Forums

Topic: SNES VC for older 3ds

Posts 181 to 200 of 211

Octane

Good job sir, I'm convinced you're just trolling at this point.

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
No I'm just a guy who is against the idea of spending $200 for a new 3ds that is only available in xl just to play 25 year old games that only has a handful of exclusive titles and offers really no other noticeable advantages over the original, honestly it's just stupid to upgrade just to play them especially when content additions to VC is so sparse.

As I said it seems that Nintendo is more or less forcing people to emulate illegally rather than putting forth a modicum of effort to satisfy the retro gaming community other than limited quantities of mini consoles that contains only a set amount of games with no way to expand! Even with the switch details of VC is next to nil.

@DarthNoctunal
It didn't stop sega from doing its 3D classic line (which we haven't even got the last several games for some odd reason) or even Nintendos own 3D line line kid Icarus and Kirbys adventure.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Octane

@GameOtaku No, but it feels like I'm banging my head against a wall at this point. Countless people have explained the difference between running a game natively and emulation, yet you keep going back to your original standpoint, even though it makes no sense at all...

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
And you just keep going back to processing power which makes absolutely no sense when you compare the 3ds and SNES. An emulator is a program, a game running natively is also just a program a program that is run using whatever is available to it.

GameOtaku

Octane

@GameOtaku You're the one who keeps going on about processing power.

Yeah, running an emulator is like running a game, but the 3DS can't run DOOM at 1080p and 60fps. Likewise, it's also unable to run some emulators; the SNES emulator in this case.

Octane

roy130390

@Octane "But Dum looks awsom and obviusly the 3DS cant run it cuz its not powerful enouf but SNES are just bits and 2d games and 3DS runs Ocarina of Taim remake with gamequb grafics so therefore it should run SNES games easily. Why cant u understand somefing that simple? U are just Nintendo Fanboys , they just lazy and feed on my tears!"

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

KingMike

@GameOtaku It's true. Probably like why byuu fixed Speedy Gonzalez for SNES in higan. He probably didn't care as much about the game itself as much as that knowing it was a sign SOMETHING was wrong with his emulator. He cared because it was an accuracy issue. I think he said as much that all original games deserve to run as they are supposed to, regardless of desirability of each game.

I'm disappointed that Square-Enix is releasing the Secret of Mana remake on VITA over 3DS or Switch but I'm not going to demand they cater to my desire to not buy another console to play it. I just accept that I can choose to buy the console or live without it.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

GameOtaku

@Octane
Blarg runs games on snes on 3ds. Why do you think a lot of people use it over upgrading to the new 3ds? I see debates still raging on other than this one on other sites as to whether or not snes games can run well on 3ds. It's not like anything I'm saying is anything that others haven't already argued.

@DarthNocturnal
That's still $150. I paid $200 for the original 3ds and I've kept it up very well since then it's just stupid to drop hundreds of dollars like a lot on this site do just to have special edition 3ds when you should just use what you have. As I said beyond snes VC there's not really much incentive to drop money on one.

@KingMike
Wasn't the whole reason why speedy is so difficult to emu was to prevent piracy? The big argument that I really see the most is "yeah it can but not as accurate as new 3ds" but that's still splitting hairs about how much accuracy is acceptable. Even if GBA VC that ambassadors got access to were gimped as far as VC features go that's still more games regardless. In fact I started this thread at the same time as the "VC should continue on 3ds thread". It would be a inconvenience to not have the snes VC on 3ds but NO! We have NO new Gameboy games (other than Pokemon), NO nes VC, NO Gamegear or NO TG-16! 20 nes VC games exclusive to wiiu like bayou Billy , Double Dragon 3 and earthbound beginnings! We got the crappy Castlevania Adventure but not Belmonts revenge, Castlevania legends or kid Dracula!

@roy130390
Baka.

GameOtaku

roy130390

@GameOtaku It's really funny that you call me that after using your own argument (sure, in a mocking way but still...).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

GameOtaku

@roy130390
Sounds stupid to me that the snes running on a 3.5 MHz processor which would be sub potato status nowadays can't be emulated on a 268 MHz dual core processor especially considering snes emu has been around since the mid 90s and there are a ton of them online in varying degrees of accuracy.

