3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: New VC games in Japan

Showing 341 to 360 of 759

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

341. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Looks like Japan is getting Mega Man 3 (NES), Mighty Bomb Jack (NES), and G-Loc Air Battle (GG) for VC.

Also getting Denpa Ningen RPG 2 as their "Download Game".

They're really going all out with NES games, it looks like.

Arg! You beat me to it. I just got home. I thought I'd finally get to do the update announcement this week.

That G-Loc game will be our first new GG game is like, a month and a half. :) It actually looks fairly decent for an early handheld game, since it is first-person.
This being a triple game week, that puts our September 3DS VC game total to 8 games. Not bad. I think its tied with July first 2nd place.

Oh yeah, and just a bit of celebration. Coincidentally (or maybe not, who knows) Wrecking Crew, the final NES/Famicom game became our 100th game on the 3DS VC in Japan.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:Bravely Default, 極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei)モンスターハンター3G (Monster Hunter 3G)二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni)Looking forward to: Monster Hunter 4

AuthorMessage

KingMike

342. Posted:

Why did Mighty Bomb Jack removed the continue option from the Vs. System (arcade) in the NES version (not even available through a cheat code, whereas Solomon's Key kept the continue feature through a cheat). That game is too frustrating, especially when you get trapped in a corner without coins, leaving you with no choice but wait to get killed.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

343. Posted:

@KingMike I've actually never played that game before. Is it famous? Well, with save states, people can finally beat it then right? :)

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:Bravely Default, 極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei)モンスターハンター3G (Monster Hunter 3G)二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni)Looking forward to: Monster Hunter 4

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

344. Posted:

WHAT!!!!!!!

WHY DID CAPCOM SCREW UP THIS TIME?

Seriously, we should have the GB games by now. Now those boring NES games we all played. I already have MM II and II, and I will get MMI on the 3DS, but why can't we get the GB ones? now I feel like NOJ is abusing the NES VC.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage

Maskeraid

345. Posted:

@TheDreamingHawk You mean spoiling? :3

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

346. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

WHAT!!!!!!!

WHY DID CAPCOM SCREW UP THIS TIME?

Seriously, we should have the GB games by now. Now those boring NES games we all played. I already have MM II and II, and I will get MMI on the 3DS, but why can't we get the GB ones? now I feel like NOJ is abusing the NES VC.

I think the reason NoJ's bringing alot of Famicom games to the 3DS VC despite being on Wii in Japan is because Japanese gamers prefer to be able to take their games anywhere they go because they're not in their homes as often as we are. We're probably not going to get over 95% of the NES/Famicom games they get. The few exceptions are the other 5 Ambassador games, and we'll probably get some of Konami's NES games since Gradius is confirmed to be coming to NA.

Edited on by CrazyOtto

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I help keep these threads updated: New 3DS VC games in Japan, Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, and Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage

Hokori

347. Posted:

I'd still want a way to transfer my current wii VC to my 3DS, I don't wanna rebuy them just so I can take it on the go, maybe once they release a certain number of 3DS VC from all systems

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

348. Posted:

I hope we don't. I wouldn't mind the classics, but not random games like Blaster master or THE FREAKING SALAD KINGDOM.

AuthorMessage

KingMike

349. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

@KingMike I've actually never played that game before. Is it famous? Well, with save states, people can finally beat it then right? :)

I've only really seen it when gaming blog kotaku broadcasted an episode of Game Center CX (or Retro Game Master, as they retitled it) featuring that game.
I downloaded it to the Wii VC and probably played about 10-15 minutes before realizing how frustrating it can be.
It was originally based on a single-screen arcade game called Bomb Jack, where Jack had to use his super-high jumping skills to collect all bombs on the screen to pass the level. The NES/FC sequel expanded on that, using the original gameplay only for the ending scene of each level. Added to this game was a series of (increasingly) maze-like side-scrolling rooms the player must navigate through to find these end rooms called "palaces".
(the VC Operations Guide suggests the player map out the game as they play)
The big problem is that, despite Jack amassing a large number of bombs throughout the game, they cannot be used to attack enemies. Jack can collect coins and then can press B to consume them for power-ups. I think using one coin will enable Jack to jump on treasure chests to open them, two does something, and the biggest power-up, using 3 at once will allow Jack to turn all enemies on-screen into bonus items. The problem is that the transformation skill is the ONLY way to save Jack when an enemy is about to hit him and you don't have room to dodge it.
(the game encourages you to spend coins regularly. If you end up holding 10 coins at any time, you are punished for being "greedy" and warped to a "torture room" where you are forced to jump 60 times to escape. It actually more annoying than it sounds, because even if there weren't enemies in the room to avoid, Jack's incredible jumping power makes him slow to land (you have to master using Up/Down along with the jump button to alter the height of Jack's jumps), making those 60 jumps take a long time to complete. I do remember the first time he hit one, Mr. Arino (on Game Center CX) was confused what to do in the room or even what happened. I guess he didn't understand the English (even in the Famicom version) text that appears when you enter? :) )
The other thing about those "palace" rooms... so it seems if the player collects all the bombs in the proper order (based on the fuses lighting), the player can warp to the next "palace", effectively skipping most of the next stage (called "isles"). But if the player takes a hit, they are sent back to the last "isle" stage they placed (so it quite possible they could be warped back several stages if they fail using this warping method to skip through the game).

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

350. Posted:

@KingMike That sounds really frustrating. I think I was way too young for a lot of these games when they first came out, so for me, this is my first time with games like Super Mario Bros 2 or USA (I never played either of them, just the original and #3), the original Megaman, and games like Solomon's Key or Mighty Bomb Jack.

@TheDreamHawk I don't feel like Capcom is "screwing up", they know what they're doing. From the reviews I've read, the Megaman/Rockman series hit a right point at 2 and 3, with many websites and polls saying that three is one of the best NES games ever, and it would only benefit them to put them on the 3DS. Conversely, some of the reviews for the Gameboy titles are abysmal, I think I remember the ones for MM2 being particularly scathing, since the company they outsourced that title to was different than the ones for the other GB titles, and even Inafune was disappointed with it. Either way, I'm sure the GB titles will come out eventually.

@SRArter You're right about that. There's a huge movement in Japan towards portable gaming, and I'm a total convert to that. I have a Wii and a copy of Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy that I've never touched, but my 3DS gets sooo much playtime. I love my little portable toy.

A lot of people here are constantly on the go, whether its to work or school, friends houses, just out to eat, or just...I dunno, not home. Its different when you live in a country with such an advanced public transportation system. When I was living in the States last year, I almost never left the town I was in, I never went out, I was fairly bored. Here in Japan I'm not really home. I just feel that drive to just go somewhere. Having the 3DS really does make that feel like it can be part of my commute. A lot of people (myself included) play it at home too, with the headphones on all snug under the covers :) . Its really nice though that you can just get up and go with it whenever. I feel like a home console machine just kind of anchors me.

The 3DS really does help the time to pass when taking the train or night bus on long commutes as well.

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

351. Posted:

But game-play wise, MMII GB is just as great. It's just the level design and the STUPID music that caused it to be bad.

AuthorMessage

KingMike

352. Posted:

It sounds like the 2-4 are considered the high point of the NES series, but 5 and 6 are often considered unnecessary. Gravity Man was probably the coolest of the MM5 bosses (and possibly why he made the western cover art) and Charge Man was possibly the strangest (and less so why you get the (useful) "weapon" you do from him). One negative thing about 6 is that, while four of the Robot Master levels have alternate paths, one of them leads to a fake boss. Never played much of 6 so I'm not sure how badly you're punished for finding the "fake" boss and not the "real" one. (though you can probably apply game-designer logic and, when noticing a branching path in the level, assume the harder path is the right way :) )

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Nekketsu3D

353. Posted:

I keep waiting for a divine illumination of NOA to launch Megaman I and II in Eshop USA. -_-

Nekketsu3D

Twitter: AntiVenomGamer

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

354. Posted:

@KingMike wow, that's interesting. I feel dumb that I got the first MegaMan game, since I never played any of the NES/Famicom titles. I didn't know which ones were better than others. I wish I had gotten 2 or 3 instead with all the good impressions and reviews those games have gotten.

Maybe its strange, but I'm actually thinking about G-LOC. It's cheap, and it doesn't look too bad. I've never played a game like that before.

AuthorMessage

RR529

355. Posted:

^If you decide to get G-LOC, tell us how you like it. Even though I have no idea how long it's going to take for it to get here, I'm interested :)

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

356. Posted:

Mega Man 3 already? We havent even had the first one confirmed... :(

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

357. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Do other regions have other NES/Famicon games other than the Punch Out?

@RR529 I'll let you know. It wasn't a Japan-only release was it?

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

358. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Do other regions have other NES/Famicon games other than the Punch Out?

No, but many of the ones Japan has are understandable - many weren't released in the West. I'd have thought they would have given us some of the Mega Man games by now though - those would have a lot of demand.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

359. Posted:

@GeonJaha Yeah, you're right, though I'd expect Ninja Gaiden and Metafight to come out as well.

I'm starting to think about what other GB games are yet to come out that I want. There's quite a bit of GBC games yet to come out, but most of the big Game Boy games are out already. There's a few stragglers though.

AuthorMessage

KingMike

360. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

@KingMike wow, that's interesting. I feel dumb that I got the first MegaMan game, since I never played any of the NES/Famicom titles. I didn't know which ones were better than others. I wish I had gotten 2 or 3 instead with all the good impressions and reviews those games have gotten.

Maybe its strange, but I'm actually thinking about G-LOC. It's cheap, and it doesn't look too bad. I've never played a game like that before.

Might as well start with the first if you haven't played it. :)
I'm guess part of the reason it wasn't as successful (aside from the US version's famous bad box art) is that it didn't have a password feature, so until it was remixed (Rockman Complete Works 1 for PS1 in Japan, and Mega Man Anniversary Collection for PS2/GC/Xbox in NA) you had to beat the whole game in one sitting (those remixes added a memory card save option, which allowed you to save up to Dr. Wily's fortress.
The other thing is that the boss in the first stage of Dr. Wily's fortress might be one of the most memorable in the history of hard NES bosses.
He probably made many a gamer ragequit back in the day (when there weren't savestates).
(though the rare Mega Drive version was much easier thanks to the surprising amount of slowdown)

KingMike