Forums

Topic: SNES VC for older 3ds

Posts 101 to 120 of 211

GameOtaku

@Pocky @Meowpheel
How can it not make sense? If the chip that the 3ds uses for its graphics is superior to the fx then it should do the same job. It's able to process data much faster than the SNES so it should clear up the slowdown (I can't believe people who want accuracy would love the slowdown in old games to be a thing).

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@Pocky
Emulate using the same assets as the 3ds. It's not like it magically exchanges chips!

GameOtaku

Octane

Cars have gears and clocks have gears, therefore I can drive around in a clock and cars can tell time. They all do the same job, because both have gears.

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
Not the same analogy. I bought Wolfenstein 3D and spear of destiny on steam, it uses an emu for it and my computer is around 3 years old so it's vastly different from the computer systems it used originally. As far as differences between the new and old model 3ds is the processor. I could show that video of SNES being run on the original again, but for all intents and purposes there was nothing wrong with its gameplay (at least if you are playing the game and not being a game historian)

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@Pocky
Thanks, I knew I had it around somewhere!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-a1IaNX2Ls
I really see no reason why Nintendo couldn't have done this themselves. If you didn't like how it played on the original model you could buy the newer one just like the case of Hyrule Warriors, playable but better on the other.

GameOtaku

Atariboy

Then contact them and tell them you see no reason why they couldn't have done it themselves, and that you expect some action.

Why are you pestering this forum about this for?

Atariboy

GameOtaku

I have contacted them, they say they greatly appreciated feedback and would pass it along, but no action has been taken yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has complained about this and won't be the last. If more people would speak out then surely they would have to do something about it. Just like I keep asking Konami for the other Castlevania Gameboy games and tg16 VC to come stateside as well as asking for the continuation of VC on all 3ds models.

GameOtaku

CosmicLight

@GameOtaku Games actually don't run accurately on old model 3DS, unofficially emulators on 3DS shows this. Unofficial emulators use Hardware rendering on O3DS which is less accurate, Nintendo's official emulator uses software rendering which is more accurate but requires the extra horse power the N3DS uses.

Unofficial emulators show that graphics are not emulated properly on O3DS. Background colors are not emulated right, paletted textures gone, you have things missing like trees or certain background layers gone, certain effects missing, inconsistent frame rate on some games, and low compatibility. Basically the O3DS has to use speed hacks just to get the games to run not so decently. Nintendo decided not to offer a cheap Snes Emulation on Older models because they have their nintendo seal of quality, they didn't want to give a horrible quality emulator to sell to consumers. They wanted to offer a more accurate emulator with things better emulated, which only the N3DS can do.

That video is blargSNES which the original developer has gave the same reasons I gave on why the O3DS is less accurate. He's more knowledgeable on emulation than most people arguing here. He doesn't care about offering accurate emulation for free stuff since he's not making a profit off of it, which is why blargSNES is substandard.

CosmicLight

GameOtaku

Honestly does no one else see it?! Ok here's the point, they are 25 year old software which were run on 25 year old hardware. Now you take that same game ROM and you want to run it on modern consoles. Why emulate when you can simply use the assets already available on the hardware?! Whatever chip the 3ds uses for its games is vastly improved over what was used in the SNES originally. Therefore you should think you could simply tell the emulation program to use the resources available to it in place of the old chipsets. As I said earlier there has probably been multiple changes even in the SNES from launch to the end of its life and the different iterations of it don't run any better or worse than the one before or after it!

@CosmicLight
Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder, if you have never played it before you would never know if a tree was missing or if the music skipped a beat. If you are focusing only on the gameplay like most people it would never be a problem. And to be frank with everyone if Nintendo really wanted to they absolutely could have made it work in someway.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Eel

Because then it's not emulation anymore.

That would be a port, remake or remaster. Which is more expensive to make and less reusable than an emulator.

It's simply not worth the trouble for them.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

GameOtaku

How so @Meowpheel? It still has to use what it's got access to. An emulator is simply a program to run roms on. You say it "HAS" to pretend to be everything tge SNES was? But that would be inefficient afterall all of you claim that the new 3ds is more capable even though it doesn't come close to the recommended processing power. So by that point why are you paying for inaccuracies on the new 3ds VC huh?

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Eel

You see, the idea is to make the games easy and cheap to produce.

Going on a game by game basis, reprogramming them, or straight up remaking them, with the intention of recreating an exact replica of the original experience, is a huge waste of time and money.

For something they intend to get a quick dirty buck out of, it's just too much effort.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

GameOtaku

Yeah throw a disclaimer that it's runs better in new 3ds and just release it on all models.

GameOtaku

CosmicLight

@GameOtaku Accuracy is not in the eye of the beholder, its either Accurate or it isn't. If you don't care about accuracy well thats a matter of opinion. Ports are harder to do than emulation, and requires a lot more time and money to do it, emulation is just easier, more accurate and better for them business wise. Porting can also introduce glitches not present in the original because its running on different hardware. Porting every single game individually will take a long time. Tell Nintendo that you don't care for accuracy, and to release SNES on O3DS and see how they'll respond, they probably won't because of substandard quality.

Edited on by CosmicLight

CosmicLight

GameOtaku

And you keep forgetting that the SNES VC on new 3ds is also inaccurate! Y'all just claim it's better so how is it not in the eye of the beholder. "Yeah it doesn't run well on new 3ds but it does better than the old?!" Or do y'all not see it that way, if it's so inaccurate why are you paying for it now?!

GameOtaku

CosmicLight

@GameOtaku It isn't cycle accurate, but its to a point where most things are emulated properly to where its not noticeable compared to the original SNES hardware. Eye of the Beholder argument doesn't work here. There are actual visible differences on whats better. Nobody would say that a tree missing, because its not being emulated properly, is better than an emulator that can emulate that tree properly. No sane person would pick an emulator that has graphics textures missing over an emulator than can emulate these things properly.

CosmicLight

GameOtaku

@CosmicLight
I'd buy an emulation like that before I'd spend $200 plus for either a cart of earthbound or an new 3ds xl. It's still inaccurate, give people the option to purchase and play on the older model and once they've upgraded then it will be closer.

It's like they threw a big middle finger to those who own older models....
Me: so Gameboy and other VC are going to continue right
Nintendo:nope, but if you give us $200 you can play 25 year old software and xenoblade chronicles that's all you really care about right?

GameOtaku

skywake

GameOtaku wrote:

@DarthNocturnal
The advance line could play Gameboy and GBC, the ds could only play the advance line since they used a similar technique as the region lockout of the SNES.

I expect you'll ignore everything I type but for the benefit of everyone else? This is not even remotely true. Lets actually list out what kinds of CPUs every console Nintendo has made contained.

GB -> Z80
VB -> NECV810
GBA -> ARM7 + Z80
DS -> ARM9 + ARM7
3DS -> ARM11 + ARM9
Switch -> ARM53 + ARM57

NES: Ricoh 2803
SNES: Ricoh 5A22
N64: NEC VR4300
GC: PPC
Wii: PPC
Wii U: PPC

If it's not the same architecture the games have to be emulated which requires more power. GB games could run on the GBA because it had a Z80 in it specifically for backwards compatibility. The DS and the GBA Micro didn't so they couldn't play original GB games. The DS can play GBA games because it has an ARM7 chip, the 3DS can play DS games because it has an ARM9 chip. Again, for backwards compatibility. And the Wii U/Wii/GC are all basically the same thing so the more powerful ones have full BC. The Wii U could run GC games but doesn't because it lacks the ports, same reason the DSi doesn't run GBA games.

GBA games on the 3DS? It was a bit clunky because they used the ARM9 chip and under-clocked it. So you weren't really running those games on "GBA hardware" but you weren't emulating them either. Because it's not emulated there aren't the same features you usually get for the VC like save states. You also lose 3DS system features like sleep mode and so on as you do when you play DS games. Obviously Nintendo decided that a half-quality release wasn't worth their time. So they didn't bother. Probably the same reason why the only "DS" games sold on the 3DS were DSiWare releases and not full DS games.

Those old Gameboy players? Those worked by physically having a Gameboy in the package. The Super Gameboy was a SNES cartridge that contained a Z80. I believe the Gameboy Player was the same deal though I'm having trouble googling that to confirm. Either way all of the stuff I mentioned so far is not emulation. It's all effectively running the game on more-or-less original hardware one way or another.

When original hardware isn't available? You have to emulate the games. The Wii emulated NES, SNES and N64 games because its PPC CPU could not understand code written for a different architecture. Same deal with the Wii U and NES, SNES, N64, GBA and DS games. Same deal with the 3DS. With emulation because it's a different architecture you need significantly more horsepower than the original system had in order to run them. A factor that only really impacted the 3DS because it's by far the least powerful of the three. They obviously weren't happy with how SNES games ran on the original 3DS, the extra CPU power of the New 3DS resolved that issue. But it's worth noting that it still didn't have N64 VC.

So there's a new question for you to go down the rabbit hole with. Why not complain that the New 3DS VC doesn't have N64 games? It's equally as valid as your whine about no SNES VC on the original 3DS. Or better yet complain about something that they could have actually done. Why did the Wii U never get GC games? Because that's one thing they could have definitely done but decided not to.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.