GameOtaku

KingMike

@GameOtaku No piracy was not the reason for the Speedy error. As well as the Game Boy pinball games, it was such minute details of how the CPU works that nobody had previously figured out that was why they didn't work.
While it is possible it could have been an anti-piracy check on the second to last level, it seems extremely unlikely. More like unintentional error that even the original programmers would have been unaware of since it still WORKED on real hardware.
(yes, Gimmick! waited until the final level to, in the Japanese version, put in an anti-piracy trap. But Gimmick's was clearly intentional, with the programmers making a separate screen for the death level and going to the length of encrypting the protection-checking code itself)

Also, Speedy was released in 1995. Even the earliest fan emulators running any retail game at any capability (say for example if it could even display Super Mario World at 2fps with no sound and glitched graphics) were from at least 1996, I believe. In 1995, pirating SNES games would have been on floppy disk copiers meaning the games would still be running on the actual hardware. Anti-piracy code would have been looking for physical differences between copy devices and an actual cartridge. I've seen an approximate description of Speedy's problem and it wasn't anything of that nature.

KingMike

GameOtaku

@DarthNocturnal
Disc based systems are a whole other beast from cart based ones. GameCube and Wii are closer to pcs and I could see them needing extensive cpu power for them but for what the snes was I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong but most PC based emulators are using a "catch all" for lack of a better word (boot up the emu and load from a collection), which is different from Nintendo "taco" VC (no dedicated emu program on all rather you buy the emu program and game rom at once). While the catch all would need to be designed for every possibility, the taco cut be customized specifically for the game in question. So with that in mind why can't they customize the taco for the original 3ds? Afterall they do it for every game they have put out on VC so why not? No one really says how much accuracy the original 3ds has but I'd be willing to bet it's 80-90 percent since even n3ds is not 100%.

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@subpopz
Hire m2 or Arika BAM sell for $7.99 like the sega classics! Some of you say tge 3ds can't handle 2d sprites because of its hardware BAM Shovel Knight BAM Mutant Mudds! BAM the snes is a potato compared to 3ds it's processing power is more than 50x than the snes and general rule of thumb for emu is 10x! BAM Pokemon rby was last VC on 3ds until a few weeks ago with Pokemon GS BAM last snes on new 3ds dec 2016!

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@subpopz
And all solutions that "techies" offer is to spend more money on the latest and greatest things and to disregard and through away everything else line yesterday's trash. The new 3ds and 2ds lines are a joke with only a handful of exclusives including the snes VC it's simply not a good investment over the original 3ds since you get the same experience minus one or two titles you may miss out on. I could go out tomorrow and buy a new 3ds it won't break me financially and buy a eshop card to buy the snes VC I want but then what? That's already $220 just to buy a handful of snes games! Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Or about getting cable or satellite tv when I use an antenna and get it for free and everything else comes to DVD in stores. Let's talk the switch for a moment it's a potato compared to the other choices this gen so could it really do the wonders most on this site claim it can or is it going to be like when VC was announced for 3ds and everyone waited for the snes VC to come?

GameOtaku

KingMike

So first time I actually tried a SNES game on New 3DS.
Final Fantasy IV.
And I have to wonder... are they STILL doing the sound replacement thing people said they were doing on Wii?
It seems the sound effects (I especially notice the menu cursor) being significantly quieter than the music.
Like in a few battles as well, I can barely hear the "menu open" sound effect even with the volume all the way up.

KingMike

GameOtaku

@KingMike
They may have the sound done differently than was originally intended (like how the Megaman X collection on ps2 had the music fade and then loop as opposed to a constant loop) but does that really affect your enjoyment of the game?

GameOtaku

Ralizah

I'm genuinely surprised this thread is still going.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

KingMike

I did play Super Metroid and realized that is a game I would be MUCH more comfortable playing with an original SNES controller, or a Wii Classic Controller (since the original was basically the same thing).
Luckily with extra Energy and Missile Tank powerups I could still manage to finish it.
The N3DS was just too large for me to handle with as much precision as I need for that game.
(though part of that was needing to switch my controls to get a better handle on the game. I actually for once went with the default controls, whereas on an actual SNES controller I'm used to swapping the buttons to the "standard" SNES layout of B jump/Y shoot)
Though having Select on the bottom of the controller was also a shift to adjust to, since it's also a heavily needed button.

KingMike

GameOtaku

Let's give those who put the VC games on 3ds a round of applause! They've been working so hard to put out 5 titles in the last 2 years 2 of which were just a little over 2 months ago. They deserve a vacation, make that a permanent vacation, so they can actually hire people that will go into work like I do and actually be productive!

GameOtaku

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.