Forums

Topic: Should some retail DS games be released on Virtual Console?

Posts 21 to 40 of 54

Aqueous

I could see it happen in about 3-6 years and not every game would make it

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

Olaf-symbiote

I'd say they'll focus on the GB/GBC games on the 3DS VC. With the GBA games, they'll either start having them later on in the 3DS' lifespan or on the next handheld's VC. That would mean we'll see downloadable DS games on the next handheld (perhaps when it's been out for 4-5 years) or on the handheld after that. I bet the latter...

Your parlor tricks don't amuse me, boy!
My 3DS FC: 2707-1588-9486
My sister's 3DS FC: 2191-7843-7694

Geonjaha

I dont think they should. DS games can still be played on a 3DS, and to be honest if anything they should add up to GBA games (which they themselves said wouldnt be released - apart from the 10 for Ambassadors). So no I dont think they should, and no I dont think they will.

I make Pixel Art on occasion, and sometimes sell them as Game Assets.

Tare

I would love to download the tetris DS game and Metroid hunters, that's about it.

The problem is Nintendo doesn't have a network or any really official download distrubution service. PS3 you have the PS network, Xbox you have Xbox live, PC you have (a lot) Steam. The E-shop is a seperate entity from the Wii's E-shop and Dsiware.
I do hope the WiiU has this sort of feature seeing as it's not backwards compatible with a gamecube

Also if I'm not mistaken, it's not as simple as just putting the game on the E-shop right? They have to modify it.

Edited on by Tare

Thaaaaaanks for noticin' me.

ThatBlueShell

They have already confirmed that you can download Gamecube games on WiiU. But yeah I think that it would be awesome for them to release DS games on the 3DS. Maybe they will in the future.

3DS Friendcode 1332-7832-4933(Nathan)
Super excited for Animal Crossing and Mario Kart!

Chris720

I don't see the point to be honest if DS games are backwards compatible with the 3DS... but I'm sure it'll be alright if the game is small enough...

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

ThatBlueShell

Eventually they'll stop selling DSs and DS games, then what?

3DS Friendcode 1332-7832-4933(Nathan)
Super excited for Animal Crossing and Mario Kart!

Chris720

ThatBlueShell wrote:

Eventually they'll stop selling DSs and DS games, then what?

Then they'll start making more 3DS's and 3DS games...

Besides what you could buy on the eShop after several years of waiting around for Nintendo to put them up, you could probably buy off eBay now for about a fiver and still use it on your 3DS.

Also, I don't know where the whole "stop selling DSs" part comes into it... we all know that hardware line is going to be done away with eventually. :3

Edited on by Chris720

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

Birdman

xDemon720x wrote:

I don't see the point to be honest if DS games are backwards compatible with the 3DS... but I'm sure it'll be alright if the game is small enough...

I'm sure a lot of developers/publishers would be interested in re-releasing DS retail releases onto the eShop ... more customers to purchase the games, way easier than trying to find the game in a store or online (especially if the game is rare), and I'm sure there are few other reasons I can't remember right now. Also, (supposedly) the eShop has a file limit size of 512 MB, which (confirmation please) I believe is the size of a DS retail game, so that's not a problem.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

Chris720

@Birdman True, however, this is Nintendo... they might not do this...

But the rare DS games might be a good idea, especially for the guys who can't find them. But then it completely destroys the point of the DS backwards compatibility with the 3DS... I wouldn't expect to see DS games coming as downloadable titles to this system, but maybe the next console or heck, maybe even the 3DS revision. :3

My point is: They could it, but they probably won't.

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

shingi_70

seeing as how I can buy and have bought 360 games from XBLA and can buy full PSP games from PSN, Backwards compatibility is a BS excuse.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Martyn

Birdman13 wrote:

xDemon720x wrote:

I don't see the point to be honest if DS games are backwards compatible with the 3DS... but I'm sure it'll be alright if the game is small enough...

I'm sure a lot of developers/publishers would be interested in re-releasing DS retail releases onto the eShop ... more customers to purchase the games, way easier than trying to find the game in a store or online (especially if the game is rare), and I'm sure there are few other reasons I can't remember right now. Also, (supposedly) the eShop has a file limit size of 512 MB, which (confirmation please) I believe is the size of a DS retail game, so that's not a problem.

512MB is a lot more then a lot of DS titles!
Mario Party DS is 30MB, Mario + Luigi - 62MB,
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem - 16MB and so on!

Martyn

grumblebuzzz

I think it's a little soon for it. I'd say with the next Nintendo handheld, it's a very probable possibility though considering how many people still think of the 3DS as another iteration of the DS family. I predict the next Nintendo handheld will be designed much differently and possibly not have DS card support, making downloadable DS games probable.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

TingLz

shingi_70 wrote:

seeing as how I can buy and have bought 360 games from XBLA and can buy full PSP games from PSN, Backwards compatibility is a BS excuse.

You seem to forget one thing: Nintendo is not Sony or Microsoft

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon Rank: A for AMAZING!
Fates Castle ID: 15449-70849-36123-61987 (Revelation)

My Splatloggery

Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Kholdstare

Kinda like the way PS2 and PS1 are on the PlayStation Store?
I think it'd be a good idea but not sure if it'd be possible because were talking about Ninty here and there is still no known file size limit for the eShop.

☆FRIEND CODES☆

PSN ID: Kholdstare77

3DS
1289 8322 9889

Martyn

grumblebuzzz wrote:

I think it's a little soon for it. I'd say with the next Nintendo handheld, it's a very probable possibility though considering how many people still think of the 3DS as another iteration of the DS family. I predict the next Nintendo handheld will be designed much differently and possibly not have DS card support, making downloadable DS games probable.

Maybe in a couple of years when DS games aren't as easy to find. They probably want to exhaust all the GB, GBC, GBA games they can release first...in that order

Martyn

Late

I can still get DS games from every shop but I wouldn't mind buying them from eShop especially when they become harder to find.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer” ~ Satoru Iwata

NNID: LateXD
3DS FC: 3566-1647-7196
My Backloggery

Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Captain_Hookey

i want game-cube games (only playable with the circle-pad-pro).

Edited on by theblackdragon

makes $10 an hour for 6 hours at your local chatroom...

CanisWolfred

Retro_Hype wrote:

i want game-cube games (only playable with the circle-pad-pro).

I want Atari games (only playable with the 3DS Joystick). That's the only way to play, ba-by!

Edited on by theblackdragon

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic