DSi / DS Forum

Topic: Any DSi exclusive (cartridge) titles coming?

Showing 1 to 20 of 24

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sinclair_User

1. Posted:

Anybody know yet if there are any plans to release games (other than DSiware) that are DSi exclusive, maybe using the extra features the DSi has to offer? Games that wouldn't function on the DS Lite. I feel the need to justify my upgrade from DS to DSi with a few exclusive titles. :)

Sinclair_User

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

2. Posted:

There are certainly plans -- they have confirmed that there will be DSi-exclusive retail games eventually -- but it would still seem to be a long way off, and I've yet to hear mention of any particular title.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ASDFGHJKL

3. Posted:

I think Warioware uses SD card support, but Im not sure. and if I was right, it will not be exclusive

ASDFGHJKL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mizore

4. Posted:

Hopefully WarioWare will be exclusives, would like to make some camera-based microgames. :p
And would love to make more if it has SD card support.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
"If I find out that you're lying to me, I will stalk you...then freeze you solid.".

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SepticLemon

5. Posted:

From what I heard, that walking game was going to be a DSi Exclusive, but they wanted to release it early and thought it would be too quick to start releasing DSi exclusive titles just yet.

SepticLemon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

6. Posted:

Very few games, if any, will be DSi exclusive except for downloadable titles.

Developers aren't stupid enough to ignore 100+ million DS owners.

The DSi doesn't offer any extra power for games anyway, so unless an entire game revolves around the camera, there's no reason to only put it on the DSi.

The DS and the DSi are the exact same as far as power for games goes.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheezy

7. Posted:

I'd love to see some DSi Exclusive games eventually, too :)

Who Are You?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

minial100

8. Posted:

Apparently the new Zelda does. Some sort of camera suppaort I think?

DECEPTICONS SUPERIOR; AUTOBOTS INFERIOR
My BL|Come chat!|NSMBW IS HERE!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SepticLemon

9. Posted:

I hope they'll have some DSi Enhanced DS games, like being able to go online using WPA, Camera Support and better use of the new processor and RAM.

EDIT What I mean by DSi enhanced DS games are DS games that work on the DS and DS Lite, but you unlock new features when you play it on a DSi.

Edited on by SepticLemon

SepticLemon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

10. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

The DSi doesn't offer any extra power for games anyway, so unless an entire game revolves around the camera, there's no reason to only put it on the DSi.

The DS and the DSi are the exact same as far as power for games goes.

Wrong. Although all the details are still scarce, the best information out there is that the DSi has a significantly upgraded CPU (133mhz confirmed, although the exact type and other matters are still up for debate), and there's no question at all about the fact that it has 4x the ram, which is clearly something from which games could greatly benefit.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

11. Posted:

warioswoods wrote:

Wrong. Although all the details are still scarce, the best information out there is that the DSi has a significantly upgraded CPU (133mhz confirmed, although the exact type and other matters are still up for debate), and there's no question at all about the fact that it has 4x the ram, which is clearly something from which games could greatly benefit.

Yeah that's great and puppies are cute.

The extra power is for the apps and other cool DSi stuff.

It does nothing for the games.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

12. Posted:

@AlexSays

There's no basis for your statement whatsoever. If it has significantly improved core specs, and it does, then it seems quite natural to assume that DSi-only games will be eventually be able to access these. If the system allows the game's code to have full access to this additional power and RAM in order to work with images / sounds / etc, then it seems unlikely that it will bar any other use of the extra RAM and faster CPU.

DSi-specific retail games have been confirmed, they'll need to access the full specs in order to accomplish their actions with the special features like the camera or loading larger sounds files off the SD card, so it seems quite likely that they will also be able to use the increased power for other purposes.

EDIT: Also, puppies are indeed cute.

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

13. Posted:

Also, some cooking game from Ubisoft will be DSi-Enhanced
You get 10 extra recipes and you can use the camera to take a picture for your profile.

Edit- And not to be rude. But, who would of seen it coming AlexSays making a not-thought-out statment that is clearly contradicted by facts.

Edited on by metakirbyknight

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

14. Posted:

warioswoods wrote:

@AlexSays

There's no basis for your statement whatsoever. If it has significantly improved core specs, and it does, then it seems quite natural to assume that DSi-only games will be eventually be able to access these. If the system allows the game's code to have full access to this additional power and RAM in order to work with images / sounds / etc, then it seems unlikely that it will bar any other use of the extra RAM and faster CPU.

DSi-specific retail games have been confirmed, they'll need to access the full specs in order to accomplish their actions with the special features like the camera or loading larger sounds files off the SD card, so it seems quite likely that they will also be able to use the increased power for other purposes.

EDIT: Also, puppies are indeed cute.

Then once there's a DSi retail game that can't be done on the DS's hardware I'll be more than happy to let you know I was wrong.

