3DS Virtual Console Forum

Topic: New VC games in Japan

Showing 261 to 280 of 760

AuthorMessage

RR529

261. Posted:

For the record, I'm an ambassador, but I wouldn't mind if GBA games were made available, because then I could play all the great GBA RPGs (Golden Sun games, Fire Emblem games, Pokemon games, Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts: CoM, Sword of Mana, & Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga). Oh, and I'd finally be able to play Metroid: Zero Mission as well :)

I won't get my hopes up though. Nintendo did a poor job in optimizing the GBA games they gave to us ambassadors for the 3DS. They were completely playable, but lacked the polish that went into optimizing GB,GBC,GG or even NES for the 3DS.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

262. Posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if James is begging Satoru Shibata to make a deal with SEGA to bring Genesis games to the 3DS VC. ;)

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Genesis/MD are coming at all of course, there's the Wii for Genesis/MD games and we don't that many Game Gear games yet. I just kind of wanted to make a joke. :) )

Also, I don't want this thread to go too off-topic, but then again, pretty much everything for JP's VC is announced up to the 22nd.

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage

Hokori

263. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

For the record, I'm an ambassador, but I wouldn't mind if GBA games were made available, because then I could play all the great GBA RPGs (Golden Sun games, Fire Emblem games, Pokemon games, Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts: CoM, Sword of Mana, & Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga). Oh, and I'd finally be able to play Metroid: Zero Mission as well :)

I won't get my hopes up though. Nintendo did a poor job in optimizing the GBA games they gave to us ambassadors for the 3DS. They were completely playable, but lacked the polish that went into optimizing GB,GBC,GG or even NES for the 3DS.

But remember NES games were poorly put on before they get updated, so maybe GBA could get updates

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

RR529

264. Posted:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

RR529 wrote:

[/div]

But remember NES games were poorly put on before they get updated, so maybe GBA could get updates

Actually, the NES games were optimized as well as any other VC games. The only thing they lacked was restore points. GBA games on the other hand function much more like DSiWare (of course, that still works, but isn't as convenient).

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

265. Posted:

Oh you mean the sleep mode and StreetPass I forgot about that :|

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

266. Posted:

Wow, a lot happened with this thread since the server meltdown.

I am aware of the type of emulation that the GBA games were given when put on the 3DS VC. I still think that there must be a way of updating/upgrading these games so that they are given the full treatment that has been given to the NES/Famicom games, even if it means that the Ambassadors have to re-download them if they are completely new files (since they don't have save states or sleep mode, it would benefit them too.

I and the others in the previous GBA games conversation had been talking about this, and other topics such as potential pricing, but were shut down when several people who were not part of the conversation at that point basically told us that our topic was pointless and that we should shut up because we "missed out" and shouldn't be whining, even though I maintained that it was just optimistic thinking and I would be happy either way. Still, it mostly turned into us being kicked out of our own thread.

Still, that was nothing compared to how I felt at the reception I had in the Japan Discussion. I haven't been told to kill myself before on this site.

Anyway, enough of this talk, let's talk about nice things! Yes, the Japanese VC is up all the way to the 22nd. I'm kinda sad about that, since its the bulk of my vacation, and the next update where I could potentially get something I want to buy isn't until the 29th. I'm still happy about getting Fire Emblem, so I'm not feeling down at all, and I still have yet to get Theatrythm FF, so I'll get that game this month.

Not sure what else there is yet to come on the VC for the Game Boy, other than the MegaMan/Rockman games, the Castlevania games, and possibly Pokemon.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:Bravely Default, 極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei)モンスターハンター3G (Monster Hunter 3G)二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni)Looking forward to: Monster Hunter 4

AuthorMessage

RR529

267. Posted:

^ There's always the Donkey Kong Land games, Zelda Oracle games, Final Fantasy Legend games, & the Dragon Quest GBC games.

Then again, these may just not interest you, which is why you didn't mention them :P

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

268. Posted:

I want X since we did get Xscape/returns

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

269. Posted:

@RR529 Well I didn't mention the Zelda Oracle games since they're GBC, and I was talking about Game Boy games. I know there's still tons of GBC games yet to come out, but it seems the majority of good GB games are already out, with the exception of the ones I mentioned. Dragon Quest hasn't been on the VC in any form on the Wii, so I was assuming it wouldn't come out on the 3DS as well.

I didn't mention the FF Legend games, which could potentially come out, and probably will, because of forgot about them. I did play one of the FF Adventure games, and I thought it was really bad, I could just be remembering it wrong though.

The Donkey Kong Land games feel redundant to me, since they are basically ports (right?), but I'm sure other people would want to play them. They had a weird release history in Japan though.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842Playing:Bravely Default, 極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉ファイアーエムブレム覚醒 (Fire Emblem Kakusei)モンスターハンター3G (Monster Hunter 3G)二ノ国漆黒の魔道士(Ni No Kuni)Looking forward to: Monster Hunter 4

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

270. Posted:

I think one of the FF Adventure games (I forget which one exactly) ended up getting remade as Sword of Mana for the GBA, didn't it? Having played a little of the GBA remake I doubt I'd be able to go back to a GB version, although I remember it playing like a JRPG with 2D Zelda style combat, if that interests anyone.

I can't think of a lot of good GBC games; for some reason I always remember GBC as being this little gap between Gameboy and GBA...

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Hokori

271. Posted:

I have fond memories of the original DKL, I actually want it to come out on VC, I also heard a rumor that Nintendo might do an update to allow color to GB games, if so it would be awesome.
Also since Japan's gettin Balloon fight, Ive always wanted to ask, is there a finish, to tht game? Because with restore points you could just go on and on right?

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

272. Posted:

@oiiopo Isn't there only one Final Fantasy Adventure game? And I believe that was always meant to be a Mana game, it was just originally marketed to be part of a Final Fantasy spin-off.

@LordOtakWiiU There has to be some sort of finish to the game right? I mean, would it just keep getting harder and harder?

AuthorMessage

RR529

273. Posted:

The GB FFs:

Final Fantasy Adventure - Originally a Mana title in Japan, it was marketed with the Final Fantasy brand in the west to up sales. It was an action RPG, and was later remade on the GBA as Sword of Mana (which I have played).

Final Fantasy Legend - It plays like a console FF, but the turn based battles only show your enemies (like a DQ game). I believe the first game had some issues, and isn't remembered very fondly, but I could be wrong.

Final Fantasy Legend II - The sequel to FFL. Not sure if a direct sequel, or not (it might be set in a new world, with new characters, like FF sequels are usually done, but I'm not sure). Improvements have been made since the first, and is generally well liked.

Final Fantasy Legend 3 - The final entry in the FFL series. Some minor Improvements to the formula.

To the person who said they don't remember that many good GBC games:

The GB was around for 7 or 8 years before the GBC came out, while the GBC was only out for 3 years before the GBA was released. Because of that, more games were released for the GB (since it was around longer), and thus has more good games.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

AuthorMessage

KingMike

274. Posted:

FFA/Seiken Densetsu (or Mystic Quest in Europe) was one of the earliest action-RPGs on the Game Boy, even predating Link's Awakening. The rumor is that it was original called Gemma Knights (or was it Genma?) but it got changed to Seiken Densetsu because Square liked the name and wanted to keep the trademark from a rather poorly planned and quickly canceled FDS game.

The FF Legend games were the first three games in the SaGa series.

FFL1: You lead a party of four adventurers (all hired from a guild) to unlock a mysterious tower to heaven. Every few floors you will find a door that magically leads you to a new world you need to conquer to complete.
You don't have any experience system in the game.
The available characters are humans (who can only increase stats by buying stat-up items), mutants (who randomly gain stat points after battle, as well as randomly changing available skills and elemental/status strengths/weaknesses) and monsters (who can only get stronger by eating the meat of stronger monsters).
Most notably, all weapons and shields have limited uses and you will lose them so you will need to replace them (so you probably save the good weapons until you really need them, and keep a supply of regular weapons on hand).
Also, all party members have limited lives. They start with 3 lives, and if they lose all HP and have no extra lives, they are gone forever and you will have to replace them. You can buy more lives but they are expensive.

