Forums

Topic: DS as eReader?

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

yodude

I recently purchased the collection of 100 classic books cart for the DS. Does anyone know if Nintendo plans on expanding on this idea? Be nice to see some sort of online bookstore for the DS, or more carts like what has been released (Sci Fi collection would be nice). I think this was a one off release, but it would be nice to see my XL double as an eReader...

yodude

xAlias

Dunno, but on Dsi you can listen to audiobooks and music by converting the files to aac on iTunes, then transporting them to an SD card.

xAlias

Nintendo Network ID: xAlias

LordJumpMad

No Thanks
I don't want to be buying packs of cards again, to just get Games.
( Still have a buch of e-reader cards from The Mario Party game) http://www.toysnjoys.com/gba/mariopartye.jpg

I want to see something better then an e-Reader for the DS.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Punny

JumpMad wrote:

No Thanks
I don't want to be buying packs of cards again, to just get Games.
( Still have a buch of e-reader cards from The Mario Party game) http://www.toysnjoys.com/gba/mariopartye.jpg

I want to see something better then an e-Reader for the DS.

I think yodude means an eReader as in something to read books, not the old Game Boy Advance thing that you have to scan cards into.

I'm back (for the moment)!

SwerdMurd

Personally, I don't think this idea will take off with the DS due to the screen design. Anyone who's used a Nook or Kindle or Sony e-Reader and has seen the screen surface immediately notices the difference between it's screen and a more conventional LCD screen for a gaming/media device. Simply put--it's made to feel like reading off of paper...and it works. It's not nearly as taxing when reading over long periods of time compared to something like a computer or handheld screen.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Victoria

I read ages and ages ago that in Japan they had more books on cartridges, like the 100 Classic Book Collection. They were genre based, like romances, and thrillers. But I never heard any more about them being released outside of Japan.

My Art Academy artwork can be viewed here: My Gallery

Bankai

Victoria wrote:

I read ages and ages ago that in Japan they had more books on cartridges, like the 100 Classic Book Collection. They were genre based, like romances, and thrillers. But I never heard any more about them being released outside of Japan.

There was one - romances. I don't believe there were any others.

I also doubt Nintendo has any interntion on supporting e-books further (Nintendo being the ones that published 100 classic books), considering it's an area that devices such as the iPad and Blackberry are already in competition with dedicated e-readers such as the Kindle. All of which have much, much higher quality displays than the DS, and e-readers are so cheap these days that anyone with any interest in reading digital books will be able to buy one.

Therefore the number of people that would be interested in e-books on the DS would be so small that it wouldn't justify the cost of production.

yodude

Thank you everyone. I would suspect that the classic collection was a one off, My preference is not to invest in an eReader, and was just hoping to be able to utilize the DS XL's size.

yodude

Hokori

I want my 3DS to have Manga as 3DSWare PLZ

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Peznaze

Ah, well, if you really want to, you can always convert a .mobi to .txt and post it on the internet somewhere and then read it on your DSi XL from the web browser. (close the lid and re-open after it's loaded to save battery power) Not generally recommended, but it might work for you.

Peznaze

R-L-A-George

labrat7 wrote:

Dunno, but on Dsi you can listen to audiobooks and music by converting the files to aac on iTunes, then transporting them to an SD card.

it can only hold 30 seconds, fail.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

theblackdragon

R-L-A-George wrote:

labrat7 wrote:

it can only hold 30 seconds, fail.

No need to be rude, especially when you're wrong -- the audiobooks would be MP3 files on your computer, which would be there converted to aac format (thus the 'iTunes' part of labrat7's reply), and then you'd put them on an SD card. pop the SD card into your DSi and you're good to go -- you can hold plenty of audiobooks on a large SD card, i'd wager.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Shane904

You could convert some books to text and upload them and use the web browser

Shane904

R-L-A-George

Didn't mean to be rude, sorry.

Look what I found but sadly. Not in Production anymore.
thank you for not providing links to homebrew sites -- TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George

My apologies, why is everything so ridiculous. I love creativity but hate Homebrew.

R-L-A-George

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.