Or if there's a DSi game that looks better than its DS counterpart, that'd work too.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pegasus

15. Posted:

I think the DSi would do quite well (and better than previous DSs) with titles specifically tailored to it. As it is, all current DS games are actually run in a down-clocked compatibility mode at the older DS's 66mhz. Here's a sort of mention of that. I've seen a better, more specific article on it elsewhere, but right now I'm unable to find that link again.

Edited on by Pegasus

Mario Forever! (free nipple suit and gratuitous butt-shots included)
PSN: MisterMumbles82

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sinclair_User

16. Posted:

Pegasus wrote:

I think the DSi would do quite well (and better than previous DSs) with titles specifically tailored to it. As it is, all current DS games are actually run in a down-clocked compatibility mode at the older DS's 66mhz. Here's a sort of mention of that. I've seen a better, more specific article on it elsewhere, but right now I'm unable to find that link again.

Thanks for that link. I had no idea the DSi had more processing muscle and more RAM. Overall, it would be silly to realease DSi games at this stage which rule out purchases from the millions of DS owners, but once the DSi has become more established in the marketplace I can't see why DSi-exclusive titles couldn't appear.

Sinclair_User

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

17. Posted:

Yes, I think it all really depends on how successful the DSi turns out to be; I'd bet money on the fact that the additional power is perfectly accessible to DSi-only games should they choose to use it, the only question is if, and when, the base of DSi users will be big enough so that it's financially sound to release your retail game as a DSi exclusive.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kawaiipikachu

18. Posted:

warioswoods wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

The DSi doesn't offer any extra power for games anyway, so unless an entire game revolves around the camera, there's no reason to only put it on the DSi.

The DS and the DSi are the exact same as far as power for games goes.

Wrong. Although all the details are still scarce, the best information out there is that the DSi has a significantly upgraded CPU (133mhz confirmed, although the exact type and other matters are still up for debate), and there's no question at all about the fact that it has 4x the ram, which is clearly something from which games could greatly benefit.

Well there are more & more everdence on the web the the DSi has the same the CPU the the previous DS models just a different number as compaired the numbers that showen the lite & phat.
The lite & phat CPU may had different numbers but they have the same 67MHZ & 33MHZ cores.
The numbers plus devoloper comments indercate the DSi CPU is the excact same.
There is nothing in the DSi that needs a faster processor.
Plus it costs a bit of money to devolope a custom CPU so why would Nintendo who is currently devoloping an entire new portable th replace the DS including new CPU & all then get there spend money on a new CPU on a stopgap like the DSi.

Plus you are wrong on the ammount of RAM. The DSi has it only has 16MB not 32MB.

Kawaiipikachu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

19. Posted:

@Kawaiipikachu

Honestly, how many times do you have to be corrected on the RAM issue before you learn basic computation? The original DS and DS Lite has only 4MB, so 16MB is indeed 4X the original RAM -- there is absolutely no gray area on that figure. You've made that argument about 5 times now, and every time you've been corrected.

The CPU is indeed 133Mhz, as was confirmed by an Opera developer who worked on the DSi browser: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338736,00.asp (read down near the bottom of the page)

The idea that "there is nothing in the DSi that needs a faster processor" is also quite wrong; again, the Opera developer was noting that, even with 133Mhz, rendering speed is severely limited, hence the time it takes to display a page. Without the bump in specs, the DSi browser would be almost as slow as the original Opera browser for the DS. Having a web browser that can load javascript / AJAX calls and render complete pages takes a hell of a lot more power than you might think; web application development is my field, I know how much of a burden is put on a computer by a modern webpage. And yes, working with real-time image enhancements also requires a faster processor.

"Plus it costs a bit of money to devolope a custom CPU so why would Nintendo who is currently devoloping an entire new portable th replace the DS including new CPU & all then get there [sic] spend money on a new CPU on a stopgap like the DSi."

Nintendo officially noted that they cancelled the separate handheld they had been working on, and there is absolutely no evidence that they are looking to put out a new portable anytime soon; again, look at their current strategy and you'll see how the DSi fits into it, not as a temporary measure, but as a crucial step towards shifting a good bit of their game sales to online distribution, in order to catch up with the iPhone and others.

Now, as to whether retail games will actually start to use that increased power, my only assertion is that it is absolutely possible -- but whether they do or do not take advantage of it depends entirely on the sales of the DSi going forward, and how viable it will be to produce retail games that cannot be played on the older DS systems.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Victoria

20. Posted:

SepticLemon wrote:

From what I heard, that walking game was going to be a DSi Exclusive, but they wanted to release it early and thought it would be too quick to start releasing DSi exclusive titles just yet.

I wish Walk With Me would have at least been DSi enhanced. Because I'm using the DSi's enhanced WPA encryption I am unable to use some of the features. Here's it's the first new 'game' I've purchased since getting the DSi, and I still can't access all of it. Way to go Nintendo.

My Art Academy artwork can be viewed here: My Gallery