3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Reflections on beating Zelda II for the first time

Showing 61 to 80 of 94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JayArr

61. Posted:

This topic is making me miss Pink Flamingo Kool-Aid. I used to smash that when I was a playing Zelda II.

also, a shout-out to Purplesaurus Rex and Sharkleberry Fin

Edited on by JayArr

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moorpheel

62. Posted:

I... I really think I'll just wait unitl we get restore points to continue playing. Last time i played I had problems with the horse head. Yeah... which is strange because I have defeated it before

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

63. Posted:

Chicken_Brutus wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Adam wrote:

No, you more than once said something like "you lovers of the game." Unless you think Chicken Brutus is some ethereal entity encompassing all souls who love Zelda 2, you are changing your statement. And furthermore, it's not like he played 100 hours straight. He played it a lot back in the day, didn't get it. He came back to it, "got it", and got through it without any "misery." It's different. The game doesn't always make sense to newcomers.

My point is he played it a lot back in the day and didnt get it.

Your point is that my opinion of anything I experienced at age 10 should remain unchanged when I'm 30?

I have a feeling I'll be disappointing you on many fronts, then...

No, only that you played it a lot when you were 10 despite the fact that you didnt like it that much. I dont know what the reason for that is, but if it is only because you knew the first zelda game was very good, then that wouldn't really reflect much success on the second game by itself. My question is - If that game had been the first Zelda game or part of another series, would you have bothered to go back to it at 30 and give it another chance? Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

64. Posted:

Are we expected to have Restore Points implemented some time...?

I think that could ruin games like this since every time you are about to level up you can just save state it and then give it a few tries, completely circumventing the way the game is supposed to work.

Of course, if someone has so much trouble with a game that he doesn't think there is any other way for him to beat it, you do what you have to do.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

65. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Are we expected to have Restore Points implemented some time...?

I think that could ruin games like this since every time you are about to level up you can just save state it and then give it a few tries, completely circumventing the way the game is supposed to work.

Of course, if someone has so much trouble with a game that he doesn't think there is any other way for him to beat it, you do what you have to do.

Yea, its coming for every NES game with the GBA games. It ruins most of the games in all honesty, but I suppose there isnt much to be done.

Edited on by theblackdragon

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Meta-Rift

66. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

No, only that you played it a lot when you were 10 despite the fact that you didnt like it that much. I dont know what the reason for that is, but if it is only because you knew the first zelda game was very good, then that wouldn't really reflect much success on the second game by itself. My question is - If that game had been the first Zelda game or part of another series, would you have bothered to go back to it at 30 and give it another chance? Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two.

I don't understand your logic here. Zelda II would probably be more popular if it wasn't held back by players' expectations from the first game.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

67. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

No, only that you played it a lot when you were 10 despite the fact that you didnt like it that much. I dont know what the reason for that is, but if it is only because you knew the first zelda game was very good, then that wouldn't really reflect much success on the second game by itself. My question is - If that game had been the first Zelda game or part of another series, would you have bothered to go back to it at 30 and give it another chance? Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two.

I really don't understand your logic at all. It would be sound, I guess, if Zelda II was the only game I ever decided to re-evaluate, but as a professional cough cough video game reviewer that obviously can't be the case. Also the fact that I linked to a similar post about my experiences re-evaluating Metroid should have been a pretty good tipoff that the Zelda name is not the only thing that would make me want to try a game again.

I played the game many times as a kid for the same reason most of us played games we weren't good at: we wanted to get good at them.

I also don't understand the final part of your comment at all. "Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two." I like the use of your word "thus," there, but I don't think it's the word you're really looking for, as your conclusion doesn't follow logically from the premise at all.

We all have series we enjoy, or actors, or writers, or artists or what have you. And we may find our opinions of their various works growing the more time we spend with them. That doesn't mean "thus" their first work must be their best, on the assumption that it kept us coming back for the rest of the installments. I'm having trouble believing you aren't getting lost in your own loose reasoning here, but that's probably destined to happen when you try to explain to somebody that their reflections on a particular experience are erroneous, and you're there to helpfully correct them.

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

68. Posted:

Kinda stuck in the swamp dungeon (if that's what it's called). Hate restarting from Zelda's sleeping place to make my way back and around, and there's boulders in the way for the short cut which I believe you need Handy Gloves or something like that (some fat lady told me it's in the swamp or something) which I assume is used to "life" those boulders out of the way.

Shield magic is my best friend though :3

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

69. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

Kinda stuck in the swamp dungeon (if that's what it's called). Hate restarting from Zelda's sleeping place to make my way back and around, and there's boulders in the way for the short cut which I believe you need Handy Gloves or something like that (some fat lady told me it's in the swamp or something) which I assume is used to "life" those boulders out of the way.

Shield magic is my best friend though :3

The gloves can break stone, but only in the side-scrolling segments. For the overworld boulders you'll need the hammer, which is located in a cave maze in the lower left portion of the map. I think the only thing you need before you get it is the candle, but I could be mistaken!

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

70. Posted:

Chicken_Brutus wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

No, only that you played it a lot when you were 10 despite the fact that you didnt like it that much. I dont know what the reason for that is, but if it is only because you knew the first zelda game was very good, then that wouldn't really reflect much success on the second game by itself. My question is - If that game had been the first Zelda game or part of another series, would you have bothered to go back to it at 30 and give it another chance? Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two.

