Forums

Topic: SNES VC for older 3ds

Posts 181 to 200 of 227

GameOtaku

@DarthNocturnal
I'd call no VC games in the last 2 years for 3ds or close to a year for the new 3ds to be pretty lazy. Yeah they need to test it but since they were games already released its not like they need months worth of it. I can see snes games running on 3ds people make arguments that if the switch can play games like doom and wolfenstein then other games similar to them should be no trouble at all but when I say the 3ds can run shovel knight and ocarina of time 3D therefore snes games should be no trouble I get mocked and ridiculed? What sense is that it's the exact same logic!

GameOtaku

Octane

GameOtaku wrote:

but when I say the 3ds can run shovel knight and ocarina of time 3D therefore snes games should be no trouble I get mocked and ridiculed?

Eleven pages in and still no progress...

Octane

BlueOcean

It would be a piece of cake to release GBA and DS games like the Ambassador GBA games and Wario Ware Touched that have been released already because any 3DS system can run those consoles natively. SNES games on New 3DS are emulated and the original 3DS is not powerful enough to emulate SNES properly. Likely, not even New 3DS is able to emulate Super FX games. Only a really good emulator like the SNES Classic emulator and a more powerful machine like SNES Classic can properly emulate them. That or a 3GHz PC and an emulator that recreates the SNES hardware through software like Higan. SNES is one of those very unique systems.

BlueOcean

Octane

@BlueOcean But you don't understand, if it can run Shovel Knight, it can also run SNES games

Octane

BlueOcean

EDIT: I've always wanted a Super Mario 64 remaster for 3DS like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I still want it. It's one of my favourite games.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

GameOtaku

@Octane
So when people say if switch could run doom and wolfenstein then mh world and fallout should be no problem right? What's the difference in that and snes games running on 3ds?

GameOtaku

DarthNocturnal

@GameOtaku

Fun fact, there are games for Gamecube (y'know, that system from late 2001?) that DON'T run 100% correctly (if at all) on decent modern PC rigs from 2017 (via Dolphin). Or even cutting edge, high-end rigs. Because it's not just about raw horsepower.

BUT, those rigs can run Shovel Knight, so, hope springs forth eternal, yadda yadda.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Octane

@GameOtaku No. Look, the Switch is powerful for its size, but we know it cannot run the same games at the same resolution and frame rate as the PS4 or Xbox One can (and even those two differ a little). We already know DOOM takes a hit in the frame rate department, 30fps instead of 60fps, and it's also 720p on the Switch instead of 1080p (on PS4). I have no idea how Monster Hunter World performs on PS4 and Xbox One, the game isn't even out yet, so I cannot say. And even if it can in theory, it's still a matter of economics, is Capcom willing to optimise the game so that it's playable on Switch?, etc.

Anyway, I'll say it one last time. VC is different from regular games in that they're emulated, and the 3DS can't run the those [read: NES/SNES games] natively. So the question isn't whether the 3DS can handle the 16-bit games or not, it's whether it can run the emulator or not. That's a big difference. You don't see the emulator, you only see the end result. We know emulation is more difficult than it appears to be, especially for the SNES. The 3DS can't run the emulator accurately, but the new 3DS can. There's your answer, and don't bring up Shovel Knight ever again. They're not the same.

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
I think y'all are making way to big a deal as to how accurate it would run on original to new 3ds. Emulation is not 100% accurate anyway so it seems as though y'all are splitting hairs, the fortress didn't collapse in ninja gaiden on 3ds VC for example but it was still an enjoyable experience despite that so what's your point. Since they split VC so much anyway they could just get the snes games that would run accurately on 3ds (according to y'all some should but not all should be possible and that would be a little more plausible).

So how does shovel knight generate its graphics then? Obviously the 3ds has the capability to run graphics like that of the snes natively or else that would not be possible.

GameOtaku

DarthNocturnal

@GameOtaku

Shovel Knight was built for 3DS, with it's port. SNES games were not. SNES games could be ported, but that would require more time and money invested per game. That would actually work OPPOSITE of your demands; they would come out even less frequently then Wii U/ 3DS VC games did at the HEIGHT of their system's eras, and they'd probably be more expensive. Case in point; OOT 3D. It was ported to run on 3DS natively (with improvements, no less, like higher res, well, everything, and a higher framerate). Meanwhile, the original N64 version of OOT? I doubt it would run at all on even the New 3DS. First you have to teach it how it act like an N64. THEN you have to teach it to act like the system AND run a game from that system.

KingMike

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@GameOtaku

Fun fact, there are games for Gamecube (y'know, that system from late 2001?) that DON'T run 100% correctly (if at all) on decent modern PC rigs from 2017 (via Dolphin). Or even cutting edge, high-end rigs. Because it's not just about raw horsepower.

BUT, those rigs can run Shovel Knight, so, hope springs forth eternal, yadda yadda.

That's true, they're emulators. They're not always accurate.

@GameOtaku Would it blow your mind to know that a trilogy of pinball games for the ORIGINAL GAME BOY only became emulated for the first time THIS YEAR?
Yes, some Game Boy pinball games took over 20 years to get emulated correctly.
Because accuracy mattered for whatever those games were trying to do.

KingMike

GameOtaku

@KingMike
It could be those gameboy games were very obscure and no one cares to emulate them till now.

I could see snes VC running on 3ds it is more power of a processor (tge snes is more a potato than the 3ds in terms of power) just like the 3ds has to shut some things down for smash or mh4 and restart afterwards I can see the snes VC on 3ds doing the same to allow it.

GameOtaku

Octane

Good job sir, I'm convinced you're just trolling at this point.

Octane

DarthNocturnal

That processor has more it has to do though. It's not JUST running the game. It's trying to behave like something it's not. It's like acting, or another language.

As for the “just do what Smash and MH4 do“ idea, maybe not even that is enough?

GameOtaku

@Octane
No I'm just a guy who is against the idea of spending $200 for a new 3ds that is only available in xl just to play 25 year old games that only has a handful of exclusive titles and offers really no other noticeable advantages over the original, honestly it's just stupid to upgrade just to play them especially when content additions to VC is so sparse.

As I said it seems that Nintendo is more or less forcing people to emulate illegally rather than putting forth a modicum of effort to satisfy the retro gaming community other than limited quantities of mini consoles that contains only a set amount of games with no way to expand! Even with the switch details of VC is next to nil.

@DarthNoctunal
It didn't stop sega from doing its 3D classic line (which we haven't even got the last several games for some odd reason) or even Nintendos own 3D line line kid Icarus and Kirbys adventure.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Octane

@GameOtaku No, but it feels like I'm banging my head against a wall at this point. Countless people have explained the difference between running a game natively and emulation, yet you keep going back to your original standpoint, even though it makes no sense at all...

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
And you just keep going back to processing power which makes absolutely no sense when you compare the 3ds and SNES. An emulator is a program, a game running natively is also just a program a program that is run using whatever is available to it.

GameOtaku

Octane

@GameOtaku You're the one who keeps going on about processing power.

Yeah, running an emulator is like running a game, but the 3DS can't run DOOM at 1080p and 60fps. Likewise, it's also unable to run some emulators; the SNES emulator in this case.

Octane

DarthNocturnal

@GameOtaku

There is the New 2DS. Unless 3D means that much to you.

The 3D Classics games are ports. Really well done ports. That's why they run fine. And as I said, Nintendo could do the same with others. But as I also already said, that wouldn't help you get games any faster.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Sorry, this topic has been locked.