Forums

Topic: Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow

Posts 521 to 539 of 539

Eel

It would be silly of them not to, considering it would be basically easy money. (They already have the emulator and the games would require little to no extra work, and they're guaranteed to sell millions).

But well, this is the pokemon company, their decisions don't always make sense. One never knows what to expect.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

canucksfan989

Well they have Soulsilver and Heartgold i know the graphics aren't exactly like the gbc versions for the nostalgia factor but those 2 games existing are probably why we won't get G/S/C

No crystal and this is probably a longshot but it would be cool to see Crystal remade as a 3DS game like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

canucksfan989

KingMike

Now I'm not sure but I would think Game Freak would rather you give them $12 or whatever to them for a VC download than to give $50+ to some ebay seller for a loose HGSS.

Or maybe not. Maybe they want to "surprise" us again.

KingMike

nf_2

@canucksfan989 At this point any copies of HGSS are more likely to be second hand copies, i.e. Nintendo and The Pokemon Company won't make money off of these sales. Plus, it's not like those games are moving tons of units at this point (although I wouldn't be surprised if they were). Releasing the originals on the VC is easy money and it wouldn't really affect the sale of anything else. In fact, the release of RBY on the VC coincided with a pretty significant increase in sales in other Pokemon titles if I recall (as did Pokemon Go).

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

GameOtaku

I don't really consider rby on 3ds as VC .

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@Meowpheel
They are not VC, no save states and they have been enhanced to include Pokemon bank support and Internet trading.

GameOtaku

shaneoh

GameOtaku wrote:

@Meowpheel
They are not VC, no save states and they have been enhanced to include Pokemon bank support and Internet trading.

Save states were disabled to prevent cheating, it still uses the same engine as the other gameboy games on the eshop. Pokebank was made to read the RBY data, it's a one way transfer like BW/B2W2, once the 'mon is sent to the bank, it isn't going back. Trading between two 3DS consoles is the only "new" feature, but it would require more work done to the emulation engine than the game in order for the games to connect via the infrared sensor.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Eel

The changed features are meaningless, considering it's sold using the Virtual Console name regardless.

But hey, I do keep them in a different folder that than the other VC games.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Sisilly_G

I think that the G/S/C rerelease delay is mainly due to the current momentum for Sun/Moon. It would be unwise for The Pokémon Company to advertise a AU$13 sale in preference to a AU$60-$70 sale (particularly considering how significant a portion of the fanbase is comprised of Gen I and/or II imperialists). R/B/Y were rereleased at a time when there was a significant drought between main series releases (i.e. two years between the releases of OR/AS and S/M, which I believe is the longest delay that we have had since the gap between Emerald and Diamond/Pearl).

I have a feeling that G/S/C will be released at some point after the release of the much rumoured third instalment of Sun/Moon.

I hypothesise that another reason for the delay is so that Pokémon Bank can support the Gen II games from the get go (and I have a feeling that the upcoming patch, which will accommodate the Gen I and VII games, will also be able to support the Gen II games, whenever they happen to be released).

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

retrofan1

Pokemon yellow for life!

Please do not use the forums to advertise.-Meowpheel

Edited on by Eel

retrofan1

gcunit

I'd like some input on a first-time experience of Pokémon Yellow. Bear in mind, bar about 5 hours logged in Pokémon Y I'm a complete noobémon.

Playing it on the 3DS VC version, there's an electronic manual, but it's fairly light on detail, so I've just been playing through it very organically.

I started, worked my way through Viridian Forest, beating all the trainers there and taking their money. I used all the money gained to buy Pokéballs, but was **** outta luck when trying to catch Mon with them. Even after wearing some of them down in battle, they'd still escape when I tried to catch them. I ended up spending all my money and only catching a Pidgey and a Caterpie.

So then I get to Brock's Gym with Pikachu nicely levelled, a weaker Pidgey and an even weaker Caterpie. Needless to say Brock kicked me outta there with my head between my ass. I tried going back through Viridian Forest to level up and get some more money, but I couldn't fight the trainers anymore, and all the wild battles were with level 3-4 Mon, so levelling up was gonna take ages, and it wasn't like I could catch any different Mon that might be more effective against Brock's rocks because I had no money to buy Pokéballs.

So I decided to just keep fighting Brock as beating his first Mon seemed to be the most efficient way of levelling up. Beat him eventually.

I'm just a bit surprised that I've had to grind quite so blatantly so early on and that the game hasn't made it a bit clearer how I should have approached these opening stages.

When people played this the first time over back in the 90s, did the manual explain the different Pokémon types a bit more so that you'd work out which Mon to target before facing Brock, or was everyone stumped? (I appreciate this issue seems confined to Yellow and that Red/Blue played out differently)

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Eel

When I first played blue as a kid, I had a level 36 Blastoise before Misty simply because I didn't know what to do and spent most of my time lost.

It's a learning process.

For example, you could have visited the route next to viridian city and catch yourself a Mankey or a Nidoran, they both learn attacks super effective against Brock's pokemon.

Bloop.

Buizel

@gcunit I think it's a mix of factors. There is a lot to learn in Pokemon, and for many of us in the 90s / early 2000s stuff like the anime probably helped us along. But also Yellow is a particularly difficult game - definitely a step up in difficulty over Red and Blue.

At least 2'8".

Tyranexx

I almost always used Mankey/Primeape on my teams in Yellow. That first time through without knowing any better can be quite the grind. I think Pikachu was a pretty crazy level when I battled Brock during my first ever run IIRC.

I did know a thing or two about how the games worked before playing Gen 1 since I played Pokemon Gold (Gen 2) first. Ooooh boy was that a learning experience....

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

gcunit

@Delibheel @Buizel @ReaderRagfihs @Blitzenexx Thank you all for your input - glad to see I haven't totally ballsed up somewhere then and missed something.

Without any specific spoilers, as I go through the game will I come across sources of information that help teach me about all the different battle moves, what works well against what etc., or do you simply learn by playing and experimenting?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Eel

Most of the time the game expects you to experiment and learn. But sometimes you do get hints, like when you talk to the guide guy inside every gym.

There’s also some houses with books and npcs that teach you about things like status effects and catching tips.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

If I recall correctly, there's a Trainer's School in Viridian City. I'd check that out if you haven't already.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

KingMike

As to beating Brock... see the manual was originally written for Red/Blue.
In that game, both Squirtle and Bulbasaur had a double-advantage over Brock, but the manual said that Charmander can still beat him with just a bit more grinding (as even though Brock's Pokemon resist Fire, their Special is so bad it could still hit reasonably).
I believe the intended progression in Yellow was for players to find a Mankey, I think on Route 22. Unlike Red and Blue, Mankey learns a Fighting move (Low Kick?) at a low Level (9, I think), which was good against Brock's Pokemon.

KingMike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.