3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Tetris (Original Gameboy Version)

Showing 1 to 20 of 33

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

1. Posted:

I'm a huge retro freak and download every single VC 3DS game, so of course i had to download this (I'm a huge puzzle/Tetris fan.) I have fond memories of playing this on my first Gameboy when it was released, I was very young but even to this day the music gives me chills. If I recall, I think this game is the one that was bundled with brand new Gameboy systems in 1989 when it was released. I own Tetris: Axis and Tetris Party Live so didn't really NEED to get this version, but I wanted the original just the same. What are your thoughts? Post them here..

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

2. Posted:

Never had a Game Boy as a kid, so I've never played it.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

3. Posted:

NonsensicalFox wrote:

Never had a Game Boy as a kid, so I've never played it.

Haha.. I think this game came bundled with new Gameboy systems. I remember it was the only game (along with Super Mario Land) that I could play for the longest time because I got my GB for Christmas (actually, my cousin did) and I would go over to her house every single day when I was young to play this game with her. lol.. We would take turns playing Tetris in her room with her headphones, trying to be quiet at like 3 am. hehe.. Look forward to playing this again! I downloaded it earlier today.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rawk_Hawk

4. Posted:

The original Tetris is awesome. Its one of the reasons so many people got a Gameboy and really an essential title to add to the VC. I love the monochrome graphics, and I like Music B.

"Practice hospitality. bless and do not curse." Romans 12:13-14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

5. Posted:

I'll probably download this purely out of nostalgia.
It is a good game but compared to later versions this is pretty bare bones.
Unless I'm mistaken This VC version can't be played in multiplayer Vs mode like the original.
Also there's only the two basic A and B games.
The Dsiware Tetris has alot more content and it's got online.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

6. Posted:

Yeah it was bundled with the Gameboy system. As much as I like the game it just doesnt feel the same playing it on the 3DS as it does playing it on the original Gameboy.

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

7. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

I'll probably download this purely out of nostalgia.
It is a good game but compared to later versions this is pretty bare bones.
Unless I'm mistaken This VC version can't be played in multiplayer Vs mode like the original.
Also there's only the two basic A and B games.
The Dsiware Tetris has alot more content and it's got online.

Oh, it's VERY bare bones. Just played a match.. You can't "save" a shape for later, you have to use it right then! (Which actually adds a huge level of difficulty to it.) Also, you can't instant drop the piece, you have to slowly force it down, which is something I forgot about. But still, this is the Tetris that I grew up with and I love it all the same. This is the very first Tetris game, it's how Nintendo introduced Tetris to us, and it should be remembered as the great game that it was.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

8. Posted:

If nothing else the Gameboy versions music is just about the best there is.
All those remixes I've heard over the years just don't have that same Gameboy charm.
Plus Tetris is probably the game that started the whole puzzle game craze.
It was one of the few games you could even get your parents or grandparents hooked on.
A simple and easy to understand concept and it's very addicting.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

9. Posted:

I am waiting for Columns.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mr_Trill281

10. Posted:

its good to see old school tetris back in light again im up load it soon i get my 3ds now thats "TRILL" ight everyone keep it pi...

Edited on by Mr_Trill281

Lets All Keep It "TRILL"...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TKOWL

11. Posted:

This is definitely the best version, mostly because it includes the original, non-altered, 8-bit version of the "Type-A" theme.

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iphys

12. Posted:

I have so many hilarious memories of playing this game when I was 12 and 13. I remember pulling out my Gameboy to play Tetris when I was having a hard day at school once, and the teacher threatened to take it away from me, but I said, "Not unless you're willing to fight me for it," so he thought about it for half a second and then shut his mouth and turned and walked away, lol.

I really wish they would have included the multiplayer in these VC releases though, and with download play, because aside from Tetris it was always pretty much impossible to find someone else who had the same game as you.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

13. Posted:

This might be my favorite version of the game, though maybe tied with the NES version (the grey Nintendo cart, not the Tengen version).

