into town myself. Do any of the later games have the monster taming feature? (besides Monsters, lol)

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

RevolverLink

To my knowledge (and I'm hardly a DQ expert), the series sort of split itself into the main series branch and the separate Monsters branch after V introduced recruit-able monsters, although VIII does have an extensive monster battling sidequest and I think VI allows you to recruit Slime enemies into your party.

You could always try Amazon if you're having trouble finding a copy at local stores. I'm pretty sure new copies of V, and most of the other DS releases, have become pretty cheap there.

The Revloggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic