Forums

Topic: Pokemon on VC?

Posts 101 to 120 of 169

KingMike

And you can still complete the game alone.
Just not 100%.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

komodo182

Thanks to this thread, I now want to play the original games again.
Thanks guys....

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

nuts

You can play some of the pokemon games with the web browser now

nuts

Nintendo Network ID: nuts

Bass_X0

Mega Man Battle Network 2 lets you collect rare chips if you try to network with another player.

Perhaps Nintendo could allow you to trade Pokémon with Nintendo. Every week a different Pokémon would be available by Nintendo to trade for. Not the same as being able to battle and trade with another person, but you would still be able to complete your collection.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

TOUGHDUDE94

why can they use Pokémon bank for Pokémon game boy and game boy color I know color used and had a ir port on the top and the 3ds has one of those to so you can do it that way also I think Pokémon pinball will come soon with the next Pokémon retail game

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Kaze_Memaryu

It's not about being able to complete them - the older Pokémon games are simply outdated as hell. The only remaining appeal to them is nostalgia, say what you want. Every main Pokémon game trumped their predecessors in every regard, leaving not a single thing that would justify a re-release.
Which generation or game people like(d) or not doesn't matter - from a technical standpoint, the older Pokémon games are too flawed in comparison to the latest one.

Also, every single region is currently available on 3DS (Kanto and Johto in HG/SS, Hoenn in OR/AS, Sinnoh in D/P/PT, Unova in B/W+B2/W2, and Kalos in X/Y), so stop begging for junk.

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

TOUGHDUDE94

MorphMarron wrote:

You could say the same for every single VC game.

They're all outdated and nostalgic at best.

also the games are part of gaming history and they should be released for future generations and for people who did not get the chance

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

martinskrtel37

Kaze_Memaryu wrote:

It's not about being able to complete them - the older Pokémon games are simply outdated as hell. The only remaining appeal to them is nostalgia, say what you want. Every main Pokémon game trumped their predecessors in every regard, leaving not a single thing that would justify a re-release.
Which generation or game people like(d) or not doesn't matter - from a technical standpoint, the older Pokémon games are too flawed in comparison to the latest one.

Explain how the originals are "outdated" or "flawed"

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

komodo182

Kaze_Memaryu wrote:

Also, every single region is currently available on 3DS (Kanto and Johto in HG/SS, Hoenn in OR/AS, Sinnoh in D/P/PT, Unova in B/W+B2/W2, and Kalos in X/Y), so stop begging for junk.

I can't say I cared for anything past Silver. I do like the remake of silver, but I didn't care for platinum or white or white 2 or ruby or any of those.
I only really liked Red, Yellow and Silver.

Kaze_Memaryu

MorphMarron wrote:

You could say the same for every single VC game.

They're all outdated and nostalgic at best.

See, and that's where the misunderstanding lies. Of course, a good amount of VC games haven't aged well, but they're often not "less than their successors" but "different approaches". Pokémon always improved, but many other games simply have a certain uniqueness to them that are simply designed around the old platforms. See it like this: everything old Pokémon games offered in terms of gameplay has been improved in ways that make older games obsolete (new types, combat extension, abilities, EV training, contests, new Pokés) - they kept doing the same, but better.
But other old games, like Super Mario Land, Link's Awakening/Oracle games did something entirely different that never offered any space for "improvement", but different implementations - they played like their own games, and none of the later games among the respective series' play even similar to that. They all had their own identity, while Pokémon has a collective identity that is defined by recurring mechanics (travel, catch, fight), not unique ones.

@martinskrtel37 From R/B/Y:

• Special counts for both Sp.Atk and Sp.Def (rendering Alakazam the most overpowoered thing in existence)
  • Pokés have only one type
  • Ghosts have no weakness
  • Fire Spin, Bind, and other similar attacks prevent the enemy from attacking
  • 20 slots for items as a limitation
  • EV's are very random
  • and a lot more stuff that I don't remember right now

From G/S/C:

• EV evaluation still has strong randomization
  • not enough boxes to store all 251 Pokés

And these are only the specific limited mechanics. With the addition of abilities, double battles, vastly imporved box organizing options, fairy types, location-bound evolutions, contest mechanics, egg moves, and a lot of other things that are default mechanics now, the old games simply feel very limited by comparison.

@komodo182 Then isn't it reasonable to expect that you still own the original carts? I certainly still have my copy of Crystal, at least.

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

MonocledMetroid

@Kaze_Memaryu, there were dual-type pokemon in R/G/B/Y. Also, EVs weren't around until Ruby and the like, you'd just sort of keeping gaining stats for battling a ton even after maxing out your level.

MonocledMetroid

Eel

It's these differences and outdated features that make them worth playing again. I know there's no way to change your opinion about the subject though, so that's why I won't even try.

However, I don't think game freak will want to release any of their main Pokemon games as virtual consoles. Simply because that would mean charging less than full current-retail-price for them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

martinskrtel37

I don't see how any of that shows the original games are 'outdated' or 'flawed'. You seem to be defending the games because you enjoy how they got easier and more user-friendly.

I accept there were hardware limitations on the Game Boy meaning the developers had to restrict what they could do but that just makes what they did all the more sweeter. It still holds up in every area today.

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

komodo182

@komodo182 Then isn't it reasonable to expect that you still own the original carts? I certainly still have my copy of Crystal, at least.

Unfortunately, life happened and they had to be sold to help pay tuition. So I do not have them any longer.

KingMike

Kaze_Memaryu wrote:

• Special counts for both Sp.Atk and Sp.Def (rendering Alakazam the most overpowoered thing in existence)
  • Pokés have only one type
  • Ghosts have no weakness
  • Fire Spin, Bind, and other similar attacks prevent the enemy from attacking

There are 2-type Pokemon in Gen 1.
Ghosts do have weaknesses: themselves (though Lick is the only Ghost-type attack move) and due to the single Ghost family in the game have a Poison mix, they are weak to Ground (well, should be, though I haven't tested. No Abilities in Gen 1, so no Levitate) and Psychic. (Poison was also weak to Bug in Gen 1, however the Ghost type resists it, it seems, to give it a neutral effect. I didn't notice because while Gen 1 did compare types to properly count super-effectiveness when determining damage, it would often give the wrong sound effect/message because it printed the first message on a priority list than the actual net result of comparing the two types to the attack.)

I'll agree the lack of being able to attack on binding moves, as well as being unable to attack on the turn waking from Sleep made those quite abusable.
(I can remember my Gloom/Vileplume getting its face punched in by a Poliwag that sleep-locked it. I have read the AI is actually dumb as a brick in Gen 1, but it so happens that it was spamming Hypnosis because it is a Pyschic type move against my Grass/POISON type)
(though by the end you can use the PokeFlute for infinite Awakenings. Which you might need. )

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Eel

The one that has no weaknesses is psychic I think, it was meant to be weak to ghost but for some reason they aren't.

Not to mention that since the only ghosts were part poison, even if they were properly weak, they sti have the advantage.

One of my favorite glitches in the originals is using a weak grass-poison pokemon in Erica's gym, all of the pokemon with poison powder there (99% of them) will constantly try to poison your pokemon, but they can't. That's because trainers are programmed to take advantage of type matchups, and poison is strong against grass.

A similar glitch can be done on one of Lance's dragonites with a poison pokemon, he'll constantly use barrier because it's psychic.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KingMike

Bug is the only thing super-effective on Psychic, but Psychic is only resisted by itself.
Which leaves Paras/Parasect the default best choice. (and even then it's not an extreme advantage, while Parasect has the Attack advantage, Kadabra/Alakazam still has Speed and Special, so Parasect can probably take it down but it isn't getting out without some scratches)
As ALL other Bug types have a problem:
either part-Poison (give them weakness vs. neutral defense) or they don't know any Bug moves.

KingMike

Chaoz

martinskrtel37 wrote:

I don't see how any of that shows the original games are 'outdated' or 'flawed'. You seem to be defending the games because you enjoy how they got easier and more user-friendly.

I accept there were hardware limitations on the Game Boy meaning the developers had to restrict what they could do but that just makes what they did all the more sweeter. It still holds up in every area today.

That's a huge understatement. Pokemon Red was flawed in every way. And it not because Pokemon got "easier and more user friendly". For starters the types where screwed up because of the overpowered physic types. Some of the pokemon was completely unoriginal (There was a pokeball pokemon in the original and nobody blinks a eye, but a trash pokemon? Good godly pokemon is dieing!). The game was all around easy. There was no reward for completing the Pokedex besides you know a freaking piece of paper. The region was extremely plain and linear as all hell. The list can go on.

Daddy do you want some Sausage?
Wii U ID: dotmae
3DS FC: 3007-8540-3431

Nintendo Network ID: dotmae

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.