Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Posts 401 to 420 of 520

Birdman

As a note, DQVC has an awesome sale this week on Metal Slime gear, but they're very expensive, so hunt down Gold Golems for cash, King Slimes, King Cureslimes and/or Metal King Slimes for slimedrops and Slime Crowns, and Mini Medals for Orihalcum (or however it's spelled).

@pixelman - No, I don't think there's a way to rename your party members. You may want to revocate each of your party members to be a Gladiator, if only for the easy extra 10 HP and then revocate them back. Every little bit helps. Oh, and no, Mages don't learn any revival spells, but if you omnivocationalize their wand skills, you can take on a quest at Swinedimples (don't know if you've reached there yet) where the reward is a Book that gives you the skill Zing Stick, which allows anyone holding a wand to cast Zing, so it's limited to mostly Mages and Armamentalists. About the only way to effectively train up new party members to fighting status is to hunt down Liquid Metal Slimes in the depths of the Bowhole, or Metal Medleys if you haven't gotten to the Bowhole yet).

@edhe - Your turn. One of the ways I've found to circumvent the Gladiator's (and Martial Artist's, as a side note) low MP is to find MP-boosting equipment. Some of the best are Prayer rings (occasionally dropped by Genie Sanguinis, an extra 30 MP, though supposedly they may break on you), the Sage revocation medal (60 more MP!!), and Sensible Sandals (4.5% evasion, 5 MP, dropped by Elusid occasionally). Keep in mind the risks you would run doing this, as sacrificing a chunk of attack or defense or whatever could cost you in a tough boss fight.

Edited on by Birdman

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

turtlelink

One good thing about Luminarys, if I remember right, was that they had a move where they can boost their own tension. Thats really helpful.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

edhe

Birdman13 wrote:

One of the ways I've found to circumvent the Gladiator's (and Martial Artist's, as a side note) low MP is to find MP-boosting equipment. Some of the best are Prayer rings (occasionally dropped by Genie Sanguinis, an extra 30 MP, though supposedly they may break on you), the Sage revocation medal (60 more MP!!), and Sensible Sandals (4.5% evasion, 5 MP, dropped by Elusid occasionally). Keep in mind the risks you would run doing this, as sacrificing a chunk of attack or defense or whatever could cost you in a tough boss fight.

That hadn't occured to me. The meteorite bracelet is a high agility boost, I find, and negates the need to stat grind, but with the other trinkets, I always preferred to boost my characters strengths.

I suppose my Gladiators can do with 20 (or however many a mighty bracelet offers) strength for the sake of MP. Currently, I have two accessories equipped that replenish MP every step - they seem to be doing the job (although my main problem was with my Gladiator not having the MP capacity to use his Gigagash technique).

I'll keep that in mind.

Can you see about my question on the previous page as well? I assume you are far enough in the game.

Birdman13 wrote:

As a note, DQVC has an awesome sale this week on Metal Slime gear, but they're very expensive, so hunt down Gold Golems for cash, King Slimes, King Cureslimes and/or Metal King Slimes for slimedrops and Slime Crowns, and Mini Medals for Orihalcum (or however it's spelled).

Last week cost me loads of money! And all for weapons I had no intention of using - I was buying them mainly to complete my wardrobe and weapons list.

This week, the prices seem to be much more agreeable, and I was happy to be able to pick up an Orichalcum piece and a slime crown (after so much hassle trying to get both, outside the sales).

turtlelink wrote:

One good thing about Luminarys, if I remember right, was that they had a move where they can boost their own tension. Thats really helpful.

And their Coup d'etat.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

turtlelink

Arg, I need 1000 more G to get the Metal Slime Gauntlets. Good thing it will only take 2 Gold Golems to get that much.

TurtleLink's backloggery

edhe

I trust everyone knows the Gold Mail trading exploit?

If you ever need money (and lots of it), just alchemise a Gold Mail out of a Silver Mail, a Gold Ring and a Gold Bracer and sell them for profit.

All ingredients are available in the stores.

I can't work out how big the profit margin is, but when you get to the point where you are making 99 mails at a time, you turn over something like 20,000 gold each trip.

Details can probably be found on Gamefaqs.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

turtlelink

Thanks for the info, edhe! But right now I have enough for the slime gauntlets and now I'm grinding to get Rain of Pain for my Ranger.