Me and my friend's brother used to have a running competition on how many lines we could get (on his GB), where one of us would rack up as many as possible, then leave the GB somewhere in the house where the other would find it with the new total. He always got so annoyed, as everytime he would bust out a new high, i'd immediately top it. :D

I actually still have a Game Boy with the original cart sitting on the shelf alongside the rest of my current gaming systems that i used pretty much exclusively as my "Tetris Machine".

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 12 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 1 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

14. Posted:

iphys wrote:

I have so many hilarious memories of playing this game when I was 12 and 13. I remember pulling out my Gameboy to play Tetris when I was having a hard day at school once, and the teacher threatened to take it away from me, but I said, "Not unless you're willing to fight me for it," so he thought about it for half a second and then shut his mouth and turned and walked away, lol.

I really wish they would have included the multiplayer in these VC releases though, and with download play, because aside from Tetris it was always pretty much impossible to find someone else who had the same game as you.

I have kind of the same memories around that time, too. My cousin Amy got a new Gameboy for Christmas when it came out and it came with Tetris and I used to fight her for it just to play a round lol.. So many good memories.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

15. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

This might be my favorite version of the game, though maybe tied with the NES version (the grey Nintendo cart, not the Tengen version).

Me and my friend's brother used to have a running competition on how many lines we could get (on his GB), where one of us would rack up as many as possible, then leave the GB somewhere in the house where the other would find it with the new total. He always got so annoyed, as everytime he would bust out a new high, i'd immediately top it. :D

I actually still have a Game Boy with the original cart sitting on the shelf alongside the rest of my current gaming systems that i used pretty much exclusively as my "Tetris Machine".

I have an original Gameboy, too, with Tetris, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Land (and, oddly enough, Jurassic Park) as games for it. I used to own one but this one I picked up at a Goodwill (in it's Nintendo case!) for like $10 a couple of years ago.

Edited on by grumblegrumble

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

16. Posted:

Is it odd that I mainly got this game just to listen to the 8-bit music? I've played various versions of Tetris throughout the years, but the original 8-bit tunes are the ones I love the most.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

17. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Is it odd that I mainly got this game just to listen to the 8-bit music? I've played various versions of Tetris throughout the years, but the original 8-bit tunes are the ones I love the most.

No, not odd at all! LOL.. I think the music is pretty darn addicting too. I can still hear it in my head after playing it over 24 hours ago haha! Tetris is so great. The NL review of it is up just now, they give it a pretty good score!

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

18. Posted:

Everytime I think of Tetris that theme starts playing in my head.
Like so many other tunes from the early days of gaming it's burned into my brain. :)

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
Avatar

grumblegrumble

19. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

Everytime I think of Tetris that theme starts playing in my head.
Like so many other tunes from the early days of gaming it's burned into my brain. :)

I know... I can't get that tune out of my head, either. I was playing Tetris: Axis and this one (the original) on Christmas Eve and thinking actually how easier the new Tetris games are to play since you have more options. In this version, you have very few options, but it makes for a more challenging game! If only they had included multiplayer. I think if they made these retro games upgraded with online multiplayer it would be super-fantastic... just imagine playing retro games online against people, a capability they didn't have before. Then they could charge like $2 extra if they wanted to and people would still gobble it up.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

20. Posted:

grumblegrumble wrote:

Link79 wrote:

Everytime I think of Tetris that theme starts playing in my head.
Like so many other tunes from the early days of gaming it's burned into my brain. :)

I know... I can't get that tune out of my head, either. I was playing Tetris: Axis and this one (the original) on Christmas Eve and thinking actually how easier the new Tetris games are to play since you have more options. In this version, you have very few options, but it makes for a more challenging game! If only they had included multiplayer. I think if they made these retro games upgraded with online multiplayer it would be super-fantastic... just imagine playing retro games online against people, a capability they didn't have before. Then they could charge like $2 extra if they wanted to and people would still gobble it up.

It won't work cause the Game Boy wasn't designed for online multiplayer. They'd have to put in completely new code and change the emulator, and it would no longer be considered a port.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984