Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 782

kkslider5552000

Get Dawn of Sorrow. It's honestly my favorite Castlevania. And it is shorter (and feels less long) than Layton but has some really good replayability. Probably get Layton eventually, and if you enjoy the game despite bad pacing and terrible plot twists get the other Layton games as well.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Nightwalker

Hey, guys, I'll be buying a secondhand game soon, and I want it to be a long experience. So, I was wondering if it's better to go with some of those "epic" RPGs (GS:Dark Dawn, Radiant Historia, DQ VI...) or try the latest Pokemon versions. Mind you, I am not a devoted Poke fan, I just like it as a long, exploring game, and the concept of growing your personal monsters in it.

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

CanisWolfred

Nightwalker wrote:

Hey, guys, I'll be buying a secondhand game soon, and I want it to be a long experience. So, I was wondering if it's better to go with some of those "epic" RPGs (GS:Dark Dawn, Radiant Historia, DQ VI...) or try the latest Pokemon versions. Mind you, I am not a devoted Poke fan, I just like it as a long, exploring game, and the concept of growing your personal monsters in it.

Sounds like DQ is for you. Though I'm not sure DQVI has monster recruiting. reads on Wikipedia Oh, they got rid of it in the remake, apparently. At least the class system is back. That outta hold your attention for a long while.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nightwalker

Mickeymac wrote:

Nightwalker wrote:

Sounds like DQ is for you. Though I'm not sure DQVI has monster recruiting. reads on Wikipedia Oh, they got rid of it in the remake, apparently. At least the class system is back. That outta hold your attention for a long while.

Thanks for the advice. Realms of Revelation it is.

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

Bassman_Q

For those who are debating over either Pokemon Black/White or Okamiden, I'd say Okamiden. Given that I haven't actually played Pokemon B/W, it just seems more logical to buy the lesser-known game that is less likely to get a sequel over the game that will inevitably receive a sequel (Pokemon Grey) in the coming years. Plus, Okamiden is gorgeous and is truly a masterpiece for the DS. A perfect game if you want great graphics, an engaging story, and addictive gameplay.

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

Raylax

Qwikman & Bass wrote:

For those who are debating over either Pokemon Black/White or Okamiden, I'd say Okamiden. Given that I haven't actually played Pokemon B/W, it just seems more logical to buy the lesser-known game that is less likely to get a sequel over the game that will inevitably receive a sequel (Pokemon Grey) in the coming years. Plus, Okamiden is gorgeous and is truly a masterpiece for the DS. A perfect game if you want great graphics, an engaging story, and addictive gameplay.

Thiiiiiiis. My copy arrives on Monday <3

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

reborn

Hi everyone!
I'm planning to get my first Harvest Moon in DS and I don't know which one is the best, considering I don't have any experience in te series. I have seen Harvest Moon DS, Rune Factory 2, Harvest Moon Sunshine Islands. Which one is better? I like the mixture of Action RPG and farming sim that has Rune Fatcory, but I think I'd prefer to get into the farming simulation before.
Thanks!

Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Persona (PSP), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS).
Recently finished: Pokémon X (3DS), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Virtue's Last Reward (3DS).
FC: 0748-1618-4432

Lotice-Paladin

WaveBoy wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Get Dawn of Sorrow. It's honestly my favorite Castlevania. And it is shorter (and feels less long) than Layton but has some really good replayability. Probably get Layton eventually, and if you enjoy the game despite bad pacing and terrible plot twists get the other Layton games as well.

Well so far I'm just not really enjoying Dawn of Sorrow for 3 simple reasons. The gimmicky Touch screen controls are just akward and break up the flow of the game. The generic bubble gum anime art style is a big downgrade compared to Castlevania's old school monster gothic style, and the main game's screen is on the bottom....THAT is the main reason why I'm having a hard time playing the game. It's hurting my neck, it makes playing the game annoying and just flat out akward.

Aside from that, i'm finding it enjoyable here and there, but it's also kind of tiring and repetitive. Mind you I was never a big fan of SOTN, as i much MUCH perefer traditional old school castlevania

I felt like that playing SOTN but I enjoyed some of the aspects to it...to me it felt like a poor man's Metroid (the Metroidvania series as a whole, not picking on DoS here) but I do like the fact that the story is what I expected...so it does feel like one of those smaller development games that I do tend to enjoy on occassion.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Tasuki

Ok well now because of Waveboy and Swerd_Murd I have been thinking of going back and checking out some of the Castlevania games I have missed. I have Dawn of Sorrows but I was wondering how are the other Castlevania games on the DS. I am looking at Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia and I am wondering have any of you played them and if so are they as good as Dawn of Sorrow?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

reborn

Hey guys! I'm also looking for an outstanding DS JRPG. I have Infinite Space and I was wondering a title between Okamiden, Radiant Historia (import) or Solatorobo. Now I know Solatorobo is coming the 1st of July I'm doubting to get it. I want something fresh and with an unique gameplay (the last JRPG I've played extensely is Persona 4). What do you suggest?

Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Persona (PSP), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS).
Recently finished: Pokémon X (3DS), Persona 3 Portable (PSP), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Virtue's Last Reward (3DS).
FC: 0748-1618-4432

kkslider5552000

Radiant Historia. It's cliched JRPG, but surprisingly, I mean that in a good way. Like almost Chrono Trigger good.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

HolyMackerel

@Tasuki Don't play Dawn of Sorrow unless you've played Aria of Sorrow (GBA) first! DoS is a direct sequel and spoils some major plot twists in the first game. Aria is well worth playing btw. Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia are just as good as Dawn of Sorrow, if not better because they improve upon it and remove the awkward touch screen controls. Portrait of Ruin is very light-hearted and humorous. It's unique because you play using 2 characters. The world is quite large thanks to the portraits and some of them are just genius. Order of Ecclesia is great as well and its glyph weapon system is really interesting. It's probably the most polished of the DS Castlevanias. I love all of the DS Castlevanias and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

@reborn SMT: Devil Survivor is a great tactical RPG which has a similar style to Persona 4. Even though it's a tactical RPG it uses the same press turn system for its battles. I've played it through 4 times (it's meant to be replayed) and I highly recommend it. Radiant Historia is also a good choice as well as SMT: Strange Journey.

HolyMackerel

nicknintendo68

i got monster tale today from the contest win i recommend that.its not like pokemon and it features a monster than noms on cookies and turkey xDD.overall its very fun

im new here i have a wii,dsi,ds lite,3ds this gen
goldeneye fc:458973347875 name:Nick
you may have saw me before idk XD
3ds friend code
1332-7718-9264

Philip_J_Reed

Alright dudes...of the following, which would you pick?

• A Castlevania game (other than Dawn of Sorrow, which I have and love)
  • Bust a Move 3DS (didn't get the most glowing review here, but I'm sure I'd like it)
  • Sonic Colors DS
  • Atari Collection vol. 2 (couldn't find volume one)

What you say?!

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

TeeJay

I can't offer any real recommendations, but I would like to say something about the only game on that list which I have played, which is Sonic Colors. It's great fun, but very, very brief. I completed the game in a few short hours. Disappointing, really, considering how much fun it was.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Colors

I would also say Sonic Colors, since i've never played a castlevania game...ever. Sonic Colors is pretty good.

Umfor Natugeris:
Topu a ximmuma of 030 rachacrets

Colors

I'd reccomend Sideswiped. Nearly impossible to find, but if you like mindless, explosive, racing action, this is a great game.

Umfor Natugeris:
Topu a ximmuma of 030 rachacrets

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic