Forums

Topic: New VC games in Japan

Posts 701 to 720 of 747

KingMike

From what I understand, Taito still operates themselves in Japan, but S-E effectively holds the publishing rights to their games outside Japan.

KingMike

unrandomsam

KingMike wrote:

From what I understand, Taito still operates themselves in Japan, but S-E effectively holds the publishing rights to their games outside Japan.

Wikipedia says "Subsidiary of Square Enix" which is what I thought.

They don't own the rights they own the company.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Tsuchinoko

unrandomsam wrote:

KingMike wrote:

But I don't know if that's the whole story, since Square Enix is publishing Bubble Bobble in Japan as well.

Anyway, next week's update includes Chack'n Pop on the NES/Famicom, and Puyo Aruru no Ruu on the Game Gear. So more Game Gear Japan exclusive goodies. I'm not sure if Chack'n Pop is a Japan exclusive, since I've never heard of it. Its a precursor to the Bubble Bobble games. Its also published in Japan by SE.

And as a loyal 3DS owner, I'm really happy that Nintendo are giving attention to the non-Famicom games on the 3DS VC. While I love the NES/Famicom (and since I never got to play many of these games as a kid its nice to have access to a wide array of Japanese Famicom games), the handheld systems are really what I wanted to see on the VC. Even though it seems to just be Rockman/Megaman, Megami Tensei, Shining Force Gaiden, and Puyo Puyo games.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

KeeperBvK

Tsuchinoko wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

KingMike wrote:

But I don't know if that's the whole story, since Square Enix is publishing Bubble Bobble in Japan as well.

Why wouldn't that be the whole story? They own the company, so of course they also publish Bubble Bobble in Japan. Why wouldn't they?

KeeperBvK

Tsuchinoko

KeeperBvK wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Why wouldn't that be the whole story? They own the company, so of course they also publish Bubble Bobble in Japan. Why wouldn't they?

Because as he said before, they own the publishing rights to the games outside of Japan, even though they're publishing the games under SE, not Taito within Japan as well. I may be reading too much into it.

I did read somewhere that this sort of thing is why the Natsume games have yet to hit the Japanese 3DS VC, since they've been put on the VC everywhere BUT Japan. They were published by a company called Victor in Japan.

KingMike

From what I understand, Victor (known as JVC outside Japan) in the '90s merged their game development with another developer called Pack-In-Video (who made a lot of license games, most infamous Predator and Die Hard for the NES, but also a SFC platformer called Magical Pop'n I'd buy if it wasn't so overpriced) and that merged company became Marvelous Entertainment (Interactive?).
Harvest Moon and River King were Pack-in-Video franchises I think before the Victor merger (though only the first HM had been made then but there were already a few RK games).

KingMike

CrazyOtto

Japan gets Star Luster next week

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

CrazyOtto

Japan gets Mega Man Xtreme for the Game Boy Color, they also catch up on Sonic 1 GG one day before we get the 3D Classicized Sonic 1.

CrazyOtto

Tsuchinoko

KingMike wrote:

From what I understand, Victor (known as JVC outside Japan) in the '90s merged their game development with another developer called Pack-In-Video (who made a lot of license games, most infamous Predator and Die Hard for the NES, but also a SFC platformer called Magical Pop'n I'd buy if it wasn't so overpriced) and that merged company became Marvelous Entertainment (Interactive?).
Harvest Moon and River King were Pack-in-Video franchises I think before the Victor merger (though only the first HM had been made then but there were already a few RK games).

Hmm, weird. I wonder what that means for the Natsume games appearing on the 3DS VC in Japan. Its nearly 2014 and we still don't have anything from them.

CrazyOtto

Japan oddly gets the Game Boy version of Yoshi's Cookie despite the NES version being removed from the Wii VC.

CrazyOtto

KingMike

I blew 5 bucks downloading the NES version the last week it was available.
The GB version is slightly better because it has a VS. CPU mode.

Or maybe I didn't. Since Nintendo's page doesn't seem to ever want to update for me until AFTER I read your post... I can tell you you might be wrong.
It looks like it's actually Yoshi's PanePon (Tetris Attack, which means it'll remain only on the Japanese VC for licensing reason).

KingMike

CrazyOtto

KingMike wrote:

I blew 5 bucks downloading the NES version the last week it was available.
The GB version is slightly better because it has a VS. CPU mode.

