DSi / DS Forum

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Showing 121 to 140 of 742

AuthorMessage

Pastry

121. Posted:

Birdman13 wrote:

@pie4prez - I can't really give you an opinion on FF4, but DQIX probably has one of the greatest replay values in an RPG ever. I've put over 200 hours into my game (beat that, Reggie!) and still going with a muffled enthusiasm. It's totally worth it.

What are some pros and cons of Dragon Quest IX?
I've heard good things about it but the only Dragon Quest I've played is Rocket Slime. :P

Here is My Backloggery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

122. Posted:

pie4prez wrote:

Birdman13 wrote:

@pie4prez - I can't really give you an opinion on FF4, but DQIX probably has one of the greatest replay values in an RPG ever. I've put over 200 hours into my game (beat that, Reggie!) and still going with a muffled enthusiasm. It's totally worth it.

What are some pros and cons of Dragon Quest IX?
I've heard good things about it but the only Dragon Quest I've played is Rocket Slime. :P

I suggest you take a crack at Dragon Quest II, then. The series hasn't really changed much since.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Birdman

123. Posted:

@pie4prez - Well, one of the big things DQIX has going for it is the addition of multiplayer, but it's completely optional, as I've put in over 200 hours into my game without a second of multiplayer. As for the cons, the story and characters fall flat, and there's that pesky level grinding that will occur sooner or later.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage

JeanLuc_Vaycard

124. Posted:

Not to mention you never seem to have enough gold in the game so you will most likely be grinding for gold and or materials to alchemise for equipment. Still a solid game though. You can make your own team and build them up with whatever proficiencies you want.

Oh and don't expect this to be at all like Rocket Slime. Also a solid game, but Rocket Slime is completely different as a action/adventure game.

Edited on by JeanLuc_Vaycard

THERE... ARE... 4 LIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AuthorMessage

hulklol123456789

125. Posted:

These is important, I need to choose 2 games from 4 games.

Basically I want 1 puzzle and 1 RPG, but not sure wich ones.

I need to choose between:

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
FF: the 4 heroes of light
Professor Layton and the Unwound future
Super Scribblenauts

What should I get?

I also have a eye on Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City but im not really sure.

Edited on by hulklol123456789

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

AuthorMessage

sonic_brawler95

126. Posted:

Out of all those games, I only played Super Scribblenauts, and I would definally recommend that one. Its fun, creative, crazy, and all the problems from the first game are fixed. I bought it at launch about 3 weeks ago, and I'm still enjoying it. :D

3DS FC: 5412-9891-8712

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

127. Posted:

Recommend:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for some quick on-the-go strategy gaming.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier for some over the top, fast-paced RPG action.
Sands of Destruction for RPG fans looking for a unique battle system and a cute anime-like story that doesn't take itself seriously all the time.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

lockelocke

128. Posted:

sooooo I just acquired my little sister's super awesome pink DS and I look like a total gangster playing it. true story.
anyways, I'm completely ignorant on quality DS games. I've played a few; namely Meteos, Phantom Hourglass, Brain Age, Electroplankton, and Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (all lost by my sister btw, she's awesome). I'm looking for some recommendations, so get at me!

my homeboy Nick at Gamestop sold me on The World Ends With You. He knows my tastes pretty well at this point. SO you can either just throw whatever games you love my way, or give me something more in the vein of TWEWY. BTW, has anyone played the Shim Megami Tensei game for DS? How is that ish?

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

129. Posted:

lockelocke wrote:

BTW, has anyone played the Shim Megami Tensei game for DS? How is that ish?

Both are great. A bit on the hard side, but they're unique and fun. Devil Survivor is...screw it, HolyMackeral said it best:

HolyMackerel wrote:

@MERG Well Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey a first-person RPG and has a map. The battles are first-person, party-based and turn-based. Otherwise they're very different. The mapping is done for you automatically as it doesn't focus on exploration as much as EO. It's far more focused on story and the story is really good. Very mature and sophisticated, although slow and serious. In a way it's reminiscent of SMT III: Nocturne. In fact Strange Journey was originally intended to be SMT 4 before they decided to make it a spin-off.

Battles are 4-on-X, with 3 of your members being demons you can summon and interchange from the bench (so to speak). The other member is yourself, and you have a sword and a gun. If you die then the game is over. You can converse with your enemies to try and get items or money from them or even get them as comrades. The demon conversations are pretty interesting and you have to think about their personalities or they might get offended or even try to kill you, lol.

Lots of spells and abilities you can use - far more variety than EO3 has. Every demon (and yourself too) has different elemental strengths and weaknesses (FF and Pokemon come to mind) so you have to pay attention to those. Elements are a part of the SMT series. Demons (and yourself) have alignments (Lawful, Neutral, Chaos) and similar alignments work better together in battle. Your conversation choices throughout the game also determine your own alignment. Character customisation is nowhere near as in-depth as EO3 though. You can't choose your own stats or class. Instead it's like Pokemon where you select from the many characters you've collected. Demon fusion is a big part of the game, letting you upgrade your party members and complete your demon encyclopedia. If you've played another SMT game then you would understand most of the systems in place.

