Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Posts 161 to 180 of 520

WolfRamHeart

Did anyone go to the Dragon Quest download event at Best Buy today? I went and it went a lot better than the GameStop event last week. There were quite a few Best Buy locations that were hosting the event in my area so it was pretty easy for me to find a participating store. The bad thing is that the store I went to was deserted and there wasn't anyone attending the event so I only got to canvass 2 guests. The good thing about it was that I got some cool Dragon Quest stickers and a Party Slime shirt. I'm just really happy that I got my map. The Nintendo Rep said that the next event is supposed to be held at Toys "R" Us so keep an eye out for that.

Edited on by WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart

LzWinky

@Wolf: I went to the one here and it was awesome! I got 13 canvassed guests and helped a kid thru a dungeon (though I died twice).

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

WolfRamHeart

@lz2010: I probably should have went to a different store because the Nintendo Rep told me that one of the other locations had like 35 people waiting for the event. I was only the fourth person to show up at the store I went to. Best Buy is supposed to hold another event later on but I'm not sure when. I'm hoping that I can canvass some more people soon because my inn is looking pretty lonely right now.

WolfRamHeart

LzWinky

Really? I got 13 people at the event here. It was funny because we kept moving around the store meeting people without the rep

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Birdman

I went to my local Best Buy, and there were about 12 people there chatting with the rep. Of course, I had to wait around for a little while so I could claim my t-shirt (our store didn't have enough), but I still got 12 canvassed guests, which is infinitely better than I did canvassing at 4 airports, Disneyland and Disneyland Californa Adventure combined. One of them (supposedly) gave me a map with a bunch of Metal King Slimes, so that should be nice. It was fun, and in 8 days when the Simon Mall tour comes near my town I'll be there.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

Retronaut

I stopped in by the Best Buy event today for a few minutes, but I couldn't stay long because I had a family event to go to. There were only two other people there, and the guy said that there had only been five people total for the first hour and a half.

Also, they had a whole box of T-shirts, but when I asked if I could have one, the guy told me that they were for people who bought the game today. Now, it seemed like he had enough that he could have given me one, especially if there had only been a few people there all day, but I didn't have time to argue. I got the event map, and a high-level grotto from another player, but then I had to run. I haven't had a chance to check out the grotto yet, but I'm hoping there's some good stuff in there.

Between the GameStop event and the Best Buy event, that brings my total to 17 guests. Has anyone here had ANY luck canvassing anywhere besides these events? I've been taking my game with me in Tag Mode all sorts of places for the last two weeks, and I've had a total of zero non-event Tags.

Edited on by Retronaut

Retronaut

Spoony_Tech

Same on the zero tags. Its getting frustrating and I am all over the place.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Birdman

@Retronaut - I didn't purchase the game that day, but I was still given a t-shirt. According to lz, the grotto is a legacy boss that's tougher than the GS boss. And finally, I've gotten 0 tags outside of the events. This includes going to 4 airports (albeit one was at around 2:30 A.M.), Disneyland and Disney's Californa Adventure.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

suburban_sensei

Birdman13 wrote:

__Suburban_Sensei wrote:

Thanks for the info, Retronaut. I ended up picking DQ9 up last night...and all I can say is "wow", it is really great. You are right, it feels a little more fleshed out then something like Pokemon, but nothing too daunting. I love the customization, and the music is totally top-notch. I enjoyed it so much, that in one sitting last night, I got to the Wight Knight (need to grind a bit though, don't seem strong enough to take him down.)

Do you have a full party? I lost to him twice, then I recruited a priest, warrior and mage to help me, and it was easy once they were around level 7 or so.

The first time I battled him, I wasn't sure if I was able to have a full party yet. After I was defeated, I went to the Inn and made up a team; a warrior, a mage, and a martial artist. I grinded a bit and got them all up to lvl. 6-7, and took the Wight Knight down with ease. It's weird how hooked I am on this game. RPG's never really excite me that much, especially the grinding, yet I found myself playing the game early this morning while my gf was asleep, just battling monsters to lvl. up.

Nintendo ID / PSN ID: Suburban_Sensei
3DS Friend Code:3239-5626-6674

Currently playing:
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse / Hyrule Warriors / Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)
Super Smash Bros. / LoZ: Majoras Mask 3D / Kirby...