Or maybe I didn't. Since Nintendo's page doesn't seem to ever want to update for me until AFTER I read your post... I can tell you you might be wrong.
It looks like it's actually Yoshi's PanePon (Tetris Attack, which means it'll remain only on the Japanese VC for licensing reason).

Yeah, I get Nintendo puzzle games mixed up alot.

CrazyOtto

Magikarp3

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

Final Fantasy NES coming to 3DS this week in Japan. Lucky!

Let the speculation for Dragon Quest begin

Or FFLegends, which I'm actually pretty curious to play. I don't get why SE doesn't release the updated rereleases of the FF series on the eShop instead, unless they have some sort of agreement to not do so.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

CrazyOtto

PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 is coming to both Wii U VC and 3DS VC in Japan next week, just when we thought we'd never see TG16/PCE again!

Japan gets Gradius and The Kung Fu for the PC Engine and Mega Man Xtreme 2 for the Game Boy Color.

On Wii U, they're getting Bonk's Adventure for PC Engine, Parodius for MSX, and Super Mario Bros 3 for Famicom/NES.

CrazyOtto

Tsuchinoko

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

MrSRArter wrote:

PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 is coming to both Wii U VC and 3DS VC in Japan next week, just when we thought we'd never see TG16/PCE again!Japan gets Gradius and The Kung Fu for the PC Engine and Mega Man Xtreme 2 for the Game Boy Color.On Wii U, they're getting Bonk's Adventure for PC Engine, Parodius for MSX, and Super Mario Bros 3 for Famicom/NES.

Finally! It's been so long! But oh, i forgot. Japan-only

Is it Japan only? I thought the PC Engine was released everywhere. Or do you mean for now?

And again people leave of the Game Gear game? Are you guys foing by what Wikipedia says? Those people never update it right.

In addition to The Kung Fu, Rockman X2, and Gradius, we also get Puyo Puyo Tsu/2 for the Game Gear.

And I just want to say Merry Christmas Nintendo, what a nice surprise update for Christmas day for us in Japan. Its not everyday we get a new console being put on the 3DS, plus a 4 game VC update.

The PC Engine will be on the western VC in no time.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Kawaii_Neko wrote:

MrSRArter wrote:

PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 is coming to both Wii U VC and 3DS VC in Japan next week, just when we thought we'd never see TG16/PCE again!Japan gets Gradius and The Kung Fu for the PC Engine and Mega Man Xtreme 2 for the Game Boy Color.On Wii U, they're getting Bonk's Adventure for PC Engine, Parodius for MSX, and Super Mario Bros 3 for Famicom/NES.

Finally! It's been so long! But oh, i forgot. Japan-only

Is it Japan only? I thought the PC Engine was released everywhere. Or do you mean for now?

And again people leave of the Game Gear game? Are you guys foing by what Wikipedia says? Those people never update it right.

In addition to The Kung Fu, Rockman X2, and Gradius, we also get Puyo Puyo Tsu/2 for the Game Gear.

And I just want to say Merry Christmas Nintendo, what a nice surprise update for Christmas day for us in Japan. Its not everyday we get a new console being put on the 3DS, plus a 4 game VC update.

The PC Engine will be on the western VC in no time.

You guys have the biggest VC titles that we in the US never get. Not to mention the pretty 3DS LL colors.

Hey, I'm not complaining! I see people complain all the time but I'm actually really happy, even though there are e-shop and VC games from the west that I want. VVVVVV is a game I've wanted to buy forever, and we still have yet to get those Natsume games (Legend of the River King and Harvest Moon). But I'm fairly happy. I'm glad that we do occasionally get these bursts of life in the VC like we're getting now in Japan.

I do hope that they really revamp the 3DS VC with other consoles and stuff, like Super Famicom and GBA, but I can wait.

CrazyOtto

Nothing is announced for Japan on the 3DS or Wii U VC for next year, but they could possibly get a suprise game like how they got SMB3 on the 3DS VC on January 1st 2013.

CrazyOtto

LzWinky

Ironically, the west seems to get better indie games than Japan

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

unrandomsam

DarkwingLz wrote:

Ironically, the west seems to get better indie games than Japan

Strange really as there is some really good indie stuff in Japan. (There is a wii game for creating shoot em ups that the included one is a japanese dojin shootemup who got paid nothing for it).

Blast Works (The Dojin I believe is called Tumiki Fighters).

The problem about the Japanese indie stuff is that it is so hard to find. (And it often rips of commercial sprites as well or is hentae.)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.