I'm not sure I would recommend SJ as a first SMT game if you haven't played any before. The story is a little tough to swallow and the mechanics are a little unusual. I'd say SMT: Devil Survivor (also on the DS) would be a better first since it's easier to understand and its story is a little more light-hearted, fast-paced and is easier to understand. It also has a nice introduction to the game system, story concepts and the Press Turn combat system common to a lot of the SMT series. It also has a younger, urban aesthetic (kind of like TWEWY). It's a tactical RPG like Disgaea/FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre if you like those, but the battle system is very much like other JRPGs where you go into "battle mode" and have turns in combat. It's also a very deep game, with some very tough tactical situations and a complex branching storyline and multiple endings. I've played through Devil Survivor four times so far and I love it.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

dsmaster

130. Posted:

@lockelocke

If you like The World Ends With You, you might also like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IV if you like JRPGS or Kingdom Hearts 358/2 if you like more action oriented rpgs, either way they are all excellent games.

dsmaster

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

131. Posted:

I'm not even half way through it yet, but WarioWare: Touched! is easily one of the greatest DS games I've ever played.
I knew I'd have a blast with it after enjoying Smooth Moves for the Wii...It's very quirky, twisted, goofy and clever and VERY addicting. You guys should definitly check it out! Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta play some WW: Touched! muhaha.

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Shane904

132. Posted:

I need your opinion on this. I have two VERY different games I am considering buying.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

and

Animal Crossing: Wild Wood

I like the classic Pokemon games, and this is of course, completely different, but it looks fun.

Ive never played an Animal Crossing game, but it looks fun too.

If you have one (or even better, both), which would you suggest?

Check out my free Android app, Paddle Ball!
Google Play Store | Amazon Appstore

[Check out Reviews by Shane!]

AuthorMessage

Bassman_Q

133. Posted:

@sak- I can't say for sure, as I don't have Explorers of Sky, but I can fully recommend Animal Crossing to you. It's one of my most favorite games for the DS (and possibly of all time), and have logged in the most time with it. Once you start, you can't put it down. You just keep thinking "Just one more fish to catch, just need this much money to pay off my debt to get the next house upgrade." Seriously, its an incredibly addicting game with pretty good graphics for a DS game. Buy it!

Currently obsessed with Fire Emblem: Awakening

3DS FC: COMING SOON
Wii Friend Code (Showcase): 5828 1840 9740 9987
WarioWare DIY FC: 3309 7315 6534
Goldeneye 007 (Wii): 0457 2025 5629

Flipnote Hatena (Haven't been on in over 2 years, btw!)
DIY Wikihouse Page
The Qwikloggery

AuthorMessage

dsmaster

134. Posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for any really unique/quirky games for the ds? It doesn't have to be a game that was famous or critically acclaimed just something unique.
Thanks

dsmaster

AuthorMessage

Rob_mc_1

135. Posted:

dsmaster wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for any really unique/quirky games for the ds? It doesn't have to be a game that was famous or critically acclaimed just something unique.
Thanks

That is a really broad question. Scribblenaut series fits both unique and quirky. Elite Beat Agents is definitely quirky.

Is there any particular game type you prefer?

♠♦♣

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

136. Posted:

How is Diddy Kong Racing for the DS? I can pretty much get it for less than $20 CAN.
From what I hear it's an actually pretty solid game, but the DS touch screen controls hamper the experience.

Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol and Henry Hatsworth are also on the 'Maybe' List out of the 29 DS games I wan't to get.
I can get both of those each for under $20 too, but the question is are they worth it? :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Knux

137. Posted:

dsmaster wrote:

Thanks

I am going to suggest Mario VS Donkey Kong:Miniland Mayhem and/or Yoshi Touch & Go.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage

Birdman

138. Posted:

@dsmaster - Rhythm Heaven. That's a very quirky title right there. Also, check out Big Bang Mini and Ninjatown, both can be very quirky as well.

Edited on by Birdman

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage

melvin2898

139. Posted:

Hi my name is Melvin and basically I want to see if you can help me. I haven't bought many games in awhile and need more time to manage money. I want these games for DS/DSi and please tell me if you see them on sale or if I can get a deal somewhere.
THIS LIST IS LONG. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Basically if the games are on sale just tell me about it and what store or if it's on sale online.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Monster Tale
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Pokemon Black / Pokemon White
Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Art Academy
Sonic Classic Collection
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Warioware DIY
Draglade
Monster Racers
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
THIS WILL BE THE POINT WHERE I SWITCH TO DSi
Uno
Shantae: Risky Revenge
myPostcards
myNotebook Tan,Carbon,Pearl
myDiary
Looksley's Line Up
Rytmik
Academy Tic-Tac-Toe
AiRace
Game & Watch Ball
Game & Watch Chief
Game & Watch Donkey Kong JR.
Game & Watch Flagman
Game & Watch Helmet
Game & Watch Judge
Game & Watch Manhole
Game & Watch Mario's Cement Factory
Game & Watch Vermin
Cave Story
Metal Torrent
Mighty Flip Champs
Mr. Driller: Drill Till You Drop
X-Scape
Go Series
Kappa's Trail
Crystal Monsters
Zenonia
Flipper 2
Maybe you can see if you can add up some math and see if I can use a points card to buy some games. I'm really busy and any help would be good.

Souls are for the weak. I flow with the darkness on the pathway of depression.

Twitter: Melvin2898

AuthorMessage

HolyMackerel

140. Posted:

@melvin You will never get any deals on the DSiWare games you've listed (and there's a lot of them). They're sold at the store price only. May as well buy them.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042