BurningSonic

My Pokemon Yellow team was
Pikachu
Pidgeot
Primeape
Nidoqueen
Snorlax
Vaporeon
I remember beating the Elite 4 with my Pokemon in their mid 40s.

Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489
Fire Emblem Fates Castle 16401-82620-88445-74773
My Mario Maker Levels
The Burnloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489

Yoshi

BurningSonic wrote:

I remember beating the Elite 4 with my Pokemon in their mid 40s.

Wow, that's quite impressive. I mean, it's really hard to win with Pokemon that old.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

KingMike

I know, I needed my Pokemon ready for social security before they could beat the Elite 4.

KingMike

Tyranexx

My Yellow Team:
Pikachu
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Primeape
Alakazam

Blue:
Charizard
Raichu
Victreebel
Gyarados
Alakazam
Primeape

The only thing I recall really disliking from the original games was that you could completely miss Pokemon when trying to catch them.

My Blue team is at level 100, but that was due to exploiting a certain famous glitch.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Late

Speaking of missing, you can miss with almost every move in R/B/Y even when the moves accuracy is supposed to be 100%. The only exception is Swift which skips the accuracy check all together. Gen 1 is so full of little bugs/glitches/sloppiness that at times it's not even funny. But somehow I still enjoy them more than the remakes for GBA. I always found there was something wrong with Gen 3 and I'm still not sure what it is.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

komodo182

Gen 3 is the only gen I haven't played really. Just never got into it

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

KingMike

Trinexx wrote:

The only thing I recall really disliking from the original games was that you could completely miss Pokemon when trying to catch them.

From what I read "missing" a Pokemon in Gen 1 is technically the equivalent to a Pokemon escaping the ball on the first shake in later games.

KingMike

shaneoh

KingMike wrote:

Trinexx wrote:

From what I read "missing" a Pokemon in Gen 1 is technically the equivalent to a Pokemon escaping the ball on the first shake in later games.

If I remember correctly, missing completely was limited to the legendaries, you had to freeze or paralyze them first.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Tyranexx

shaneoh wrote:

If I remember correctly, missing completely was limited to the legendaries, you had to freeze or paralyze them first.

I also recall this being an issue in the Safari Zone. Throwing bait to Pokemon seemed to make the Pokeballs miss more.

...It's been quite a while since I've played them, so I may be off the mark there.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Eel

Bait makes the Pokemon more likely to stay in the battle, but less likely to stay in the ball.

Rocks do the opposite, they make them easier to catch but more likely to escape the battle in their turn.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

LaserdiscGal

Morpheel wrote:

I still tap the A button repeatedly to make them Pokemon stay in the ball.

Sometimes....

I always heard up + Select + B growing up, I'll be the first to admit I still do it instinctively sometimes.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Tyranexx

Morpheel wrote:

I still tap the A button repeatedly to make them Pokemon stay in the ball.

Sometimes....

I'm guilty of doing this as well. XD Once in a blue moon I also do this when playing a more modern title. I didn't have much internet access until junior high, so the A button method was the only one I had heard of. By the time I heard of some of the more complex "tricks", I knew they were bogus.

...This thread has made me realize these games are WAY more buggy and archaic compared to the modern games. There's also less filler, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

shaneoh

Trinexx wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

I also recall this being an issue in the Safari Zone. Throwing bait to Pokemon seemed to make the Pokeballs miss more.

...It's been quite a while since I've played them, so I may be off the mark there.

Yeah I was treating the Safari Zone a bit differently as they aren't your catches

I still hold a direction + B when catching a 'mon.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

KingMike

@Santa: That's the erase game code.
I don't think missing was as much exclusive to the legendaries as it was only the legendaries (I think) had a low enough catch rate for that to be a normal occurrence. I THINK it's possible (though again, extremely low odds) to catch legendaries without status (I know TwitchPlaysPokemon did it, eventually, after probably a day or so of trying for Mewtwo. Though it was in a ROM hack, but I don't think the catch rate was altered.)
Thing was, I think gen 1 catch rate gave a fixed rate on Pokemon with status (so any Pokemon would have a 1/6 rate, I think, while sleeping). Which is probably why people said you had to inflict a status on them, because it made SO much more likely to hit. (during a TPP game of Crystal, someone said in that gen SLP would only raise the catch rate like half a percent)

From what I read, the game has actually decided the outcome as soon as the ball is thrown, the animation is just for suspense.

KingMike

Eel

I remember catching an Articuno on the first turn once in Blue. I don't remember what kind of ball it was, but I think it was a normal pokeball.

It never happened again though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Late

I have caught many legendary Pokémon without inflicting status effects. As KingMike said, the outcome is decided before the animation and in Gen 1 the amount of movements of the Pokéball depends on the catch rate so if you are against a legendary that has no status effects, as soon as the ball doesn't miss, you know you got it. In later games they made it so that the ball moves more randomly to keep the suspense.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

BurningSonic

Do you think you'll be able to post screenshots on miiverse with these games because the other main pokemon games (XY, ORAS) haven't been able to.

Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489
Fire Emblem Fates Castle 16401-82620-88445-74773
My Mario Maker Levels
The Burnloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-6828-7489

Bass_X0

@BurningSonic: If you can with other VC games, there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to here.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Eel

Well, you can't with the other Pokemon VC games.

Or, at least, the TCG one.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.