Birdman

@suburban_sensei - Just a suggestion from me, but you may want to add a priest to your party. While they're not great for melee attacks, they're healing prowess and status-clearing spells make them vital on tougher bosses that can't be beaten with brute force.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

suburban_sensei

Thanks for the info, Birdman. Which job is probably the best to switch with? My martial artist is strong and quick, so I would like to keep him. I was thinking about getting rid of the warrior, and making myself a warrior. However, forgive me for my ignorance, but I haven't seen how to change my profession. Do I do that at the Inn as well?

Currently playing:

Birdman

@Suburban_Sensei - It's probably better to get rid of the martial artist imo, as without a shield they could die quickly in long boss battles, though apparently they're quite useful in the boss battle after the Wight Knight. You are able to change professions (and unlock new ones) later in the game. It'll be a little while though, and it could take a while to catch up by then.

Edited on by Birdman

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

suburban_sensei

@Birdman13 - So staying as a Minstrel is probably wise? Yeah, I will play a little longer and decide which occupation is more valuable. My martial artist seems to be stronger than the Warrior (they were lvl. 6, yet my martial artist was dealing nearly the same damage as my Minstrel at lvl. 11), but you make a great point about not having a shield. Thanks for the help, by the way!

Currently playing:

Birdman

@suburban_sensei - It's probably better to switch your minsterel to something else. While they can rival most classes at their own game for a while, eventually they lose out on practically everything to another class sooner or later. They're good to begin with, but not so great to continue with.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

suburban_sensei

Ah, okay, thanks for the tip. I will probably change my Warrior to a priest, and then make myself a Warrior when I get the chance.

Currently playing:

Ringo

Yeah, I've got a copy of DQIX on the way, which cost only 19 quid due to a coupon which ran out yesterday. I do look forward to playing it and will probably put 500+ hours into it.

Ringo

Crazygamerfreak

Just noticed the thread, and I have 3 level 99's, a level 90 and a grotto with metal king slimes!

Me old Backloggery
Excitebike World Rally Friend Code: 3051 8498 5866
Goldeneye 007: 1244 - 1039 - 8836
Monster Hunter Tri: Name: Curt HR 150+
There are many consequences for the simpilest things we do.
Kicks are my...

Birdman

Just a quick question: If you remove a guest from you got from canvassing, does their map leave with them?

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

sykotek

@Retronaut: That's what a rep said at the first Best Buy event I went to, that shirts were only for people who purchased the game that day. I know Nintendo didn't intend for that to happen, since they passed out shirts at the GameStop event for early attendees. I gonna bet the store manager probably put them up to it. I know that, for our rep, it was his first time, so he never did an event before. I convinced him to give everyone shirts that were there by asking him if he really thought anyone would buy a game with a bunch of nerds hanging out, loitering around the immediate area in the middle of a Best Buy, so he caved and just gave us the shirts and then I left for another Best Buy once there wasn't any more people arriving for the event. For the future though, you do realize you could simply buy a copy of the game, keep it sealed and then return it and keep the shirt, you know its not a real Best Buy promo. I would've did that had I not thought I could reason with the rep. =)

I got 3 pages of tags that day. Stupidly, I was deleting tags to make room because I didn't know better, so at the Simon Mall event, I won't be attempting to make room since I viewed my ex-coworker's DQIX(she's a Nintendo rep now) and saw she already unlocked all areas in the Inn, has over a hundred tags and the guestbook maxes out at 4 pages long before replacing names on there. My girlfriend carried around her DSi all day with Tag mode on while walking around downtown running errands for work and received 0 tags. I'm treating the upcoming Simon Mall events as a last chance to get tags, If I don't unlock all the areas in the Inn at the first event, I'm gonna go to the second event in my area too. I hope other DQIX gamers in my area feel the same way.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Birdman

I think the reason none of us are getting any tags outside of the events is due to 3 reasons: 1. DQ isn't as big in the US as it is in Japan, 2. Because it isn't as big a bunch of people figure "Well, since nobody else really has the game, why bother?" and 3. Japan is a lot more urbanized than NA, meaning more people in less space = more chances of tags. Couple #3 with DQ's popularity in Japan, and I've realized it was simply made for Japan.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.