Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Posts 421 to 440 of 520

Birdman

I can't really help you. Try hunting down Gem Jamborees for the moment, until you find a Gem Slime grotto or a Platinum King Jewel grotto, as I believe they drop a good amount of gold as well. Keep tryin', but you might want to always have enough money to make/sell Gold Armor on hand, so you can (semi-quickly) make a large amount of cash fast.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Revanmann

make Ear Cosys those don't take too long but it an get tedious especially sicne i wasted 3 hours doing it and i just spent most of my gold on armour,
Does anyone know how much hp Laviathon #2 has, i am trying to get the starlight express and he's really starting to bug me with his wave attack

EDIT:
Never mind I got him and i love Slime Hill i attack 5 get it 5 Liquid Metal Slimes in 1 battle 1 ran away but i got the rest mostly with Thunder Thrust and i got over 160,000 xp YEAH!

Edited on by Revanmann

Currently Playing:
Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Star Wars: Squadrons
Black Ops Cold War Zombies
Favorite game: Super Metroid

sykotek

@Mr.iwantwiipoints: I've just spent the last 3 hours grinding nonstop for gold through alchemy. Finished building my supply back up to 600,000G. I started with 10,000G and I gotta say, alchemizing and selling the Ear Cosy really helped build my gold from 10K to the first few hundred thousand quite quickly, much more quickly then I previously have done in the past when I get to that low of a starting amount. Thanks for the tip Mr.iwantwiipoints, it was incredibly helpful, probably saved me 4 hours.

I was using an Attribeauty I found in a chest in a grotto (it rarely misses against slimes) before I learned of the awesomeness that is Thunder Thrust (Spear) and Hatchet Man (Axe). Make it priority to get those ability for your characters and you'll easily gain levels for everyone else in absolutely no time at all fighting the metal slime family. You can trust me, I have 5 support characters maxed out with all vocations at 99 and all assignable ability points, currently finishing up my newly unlocked 6th character and my main character has multiple (at least 2) revocations in all jobs.

@Birdman13: I'm gonna listen to your tip too Birdman13 and I'm leaving 99 of each of the parts needed to make Gold Armor in my inventory. That way, when I need it, I'll just spend 15 minutes and make 100K instead of 2.5 hours of constant alchemy grinding to get 460K. I should've known better anyways, but got lazy. It is hard to not spend the gold when its there, but if its already in the form of alchemy ingredients, I don't have an excuse. Thank you for the helpful tip.

Just in case you were interested, according to my Defeated Monster List,
Platinum King Jewel only gives 1000G, but does offer massive EXP at 240000.
Gem Slimes give 10080G and 6000 EXP, if I could find a floor with ONLY GS, my money troubles would be non-existent.
When grinding for EXP, it hardly gets better than Metal King Slime though since you can get to fight 2 most of the time per battle as opposed to PKJ, which I haven't encountered more than 1 per battle. Each MKS (up to 3 max per battle) gives 120040 EXP and 80G.

Anyways, thanks for the tips guys, hope you continue to have fun. =D

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Revanmann

Glad It Worked Out For You, And Yeah Thunder Thrust is REALLY Nice To Have I Am Trying To Get One Of The Legacy Boss Grottos Right Now.
But Before I GO At Him I Want To Lvl Up My People Because I Just Changed 2 of My Vocations One To Gladiator( And Yeah, I'm Trying To Get Hatchet Man) and Ranger.
And I'm Not Quite Sure What Revocating is Is It Where I Would Be Sent Back 2 Lvl 1 But I Would Still Have My Skill Sets?
Also I'm Trying To Get Orichalcum To Fix My Rusty Sword..
So.. I Have A Lot Ahead of Me lol

Currently Playing:

sykotek

@Mr.iwantwiipoints: Revocating is resetting a characters job class from 99 to 1. Metal King Slimes drop Orichalcum occasionally.

Edited on by sykotek

Revanmann

@sykotek
No you didn't offend me I used to type like that but i always thought that when i type like this it made me seem a little dumb. meh whatever i don't really care anymore
Yeah i heard that about king metal slimes but i can't seem to get to them in the Tower of Nod and i am not going to get to them in a grotto for a while 'cause i wanna level upto at least 60 each b4 i go at them soo......

Edited on by Revanmann

Currently Playing:

sykotek

@Mr.iwantwiipoints: I don't recall seeing them in the Tower of Nod, but then again, I only visited there once. If you can reach Slime Hill, you should be able to reach the Tower, but at lower levels, it might be easier to do Slime Hill. You can consider going to Slime Hill with less party members, that way, a larger share of EXP will be given to each character. Personally, I hunt MKS with only 2 party members, I level up 1-2 levels per battle for my characters that way.

SphericalCrusher

Been back into this game hardcore, mainly to finish and start doing treasure maps. After I beat it, I know I will keep playing it, but there's a few other RPGs I want to play... and I don't want to start another until I have completed the story of this. It was definitely one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played though.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

SphericalCrusher

Finished this game today. End boss battle was insane... he did NOT like my Thief. I died 5 times and all 6 tries to beat him, he one-shotted my Thief in the very first blow. Haha. I'm going to continue to do treasure map quests, work on leveling, and doing alchemy. I'm going to start Golden Sun: Dark Dawn probably also.