I really don't understand your logic at all. It would be sound, I guess, if Zelda II was the only game I ever decided to re-evaluate, but as a professional cough cough video game reviewer that obviously can't be the case. Also the fact that I linked to a similar post about my experiences re-evaluating Metroid should have been a pretty good tipoff that the Zelda name is not the only thing that would make me want to try a game again.

I also don't understand the final part of your comment at all. "Your answer may well be yes, but if the answer is by any means no, then that shows the game wouldn't have been much of a success without the first; thus making it the inferior of the two." I like the use of your word "thus," there, but I don't think it's the word you're really looking for, as your conclusion doesn't follow logically from the premise at all.

Then I apologize for that asumption, this doesnt apply to you.

If the answer was yes - which obviously isnt the case for you, and you only returned to the game later because of your love for the series as I said, then quite obviously you wouldn't be playing it right now; you would have stopped as soon as you realised you didnt enjoy it.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

71. Posted:

I don't see how it applies to anyone. Anyone can not like a game, then come back to it for any reason whatsoever, and find out his opinion has changed. I have done this with movies, books, music, etc. — not just games. No reason to assume anyone who plays it again just because it is a Zelda game will not enjoy it and will stop playing.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

72. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Anyone can not like a game, then come back to it for any reason whatsoever, and find out his opinion has changed.

He's right. I used to despise the game InFamous on PS3 with a passion Got it free via the PSN outage. Found it to be boring, repetitive, or even "a poor attempt at being an Assassins Creed". Voice acting in the beginning killed me and the graphics kept popping in giving me a "headache". I was exaggerating something that didnt even matter and I expected too much from too little. I went back weeks later and to this day it's not only one of my favorite PS3 titles but I'm 30% away from Platinum'ing it.

@Chicken Brutus
So when are you going to do your reflections on beating Mega Man 8? :D

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

73. Posted:

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

So when are you going to do your reflections on beating Mega Man 8? :D

Keep an eye on my youtube channel...I'm strongly considering a half-blind Let's Play. :)

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

74. Posted:

That happened to me with Star Fox Adventures. I remember hating it and wanted to exchange it for Mario Party 4 (I got my GCN in 2003 and Best Buy had a special offer you can choose one of 4 games for free and I chose Star Fox). What I did was suck it up and play the game that fall (cause I got it in Spring time- busy with Sapphire and other games) and it turns out I really liked the game. All without using guides to beat it :)

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

75. Posted:

Adam wrote:

I don't see how it applies to anyone. Anyone can not like a game, then come back to it for any reason whatsoever, and find out his opinion has changed. I have done this with movies, books, music, etc. — not just games. No reason to assume anyone who plays it again just because it is a Zelda game will not enjoy it and will stop playing.

Theres nothing wrong with doing so. I'm just pointing out that in the case I described, the only reason for coming back would be influence from other Zelda games, not the game itself - therefore reflecting badly on the independant game.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

76. Posted:

That doesn't reflect badly on the game if the player ends up liking it. It has nothing to do with the game at all. It's a problem with the title, though in this case you are defining a "problem" whose result is someone possibly finding out he likes a game. I don't see how this reflects badly on anything. It is natural for someone to want to come back to a game years later and try to do better, whether he liked it or not the first time, and see if the game would be better after growing older and wiser in the art of stabbing little monster blobs in the face (or just video games in general).

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Moorpheel

77. Posted:

Adam wrote:

Are we expected to have Restore Points implemented some time...?

I think that could ruin games like this since every time you are about to level up you can just save state it and then give it a few tries, completely circumventing the way the game is supposed to work.

Of course, if someone has so much trouble with a game that he doesn't think there is any other way for him to beat it, you do what you have to do.

I would kind of only use them for the harder battles as a last resort. Using them too much would ruin the game (imagine lvl 4 link at the last battle).

Moo

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

78. Posted:

Adam wrote:

That doesn't reflect badly on the game if the player ends up liking it. It has nothing to do with the game at all. It's a problem with the title, though in this case you are defining a "problem" whose result is someone possibly finding out he likes a game. I don't see how this reflects badly on anything. It is natural for someone to want to come back to a game years later and try to do better, whether he liked it or not the first time, and see if the game would be better after growing older and wiser in the art of stabbing little monster blobs in the face (or just video games in general).

sigh It reflects badly on first impressions, and not to follow the cliche 'first impressions are everything' but not having good first impressions means the games success was limited - quite rightly; look at all the people who hated it ;)

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Late

79. Posted:

I'm playing Zelda 2 on my 3DS about twice a week. It's not as bad as I have heard but it is really hard and that's what I think makes it seem bad. I hear a lot of people saying it's bad but when I ask them if they ever got far in the game, they answer no.

I myself haven't gotten far yet, only went through first two dungeon but I can't say that I don't like it. After dying I simply try again. I died to the second boss at the same time as I made the final blow but the day after I went and killed that guy with only 1/3 of my energy when entering the room.

I still have most of the game to play but I started to play OoT3D again so it may need to stay back for a little time but I'm sure I'll beat it someday.

3DS FC: 3566-1647-7196
My Backloggery
My Pullblox puzzles
Be kind and feed my Pokémon :)

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1647-7196

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

80. Posted:

The game was successful, and this thread is about personal enjoyment of the game, not this vaguely defined "success." No one is hating on the game here but you, so it would be more apt to say, Look at all the people who don't hate the game. You are beating a dead horse.

Untitled

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.