Forums

Topic: Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow

Posts 101 to 120 of 539

Eel

It could be, since if the amazon gave them a lower price and then they ended up costing more, they'd have to give out the preorders for their original, lower, amount.

But of course, we don't know.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KingMike

Late wrote:

The irritating thing is that some TMs + Porygon are only available through Game Corner and if I have to choose between playing in Game Corner and defeating Pokémon League over and over again, I choose the latter. It was such a pain to beat Elite Four around 20 times and then go to Game Corner and convert my money to game coins by talking to the same person over and over.

I wonder if defeating Elite Four over 20 times would take as long as gambling (with a fair amount of safety save-scumming).
At first I thought Dratini was Game Corner exclusive. You can also catch them by fishing in one of the Safari Zone areas.
Too bad gen 1 has no proper Dragon attack moves.

KingMike

NateKimble

@DarthNocturnal: The only new Wii U game was Twilight Princess HD that I didn't know about. Knew about Amiibo Festival, Ultra Smash, Pokkén Tournament, Star Fox Zero, and Mighty No. 9. Don't get me wrong so happy Nintendo decied to make Twilight Princess for Wii U instead of Nintendo 3DS. Other than that I knew about mostly all of the Wii U titles that were announced.

NateKimble

Late

@KingMike: Well, I'll let that for you to try out. It doesn't take that long to defeat Elite Four but it's just really boring. I gambled once in a while but it was just as boring. In theory you just need to get the biggest payout (300 coins) 22 times to get a Porygon and I feel it might not be that hard once you figure out the timing. If the Game Corner game was Voltorb Flip like in HG/SS I would've gotten my coins that way. That game is actually addicting, is more skill based and the music in HG/SS Game Corner is really good.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

KingMike

Another thing I forgot about is that in gen 1 waking from sleep alone uses a turn (as I think being released from bind, etc) so it's very spammable.
I recall I had a Gloom and wondered how a little Poliwag was able to sleep-lock me and very slowly take away all my health with its piddly little attack. And I was then informed about gen 1's crappy AI before Twitch Plays Pokemon created an infamous example out of it with its Venomoth vs. Dragonite battle.
(and topping that a year later when they played a hard ROM hack, being ready to abuse as many glitches as possible. Against Blaine, when his Charizard used Rage and missed, they were already to celebrate victory despite their only Pokemon left being a Muk like 30 levels under and with only about 8 HP left, and still having a Rapidash (infinite Agility spam) left to fight.)

KingMike

Eel

In blue, my favorite way to beat Erika and her gym trainers was using a freshly caught bellsprout.

With the exception of one tangela and an exeggxute, none of the Pokemon in that gym can damage a plant/poison Pokemon, because they'll try and try to poison it (because poison is super effective agaisnt grass) and keep failing.

To bad that was fixed in yellow

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

IceClimbers

@DarthNocturnal: That's where Mankey comes in.

Now that I think about it, doesn't the game let you go too far left of Viridian City at the beginning of the game, allowing you to trigger the rival battle that's supposed to happen on your way to Victory Road?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Eel

That battle is supposed to happen early on too, in yellow the result of that battle (and the first one) helps the game decide the evolution of Blue's Eevee.

Bloop.

LzWinky

Gen 1 lacked a lot of things, yet for some reason it's viewed as the best by some. Can't beat that nostalgia I guess

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

KingMike

@IceClimbers: Oh, I see. In Yellow Mankey was given Low Kick since in Red and Blue he has no real Fighting attacks (he has Karate Chop but that move was Normal in Gen 1).

KingMike

Late

They also altered Nidoran's moveset so that instead of learning Double Kick at level 43, it was changed so that both Nidoran can learn Double Kick at level 12. It's really weird thinking that Double Kick was the last move that Nidoran could learn in R/B but the base damage is 30 (lower than Tackle) although it does hit twice.

There have been some talk about attacks that don't let you move and while I think that can and probably is the most annoying thing about R/B/Y, another oversight they had was moves like Double Kick that hit multiple times where the first hit determines critical hits. You can do pretty devastating damage when you get a critical hit from the first hit and then all the additional hits do critical damage as well.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

jump

^My favourite was always Fire Spin from a fast Poke

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

KingMike

In Gen 1, Bug and Poison are SE on each other.
Didn't realize until I started a beginner-level Nuzlocke that makes Zubat actually pretty useful in gen 1 as Leech Life remains pretty weak but still useful as Team Rocket mostly uses Poison types. And the more important thing is that Poison type gets the only status immunity in gen 1.
I think in gen 4, out of battle poisoning was changed to only allow a Pokemon to drop to 1 HP (when it will be auto-cured), and in gen 5 the out of battle effect was removed entirely?
Though in my last playthrough I bought a lot of Awakenings at the end of the game, forgetting that the PokeFlute doubles as an infinite Awakening.

Female Nidoran/Nidorina is very useful in gen 2 to counter Whitney but I realized I think I kinda like that one, and found myself getting a lot of use out of Double Kick after that, but I forget why.

KingMike

jump

I'm trying really hard to remember what my teams were in Yellow and Blue now but the more I try to remember what it was the more I just want to play the game...damn nostalgia is gonna make me buy despite the overpricing putting me off.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Bass_X0

I used to give Hyper Beam to everyone that could learn it when I first played it, thinking it was a powerful move. I'm not doing that again.

My Mewtwo was the main Pokémon I used. I gave it Psychic, Recover, Swift and Ice Beam. It will be interesting to play through it again with 20 years knowledge and experience of how to effectively make up a move list.

Edited on by Bass_X0

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Smash_kirby

@Bass_X0: I used to alternate between thunderbolt and Ice Beam for Mewtwo.

Smash_kirby

KingMike

Last year I got a device to backup my save files from my original Pokemon carts (that still held their save files from about 1999).
Turns out my Red Hall of Fame team was Lapras, Scyther, Exeggcute, Rapidash, Pikachu and Haunter.
Apparently I never actually finished Blue. I probably beat Sabrina and then just stopped there. It seems I was on the side of Dome both games, though in Blue he was never even resurrected but left in the PC.
Looks like that run I was mostly using Pinsir, Haunter, Blastoise, Vulpix, Pikachu, Kadabra, Persian, Sandslash and Weepinbell (judging by the highest level Pokemon). I wonder HOW and WHY I ended up with a level 25 Magikarp. Why did I not evolve that thing? (RIP Bite and Dragon Rage (since it's not certainly not worth grinding Coins for the TM!), since there's no Move Reminder in Gen 1)

KingMike

Eel

I must have beat blue about a hundred times

My team was always an overleveled blastoise and other random reviver-fooder pokemon in case blastoise fainted.

Bloop.

shaneoh

My team almost always ended up as:
Blastoise
Venusaur
Charizard
Beedrill
Alakazam
Gengar

I always preferred Alakazam to Mewtwo because you're able to train it from a lower level.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

TeeJay

I've actually never played the gen 1 games. I started playing pokemon late into gen 3.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.