Twitch.tv/SphericalCrusher

3DS Friend Code: 1118-0223-8931 | Nintendo Network ID: SphericalCrusher | Twitter:

sykotek

@SphericalCrusher: You're not actually done with the story just so you know. There is still stuff for you to do and even more when you download quests.

LuigiSucks

When do you finish the story? Or do you just mean its an endless game because i knew that. Im stuck on the final boss. And how many times is he gonna he himself 9999 fricken healthpoints??

3DS Friend Code is:1332-7709-6218.
Wii Code is:4256 2684 8092 4530

sykotek

@SolmenDS: You finish the main story once you see the ending sequence. There are bonus quests available when you access DQVC once a week, sometimes these are story quests which reveal more info about events and characters that happened in the world. On your bonus quests screen, you'll see them marked with a "story" tag next to them. There are a finite number of quests, they are already all present on your cart, but require an unlock code from Nintendo for you to access it, so once they're all unlocked and beaten, you'll have completed the story.

While it is true that the game is technically endless, there is a point where it is no longer worth playing any longer. Take me for example, my support characters are already maxed out. My main character is already maxed out and I'm doing revocations for the purpose of getting higher level maps. For grottoes, my main goal at this point is to complete my defeated monsters list and grind for better armor. I can kill anything in the game in as much as 5 turns. As far as completing everything is concerned, its definitely possible, so there's no point in playing it forever.

For the final boss's realm, I would Evac and save after every boss fight. If your party is getting wiped out, you might need to grind for more levels. Before I beat the game and started doing the majority of leveling up in the grottoes, I used to have the standard default party, Minstrel, Martial Artist, Priest, and Mage. What I would do that worked with all bosses would be to use "Gritty Ditty" for the first and second round, "Accelerate" for the first and second round, "Multiheal" when needed, "Hustle Dance" when needed (final Fan ability, multi-healing) and Attack at all other times. He'll probably use "Disruptive Wave" a few times, just remember to rebuff your characters and you should be fine. If a character dies, use a Yggdrasil Leaf instead of "Zing." Try that, you don't need the exact party, many vocations have same or similar skills. If you still get wiped out, it just means you need to level up your characters more or buy/alchemize better equipment. Good luck.

JohnDoe123

I can't beat the second to last boss, the dragon whose name I forget. Anyone have any tips? I can give you details of my team if you like.

JohnDoe123

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0286-9394

sykotek

@EmpireIndustries: Check the paragraph above your last post for my strategy at that time. Honestly, I can't remember the boss too well since that was a long time ago for me in the story. Details of your team would be helpful, yes.

JohnDoe123

Thanks. I've lost multiple times, so I'm trying to level up in grottoes. Any tips on getting high level grottoes? Here's my team:
Lv. 40 Armamentalist
Lv. 45 Warrior
Lv. 44 Martial Artist
Lv. 43 Priest

JohnDoe123

sykotek

@EmpireIndustries: AFAIK, to get higher grottoes, you just gotta keep aiming for the highest level grotto. It is a different story if you revocate your main character, but to do that you need to get him/her to 99 first.

Since you have an Armamentalist, you could try experimenting to find which fource theblackdragon is weak against. If you have completed the quest for the Armamentalist Album, it will cast whichever fource you choose on all characters as long as you have it on your Armamentalist (in that person's inventory, not equipped). It really depends on how you've been allocating your skill points. By level 40, you should have...close to 100 if I remember correctly which could mean you might have it.

Gritty Ditty is a hero skill from what I remember. That means your hero should be able to cast it up to two times for an offensive boost for all your characters. Likewise, the martial artist should have the psych up ability which will increase tension (you can cast up to 100 although sometimes it'll miss 100 from 5-20-50-100 tension and use it to unleash a very strong attack on the boss.

Priest should Multiheal when needed. If one person is near death, Warrior can be a Whipping Boy and take damage for target while the Priest or another character can revive them.

Also, when you lose a character, it may be more useful to use a Yggdrasil Leaf rather than Zing as Zing misses. You can slowly farm YLs from the island east of Bloomingdale.

As for equipment, your characters should be decked out, at minimum, with Upover gear (best gear available prior to the "end" of the game) and better gear when available. You may need to farm for gold. Gold Golems south of Gleeba or you can alchemize Ear Cozys and Gold Mail as another user has mentioned in this thread.

I would primarily fight with melee and not magic in case that is your tactic. Levelling up also helps, but that's not really news.

Anyways, I hope some of that helps you.

Oscarsome

Is there any place that tells you the boss' HP? That'd be great...

Is this a signature?

Nintendo Network ID: Oscarsome

Oscarsome

Thanks! I've stopped playing cuz that stupid feline keeps killing me. So close to the end, too....

Is this a signature?

Nintendo Network ID: Oscarsome

JohnDoe123

@sykotek Thank youvery much. I'll try these tips out ASAP and tell you how it goes.

JohnDoe123

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.