FFL2: Explore numerous worlds connected through heavenly pillars to find 77 pieces of a goddess.
Gameplay is much the same as the first, except now humans randomly gain stats as well after battle (I think magic goes up if they use spells, strength and speed go up depending on weapons used). You now also have the option of robots who only gain stats by equipping items, but can recycle used weapons when resting at an inn (restoring the weapon to 50% of its original number of uses). Also, party members can't perma-die. (though on the downside, that means you can't change your team once you've selected them in the opening sequence). At times, you will also temporarily gain a fifth party member who will join you during parts of the story.

FFL3: Now this is MUCH more of a portable Final Fantasy game. Might be disappointing if you wanted another SaGa game, but you'd be happy if you wanted a portable FF game (as back in the day you couldn't get FF on a portable).
This game has a standard experience level system. Weapons don't expire. Spells are bought from stores and use is rationed by a normal MP system.
You have a predetermined party in this game, consisting of two humans (one male and one female) and two mutants (one male and one female). I think those gain stats like the humans and mutants in earlier games (humans gain more Strength while mutants gain more Magic power. Males develop Str/Mag faster while females develop Agility faster).
You can choose to eat monster meat or "install" robot parts randomly dropped after battle, which allows you to alter your character to gain their special skills (include resistance/weakness) and there stats (although they will be scaled a bit). However, what you will turn into depends on both the character's experience level and which of the four classic FF elements they are aligned with (those the alignment isn't printed in the game, so if you don't have the manual for this game, you're probably going to want to print yourself a replacement chart from the Internet).

Got to remember VERY few Game Boy RPGs got localized back in the day. Aside from the two Sword of Hope games, the only other turn-based RPG I can remember is an obscure game called Great Greed (or Vitamina Kingdom Story in Japan) by Namco (which itself I recall being a bit bizarre in the plot department).
Though it's probably safe to Japanese players had plenty of RPGs to choose from, unlike Americans who had few to choose from... and unfortunately I think Europe only got the first Sword of Hope originally?

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

275. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

@RR529 Well I didn't mention the Zelda Oracle games since they're GBC, and I was talking about Game Boy games. I know there's still tons of GBC games yet to come out, but it seems the majority of good GB games are already out, with the exception of the ones I mentioned.

Yes, a lot of the GB games are already out - but there are still plenty of good ones left to come.

• Mega Man 2-5 as you mentioned (but that's still 4 games).
  • Castlevania: Belmonts Revenge / Legends.
  • Pokemon Blue/Red/Green/Yellow
  • Operation C
  • Adventure Island 2

Those are some of the highlights, but there's always the chance we might see all the Final Fantasy and Duck Tales games as well. I'm also looking forward to a few lesser-known titles like Snow Bros Jr. and Dropzone. :D

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

276. Posted:

Looks like Japan is keen to get all of those NES ambassador games out of the way as soon as possible! NES Golf, Mario and Yoshi and Balloon Trip are all coming out next apparently. Balloon Trip being the only one you need to focus on obviously ;) (it'll have that much needed local multiplayer).

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

Hokori

277. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Looks like Japan is keen to get all of those NES ambassador games out of the way as soon as possible! NES Golf, Mario and Yoshi and Balloon Trip are all coming out next apparently. Balloon Trip being the only one you need to focus on obviously ;) (it'll have that much needed local multiplayer).

What about multiplayer in Yoshi?

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

278. Posted:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

What about multiplayer in Yoshi?

True, I forgot about that. Not that excited for Yoshi though - there isnt much connection between the players. Balloon Fight multiplayer on the other hand - we'll it bests Super Mario Bros, so 'nuff said.

Edited on by Geonjaha

AuthorMessage

TheDreamingHawk

279. Posted:

Actually Japan DID get the Dragon quest games on VC via a disc. Considering how will should get it when US dragon quest anniversary comes, I don't think we should worry about DQ I-II and III

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage

RR529

280. Posted:

As for little known GB games. I can't wait for Solar Striker. It's a first party (Nintendo) shooter in the vein of Twinbee & Xevious.

I had it as a kid & loved it, but could never beat it. I guess it's kind of Star Fox before there was Star Fox (of course, it's 2D instead of 3D).

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)