3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: "Radar Mission" Impressions

Showing 1 to 9 of 9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BulbasaurusRex

1. Posted:

I think this is a pretty good, underrated gem. I haven't tried the "B" game yet, but I'm very impressed with the "A" game. It's a nice twist on Battleship with some interesting additions. I particularily like the airplanes. It also turns it into a 3 level semi-story mode, and the Restore Point allows me to just replay the 2nd and/or 3rd levels when I lose instead of having to start all over. It's a shame that the 2 player mode had to be disabled, though. I'm gueesing that all games that supported the link cable will suffer a similar fate.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
...
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iphys

2. Posted:

Oh, that's cheap that they're not including video link over wi-fi.

Lol, so is this a better value for your money than Steel Diver?

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chozo85

3. Posted:

I haven't purchased this game on eshop but do have it in cartridge form and have owned it for twenty years!

I think its a really underrated game. The first game is one of the best computerised versions of the battleship boardgame that I've played. Although there are only 3 different levels, there are lots of variables such as choice of commander, aircraft, lucky shot etc. Game B is a really enjoyable little arcade submarine shooter. Its nothing fancy but fun to revisit and try and beat your highscore. I actually think this one has aged better than a lot of Game Boy games and well worth checking out if you are a fan of the boardgame.

Chozo85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

4. Posted:

This game is exactly as I remember playing it when I originally received it (used to have the cattridged but traded it way back then)and it still rocks! I love all the extra stuff that ifferntiates it from Battleship. Been playing it for a while now, and I've got 2 of the comannders beat in mode A, the guy with the mustache and the geeky dude, (Those are kinda easy and normal difficulty settings) but I just can't seem the get the last guy beaten. I've tried every strategy I could think of on each board size, even turning off the extras for him, and i still get beaten by the 2nd or 3rd stage. Mode B can sometimes be a pain, too, but not as much.

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tanookisuit

5. Posted:

I like Chozo had the real cart (sold my GB stuff off earlier this year.) It's a fantastic Battleship clone with some explosive limited big hits (star shots) that can make things get ugly fast. Configuring difficulty of the AI and arrangements of ships keep it kind of fresh. Game B I really loved as it was like the torpedo runner game in Steel Diver. You can buy to upgrade a few items to your sub (double shot, double turn speed, etc) and you basically surface to fire or stay down and cover your butt (turns faster on surface but you can get popped.) You go around and take down their fleet before their sub gets yours and it can be fairly moderate to downright evil depending on challenge level you set. It's quite worth the $3 if you're into that.

tanookisuit

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BulbasaurusRex

6. Posted:

DaveGX wrote:

This game is exactly as I remember playing it when I originally received it (used to have the cattridged but traded it way back then)and it still rocks! I love all the extra stuff that ifferntiates it from Battleship. Been playing it for a while now, and I've got 2 of the comannders beat in mode A, the guy with the mustache and the geeky dude, (Those are kinda easy and normal difficulty settings) but I just can't seem the get the last guy beaten. I've tried every strategy I could think of on each board size, even turning off the extras for him, and i still get beaten by the 2nd or 3rd stage. Mode B can sometimes be a pain, too, but not as much.

You could set the restore point after you beat each level.

If you really want to cheat, you can set the restore point just after the fleets are arranged, then if you lose, check and note the position of his ships (B button on Game Over screen), load the restore point, and annialate him with no misses.:D

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
...
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

7. Posted:

I really like the music in the Battleship-esque game. I don't have it myself, but I will look out for it and eventually purchase it

(it's only $3 anyway- price of a small Frozen Hot Chocolate from Dunkin Donuts lol)

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

8. Posted:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

This game is exactly as I remember playing it when I originally received it (used to have the cattridged but traded it way back then)and it still rocks! I love all the extra stuff that ifferntiates it from Battleship. Been playing it for a while now, and I've got 2 of the comannders beat in mode A, the guy with the mustache and the geeky dude, (Those are kinda easy and normal difficulty settings) but I just can't seem the get the last guy beaten. I've tried every strategy I could think of on each board size, even turning off the extras for him, and i still get beaten by the 2nd or 3rd stage. Mode B can sometimes be a pain, too, but not as much.

You could set the restore point after you beat each level.

If you really want to cheat, you can set the restore point just after the fleets are arranged, then if you lose, check and note the position of his ships (B button on Game Over screen), load the restore point, and annialate him with no misses.:D

Hmm.....but is there any actual garuntee the AI will place the exact same ship arrangements and fire all/most the same spots all over again? Other than that, i don't know that it'd matter much because he always shoots diagonals and they're hard to predict.

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BulbasaurusRex

9. Posted:

DaveGX wrote:

BulbasaurusRex wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

This game is exactly as I remember playing it when I originally received it (used to have the cattridged but traded it way back then)and it still rocks! I love all the extra stuff that ifferntiates it from Battleship. Been playing it for a while now, and I've got 2 of the comannders beat in mode A, the guy with the mustache and the geeky dude, (Those are kinda easy and normal difficulty settings) but I just can't seem the get the last guy beaten. I've tried every strategy I could think of on each board size, even turning off the extras for him, and i still get beaten by the 2nd or 3rd stage. Mode B can sometimes be a pain, too, but not as much.

You could set the restore point after you beat each level.

If you really want to cheat, you can set the restore point just after the fleets are arranged, then if you lose, check and note the position of his ships (B button on Game Over screen), load the restore point, and annialate him with no misses.:D

Hmm.....but is there any actual garuntee the AI will place the exact same ship arrangements and fire all/most the same spots all over again? Other than that, i don't know that it'd matter much because he always shoots diagonals and they're hard to predict.

If you do it after the fleets are arranged, the AI's fleet arrangement will be exactly the same (I've tried it). The shots the AI fires will be different, but it would be next to impossible (completely impossible without Lucky Hit on) for it to beat you when you know exactly where to shoot. It's not much fun when you can guarentee victory, though. I'd just set the Restore Point at the beginning of each level (before fleet arangement) to keep it challenging without having to start all over again when you lose.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
...
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912