TurtleLink's backloggery

Birdman

@edhe - Okay, I did a little research, and here's what I've come up with:
1. From what I've researched so far, the only reason to re-vocate would be for more skill points for non-hero characters.
2. Re-vocating your hero 10 times in one class gets you an accolade.
3. The Sensible Sandals (from Elusid) have 3 other effects:
3.1. Restores MP by walking (nice)
3.2. If you alchemise them to a greater item, their evasion rate goes up by .5% and their extra MP increases by 5.
3.3. The can't be equipped on Gladiators, Warriors, or Paladins
4. I'm not sure if revocating again will get you another vocation medal, but I can check that realtively easily. I'll be back.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

Birdman

Sorry for the double post, but I have the remaining vocation medal information:
1. You can only get 1 vocation's medal in total, so that means 2 things:
1. Revocating twice will not get you duplicate copies of that medal, so, for example, if you revocated a Paladin once, revocating that Paladin again will not get you the medal again, and
2. Revocating two characters in the same vocation will not get you the medal twice. For example, revocating two sages once will not get you two Sage medals, only one.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

edhe

Birdman13 wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but I have the remaining vocation medal information:
1. You can only get 1 vocation's medal in total, so that means 2 things:
1. Revocating twice will not get you duplicate copies of that medal, so, for example, if you revocated a Paladin once, revocating that Paladin again will not get you the medal again, and
2. Revocating two characters in the same vocation will not get you the medal twice. For example, revocating two sages once will not get you two Sage medals, only one.

That sucks, but although I have two characters I hope to end up as gladiators, I can manage with just the one gladiator prize. The second one can easily have a different one.

I assume a character isn't restricted to 10 revocations across all vocations - for example, a Hero can aim for a full 10 revocations as a paladin, then go for, say, 10 revocations in the Luminary vocation.

I base this assumption on how you said you earn an accolade for revocating 10 times, but do you mean you get an accolade specific to the vocation you revocated 10 times, or is it just a general accolade for raising any Hero up through 10 revocations?

Thanks for the advice.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Birdman

@edhe - No, you're not strictly limited to 10 revocations. Just 10 per vocation. There are individual accolades for revocating your hero (the celestrian) 10 times in one vocation, meaning that if your hero revocated as a Paladin 10 times, you would get an accolade for that, a different accolade for revocating 10 times as a Luminary, etc. There are no accolades for revocating 10 times in total or anything like that, nor are there any for revocating any non-heros any number of times in any vocation(s). I hope that helps.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

edhe

Belated thanks for the tip Birdman (if you're still here. I can't remember seeing you about lately)

Three weeks of boring "Winter Festival" DQVC offers, and If I'm not mistaken, no special quest for this week.

I can't say I'm too worried, because I lost half of my 300,000 coin balance when I died against a legacy boss (and I didn't bother to stash my cash).

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Birdman

@edhe - Yeah, I'm still around, I'm just lurking around more and with this thread near-death, it's almost as if I've vanished. Your welcome. Hopefully this thread will be revived with a few NLer's here getting this for X-mas. A tip to keep you from losing your stash of cash again: Keep as little as possible on you. Sure, it's slightly inconvenient having to see Ginny anytime something relatively cool appears on DQVC, but what's worse: 2 minutes of lost time or 200,000 lost gold?

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

turtlelink

I need to learn to save after level grinding. _
Three times already I put my DSi in sleep while on the overworld and it froze!

TurtleLink's backloggery

Fuzzy

Ha I've done that before. Annoying.

I'm still playing this game, just trying to finish all the quests. I'm not sure how good the claws are, but I think they are pretty awesome, and now my characters omni in claws, just trying to get him awesomely strong.

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

Birdman

@Fuzzy - Claws are good for characters that have low MP (i.e. Gladiators and Martial Artists), as most of their abilities consume minimal MP. You could also try boosting their natural MP levels or equip MP-boosting equipment. I made a list of MP-boosting equipment in a series of posts somewhere recently in this thread, most of which you just need to press the up arrow on your computer to find.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

TLink9

I just found a error in the game the bee girl says colours instead of colors in the us version.

That is TLinkerbell to you!
[17:17] theblackdragon: considering i have neither an xbox nor a ps3 :3
[17:17] Corbie: Nintendo fangirl alert!!!!
[17:17] James Newton: Uh oh
The James Ne...

@TLink9 - That's just the British English spelling of colors. That's probably just the localization team saving a little time, nothing more.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

LzWinky

edhe wrote:

Belated thanks for the tip Birdman (if you're still here. I can't remember seeing you about lately)

Three weeks of boring "Winter Festival" DQVC offers, and If I'm not mistaken, no special quest for this week.

I can't say I'm too worried, because I lost half of my 300,000 coin balance when I died against a legacy boss (and I didn't bother to stash my cash).

I hope you learned a lesson here. Banks are in that game for a reason

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kurtasbestos

Oh man, my copy is sitting in my mail slot RIGHT NOW and two (2!) of my friends are on their way to pick up their copies! I can't wait until the three of us sit in silence playing this game together for several hours until we get to the part where we can actually play together (while still sitting in silence, of course)!!!

AQUIA BASE 10 BOXLIFE CUBELLO DIGIDRIVE light trax ORBIENT PiCTOBiTS precipice ROTOHEX Rotozoa ZENGAGE

Nintendo Network ID: kurtasbestos

sykotek

Man, the last few weeks of DQVC deals has really cleaned out my stash of gold. Does anyone know of a quick and efficient way of making gold besides using alchemy to create and sell gold armor? I'm down to a bit over 100,000G, and as of now, money is my only problem. If only I could find a grotto with a floor of only Gem Slimes, that'd solve all my money problems.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.